soapmak3r

Fix all of these things first!

I actually think inventory should be something that requires some forethought. I like that organising my backpack/gear takes a little while and that when I'm doing a raid on something I need to ensure I'm maximising space vs speed to pick things up. My problems with it are:

• Hard/impossible to tell what is on the ground without accessing it through menus, I think being able to visually distinguish things on the ground would make me a happy camper.
  • Speed/responsiveness of the UI, quickly picking things up is tricky given the lag and delay you get doing it.

I've never encountered the grass bug.

Agree on the other stuff, especially the spawning of zombies, which doesn't actually seem to be a bug, but a 'feature'. I'd like to carefully clear a town of zombies and then move in, but one shot in town and all my hard work is destroyed. It encourages 'bad' play, which is bad for the game imo.

I'd like to add that being completely vulnerable while gutting an animal is ridiculous...There is no way to cancel out of it once it has started. You are basically at anyone's mercy while the sound and animation plays...which I found out earlier as I tried to prone while some prick shot at me repeatedly with a silenced weapon and I couldn't prone, or move...Then I was dead.

When you are bandaging and move, it cancels, or giving morphine, or taking it, or giving a blood transfusion...so why not gutting an animal? Makes no sense.

Edited by soapmak3r
  • Like 1

Badjr is the worst troll ever. All the shit you keep posting saying your not affected by fucked up in the last patch man. And even my gaming rig is having low fps at random times just not for very long. Barbed wire can not be removed any longer at least not all the time.

Alos aggro is fucked atm. Espesially in the lingor map.

• Like 2

i think the graphical glitches need to be dealt with faster, that cocksucker that keeps saying its a hardware problem is wrong as it didnt start occuring till 1.7.2.4

and yeah i too have also wondered why i get lower fps on certain servers and high fps on others, i remember playing on a server that was so smooth i said to myself, "why cant all servers be like this?"

Edited by Carl's Sr.
  • Like 2

I haven't bothered with tents (because of the reported bugs), and have had very little luck with finding vehicles, which is why I didn't comment on them, but yeah...You can't balance the game properly until the really big, glaring issues are fixed.

Instantly springing to mind:

Zombies walking through things (biggest issue in entire mod).

Slow the zombies down until you get better, faster animations to replace them (second biggest issue).

Grass/leaves being bulletproof.

Inventory management f**king sucks balls.

Otherwise...I love this game like no other! ;)

I saw some interview with rocket, he basically said the reason why the zombies are so fast is because the AI is rather bad. The path for the zombies are actually very weird and some times they run in the wrong direction so if the zombies didn't have that insane speed you would never ever have to fight them xd. Apparently that needs to be fixed first and then the animations can get looked at.

Yea the fan on my computer runs harder playin day z than bf3 also. Also the server problem has to do with people having shitty computers and trying to host a server. They got terrible internet with a computer bought from Best Buy. There needs to be a min requirement to host a server.

I am not getting this glitch because I have sufficient hardware, hence it is caused by an issue with hardware.

Of course. How stupid of me and lots of others to think otherwise.

Enough hardware solves it all - Quad über l33t mega-CPU:s, striped SSD:s, 136 GB turbo-ram and an array of multi colored blinkenlights should solve most problems! Such a rig would most probably even solve the problem with duping tents.

Actually I had the option to remove the barbed wire, but I also had the scroll option to close/open doors. Closing the wrong door isn't a glitch with the game, it's your inability to utilize the scroll wheel.

Ah, so when you scroll down and get these options: "Close door", "Close door", "Close door" - then you know which one will close the door in front of you? And when the default is to close any of the doors you are not facing, you think this is acceptable? Let me guess, you design UI:s for a living, right?

Zombies aren't able to spawn 3 meters in front of you, their minimum spawn radius is quite a bit further than that; closest I've ever had a zombie spawn to me was about 2-3 houses away from me.

Zombies don't hit you through walls unless you're standing right next to the wall, which is more of a problem with the engine than anything fixable.

Not to mention, zombies lose aggro as soon as they get close to a doorway(or even most gates on fences).

I see. I guess the zombies which spawn just beside me at less than arm's length every now and then is just me having a bad case of hallucinations then... Oh well, to much morphine injectors probably.

No, wait... Could it be a hardware problem? Maybe i should add some gigs of memory or buy a new graphics card? Yeah, that must be it, will try it.

What gun were you using that attracted zombies? I've gone through a ton of primary and secondaries since the patch and they'll only attract maybe 2 or 3 zombies when fired in a decent sized city. In fact, I've found that I can run around with a remmington and never aggro a zombie from shooting it.

I have also not seen a zombie that didn't go down after a headshot, which are easy to get due to the predictable pathing system(they usually run either left or right then shoot straight toward you, easy headshots).

Troll much?

Troll much?

Some people talk so much crap that they actually start to believe what they are saying...

• Like 2

I think nobody minds organizing their gear in a backpack. What we do mind is guns getting eaten, because the backpack doesn't open, and you can only guess by the numbers how many slots you have left. Put a rifle in it and - bam, it's gone.

I have very good hardware, I need it for my job. Yet, since the last update I get the triangle artefacts, EVERY single time I play. And they are usually in the direction I have to walk into. This happened right in Cherno today and I must have been blind lucky that nobody shot me/spotted me. Nothing fixed the issue , even though I remarked myself how changing gamma and resolution helps. It doesn't. And you don't wanna reconnnect when you're right in Cherno.

So the graphical gliches really annoy me. After more than two years and massive amounts of patches, Bohemia still found no way to fix this? It's actually far worse on Dayz than on vanilla Arma, but whenever it occurs the game is over for me.

-

Also - let's not forget everybody has different bandwith and some of the problems with zombies spawning may not be the same for other players. I've seen zombies spawn right in the walls of a hut or inside a wall when I was only a few meters away. However, I've only seen that happen on servers that lagged a lot for me. It's almost classic MMO style sometimes, when you stand ten meters away from an infected and he hits you nonetheless.

Despite these known issues (that other MP games have too), I think the Infected AI is brilliant and they are interesting in their movement patterns. Unfortunately it seems like the infected never switch from one pattern to another. They are brilliant to counter, as long as you are crawling. If you move faster, you can easily get by tons of them and shoot the ones you have to. I almost never look at zombies now any more. My dude is a week old ingame and all I'm afraid of are graphic bugs, backpack issues and other players.

Edited by S3V3N

You could add to that list...

The hackers. It's getting ridiculous.

No consequences for being a murderer, so one person can have a massive negative influence on a server, and the community at large.

Most people seem to become a murderer because it is 'kill or be killed'. Hardly anyone even tries to communicate with you. They just shoot you in the back, or on sight.

For survivors, there is less and less incentive to play the game as time goes on. In it's current state, literally everything is balanced in favour of the people choosing to be murderers.

When you have invested quite a bit of time into a survivor and then some some 11 year old, or some adult with the mental/emotional capacity of an 11 year old murders you...Your will to support this mod starts to wane greatly.

Edited by soapmak3r

For survivors, there is less and less incentive to play the game as time goes on. In it's current state, literally everything is balanced in favour of the people choosing to be murderers.

Murderers and bandits have been given all the tools they need, and many more, to enable them to play how they want to play. They can kill whoever they want, steal their stuff, etc. We've also given them more than 100% anonymity, because even if players identify them in game, they can change their name and appearance whenever they want. It's about time that people who want to play a different way are given some more tools. It's our job to stop the murdering, but we don't have the tools to do that currently.

• Like 1

Murderers and bandits have been given all the tools they need, and many more, to enable them to play how they want to play. They can kill whoever they want, steal their stuff, etc. We've also given them more than 100% anonymity, because even if players identify them in game, they can change their name and appearance whenever they want. It's about time that people who want to play a different way are given some more tools. It's our job to stop the murdering, but we don't have the tools to do that currently.

Totally agree.

Please know this.

Most of the problems you stated are to do with the engine Rocket works on, RV. Bohemia has rights to this, and owns it, not Rocket. Until this game gets the "Good-to-Go" on working with BI's engine (which will be the ArmA3 engine), none of these will be addressed.

As for you complaining about features being added before problems being addressed, i will state the cliche line. "Alpha Bro".

Alpha is a game developing state where all you do, really, is add features, find what works/what doesn't, and finish the idea behind the game.

Beta is where you address bugs, fix small issues, balance guns, and all that. While in Alpha, adding as much features and ideas to see what works is the best way to develop a game. You all want something in the game, and it gets added in. It works or it doesn't, it creates more bugs to be fixed in Beta.

The only bugs that will be addressed in Alpha are game-breaking bugs. Such a thing is the artifacts, which as of the patch notes, are getting fixed in the next build. There a few "annoyance" bugs, such as breaking legs with doors, zombie clipping and such. Most of these are the result of the engine trying to do something that it was not built for.

TL;DR Have patience my friend. Once the game becomes a standalone Beta, these problems will all be high priorities. For now, features, features, FEATURES.

• Like 1

Please know this.

Most of the problems you stated are to do with the engine Rocket works on, RV. Bohemia has rights to this, and owns it, not Rocket. Until this game gets the "Good-to-Go" on working with BI's engine (which will be the ArmA3 engine), none of these will be addressed.

As for you complaining about features being added before problems being addressed, i will state the cliche line. "Alpha Bro".

Alpha is a game developing state where all you do, really, is add features, find what works/what doesn't, and finish the idea behind the game.

Beta is where you address bugs, fix small issues, balance guns, and all that. While in Alpha, adding as much features and ideas to see what works is the best way to develop a game. You all want something in the game, and it gets added in. It works or it doesn't, it creates more bugs to be fixed in Beta.

The only bugs that will be addressed in Alpha are game-breaking bugs. Such a thing is the artifacts, which as of the patch notes, are getting fixed in the next build. There a few "annoyance" bugs, such as breaking legs with doors, zombie clipping and such. Most of these are the result of the engine trying to do something that it was not built for.

TL;DR Have patience my friend. Once the game becomes a standalone Beta, these problems will all be high priorities. For now, features, features, FEATURES.

Actually, no. Traditionally, alpha testing is aimed at weeding out bugs and refining the product for maximum stability, not extending/ creating functionality. Software design and development is usually pre-alpha.

• Like 1

'Alpha bro' is a predictable response, and to a certain extent a fair one. However if the bugs/current gameplay too severely limit our ability to test things, how can features be tested?

How can we talk about gun balance when most of the games out there are duped/hacked? This is a fairly simple example, but the idea of 'tone down the number of high level guns' has merits as an idea, but is impossible to test given the state of the game currently.

Alpha bro is a legitimate statement in many cases, it's not a catchall for 'lets ignore bugs/hacks/exploits'.

• Like 1

How can anyone know what the next Real Virtuality Engine will be like? The artefacts have been in Arma (1) already.They just weren't that frequent or extreme. So, it might very well happen, they are in the next game, too. Any fix announced makes me suspicious about how they want to achieve this. I've only witnessed one patch so far, but for me 1.7.4.2 was the more stable version and more fun to play.

It's almost unplayable for me now - and all within a couple of weeks and after one patch. 'Also, I am sure they don't want to give us more tools to fight back (against banditry), because just adding stuff that isn't working and conflicts with things that already cause conflict doesn't make sense. The team is looking for solutions to make this game more stable, but it works with an engine that even Rocket stated "was meant to be a military simulation" and not created for a massive online experience.

I'd like to know about those two things:

- will the engine for the retail Dayz be custom build, or will it use Arma 3's engine with modifications?

- will the core concept of the Arma series (private server host, free 2 play, 1x purchase) stay the same for Dayz? Or will there be a centralized system for everything and several servers, controlled by BIS (like WOW=MMO)?

I don't think the latter will apply, since - at least now - Dayz isn't meant to sustain a character for weeks or even years. Perhaps 0,05% of all players would be able to survive that long. It would however give back server control to the game developers. Yet, then you'd have a prescription based system or a big number of cash-shops (run by NPCs in-game), where you can buy ammo and certain guns, or even cars; that would completely ruin everything, imho.

So, it is really difficult to create this game and not fail. Rockstar puts 100 Million $ + into either of their games. They buy the finest external components (Euphoria, Havok, etc.) to make sure the sandbox experience is controllable and gives THE ILLUSION of freedom. Here we are with Dayz, the one game that wants to give freedom for real, and we see how it doesn't work on too many ends.

I've played games/mods in Alpha. Even Pre-Alpha. They were different. If your philosophy is ultimate freedom and you hand out dozens of guns, everybody is just going to shoot each other. There is a clear rule in writing that every author knows, which is: when you show a gun at the beginning of your movie, somebody is going to shoot it, in the end. This is your story. Not quite enough, but still a good start. I just hope it doesn't get worse from here.

Edited by S3V3N

What people either choose to ignore or just plain don't bother to read up to learn in the first place is that:

Most of what you are complaining about is a result of Arma II not DayZ and cannot/will not be fixed until the standalone (this applies especially to the hacks). It's all been beaten to death before if you read the read me and search for existing topics before creating new ones you'd probably have seen that.

And yes, Inventory management is a sack of shit. Kind of like a one hand hatchet taking up a rifle spot, or not being able to hold a flashlight with a gun, but thems the breaks when you play an alpha.

Edited by Sinvex

I totaly agree with you on all the FIX THIS in your first post.

if all that was fixed dayz would be completely different in a better way.

• Like 1

Anyone complaining about how this is unfixable because of the Arma engine are the ones not looking into it properly. Yes, some of the problems are currently unfixable. But the artifacting? They had it reasonably stable once, which means they can do it again. More importantly they can just remove dead military bodies and broken military trucks from the game altogether as they dont actually do anything other than cause the glitches and that would solve 90% of the problem since barbed wire doesnt cause it anywhere near as badly. of course they could always remove barbed wire as well so that it isnt used just for blocking doorways for no reason and replace them with more sandbag stuff. that way the graphics glitch would instantly be gone with nothing useful lost and done very quickly.

Anyone complaining about how this is unfixable because of the Arma engine are the ones not looking into it properly. Yes, some of the problems are currently unfixable. But the artifacting? They had it reasonably stable once, which means they can do it again. More importantly they can just remove dead military bodies and broken military trucks from the game altogether as they dont actually do anything other than cause the glitches and that would solve 90% of the problem since barbed wire doesnt cause it anywhere near as badly. of course they could always remove barbed wire as well so that it isnt used just for blocking doorways for no reason and replace them with more sandbag stuff. that way the graphics glitch would instantly be gone with nothing useful lost and done very quickly.

You state we dont look into it. But you haven't looked into that the NEXT PATCH will fix what changed in the last Beta build and DayZ update.

To all those saying Alpha is about bug fixing, i beg you to reconsider. Alpha is where the game is still being built. Obviously bugs that are game-breaking NEED to be addressed, and they have been. Duping guns and ammo is a bug that is being looked into to do with Tent duping, but really, its not game breaking. Do my guns work? Can i still shoot zombies/players? Than it is not game breaking. Annoying? Yes, but in Alpha it holds no priority over TEST, TEST, TEST. Features being added in and removed is exactly what Alpha is.

Standalone Beta will be where major fixes start happening to the modified ArmA3 Engine. Please stop making "Y U NO FIX" threads.

Another annoying bug i experienced a few times were dead or maybe disconnected survivors still standing around but you hear the flies and you can take there stuff. But not before you try to talk to them and then shoot at them before realizing its buggy.

The Zombies along with the performance issues and item issues should be fixed first!

Items: I once had 6 rotor engines for the helicopter lying in front of me after trying to drop just one.

Did u ever try proning on a staircase like the one leading up the fire station? U sometimes fall through.

• Like 2

That its Alpha. It's better to call the game phase as alpha then saying we have problems 'cause We don't know how to fix it. It's better to call it alpha, and say it can be not working 'cause ITS ALPHA. For god sake, I think even we get Beta, before Standalone will comes out.