lexxer

Player corpses disappearing in new patch?

I killed 2 players last night and both corpses disappeared when I went to loot them.

Then one of our friends got killed and as soon as he disconnected to rejoin his corpse poofed as well.

Is this a new bug or was it always like this and I'm just losing it.

That happens to me as well! I lost an ALICE pack... but i got another one from his comrade who tried to save him!

I dont get why they disappear though!

This happened to me and my friend after we killed some dude earlier. My friend looted him first then left some beans on the corpse for me to take. His corpse vanished but could still hear the flies buzzing.

I can confirm this. I was out with a friend and I got sniped. I went to the You are Dead screen, aborted and reconnected expecting to respawn. Meanwhile my buddy took out the bandit, who DC'd seconds after being slotted. When I respawned (a few moments after the bandit logged) I came back again in the same position. However both my old body and the bandit body had since disappeared- the exact moment the bandit logged.

Yeah, this is annoying. When I try to loot the people I've killed, or even grab the important stuff from my fallen allies, I have a very limited window until they respawn again, meaning the body disappears. It also makes it impossible to get back to your previous location and grab your precious items.

I really hope this gets fixed, as it's a major gameplay element.

Yes, this happened last night to my group. We killed a survivor and my friend got the kill, however there was no "player was killed" on the chat log. I recorded the whole thing and the message does not appear. I was later killed by a bunch of zombies due to the rubble pile at the NWAF in front of the ATC tower. No "player was killed" message popped up at that time either. Later it was discovered that the guy we killed had disappeared and also my body had too. Not very fun.

Happened to me as well, was watching a player get mauled by zombies in fire-station, by the time I came to his rescue he was dead. Cleared the zombies before looting and his corpse disappeared.

Yes' date=' this happened last night to my group. We killed a survivor and my friend got the kill, however there was no "player was killed" on the chat log. I recorded the whole thing and the message does not appear. I was later killed by a bunch of zombies due to the rubble pile at the NWAF in front of the ATC tower. No "player was killed" message popped up at that time either. Later it was discovered that the guy we killed had disappeared and also my body had too. Not very fun.

[/quote']

That sounds like a different issue.

The issue we're talking about is when a player is definitely killed, and the game displays his death, but the body disappears immediately on their respawn. It makes it impossible to loot/recover whatever they had in their inventory.

Confirmed, I've experienced this as well. Last night I saw it in effect several times. The bodies didn't last long enough to loot in some cases.

Yes' date=' this happened last night to my group. We killed a survivor and my friend got the kill, however there was no "player was killed" on the chat log. I recorded the whole thing and the message does not appear. I was later killed by a bunch of zombies due to the rubble pile at the NWAF in front of the ATC tower. No "player was killed" message popped up at that time either. Later it was discovered that the guy we killed had disappeared and also my body had too. Not very fun.

[/quote']

That sounds like a different issue.

The issue we're talking about is when a player is definitely killed, and the game displays his death, but the body disappears immediately on their respawn. It makes it impossible to loot/recover whatever they had in their inventory.

The server was SE9 if that makes any difference.

Confirming, friendly went down after we came back for his corpse 3 minutes later we couldn't find it.

Bad quality' date=' but you can see what happens.

Edit: this is the no "player was killed" message appearing, shortly after his body disappeared.

[/quote']

You can turn off the "player was killed" message in server settings, and I think it's off by default on expert servers. If you didn't see any "player was killed" messages it was probably that. If you saw some but not others then I don't know.

I also couldn't find any dead bodies last night, I heard flies three times but no bodies. Someone else on the same server was having the same problem as well.

Hopefully this gets fixed. Killing people is much less fun when I don't get my booty.

That sweet, sweet booty.

mmm...

Also, I'm a retard but I'll still suggest the following: Could it have anything to do with players logging off? Cause I notice zombie corpses despawn when the killer logs off.

That might explain the weird things I noticed today. I had bled out sad and alone in an abandoned house, and spawned back at the coast. When I moved around about I started hearing flies coming from nowhere. This repeated several times as I was moving along the coast.

Also' date=' I'm a retard but I'll still suggest the following: Could it have anything to do with players logging off? Cause I notice zombie corpses despawn when the killer logs off.

[/quote']

Possibly. I saw a guy get killed by zombies last night and by the time I got to his body it was gone, but he was still playing in the server. Maybe it happens when players log off OR respawn?

Also' date=' I'm a retard but I'll still suggest the following: Could it have anything to do with players logging off? Cause I notice zombie corpses despawn when the killer logs off.

[/quote']

Possibly. I saw a guy get killed by zombies last night and by the time I got to his body it was gone, but he was still playing in the server. Maybe it happens when players log off OR respawn?

Yes, it happens when players disconnect or respawn.

I'd say it has something to do with this:

HOTFIX : 23 MAY 2012

Affected addons:

* dayz_code 1.5.8.3

Changelog:

* [FIXED] Temperature not increasing in sunshine

* [FIXED] Cleanup not occuring on servers for loot (causing massive lag and FPS issues)

* [FIXED] Fires can't be placed in buildings

* [FIXED] Tent's cannot be placed easily (reduced object checking zone area)

and registering bodies as normal loot piles so when a player leaves the area, it is cleaned up.

I think it's the new map clean up. It seems to have abit of a quick clean up cycle. I seen it happen a few times last night. Also I could hear flies around various parts of the south coast where people had obviously been killed but their bodies were gone.

Can confirm this to.. Dropped a survivor that as trying to Steel the loot in MY barn with a clean head-shot from the makarov.. He wen down.. I went to loot him... Got the gear menu up and saw his loot.. The is all went poof and it and his body where gone.. like 20-30 sec after he died.. prob he disconnected or respawned..

Is this some new system to discourage player killing?

Thinker

I had the same problem with bodies disappearing quickly within a matter of minutes. I was involved in a pretty epic early morning shootout at the S/W Airfield and managed to kill 2 different groups of guys and some loners totaling 8 people. I was only able to see 3 people’s bodies that were closest to me and was able to get to them quickly and loot. I knew the area where I had killed them but could not see bodies but I could hear flies where the bodies should have been.

Don’t know if it has anything to do with the more aggressive clean up system but I find it weird that zeds that I kill stay on the ground for a long time before going away.

It’s hard to loot bodies quickly when there are multiple people still around or coming in from hearing the gunshots or if you have to run to dispatch some zeds that want to eat your lunch or all of the above but it seems when you get out of view of the bodies they vanish.

I really find this annoying when you spend precious ammo and risk your neck and gear sticking around after a fight engages only to find no reward for your efforts or you get wasted in a futile attempt looking for a body that doesn’t exist anymore.