lnfighter

Yes another "get rid of sniper guns" whine

I say get rid of AS50 keep the M107 because the audio level and aggro balance the 1 shot kill from 1600m part. I would then say maybe replace the L85 with a Laser Designator.

I'm just sick of sniper guns in video games having such unrealistic sniper mechanics. IRL, a sniper has 1 reliable shot (the 1st), a second shot if they're good and lucky. A third shot is almost unheard of from what I'm told.

It's called a cold bore shot. I do precision shooting (mainly in .270cal) and I use multiple rifles for that very reason. I see your point though. But, if you think snipers are unrealistic and should therefore be removed, then so should most other guns. For example: Why don't the MP5, M9, and Glock17 take the same ammunition? They are all 9x19 Parabellum. Why do the SD versions of these guns require special SD (subsonic) ammo? 9x19 velocity is very close to the speed of sound but not quite so there's no point is having to get special ammo for a suppressed 9mm since the rounds are subsonic to begin with. Then there's the 5.56x45nato. I don't even think you can find any subsonic ammo for that. To keep a 55/65 grain projectile from breaking the sound barrier you would have to load it very light, lighter than a .22LR, and we all know how devastating a .22 is! I've loaded my own subsonics for my AR system and 90% of them didn't even cycle the action.

The problem with most video games and snipers is that there are a lot of stupid assholes who can't kill people any other way, without dying, so they need to be 300 yards away to avoid injury. And also if all guns were as realistic as the real deal, most people wouldn't even want to play the game. Do you know how hard it is to sprint 50 yards then immediately come to a stop to take aim and accurately engage a target 100 yards away? In war, the average distance that a firefight will take place at is 50 yards... and most of the shots fired never hit their intended target (although a lot of it cover fire)

And last but not least. I have a pretty big arsenal of modern (polymer) firearms. I don't have a .50 cal metallic cartridge rifle yet (i do have a .50cal black powder tho). So during a zombie apocalypse you would find a lot of the guns you see in DayZ if you came to my house. All of them are civilian versions of course therefore lacking selective fire control groups (auto) but that's another point I will make; if you want to shoot a gun accurately, you don't full freaking auto! That's just a waste of ammo!

Edited by Cummins
  • Like 2

This game isn't meant to be realistic, i'm sick of hearing "This is a realism zombie apocolypse game why isn't factor x realistic" it's not, it's a hardcore survival game. No where does Rocket say "this is supposed to be the most true to life mod ever", think about how many things in this game are wildy unrealistic, ghillie suits in civillian houses, being unable to drink from a lake wihout a waterbottle, random car tyres and engine parts littered everywhere, recovering health from eating a tin of beans... so realistic.

In one breath you complain about realism factors yet you say we should only be allowed 1 tent per person per server? I'm not aware of a universal law where a person can only own one tent in this plane of existance, so why should we only be allowed one tent, that's unrealistic. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Another complaint about the zombie movements which are part of the ARMA 2 engine which the DayZ devs can't modify. /sigh

End of the day this thread just sounds like someone who is butthurt about being killed by snipers or people who've hoarded loot since i don't see any complaints about the other, far more unrealistic elements of this game.

Honestly, I love sniping in DayZ, because I love killing other players.

But those 1 hit weapons shouldn't be in game.

Good posts guys :)

And to correct a few things, I'm not mad and I've only been sniped 2 or 3 times on this game. I move constantly in the woods, and I've killed many snipers after they fire their first shot and I know where they are. Seems most snipers in games can't handle "zig zagging at varying speed" targets. Just a few days ago, I took out a sniper with a hatchet after he fired at me about 80m away. Just went zig zag tree to tree until I was in his face.

As for the "it's alpha" kiddies. I know it's alpha. I know there are lots of problems. That doesn't change the fact that we all should be giving feedback on things that will make the game better. The problem I have with "its only alpha" kiddies, is they give no helpful feedback on how to make the game better. They're happy with a broken game just because "its alpha". Why aren't you trying to help make a better game.

And as I said, I'd prefer to make these guns/ammo super rare, but until duping and infinite ammo are fixed, it's pointless to nerf drop rates. And if the guns, aren't removed, there should be some changes to them. NO auto fire on any sniper gun. Increase all audio levels 2x-3x the range. No more ammo converts for dmr<->m24. Every shot has bright muzzle flash. There needs to be more consequence for pulling the trigger on a sniper gun.

But anyways, I'm trying to help make this a better game. Why aren't you guys?

It's called a cold bore shot. I do precision shooting (mainly in .270cal) and I use multiple rifles for that very reason. I see your point though. But, if you think snipers are unrealistic and should therefore be removed, then so should most other guns.

I have a pretty big arsenal of modern (polymer) firearms. I don't have a .50 cal metallic cartidge rifle yet (i do have a .50 cal black powder tho). So during a zombie apocalypse you would find a lot of the guns you see in DayZ if you came to my house. All of them are civilian versions of course therefore lacking selective fire control groups (auto) but that's another point I will make; if you want to shoot a gun accurately, you don't full freaking auto! That's just a waste of ammo!

Beans for your knowledge sir. Please maintain your sanity throughout the remainder of your life so that arsenal doesn't become part of a news story :)

Edited by manglips
  • Like 2

When you come up with a way for a video game to blow wind in my face at variable speeds and directions, we can talk about making sniper mechanics more realistic.

This game isn't meant to be realistic, i'm sick of hearing "This is a realism zombie apocolypse game why isn't factor x realistic" it's not, it's a hardcore survival game. No where does Rocket say "this is supposed to be the most true to life mod ever", think about how many things in this game are wildy unrealistic, ghillie suits in civillian houses, being unable to drink from a lake wihout a waterbottle, random car tyres and engine parts littered everywhere, recovering health from eating a tin of beans... so realistic.

In one breath you complain about realism factors yet you say we should only be allowed 1 tent per person per server? I'm not aware of a universal law where a person can only own one tent in this plane of existance, so why should we only be allowed one tent, that's unrealistic. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Another complaint about the zombie movements which are part of the ARMA 2 engine which the DayZ devs can't modify. /sigh

End of the day this thread just sounds like someone who is butthurt about being killed by snipers or people who've hoarded loot since i don't see any complaints about the other, far more unrealistic elements of this game.

The 1 tent thing is to combat hoarding and loot cycle farming. If you're going to allow unlimited tents, then loot cycle needs to be nerfed HARD. Items respawn after 2-3 hours if you're going to allow endless tents.

The main problems killing this game are duping and loot cycle farming. You can spend 2 hours in a store or military spawn and get a ridiculous amount of items since the respawn is 2-10 mins. We talk about realism, but why is no one mentioning this?

When you come up with a way for a video game to blow wind in my face at variable speeds and directions, we can talk about making sniper mechanics more realistic.

Had I gone to school for computer program, I honestly would work in the gaming industry. I went to school for kinesiology and train athletes though.

I'm sorry, but how are developers ever suppose to improve their games if no one gives feedback/criticism? If we all just sit here silently, how are the devs ever suppose to know whats wrong with their games?

I know it's a video game, so I usually let it go. BUT, everyone keeps mentioning "realism" with this game, so why not change one of the most unrealistic things about the game?

And i've already did my time in the army, but I was CID. You're welcome kid.

You just got out the army? A minute ago your cousin just got out the army. Make up your mind lol.

You just got out the army? A minute ago your cousin just got out the army. Make up your mind lol.

I said I did my time. I didn't say I just got out. Read slower :P

The problem on snipers seems to be blown way out of proportion in my eyes, or am i just lucky? in the few months which i've played (pretty much everyday) I've only ever been killed by a sniper once, and only shot at three times by one!

Beans for your knowledge sir. Please maintain your sanity throughout the remainder of your life so that arsenal doesn't become part of a news story :)

All these weapons ARE the reason I haven't gone completely bananas yet hehe. To me, nothing is more relaxing than killing some tin cans, potatoes, and zombie... paper targets. And of course going to my gun club when there's an NRA competition taking place.

As for the "it's alpha" kiddies. I know it's alpha. I know there are lots of problems. That doesn't change the fact that we all should be giving feedback on things that will make the game better. The problem I have with "its only alpha" kiddies, is they give no helpful feedback on how to make the game better. They're happy with a broken game just because "its alpha". Why aren't you trying to help make a better game.

And as I said, I'd prefer to make these guns/ammo super rare, but until duping and infinite ammo are fixed, it's pointless to nerf drop rates. And if the guns, aren't removed, there should be some changes to them. NO auto fire on any sniper gun. Increase all audio levels 2x-3x the range. No more ammo converts for dmr<->m24. Every shot has bright muzzle flash. There needs to be more consequence for pulling the trigger on a sniper gun.

But anyways, I'm trying to help make this a better game. Why aren't you guys?

No, you're just another whiner.

Duping is already a known bug and I'm sure it's being looked into. They already fixed duping in various ways, it's only a matter of time till it's fully fixed.

If you'd genuily care about the game, you'd be posting this stuff in the suggestions/bug reports forums instead of whining about it in GD.

Similar to how I made a long post, which is cited in my signature, about how I think altF4ing should be fixed.

Or similar to how I posted various descriptions & screenshots in the artifact thread, helping to get that fixed.

Just because I don't bitch like a little whiny kid on GD, doesn't mean I don't try to help Rocket in any way I can to make this mod even better than it already is.

And yes, I'm happy with the broken game, incredibly happy infact. DayZ is a very innovative game, completely different from anything else I've ever played. And I'm really thankful that I'm able to play it already, even if it's a unstable, broken version because it's in its alpha stage.

If DayZ was like most other games, I'd probably have to wait another year (atleast) before I could even get to know it, let alone play it. So I'll gladly take DayZ in its current stage, along with the millionns of glitches, bugs, instabilities, hackers, etc... for now.

• Like 1

All these weapons ARE the reason I haven't gone completely bananas yet hehe. To me, nothing is more relaxing than killing some tin cans, potatoes, and zombie... paper targets. And of course going to my gun club when there's an NRA competition taking place.

I want to join a gun club. I didn't use many firearms when I was in army outside of basic training. I live in Boston though, the most anti-gun city in existence. I really want to become proficient at pistols and small firearms.

No, you're just another whiner.

Duping is already a known bug and I'm sure it's being looked into. They already fixed duping in various ways, it's only a matter of time till it's fully fixed.

If you'd genuily care about the game, you'd be posting this stuff in the suggestions/bug reports forums instead of whining about it in GD.

Similar to how I made a long post, which is cited in my signature, about how I think altF4ing should be fixed.

Or similar to how I posted various descriptions & screenshots in the artifact thread, helping to get that fixed.

Just because I don't bitch like a little whiny kid on GD, doesn't mean I don't try to help Rocket in any way I can to make this mod even better than it already is.

And yes, I'm happy with the broken game, incredibly happy infact. DayZ is a very innovative game, completely different from anything else I've ever played. And I'm really thankful that I'm able to play it already, even if it's a unstable, broken version because it's in its alpha stage.

If DayZ was like most other games, I'd probably have to wait another year (atleast) before I could even get to know it, let alone play it. So I'll gladly take DayZ in its current stage, along with the millionns of glitches, bugs, instabilities, hackers, etc... for now.

You seem to me as a guy whining about people who whine. Pot, meet kettle.

The 1 tent thing is to combat hoarding and loot cycle farming. If you're going to allow unlimited tents, then loot cycle needs to be nerfed HARD. Items respawn after 2-3 hours if you're going to allow endless tents.

The main problems killing this game are duping and loot cycle farming. You can spend 2 hours in a store or military spawn and get a ridiculous amount of items since the respawn is 2-10 mins. We talk about realism, but why is no one mentioning this?

So the best way to fix duping issues is to set unrealistic limitations? You can't come here asking for balance under the guise of realism then demand unrealistic features.

Basically what you mean to say is "Duping needs to be fixed" (which it can't be, Rocket has already said this too). So the way to stop duping is to punish legit players like me who have multiple tents filled with rare loot gathered through legitimate means over the space of 3 weeks, not a few hours camping one spot. This isn't going to stop dupers, you only need 1 tent to dupe. Infact you can dupe some items without even using tents. Most people who loot cycle use vehicles for storage anwyay since putting your tents near a high activity area is idiotic and lugging loot miles would defeat the point of loot cycling.

And once again, how is loot respawning at all realistic? I don't take something out my fridge, come back after 3 hours and it's replaced. Yet again, you're asking for balance changes and throwing the word realism in to try and justify the changes.

Edited by Nam Otatop

We all keep mentioning realism with this game. Well, realistically in the time of chaotic apocalypse, the only weapons the most people would have access to are pistols, shotguns, hunting rifles, MAYBE short range light machines guns. So why is it we're all walking around with L85 and AS50s?

Realistically, in Eastern Europe, there would be virtually no civilian owned weapons. And if we are talking about gun ownership in the states, you've never seen the inside of most american's gun cases. A .30 cal bolt gun with magnified optics would likely be the first thing you see.

Learn the glass that treeline with your binocs before running across the open field maybe?

I want to join a gun club. I didn't use many firearms when I was in army outside of basic training. I live in Boston though, the most anti-gun city in existence. I really want to become proficient at pistols and small firearms.

I can't help you with that. Here in VA every human being is sporting a gun on their hip. I'm sure there are some gun ranges where you can go practice, most places even have firearms for rent. A gun club is a different story tho, they are very hard to get into (most of them being "invitation only") and you have to pay a generous amount of money to get in.

If you want realism you might want to consider other aspects first such as those that I suggested earlier: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/55481-yes-another-get-rid-of-sniper-guns-whine/#entry530870 .

Loot cycling is far from an efficient method aswell, server jumping is way bigger of an issue. Yet nerfing tents has absolutely no relevance to that. Nerfing a perfectly viable mechanic in order to reduce the effectiveness of a bug instead of fixing the bug? What kind of stupid-ass logic is that.

Loot cycling & duping are bugs. Report them so they get fixed, They have nothing to do with realism or tents.

You seem to me as a guy whining about people who whine. Pot, meet kettle.

Nice argument, oh wait

IRL, a sniper has 1 reliable shot (the 1st), a second shot if they're good and lucky. A third shot is almost unheard of from what I'm told.

Wait, what? I'd be really curious to hear why that is.Secondly, this game is a cut above just about every other FPS out there. At least it models bullet drop.

Wait, what? I'd be really curious to hear why that is.Secondly, this game is a cut above just about every other FPS out there. At least it models bullet drop.

I explained this to him on the first page.

It's not so much the snipers themselves as the fact that no game seems to have realistic sniper mechanics. My cousin just got out of army and was a sniper for 5 years. He explained sniper mechanics and methods to me. And if you've ever seen the show Top Shot, you see how difficult it is to land long range shots (and those are supposed to be the best shooters on that show).

I'm just sick of sniper guns in video games having such unrealistic sniper mechanics. IRL, a sniper has 1 reliable shot (the 1st), a second shot if they're good and lucky. A third shot is almost unheard of from what I'm told.

Since the mechanics in video games are so absurd, it allows people to camp and snipe untouched and get endless kills.

Just my opinion but I feel this game would be so much better if they removed AS50, M107, DMR, SVD, L85, and maybe the M24.

We all keep mentioning realism with this game. Well, realistically in the time of chaotic apocalypse, the only weapons the most people would have access to are pistols, shotguns, hunting rifles, MAYBE short range light machines guns. So why is it we're all walking around with L85 and AS50s?

Also the following bugs/changes need to be fixed immediately and will change the game to more realism:

No full ammo on relog or full ammo on converting.

Only 1 tent per player per server

Zombies run straight line, but can now hit while moving

The game needs to focus on SURVIVING, not hoarding and sniper camping.

In a post-apocalyptic world why would you not hoard, it's foolish to leave behind things that you would need later but wouldn't need at the time. Access to high-powered weapons would still be possible, especially in a country inhabited with some american military. Snipers, in most situations make the most sense to use, because in a hilly, open area, not in a suburban landscape CQB is uncommon. This is a realistic zombie survival, there are indeed snipers in real life.