XentriX

My big, fat wishlist

So, I realise that a lot, if not all of these ideas have been posted all over the forums already, but here is my list of some of the things things that would make the game more enjoyable for me to play. Not everyone will like the suggestions and I fully accept that people have their own opinions.

The suggestions listed here try to take into consideration realism, at least what is considered realism for DAYZ.

Character controls/animations

Scrambling to your feet – While pressing forward and stand at the same time, your character scrambles to his feet from prone for a quicker start to running.

(I’m pretty sure most folks wouldn’t casually stand before trying to run if a zombie was running at you)

Running vault – While running the vault key would make you character either hurdle low fences or vault over them at speed (maybe with a chance of stumbling/falling on the other side).

Shove/barge – For tackling 1-2 zeds while unarmed or trying to maintain stealth (using these methods has a high chance of taking a hit from your target due to the proximity to them).

(Run + ‘key’) Performs a shove or a kick which pushes targets just out of arms reach to allow for a chance at a quick shot to the dome or maybe to create just that extra bit of room to squeeze out of that blocked doorway.

(Full speed run + ‘key’) Initiates a shoulder barge which will shove targets back a good distance and stagger them briefly or possibly make them fall over, allowing for escape or a swift hatchet to the cranium.

Switch weapons when running – Ability to switch weapons without coming to a full stop. Slows you down to a jogging pace.

Fire weapons while running – wildly inaccurate, but it’s better than a zombie munching on your face (chance of stumbling if you’re running backwards firing high powered weapons).

Weapons – Nothing fancy, just real-world alternatives

Hunting knife – Not as effective as a hatchet, but faster.

Kitchen knife/cleaver – Go serial killer on those zeds.

Hammer – really require a headshot or two with this one.

Club – Table leg/solid branch/anything with a bit of weight that you could hit people in the face with.

Molotov cocktail (requires an empty bottle, gasoline, rag and matches) burns like hell on direct contact, also a good distraction.

Broken bones/injuries – alternatives.

Leg injuries seems a bit odd from zombies hitting you in the upper body – maybe a broken arm instead, forcing you to use one-handed weapons with lower accuracy until you can splint the arm and apply strong painkillers.

Or maybe cracked ribs that shorten the length of time you can run and forces you into crouched position while moving. Strap up with a bandage and apply painkillers.

Fall three feet off of the stairs? How about a sprained ankle instead? – Apply a bandage for support, but be slowed to a hobbling run at best. Apply painkillers for temporary relief allowing full speed until they wear off.

Splints - if you have a hatchet.. Crawl to the forest and make a splint with wood and bandages. Then apply the morphine to allow running about.

Zombie awareness -

At ranges over 40m - They are unable to tell you apart from other infected unless you do something out of the ordinary, like vault a fence, fire your weapon or run around. Walking in full view would not attract undue attention.

At ranges under 40m - If they can see you they can sense something not quite right and will make their way towards you at normal speed while keeping an eye on you. (could be used as a diversionary tactic in groups)

If they get to 20m and can see you, they can tell you’re not one of them and will attack as normal.

Ranges would probably need tweaking though.

Response to gunshots/sounds (and muzzle flash at night) –

Upon hearing a sound Zeds should investigate the rough area from which it came, if they are unable to see what made the noise, they return to wandering about instead of magically knowing where you are. (Had to put this one in… got chased around in the pitch black by a zed that came from 100m+ away when I fired my gun. I had moved a good 30m from the spot where I fired and was prone at the time).

Wilderness travel, survival and dangers

Random roaming zombie packs in the forests.

Wild dogs – nobody has been feeding Fido.. Maybe you’re his dinner (they should attack infected too, perhaps use this to your advantage).

Ability to add personal notes on maps (notes carry over to other servers, but are lost when you die. Maybe anyone who picks up your map can see them).

Ability to make markers you can leave on the ground or carve into trees.

Ability to make buried caches to store items (Makes a different sound when you stand on them so they’re not 100% safe).

Game Mechanics

Blood regeneration –

The human body naturally replaces blood that is lost, though it is a slow process.

I’d like to see, say, the first 8000 blood replenish at the same rate that the thirst metre drops, then the last 4000 blood replenishes at the rate of the hunger metre.

This is to simulate the faster plasma replacement, then the production of red blood cells at a slower rate.

However, the rates of replacement slows when you’re hungry and/or thirsty, thus making the collection of food and water essential (eating red meat could accelerate the generation of blood for a short period, though eating lots in one go would have no extra benefit).

Food would no longer give you instant blood.

Big-ass backpack full of goodies? Surely it should provide some protection from being shot in the back from low calibre weapons? Though there would be a chance that items in your pack would be damaged and lost (food, drinks or medical supplies).

More intelligent zed spawning – Zombies killed in the area shouldn’t magically respawn, while a player is nearby (40-50m radius maybe), and then they should spawn out of the line of sight.

Ability to combine half spent magazines, it’s fiddly and takes a little while though. Chance to drop ammo if you get hit while doing it.

I'll leave it there for now... as it's a long-ass post already.

• Like 14

Totally support changing weapons while running and the running vault. Pretty sure these are engine issues and will have to wait however.

I'm also a fan of the zombie awareness section. Zombies are glitchy as all hell right now, but it is my understanding that we are simply going to have to wait for this to improve. Possibly in the Arma 3 port?

Wilderness section was solid. I support all of those especially the roaming zombies and the wild dogs. I'm a huge supporter of making the wilderness more dangerous/entertaining by adding roamers and additional wildlife.

Blood regeneration I actually made a thread on (sig) so I support that obviously. I don't know about the damaging items in the backpack thing. It seems like it would be difficult to implement and not all that interesting. Good post otherwise.

Great list, I personally think its totally reasonable. Of course I'm brand spanking new so many my opinion doesn't count as much :s

Well, I've only been in a week. But I always say that a fresh pair of eyes can sometimes see things others can't.

And what about unlimited stamina? Did you ever run hundreds of kilometres without having a break? ;)

Edited by Ben-X
  • Like 1

Well... this list isn't a complete post of everything I've though about. Maybe there'll be a 'part 2' coming ;)

I think they'd need to look at the zed speed and movement before they limit run distance in any way really. It's often your only hope of getting away as it stands.

If they were to introduce a stamina mechanic, it would also need to be applied to zeds as well. They're only human after all, just the infected variety...

Well I don't know if I am last or something, but vault while running is already on some servers (mostly rMod ones), its pretty cool as you can jump over buildings if zombies line up right :D, but its useful to prevent broken legs while outrunning zed and then having to stop to vault while they break your leg during vaults.

I totaly agree with you on types of weapons, they should cut the fire weapons spawns to 1/3 of what it is now (finding 5 lee enfields in 1 barn and 3 double barrels in second that's 15m away is just too much),

Make it more difficult to avoid zombies, make it difficult dependent Recruit=zombie stupidity 100%(only bumping into them makes em aggro, PvP oriented servers)....Veteran or hardest make zombie senses 3x stronger and aggroing 1 makes entire town go against you,(possibly take away ladder climbing and door opening ability's on lower difficulty).

I'm getting off the subject, but awesome thing would be ability to barricade doors, to prevent entrance of both player and zombies.

The blood regeneration should be implemented but let food still have part of its instant heal, lets say 5 or 10%...

i don't know, I'm just throwing ideas up, but remove zombie climbing ladders ability lol :D.

I have tried playing as zombie in singleplayer mod, they run 30 KM/h in a strait line so.....(20 if sprinting)

Edited by Majo

Totally support changing weapons while running and the running vault. Pretty sure these are engine issues and will have to wait however.

I'm also a fan of the zombie awareness section. Zombies are glitchy as all hell right now, but it is my understanding that we are simply going to have to wait for this to improve. Possibly in the Arma 3 port?

Wilderness section was solid. I support all of those especially the roaming zombies and the wild dogs. I'm a huge supporter of making the wilderness more dangerous/entertaining by adding roamers and additional wildlife.

Blood regeneration I actually made a thread on (sig) so I support that obviously. I don't know about the damaging items in the backpack thing. It seems like it would be difficult to implement and not all that interesting. Good post otherwise.

chance to fumble weapon while on the run?

Like Mick Vick every tiem he ran with the ball this season...

(sorry I'm an angry Eagles fan.... still)

You can run vault its buggy so at full speed vault you will do like a vault jump but than after running a bit you stop and do a normal vault I would uploaded a vid but my internet is shit

Inb4 someone says "Look at the dates of these topics" when they enforce people to use the search function ;)

• Like 1

Please top posting lists everyone. Make a topic. TITLE IT CORRECTLY. And be conclusive, direct and full pf information. Thy way people can discuss specicific points an it seems like you actually thought theought the ideas before spluging them out into one dribbling list. But I like your ideas.