lugaru

What area would you secure and make a base out of?

So assuming base building was introduced, and you had a nice clan or group looking after it or maybe even some bot guards.

What area would you fence off and turn into a base?

I know this is stupid but I LOVE the string of apartments on the edge of Cherno, right in front of the hospital. You could lock down some resources, the apartments offer a lot of protection and loot on re spawns and each one has roof access to place law keeping snipers. That also means you would lock down one hospital, and need people to declare friendly and trade for transfusions and help from your on staff doctor.

Downside? OH MAN OH MAN would that location attract attention, raids and probably eventually a full scale clan/forum/goon invasion.

But just like a character can die, I can picture settlements springing up and dying too.

You consider the apartments a good spot? It's completely vulnerable to people shooting from the hills and from the rooftops of some of the factories.

I first made at Altar northeast of stary sobor. It was a large hill, PERFECT for defense. But then i got bored because nobody came.

I don't think it's a bad idea using the military tent in Balota.

I'ts already well built for you guys to use.

It even have loot spawns with 4 outposts with three doors and even a helipad!

How awesome is that? :)

Edited by Bahhh

we already have a sort-of base at the NWAF :P

and you will never know unless you try

Edited by Azrail

The firehouses might not be bad, though vulnerable to snipers due to many windows.

Plenty of loot and possibly guns, too.

Plus there are only a few entrances, which makes it easier to control.

The firehouses might not be bad, though vulnerable to snipers due to many windows.

Plenty of loot and possibly guns, too.

Plus there are only a few entrances, which makes it easier to control.

Was in a fire fight yesterday while in the firehouse it can easily become a death trap one smoke in through the window will allow zeds to flood in while another grenade following will kill someone plus those red doors do not provide alot of cover. I say this becaus thats what these guy did to me and some of my mates yesterday.

Yeah, I think part of the idea of a "base" is that in DayZ nothing is sacred and somebody would eventually attack it.

how do u secure a house in a popular town? im surprised at ur suggestion

I dont think you would want a base in / near zed spawns - would just be a pain the @$$ all the time - unless there are some rules about "purging" an area tha you control. Which means setting the base up out in the wilderness somewhere - using existing PPO (player placed objects) for protection and / or canalizing.

A water source would be a plus. Cover and or concealment would be a plus. But too much cover would make it easy to try and infiltrate and or approach the base. Too bad we cant use our axes to clear a firezone around the base - while leaving the trees right at the location.

Road access would be a plus - to drive vehicles into the base. - although no necessary

You wouldnt want their to be too much in the way of overwatch potential - so one would have to pick a hilltop or un-exposed hillside.

One might assume that going all the way North or off to the Western side would be good to limit the amount of player traffic but i would contend that it would be better to be in the middle - thereby allowing players to move from the location to nearby loot spawn areas and to not make the trip, for new toons, too long.

Did answer where exactly ? nope. but as its a hypothetical anyways .. meh...

And island would be rad.

Well this would be a future thing, that might not happen until stand alone, arma 3 or maybe never...

but my own thoughts on securing an area? Make posts that can be placed with a light emmitting lamp on top... and zombies cannot spawn within 10 meters of one. Slap down 10 to 20 of them and you have a base where zombies dont spawn... and that can practically be seen from space attracting all sorts of trouble.

But yeah, not even walls stop zombies now... cant wait for that to be fixed, lol.

The small castle of Zub, just south of Vyshnoye, has a closeby water supply, and a town to raid for food & a fuel tank. There is a steep hillside in the west that could be covered quite easily, and the rest is more or less open ground. Easy to set defences and see groups approaching, and quite easy to reach by vehicle. This one is head on my list.

Stalisty Island (South east) could be interesting, but it's too far from ressources like water and food to keep a population. There would be a need for a smaller outpost in Kamyshovo for fuel for the boats, but it's too easy to shoot from the hills down on the town.

The small castle of Rog (Just above Kamyshovo) could offer good enough protection, with a lake a klick down the hill. The mountain is steep enough for people to have trouble reaching it when not using the "Road", and there are a few observation posts, but it's surrounded by a forest so hard to see people approaching (though easy to get out of it, and unsnipable). It's possible to reach it with vehicles, so just a few tank traps should be enough to prevent too daring raids.

Pusta has a water pump and no way to sneak on it with ease, and a counter sniper would be needed to cover the hill above. It's quite close from Cherno and Elektro hotsports though, meaing many people would probably be willing to take the risk of an assault. But then, they'd have to regroup, and that's cool.

The castle in Black mountain is probably the best "Big" castle, quite close to a town with a market and the airstrip, but the closest reliable water supply is the dangerously empty area of Gvozdno with it's lake and realy open spaces. The view from the top tower is magnificent though.

Edited by Deuzerre

Would love to work together with an entire server/forum/clan to keep Cherno safe. Secure all entrances, loot squad with hatchets running around slaying all Z's inside, men and women on the walls defending from any attacks.

Hey, a guy can dream, alright?

Vysoky Kamen.

Dominates the terrain around it, has 5-6 water sources close by that can be accessed without leaving the cover of the woods and has access to basic weapon and food spawns in Mogilevka, Pusta and Prigorrodky.

A ring of barbed wire, a couple of sangars overlooking the obvious approach paths with over-lapping fields of fire and you could hold off anything/anyone you might face on a vanilla server.

Setting up a settlement near Blunt Rocks would prolly work out pretty well, lots of lakes up there, plenty of forest cover, and its near Berez which has a supermarket and a hospital plus a few military spawns last I checked.