Sign in to follow this  
Sonstar

Please help this Mac user...

I am really keen on playing ARMA II, specially the Day-Z mod. I've heard about using Bootcamp in order to run Day-Z successfully. Nevertheless, I have something to ask you before I buy the game in order to avoid wasting my money:

1) Would Bootcamp run Day-Z "perfectly" (by perfectly I mean as good as a Windows would, with its usual glitches)

2) What specs would I need to run Day-Z properly? It's a Mid-2010, 15-inch MacBook Pro.

I am really afraid of the prospect of downloading ARMA II and being unable to play it. Thanks in advance!

You need Arma II & Operation Arrowhead to play, BUT I hear you can install it with a demo of Arma II (you'd still have to buy OA) - graphics wont be as good but it'll cost you less to test!..

Unfortunately I can't advise with the mac problem, my answer to any mac gaming problems is "just get a PC" ;)

Graphics would be your only "problem area"

What is your card?

-edit-

and I mean "problem area" as it won't even run....it still might look like shit. I gotta a buddy that plays on a newer Macbook, and it looks just as nice as my rig.

Edited by +Ch!cago+

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 17" with a 6770 ATI card. I deleted the Bootcamp graphic drivers and put an updated ATI version in there (so it would run Battlefield 3 actually), there's quite a few websites which will run you through how to do that (with nVidia cards or ATI). I get moderate framerates - not amazing but moderate. It depends on your graphics card really. But I can say that, yes it works just fine - just don't unplug and plug back headphones during the game, you'll lose your sound :-p

Hi,

1. i found this thread on another forum, where the users said that it works on bootcamp ... but try to search on your own to get the guarantee! arma 2 must run on your system not dayz, if arma2 runns dayz will alsow! http://forums.sarcasticgamer.com/showthread.php?t=22166
  2. Yes your should be able tu run arma 2 with your system specs: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_2:_System_Requirements

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 17" with a 6770 ATI card. I deleted the Bootcamp graphic drivers and put an updated ATI version in there (so it would run Battlefield 3 actually), there's quite a few websites which will run you through how to do that (with nVidia cards or ATI). I get moderate framerates - not amazing but moderate. It depends on your graphics card really. But I can say that, yes it works just fine - just don't unplug and plug back headphones during the game, you'll lose your sound :-p

Graphics would be your only "problem area"

What is your card?

-edit-

and I mean "problem area" as it won't even run....it still might look like shit. I gotta a buddy that plays on a newer Macbook, and it looks just as nice as my rig.

Sorry if I copied the wrong thing, I am pretty noob. Here's my Mac's NVIDIA device:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

I have done this myself.

Bootcamp windows. (Windows 8 CP is free, but be warned, there is no sound.)

And install.

Done.

ehh..

I'd say that's cutting it pretty close to be honest. Even if it's going to run it, it might be unplayable based on FPS lag....someone mentioned trying the OA demo...I think that would be a good judge on obviously if it will run, and how well.

I have done this myself.

Bootcamp windows. (Windows 8 CP is free, but be warned, there is no sound.)

And install.

Done.

FUCK WIN 8 DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY....WHY YOU THINK YOU HAVE NO SOUND!?!

Edited by +Ch!cago+

I play DayZ on an early 2008 MBP with a crappy Nvidia 8600 gtm. It runs fine on low settings. I don't even experience the new artifact bug that my friends on higher end rigs do near the dead military zombies. Bootcamp runs windows as well as any PC does. Make sure you partition out enough hard drive space for it if you're gonna want to play more games because you have to remake the whole thing if you want more space.

Hi Sonstar,

I have a mid 2010 iMac myself.

I play a few hours a week, and never had any problems with Bootcamp or Windows. Just the known problems everyone experiences in Game.

So the bottleneck would be graphic card and/or memory.

Like JamesButlin said,the Demo or maybe the free-version would give you an overview whether your MacBook can handle it or not...and if it could stand more.

...and don't worry about the drivers...there is an Apple Website on which your mac downloads and installs all needed drivers itself. A google search should do it.

Edited by Lou-Natic

I thank you all for the replies. I'll try the demo version, but I suppose that Day-Z needs better specs than just the original game. I hope I'll end up meeting you in Chernarus!

You will be able to run the game in normal settings without ANY lag.

And you don't "have" to run Win 8 CP, I was just stated it's free, but there will be no sound on it as Apple hasn't made drivers to support Win.8 yet.

Without a doubt your IMAC will run fine with DayZ

FUCK WIN 8 DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY....WHY YOU THINK YOU HAVE NO SOUND!?!

You are wrong.

From first hand experience Arma II will run fine

Edited by TiredEthan

The bootcamp will run as good as windows; yes.

Your MacBook pro 2010 15" should run fine with normal graphics settings and medium visibility .