CptDreadnaught

I Met a Friend in Elektro

His name was Husk. He was a great fellow.

(Warning, potential bad language, but overall hilarity)

Has anyone else made many friends? Or has it always just been "shoot on sight" sort of gameplay? That's what I always usually see.

I pride myself on sticking to the woods with my hunting rifle. I swore to myself I would be friendly, but now 3 times I have come across (albeit well geared) players.

Each time I had them in my crosshair my heart stopped for a second. I could feel it. But click. I take the shot every time! I am evil! I am a bandit! I have 3 murders and 50 zombie kills (and on day 10).

WHAT HAVE I DONE?

I feel like Chernarus is judging me; hunting me, so I feel I have to kill on sight now! I can not trust anybody!

(I however only kill players with military gear.) I have 2 DMR's and an M4A1 CCO from my 3 murders. I would have had FAL NV but the 4th potential murder ALT F4'ed after I shot him.

CZ550 FTW: Mine is called Click.

I'm sad, I know. What were we talking about again?

Edited by Apelo

In the beginning I found it easier to meet up and trust other players, now there is no side chat the teaming up is a trickier issue

Shame its not easier to meet and team up with people and not get shot before you can do the friendship wiggle ( or an axe to the back... ) rip Husk... rip

Edited by hunterkilla

I have no idea what you said but I like your style.

But in all fairness, unless it's someone I know irl (we use skype a lot, my friends and I) I end up lighting them up. Mostly from the woods or the rooftops. I've learned the Enfield can shoot almost all the way across Elektro though, good to know just in case.

Most of the time when I give people a chance I'm scooping up my own brains 5 minutes later.

First time I opened the game, I spawned in elektro. I ran straight for the church, finding a guy with a M24 aiming at me. I told him that I would keep my revolver down, and that I was just looking for drinks and ammo. When he lowered his sniper I filled his body with bullets, and he was dead.

Man... I felt so horrible after that. I gave the sniper rifle to my rl friend and I actually aggro'ed zombies to get me killed. I couldn't stand the same. I felt dirty. Ashamed. ...damn.

What I'm trying to say with my little anecdote is that I never trust another player, because there's people like "my old me" out there. I've stopped shooting at people if they don't threaten me.

Edited by Sewly

Last time I teamed up with someone he was unarmed.. I helped him, gave him my 1911, we looked for more loot. We played the game for like an hour and were becoming a team. Then he shot me. You can't trust anyone in this game that isn't in your clan / that you know from somewhere outside of the game itself. Even if some people are friendly, if every third person is a bandit your choice of being friendly will kill you. Maybe not in your first encounter but after a day of playing friendly you will be dead sooner or later. Its like rolling the dice and if 1-3 comes up you're dead, may work several times but ultimately you can't beat the odds. If you want to survive longer then a day ignore other people and shoot on sight if they get too close.

Edited by DieBrotmafia

And after watching your video. I no longer feel guilty.

I met three friendlies in todays session, one ran around Cherno with me trying to gear up in horrible glitchy graphics..we both died lost in the streets of grey artifacts after about five minutes of trying to find the hospital amidst zed madness. Another spawned behind me at Kamenka and i fought of a heap of zeds with an enfield i found in a lootpile, she/he escaped into the woods while i bandaged.

One i met near Zeleno and we did the Q E dance then went our seperate ways. The fourth guy i saw at castle Rog, he opened up immediately with a submachine gun, winged me while i was trying to direct comm with him, i threw a flare at his face and bolted, doubled back still trying to comm him, he shot again in the general direction where i was which showed me exactly where he was, so shot him point blank three times with my winnie..thanks for the M16 and Alice pack Luke ..you really should move after opening fire :)

Wasnt a bad sesh considering.

if you kill someone with at least 1 murder, does that mean you get a bandit kill? or in other words, if you have 1 murder are you a bandit?

because i was in the elektro office last night, with a chemlight, and i turned into a room to see a guy with an AK looking the other way... so i panicked and fired my m1911 into the back of his head. now i have a murder, does that make me a bandit... or do you need like multiple murders to be a bandit?

I don't trust any players I don't know IRL. It always ends badly. Just recently, I ran into the fire station in Cherno and found myself face to face with someone else. I had him dead to rights in my sights with my AKM. But, he goes, "Friendly! Friendly!" And, like a complete moron, I didn't shoot. I just kind started looking around real quick, thinking I should get out of there. Turns out his buddy was sneaking around back. When they both realized I saw his buddy, they opened fire. They hit me, but lucky for me, it wasn't bad. I escaped to a place with a good view of the doors and waited for them to come out. They never did. I'm pretty sure the chicken-shits disconnected when they lost sight of me. Though - I didn't go back in looking for them, being wounded already.

It just served to reinforce my belief that unless the player is unarmed, or engaging them would compromise your own position in someway, shoot other players on sight. End of story. Sorry, but that's how it is in Chernarus right now. The only exception being, if you know the player IRL.

Edited by VaderZ

Then he shot me. You can't trust anyone in this game

The life story of DayZ right there...

if you kill someone with at least 1 murder, does that mean you get a bandit kill? or in other words, if you have 1 murder are you a bandit?

because i was in the elektro office last night, with a chemlight, and i turned into a room to see a guy with an AK looking the other way... so i panicked and fired my m1911 into the back of his head. now i have a murder, does that make me a bandit... or do you need like multiple murders to be a bandit?

You panicked and.. BLEW HIS HEAD OFF !!?? I would say the judge isn't going to take your case very well..your going to need a better defense than that ;)

Edited by Hetstaine
  • Like 3

First time I opened the game, I spawned in elektro. I ran straight for the church, finding a guy with a M24 aiming at me. I told him that I would keep my revolver down, and that I was just looking for drinks and ammo. When he lowered his sniper I filled his body with bullets, and he was dead.

Man... I felt so horrible after that. I gave the sniper rifle to my rl friend and I actually aggro'ed zombies to get me killed. I couldn't stand the same. I felt dirty. Ashamed. ...damn.

What I'm trying to say with my little anecdote is that I never trust another player, because there's people like "my old me" out there. I've stopped shooting at people if they don't threaten me.

people like you is why i tell people to leave, if i see them. i tell them if they turn around at all then ill shoot them, but if they walk away i wont.

I have made a few friends when I first started but now everytime I have tried I get shot. Its so much better to meet with people on unofficial DayZ teamspeak.

You probably did the right thing, if you look at it from the persective of your own survival. If the guy had turned around and seen you, 9 chances in 10 he would have shot you.

Edited by VaderZ

bs you panicked. you felt greedy.

you couldve just walked in his opposite direction.

You set of murdering twats.

In all seriousness I can understand the reason to kill, Fear, Cowardice, Boredom. It takes gut's stupidity to stand and try to be a friend.

• Like 1

I remember once I was running to Elektro from Cherno and I met a guy running around from zombies with an Enfield. We had a friendly chat as we ran across the country side. Eventually I aggroed all the zombies and took off in the other direction. I'm sure I made him happy.

The first time I ran into someone though was on the outskirts of Elektro on the tracks. My roommate said to kill anyone that wasn't him or other friends, so as he was proclaiming his allegiance to the queen or something, I gave him lead acne. I don't think he was too pleased, but I mean, it was my first day of playing, I didn't know the community functioned as well as it does.

You set of murdering twats.

In all seriousness I can understand the reason to kill, Fear, Cowardice, Boredom. It takes gut's stupidity to stand and try to be a friend.

Yeah, but you get murdered trying to be friends, or even just go about your own business in the presence of other players one too many times and you get to a point where enough is enough. As I mentioned in a post above, occasionally, I do something stupid and let my guard down around another armed player or players. Those players have either killed me or at least opened fire on me at some point almost every single time. I've been playing DayZ almost from the beginning and can still count the number of enounters on one hand I've had with other players I didn't know IRL where that player did not shoot at me unprovoked eventually. The better my gear and the more quickly those players realize I have good shit, the quicker the attacks come.

I'm not looking to be a bandit or murderer (eh, most of the time anyway). But, if you want to survive for any length of time, trusting players you don't know is FAR riskier than dealing with any zombie horde.

Edited by VaderZ

In the beginning I found alot more people open to not shoot on sight or stab you in the back, I think it was down to the side channel and bandit skin.... allowed people to arrange to meet without being 30m away. I did meet up with alot of strangers and 80-90% of the time we parted company without lead being shot.... Now everyone just assumes the worst and will kill you before you can say friendly or they will stab you in the back the first chance they get.

Its a shame as it can be a good laugh to meet a total stranger and run with them for sometime and loot up... then both part company as friends... Nowadays I expect the worst of strangers so dont poke my head out going "Hello would you like a cup of tea"......

bs you panicked. you felt greedy.

you couldve just walked in his opposite direction.

i wasnt being greedy, i was desperate.

the whole story is that i got killed by a bugged out zombie attack (put me in a coma for about 10 minutes and then i couldnt move to escape once i woke up) and dropped epix lewt in the north, i had to get back there fast and elektro was my closest spawn (got killed like 4-5 times but kept getting karmenka/airfield). anyway, it was night time and i needed a FAST compass and food/drink to get my stuff back. it had already been about an hour since i'd died, so i didn't know how long my body would last.

anyway, i found my body. if the guy didn't have an AKM then i wouldn't have shot him - but AKM in the middle of elektro when the firestation was blocked with wire? to me that says he's a pker (or an unlucky guy who looted a pker)... i couldn't take the risk.

Edited by tarquinbb

I had about 8 people kind of grouped up and spread out in the woods. Of course the noobiest of the group got shot right outside the airfield, but he would have been able to see about 4 people from his position. I flanked him and killed him easily, but I mean, common sense people.

Some folks just kill for the sake of killing, and that makes me sad. Good way to get better at aiming I suppose.

I suppose I've become jaded though, anyone with a weapon I see as a threat and kill on sight. This one guy had no weapons, but I didn't know that until I winged him. What he tried to do is distract me while his buddy got into position to take me out. I spotted him in the grass, broke the guy's leg that had no weapon, shot his buddy in the head, took his Enfield (I had an MP5 with about 12 shots left :/) and killed his friend. I felt kind of like Jason Statham, but I also felt bad that I ruined two friend's fun.

The more I play, the more the game feels like an actual way of life since dying is so... Emotionally draining I suppose. I fell off a roof once because sometimes going prone makes you run and dolphin dive, and I just sat there looking at the red words claiming "You are Dead" in utter awe and silence. I didn't play the rest of the day.