156 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want side chat to be re-added to Day-Z?

• Yes
    • No

We need side chat back in our game.

Pros:

Being able to talk to players in the server eases the tension, and stunts the amount of PVP and killing on sight.

When enabled side chat allows players to meet up, and share supplies in times of need.

More cooperation between survivors.

Players can warn others of bandit locations in cities, or to stay away from certain towns that groups of bandits are located.

New players can ask questions directly in server chat, and not clog up the forums with constant posts of the same questions.

Cons:

Advertisement spam in populated servers.

Retarded users spamming mic and chat with useless things.

Breaks some game immersion.

Gray Section:

If survivors are openly attempting to meet up in certain locations (like Cherno or Electro) then bandits are able to pick up on that, and take out idiots openly blasting out their location. (This is good for bandits and makes it more challenging to meet up at a location. It's only bad if you're the retard blurting out your location.)

Disclaimer:

I know there is a search bar, and I know this suggestion has been posted many times.

I know there could possibly be a radio coded into the game to allow side chat, but for this would be the quickest remedy until that happens. If Rocket took out side chat then he can quickly bring it back.

Edited by Partywaffle
  • Like 11

I'd like side chat enabled. Once they implement radios or other devices for global chat then I'm fine with them removing it again, but it would help new players get basic questions answered without clogging the forums. Also, people wouldn't have to post on the forums just to find someone to play with or trade with.

EDIT: I wouldn't want voice side chat. Just text side chat.

Edited by Obsolescence
  • Like 1

I'd like side chat enabled. Once they implement radios or other devices for global chat then I'm fine with them removing it again, but it would help new players get basic questions answered without clogging the forums. Also, people wouldn't have to post on the forums just to find someone to play with or trade with.

I'm in the same boat except I don't want the side chat in the game while we wait for radios.

I'm a supporter of the radios opening up an alternate chat/voice channel for the player that broadcasts to other radios on the same frequency. I love the lack of security that creates.

• Like 1

EDIT: I wouldn't want voice side chat. Just text side chat.

I agree on the voice side chat. It can get fairly annoying. I also like your point on the new players questions. Our forums are being constantly barraged with the same questions constantly.

I'm in the same boat except I don't want the side chat in the game while we wait for radios.

As I said radios are a cool idea, but this topic is just about bringing side chat back. Why do you not support bringing side chat back then?

Edit: Also is your picture related to Dwarf Fortress? I love that game!

Edited by Partywaffle

I agree on the voice side chat. It can get fairly annoying. I also like your point on the new players questions. Our forums are being constantly barraged with the same questions constantly.

As I said radios are a cool idea, but this topic is just about bringing side chat back. Why do you not support bringing side chat back then?

Edit: Also is your picture related to Dwarf Fortress? I love that game!

Haha yes it is. I played religiously for a while but haven't played it recently. I should get back into it.

Anyway on topic:

I guess i'm somewhat of a purist in that sense? I want to remove the killfeed totally. I want only the necessary indicators on the HUD (health, food, water, ammo). I like to get into my games in the sense that for a brief period of time hopefully I get totally immersed in a new world. Same with movies and books. Maybe it's weird but with a good book/game/movie I can almost forget that i'm reading/playing/watching something. Just for reference the way I have been playing Day Z has been this:

I come home from that RL people talk about

boot up the computer

headphones on

lights off,

door closed

get in the ****ing zone

and I start playing.

When I see that little text message from "TurboK1ng1337" asking if anybody wants to go farm the airfields it just kills the immersion for me. If I can tell myself that I heard that over the radio, then it works.

When I see that little text message from "TurboK1ng1337" asking if anybody wants to go farm the airfields it just kills the immersion for me. If I can tell myself that I heard that over the radio, then it works.

True. I was thinking about that, and was also thinking of there being a way to turn off side chat. I am guessing when radios come in that you'll be able to switch them off, or to a frequency that no one is using. Thanks for your response.

True. I was thinking about that, and was also thinking of there being a way to turn off side chat. I am guessing when radios come in that you'll be able to switch them off, or to a frequency that no one is using. Thanks for your response.

Yeah if it was a player specific option then I would totally support that. Then I can have it off and whoever wants it on can have it. That would be ideal.

im in if it works with a radio that can be turned on/off. and like somone said, if you could change frequency so you can chat with only your friends.

Edited by jordinus

i don't see why u need to talk 225km away with someone? 40m is more then enough and mostly when u typ u get shot anyway in the back.

i don't see why u need to talk 225km away with someone? 40m is more then enough and mostly when u typ u get shot anyway in the back.

225km is an extreme. Zombies spawn up to 300m away from your location. You can see even further with a lot of weapons. If you're limited to 40m chatting distance then you're on edge and have your finger on the trigger when you're aware of another players presence. 40m is not enough personal space to feel safe and/or comfortable in.

I honestly don't care whether there is side chat or not. There are a couple of servers that have it enabled. I think it should be up to the server admins and listed in the server description so people can choose to either play there or not.

I haven't played on a side chat server in a long, long time, but I have to say the entertainment value is high. I once hid my character and remained logged in to watch an ongoing argument while I ate dinner. It was hilarious :lol:!

When I want to play in super-serious, immersion mode I'd prefer a no side chat server.

This mod has a very diverse player base. The elitists would rather die than accept this, but it's a good thing. There should be choices, to an extent, that allow for player diversity. Allowing side chat to be enabled as a server admin's option isn't really that big of a concession as compared to stuff like PVP punishment mechanics in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 2

I honestly don't care whether there is side chat or not. There are a couple of servers that have it enabled. I think it should be up to the server admins and listed in the server description so people can choose to either play there or not.

I haven't played on a side chat server in a long, long time, but I have to say the entertainment value is high. I once hid my character and remained logged in to watch an ongoing argument while I ate dinner. It was hilarious :lol:!

When I want to play in super-serious, immersion mode I'd prefer a no side chat server.

This mod has a very diverse player base. The elitists would rather die than accept this, but it's a good thing. There should be choices, to an extent, that allow for player diversity. Allowing side chat to be enabled as a server admin's option isn't really that big of a concession as compared to stuff like PVP punishment mechanics in the grand scheme of things.

The servers that have side chat to be enabled force you to recreate a character, and then it does not save your character if you go to a different server. I am not sure why, but the servers I have been to with it on do this.

You make a very good point about it being a server admin option. It makes me want to wait for radios to come out before having a new side chat. However there would need to be a lot of coding done, and as a direct result I have to say re-enabling side chat would be the quickest way to get it back for now. I will of course take your argument into thought.

Thanks for your reply.

I know since its still in Alpha, Rocket doesn't want to mix and match with other modes, but personally ACRE, would be great. Perhaps that would be Broadcast towers, Where If Players are in a certain Vercinty, and with a Radio you could Interact with those players. Such places like Major Cities (Cherno, Elektro) and maybe Around Green mountain as well. Just an Idea. Though, But on Topic, Side-chat would nice, Maybe even allows a better chance to Fight against Hackers, EX. Indestructible Chopper Above Cherno.

My two :beans: :beans: .

-Joe

But on Topic, Side-chat would nice, Maybe even allows a better chance to Fight against Hackers, EX. Indestructible Chopper Above Cherno.

I agree. Thanks for the response!

This will not fight the hackers. This will actually encourage hacking since they will get more reactions from their victims. I dislike the idea of the side-chat because of less immersion. Radios or something like that would be nice though.

Being able to talk to players in the server eases the tension

Thats a con. Tension is what makes the game fun.

enabled side chat allows players to meet up, and share supplies

Takes away the sense of adventure. Also could easily be used as trap and troll people.

More cooperation between survivors.

There is an ingame voice chat what else do you need? Being able to write globally on a chat like this completly removes the immersion

can warn others of bandit locations

Also a con completly ruins the immersion and spying on cities before moving into them.

New players can ask questions directly

Bullshit excuse use the forum or watch one of 1000 tutorial videos online.

Also major CON is that hackers will finally get the enjoyment they need = QQ in the chat

• Like 1

Daily bump. Digging all the votes this topic is getting. Thanks to everyone who voted.

Since a few days i only play on servers now with sidechat enabled.

Its a much better experience. Hunting and killing people is much more interesting

when you can read the chat of your victim :D

It also really makes the long ways one sometimes has to run much more

enjoyable. Just put someting on "W" and entertain yourself with the chat ;)

Also the KoS Issue is less of a problem as it gives you a better way to approach other players...

Sidechat is really really nice, especially if you play more often on the same server and you know the people

and their playstyle

• Like 1

Since a few days i only play on servers now with sidechat enabled.

Its a much better experience. Hunting and killing people is much more interesting

when you can read the chat of your victim :D

It also really makes the long ways one sometimes has to run much more

enjoyable. Just put someting on "W" and entertain yourself with the chat ;)

Also the KoS Issue is less of a problem as it gives you a better way to approach other players...

Sidechat is really really nice, especially if you play more often on the same server and you know the people

and their playstyle

I agree entirely. I can't find a server though that has side chat enabled which doesn't make me restart a character, or doesn't save progress.

Please stop bumping every few hours, or risk your thread being deleted due to selfishness.

Consider a bump per every few days if no replies are given.