Anton17

'Realism' arguments need to be left out

I've seen a lot of good and experienced discussions lately that are mulling over suggestions or current features only to be spannered by a couple of crackpots preaching 'realism'. Yes, Arma was a simulation game but DayZ is not - its whatever you want it to be. Feel free to roleplay but don't let your ill-advised judgments influence a community discussion.

We're still playing a game here, folks. Realism is no excuse over poor game design, mechanics and/or features.

Revised addition:

I guess what I was trying to say that being a sandbox and open-world type of game there's a lot for users to fill with their own playstyle or mythology or whatever. Kind of like, you know, how we have friendly people that want to be play this game as if it actually happened and not shoot every single survivor they see? Realism is down to your own interpretation.

I'll try to give an example in context. I was trying to discuss the regularity of zombies knocking you out or breaking your legs and had a couple of people come along and talk about how you could trip over while running from zombies. I mean, come on. I see the logic but I wasn't trying to advocate any fantasy based situations. When trying to talk about statistics or a game mechanic, like with this example, the regularity of an incapacitating hit percentage when based on blood levels, its quite frustrating to have to put up with "BUT THEY COULD BITE YOU IN THE LEG!".

I don't mean to troll at all. There's just some cases (that are crucial in alpha stages) that need to be looked at with a step back with consideration to game design and not putting yourself into a character's shoes in the real world.

Edited by Anton17
  • Like 6

Rocket has said before that he wants people to use the term authentic. He wants people to have an authentic experience. The only reason we even have to use the word is because the only counter-argument some pricks have is "zombies aren't real". The game is meant to be an authentic apocalypse. If you don't like it, you don't have to play.

• Like 3

don't let your ill-advised judgments influence a community discussion.

Flawed logic.

Maybe some people like realism in their games. You just finished saying this is a game supposed to be whatever people want it to be. What if the majority of people want realism?

DayZ was meant as a more realistic approach to a zombie apocalypse. It can still be whatever you want within certain boundaries (example: we are all invincible and can never lose our gear and weapons should spawn instantly within 5 feet of player spawn locations).

I've seen a lot of good and experienced discussions lately that are mulling over suggestions or current features only to be spannered by a couple of crackpots preaching 'realism'. Yes, Arma was a simulation game but DayZ is not - its whatever you want it to be. Feel free to roleplay but don't let your ill-advised judgments influence a community discussion.

We're still playing a game here, folks. Realism is no excuse over poor game design, mechanics and/or features.

Its not because we only want 100% realism. Some suggestions are just absurd when talking about implementing them into the game. Most of the suggestions are either bad, or they are impossible to make happen.

I used to think Day Z was realistic.

But then i realised i can fix broken bones with a single injection, fix cars, fly a helicopter, run all day and shoot someone from 800m.

Fuck, i must be Chuck Norris.

• Like 7

But then i realised i can fix broken bones with a single injection, fix cars, fly a helicopter, run all day and shoot someone from 800m.

No.

If you could kill a player with your bare hands while there was still no melee-system, then yes.

But for now; no.

-MONSTER

• Like 1

I don't see why the parts I bolded aren't realistic... People fix cars and fly helicopters everyday, and shots have been taken from MUCH farther than 800m.

Edit: It didn't bold them... What I meant to bold was "fix cars, fly a helicopter" and "shoot someone from 800m".

Edited by Sandwichx
  • Like 1

Realism is not a manual to be followed word-for-word, but should be a set of guidelines designed to push us in the right direction.

In a real zombie apocalypse, I don't think we'd be having much fun. So let's not make the game TOO realistic and lose sight that, in the end, we are playing a game, and games are meant to be fun.

• Like 4

I don't see why the parts I bolded aren't realistic... People fix cars and fly helicopters everyday, and shots have been taken from MUCH farther than 800m.

Edit: It didn't bold them... What I meant to bold was "fix cars, fly a helicopter" and "shoot someone from 800m".

They arent realistic to me - i cant do any of them and Rocket has always said he wants the game so that if you know something in real life you should be able to do it in game.

I can scream like a girl and hide under a table though.

Edited by DemonGroover

Maybe some people like realism in their games. You just finished saying this is a game supposed to be whatever people want it to be. What if the majority of people want realism?

I guess what I was trying to say that being a sandbox and open-world type of game there's a lot for users to fill with their own playstyle or mythology or whatever. Kind of like, you know, how we have friendly people that want to be play this game as if it actually happened and not shoot every single survivor they see? Realism is down to your own interpretation.

I'll try to give an example in context. I was trying to discuss the regularity of zombies knocking you out or breaking your legs and had a couple of people come along and talk about how you could trip over while running from zombies. I mean, come on. I see the logic but I wasn't trying to advocate any fantasy based situations. When trying to talk about statistics or a game mechanic, like with this example, the regularity of an incapacitating hit percentage when based on blood levels, its quite frustrating to have to put up with "BUT THEY COULD BITE YOU IN THE LEG!".

I don't mean to troll at all. There's just some cases (that are crucial in alpha stages) that need to be looked at with a step back with consideration to game design and not putting yourself into a character's shoes in the real world.

Edited by Anton17

Realism is not a manual to be followed word-for-word, but should be a set of guidelines designed to push us in the right direction.

In a real zombie apocalypse, I don't think we'd be having much fun. So let's not make the game TOO realistic and lose sight that, in the end, we are playing a game, and games are meant to be fun.

One of Rocket's guiding lights has been realism OVER fun. Fun takes a backseat here. It's on the table, but it's a light dessert, not the main course.

One of Rocket's guiding lights has been realism OVER fun. Fun takes a backseat here. It's on the table, but it's a light dessert, not the main course.

This is the direction I want to see him go. In my opinion, it should be so frustratingly hard, you'll want to pull out your own hair after ten minutes of playing.

• Like 1

If this was realism, 90% of the avatars would be morbidly obese wheezers who couldn't run and have hit boxes the size of a URAL.

• Like 1

If this was realism, 90% of the avatars would be morbidly obese wheezers who couldn't run and have hit boxes the size of a URAL.

OR

No.

-MONSTER

Rocket doesn't think games are supposed to be "fun". He thinks they should be full of emotion. Fun has no place here.

• Like 1

Rocket doesn't think games are supposed to be "fun". He thinks they should be full of emotion. Fun has no place here.

Shut up

OR

No.

-MONSTER

- ADHARMA

HI I HAVE A USERNAME WHICH YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE, A RETARDED LITTLE SIGNATURE WITH MY NAME IN IT TWICE BUT JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT, HERES MY NAME

- T W A T

• Like 6

- ADHARMA

HI I HAVE A USERNAME WHICH YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE, A RETARDED LITTLE SIGNATURE WITH MY NAME IN IT TWICE BUT JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT, HERES MY NAME

- T W A T

All-caps rage at someone who denies your crappy comment. I see~

Nice post though, I could feel the heat of your tomato-coloured face radiating from the text. Very powerful stuff.

Let me know when you decide to try abusing me again; next time, put some thought into it and it might hurt my feelings :(

-MONSTER

• Like 3