Anton17

'Realism' arguments need to be left out

This kinda sums it up:

"Standard high post count forum doucher. Nobody cares about his gay ass anime or pretentious quotes that he thinks are deep or cool. Also,the give me attention pink is a nice touch, it's sure to hurt many an eye that would normally skip your crap post."

D'aww. Classic example of inferiority complex.

I'm psychic. I can tell from mannerisms, avatar, pink text and signing every post. I'm new to the forums and I know already this guy is a total faggot.

You seem alright, red dwarf was pretty boss.

ON TOPIC:

What if you derive your fun from challenge?

What if you derive your fun from running?

Hey now, no need for the language - I'm a nice person once you get to know me! :lol:

If you don't like my posts, avoid reading them - it's way better than showing us all your pathetic attempts at abuse here boys. I like anime, I like to colour my text and I don't much care if you guys have a problem with it. :(

Back on topic: I enjoy this game because it sets itself at a different pace to many others - welcoming patience, consideration and also introducing a certain level of ethical choice. This isn't about the graphics, AI, end-game or the gear. This is all about the experience.

And I think that experience is bloody awesome.

-MONSTER

• Like 3

look at his posts, smart-ass and pedantic.

I think your own posts qualify for this too. Just saying.

PS: I just don't like seeing people be so negative on internet forums for no apparant reason (makes me feel sad :( )

This "game" is not made to be fun

Then why play it? (emphasis on PLAY).

If this was realism, 90% of the avatars would be morbidly obese wheezers who couldn't run and have hit boxes the size of a URAL.

If the simulation detects you logged from a US ip, your weight is increased 200%, you are unable to sprint but as a bonus start with an assault rifle and camo clothing.

• Like 1

If the simulation detects you logged from a US ip, your weight is increased 200%, you are unable to sprint but as a bonus start with an assault rifle and camo clothing.

Accuracy bonus if you enter a school or movie theatre

I'm sorry to take this off-topic again, but I had to say this. I like Monster, because he/she is a very successful troll. He/she has made me chuckle on several occasions at his/her humorous comments and at the rage that ensues. Keep up the good work, my friend.

• Like 1

Sad to see how much this topic got de-railed and how alarmingly people misinterpreted my post.

I'm not trying to conform people to one belief, nor am I trying to stir up completely trivial circular arguments that make threads in this forum 10 pages long without anybody saying anything.

The beef I have with realism is not how people play or what they get from the game. I have stated that twice, but here it is a third time for you to ignore. The post I made about realism was in specific reference to the game design of game mechanics and how features are actually carried out, not the features themselves. Y'know, kind like what testing an alpha includes? When I was talking about statistics, random percentages and the game on an actual game level, not some concept or idea, people would confuse it with their own concepts ideas that were totally irrelevant to the point I was making. Hey, sort of like this thread!

You fit a helicopter rotor in your backpack because this is a game and its overlooked because of that. You need to allow a little more of that. There are good ideas in play here, if not great (they'd have to be for the current success, right?) but there is a very large refining and polishing act in process and it needs to be considered without people just wanting what they want from it. Its already a sandbox, open-world game, you can do what you want with it. Just have some reservation when it comes to bringing up unrelated arguments about the game when its being played when the discussion is how the game utilises its coding.

Edited by Anton17

Sad to see how much this topic got de-railed and how alarmingly people misinterpreted my post.

I'm not trying to conform people to one belief, nor am I trying to stir up completely trivial circular arguments that make threads in this forum 10 pages long without anybody saying anything.

The beef I have with realism is not how people play or what they get from the game. I have stated that twice, but here it is a third time for you to ignore. The post I made about realism was in specific reference to the game design of game mechanics and how features are actually carried out, not the features themselves. Y'know, kind like what testing an alpha includes? When I was talking about statistics, random percentages and the game on an actual game level, not some concept or idea, people would confuse it with their own concepts ideas that were totally irrelevant to the point I was making. Hey, sort of like this thread!

You fit a helicopter rotor in your backpack because this is a game and its overlooked because of that. You need to allow a little more of that. There are good ideas in play here, if not great (they'd have to be for the current success, right?) but there is a very large refining and polishing act in process and it needs to be considered without people just wanting what they want from it. Its already a sandbox, open-world game, you can do what you want with it. Just have some reservation when it comes to bringing up unrelated arguments about the game when its being played when the discussion is how the game utilises its coding.

IMO the problem with the reality argument is that everyone uses it to suit there own interests.

-An idea that isen't 100% realistic always get the "this is a simulator, not a game" type of responses. These responses are always met with "but x-thing isn't realistic either" type of responses.

-An idea that wants to remove something realistic, always get the "it's a game" type of responses.

The "in real life I would...." is pretty much bs in my eyes. Sitting comfortably in front of your pc playing games, gives you no idea of how you would react.

Lol @ People who think Monster is a guy.

Oh man. It's okay guys. Shhh... Its okay. Your rage... Here.

I have a cup for your tears

On Topic of Realism.

DayZ isn't realistic by far, but it has a realistic standard.The closest thing we have to realism in this game is time, food, drinks, and getting hit in the head is one of the few ways to instantly die.

DayZ isn't fun? I don't know what game you guys have been playing, but I suggest changing up your playstyle if you aren't having fun. A sandbox zombie game like this leaves it up to you to play the way you want to play. If you aren't having fun, something is wrong with YOU, not the game. For the most part discounting hackers and the random bugs. As we are the Alpha testers complaining about these is retarded and you should feel ashamed of yourself for doing so. You fail at your jobs if you do as we are here to really test the game while playing it. Fun is secondary.

Instead of always asking "What is in it for me." You should be asking "What I can do for the Mod to better it." There is a lot of good feedback in this thread... Then there is just the hrrrrkggkggkgbbffffttttt comments.

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin
  • Like 1

Lol @ People who think Monster is a guy.

Oh man. It's okay guys. Shhh... Its okay. Your rage... Here.

I have a cup for your tears

lol

It reminds me of how naive people on the internet can be.

Most guy's World of Warcraft girlfriend's for example:

http://edge.ebaumswo...ernetDating.png

Edited by moofactory
  • Like 1

lol

It reminds me of how naive people on the internet can be.

Most guy's World of Warcraft girlfriend's for example:

InternetDating.png

Haha. I linked my picture in a thread somewhere.

Many Fapping was done.

To bring it even further from topic - I like some Monster posts, some of them are funny.

But back to topic: not everything should or can be realistic in the game. Making some things too realistic will make the game unplayable. But why everybody is talking about broken legs, when they try to prove, that game is not realistic. Why do you think, that leg is broken? Maybe you avatar just got his knee dislocated? In such case some type of painkillers will help.

I think that DayZ should stay as realistic as possible, if it doesn't make it unplayable. I mean adding a proper broken bones healing mechanic, which will take up to one month will make it unplayable. But adding a curable dislocated knee mechanic doesn't break the game.

FUN FACTOR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> REALISM

The problem is to balance both :P

I think people are confusing realism with authenticity. If you have to eat, have to drink, have to maintain temperature and have to watch out for players, otherwise, you're screwed, it wouldn't be authentic to add a fluffy pink unicorn in the wild for hunting. (Bad example. but you get what I mean)

• Like 1

add a fluffy pink unicorn in the wild for hunting.

Fixed and Requesting Ponies.

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin
  • Like 1

I always thought your leg didn't break but was just fractured myself, in any case I find most of the "realism" nutjobs are the PVP guys who talk about how guns work or the kill or be killed mentality of this game, to them I say sure lets make this game more realistic for you so that eating takes about 20-30 minutes, bandaging a wound takes about 10 minutes but before that you need to clean it and apply disinfectant, if you were shot then you need to get someone to extract the bullet first, you have a stamina meter that is designed around the average joe so about 3 minutes running you need to rest, etc. Jokeing aside though if these mechanics were actually implemented the realism nutjobs would start saying "its a game, less realism plz!".

Edited by neo2157

You have a stamina meter. You just can't see it.

Does it have any effect besides makeing my character breath heavy? I can't say i've noticed any negative effects from running so far.

Does it have any effect besides makeing my character breath heavy? I can't say i've noticed any negative effects from running so far.

Your aim is less accurate.

Yes, you also run slower. You don't lose stamina if you just jog, if you sprint (double tap W) you will run faster, but you will lose speed over time and to the point you will have to jog or stop to regain it back.

Moving in any way shape or form decreases your auccracy for a short amount of time.

I like the idea of extracting bullet, otherwise you get let's say fever and infection. Will require another player to do it though;)

• Like 2

I like the idea of extracting bullet, otherwise you get let's say fever and infection. Will require another player to do it though;)

Would make for example the MP5 actually work the way it is designed (less stopping power so that the bullet doesn't penetrate the opponent for optimized CQC).

Hands up Who hated the old batman films?

Hands up who loves the new batman films?

Im gona go out on a limb and say most of you like the new trilogy to the old ones?

Why?

My thoughts are this.

They are much more grounded in reality.

They have a sense of "this is not entirely realistic... but its not totally Unbelievable"

And that's the thing about any good movie. or game for that matter.

Costumes, characters, weapons, vehicles, setting.

They all have to feel believable to the viewer.

Could I stretch that as far to say as... more Authentic? even... Immersive?

I don't think that's such a stupid comment.

Batman... is not real, its fantasy, its creative...

But... it still has believability.

So, what I say taking away from this... is that just like any fictional movie that's grounded in reality.

A game, grounded in reality like dayZ... Can have creative exceptions to "realism"...

If its not nessisarally "realistic" but has some grounding in reality.. than it will work.

Any game needs balance for it to work, Realism shouldn't come at the cost of breaking a game.

So I think its important to not get bogged down in an argument over tiny details that in the end... wont matter.

Random offtopic note, MP5 should be kept in the same damage, but cause targets to bleed easier and bones to break quicker.

Bleeding and Broken Bones should also have stacking damage. More "Bleeds" up causes you to lose blood faster. More broken bones cause you to run slower, then crouch run slower, eventually leading to a slow crawl.

Donno, just a random idea on the topic of realism and how it could be fun.

Hands up Who hated the old batman films?

Hands up who loves the new batman films?

Im gona go out on a limb and say most of you like the new trilogy to the old ones?

Why?

My thoughts are this.

They are much more grounded in reality.

They have a sense of "this is not entirely realistic... but its not totally Unbelievable"

And that's the thing about any good movie. or game for that matter.

Costumes, characters, weapons, vehicles, setting.

They all have to feel believable to the viewer.

Could I stretch that as far to say as... more Authentic? even... Immersive?

I don't think that's such a stupid comment.

Batman... is not real, its fantasy, its creative...

But... it still has believability.

So, what I say taking away from this... is that just like any fictional movie that's grounded in reality.

A game, grounded in reality like dayZ... Can have creative exceptions to "realism"...

If its not nessisarally "realistic" but has some grounding in reality.. than it will work.

Any game needs balance for it to work, Realism shouldn't come at the cost of breaking a game.

So I think its important to not get bogged down in an argument over tiny details that in the end... wont matter.

Authenticity is relative and subjective. To deliver a high amount of authenticity to the players, you need to make sure there are no major aspects of the game that takes away that feeling.

When creating a survival simulator, some elements are more important than others. Using tools and weapons need to induce a sense of realism (shooting someone needs to significantly harm and disable that someone and not just take a bit of HP away, hitting someone in the head with a blunt object should inflict severe damage or even prove fatal, knives can't cut through steel fences, etc), the character's virtual anatomy needs to simulate a real anatomy in terms of strain, external and internal damage, energy intake via food and water and the virtual world needs to simulate the real world through realistic physics, realistic visuals and environmental effects. These are some of the fundamental elements of a survival sim that creates authenticity. If those aren't as close as possible to their real counterparts, it takes away that authenticity.

So... they can't be sacrificed in the name of balance. It would destroy the mod game.

Edited by Athrins
  • Like 1