Sign in to follow this  
Cpt.Carramack

You say 'alpha', but how far can this really go Rocket?

First i'll quickly say i'm no game developer or coder of any kind, just a humble animator/level designer, i also completely understand the purpose of the alpha process.

I have seen people complain about various bugs and such and are usually hit with a barrage of reminders that DayZ is in Alpha stage, which would usually be a completely justifyable response, however for the past 6 or so weeks the same bugs have been reported, such as ai pathfinding/navigation, zeds walking and attacking through walls etc etc etc... Surely these things would be at the top of Rockets list of fixes for patches, but nothing particularly game changing or any dramatic improvements have been made?

I was just curious to whether these things can actually be changed, (maybe coders/ game devs can enlighten me here) but surely as DayZ is a mod the mechanics can't be changed too much meaning that some of the major bugs will never be rectified? Which then poses the question if it will go standalone like Rocket i believes intends? Shift to Arma 3 upon release or we just all move to The WarZ or something? As I say im no coder or anything, this was more of a long winded question than a rant.

Thankyou.

Well, normally the alpha stage is more about implementing new features than polishing existing ones. Polish usually happens more in beta stages.

Changes are made to DayZ all the time, just because the mod is still in the Alpha phase doesn't mean "it will never get fixed".

As a regular member you don't see everything that goes on, so be patient and wait it out.

We have a limited number of staff members that work extremely hard, our request volume is extremely high. As the mod is lifting off, of-course it would be like this, we're just getting started.

• Like 2

I don't think Rocket expected his mod to get this popular. I do agree the mod needs a lot of work but it's fun, lots of fun. And people are treating this mod like its a game, they have high expectations for bug fixes and new content. It's not rocket's fault for making such a successful mod hehe but that's all it is for now. Maybe when DayZ hits one million users it'll make the news and Bohemia will give him some more people to help him. People just need to remember that they bought Arma, not DayZ.

Changes are made to DayZ all the time, just because the mod is still in the Alpha phase doesn't mean "it will never get fixed".

As a regular member you don't see everything that goes on, so be patient and wait it out.

We have a limited number of staff members that work extremely hard, our request volume is extremely high. As the mod is lifting off, of-course it would be like this, we're just getting started.

Oh i'm not at all questioning your work ethic, and i wasn't at all infering things won't get fixed, my main question was, will the things that clearly need to be fixed, be able to be fixed due to possible holdbacks from Arma 2 mechanics or anything like that or is standalone title in the wind?

Rocket has new animations for zombies and a few more things like dogs that he wants to add already made but he said because of the bugs the 1.7.1 update had he now focuses to make the game stable and then add the more bigger stuff...

Oh i'm not at all questioning your work ethic, and i wasn't at all infering things won't get fixed, my main question was, will the things that clearly need to be fixed, be able to be fixed due to possible holdbacks from Arma 2 mechanics or anything like that or is standalone title in the wind?

Rocket said he already fixed the zombies but he needs more testing before adding the new animations and coding into the game he doesn't wan't the shitstorm that 1.7.1 was...

The Arma II is a nice engine in terms of realism but terrible TURRBLE for modding. Hell, the thing can barely run properly when it's bone stock!

Edited by Cummins

My apologies then. Also, we're unable to comment on future updates/standalone unless they're announced here on the forums to the public.

Guest cRy

It can't.

He will probably release an incomplete version as stand alone for 50 or so dollars (that is 80 at that point)

It will have the same backdoors (if you know the engine you know it isn't really fixable unless he gives server admins more control).

It will more than likely be addressed as the stand alone ARMA 3 version comes to pass (hopefully) - Another 50 bucks.

130 dollars in the end. I'll pay it, cause with all the BS this is still the best game I've ever played.

I have played many, many games over the past 15 years.

The Arma II is a nice engine in terms of realism but terrible TURRBLE for modding. Hell, the thing can barely run properly when it's bone stock!

Ohh....bummer and I thought it was awesome...fail on my part.

to be honest, hopefully the armaII folks take notice, and work with rocket and the dayz team. they must be noticing the increase in sales for a game that originally debuted in 2009.

personally i'm hoping they work together for the new engine and fix up some of the core problems in the game that can't be addresses in the mod itself.

to be honest, hopefully the armaII folks take notice, and work with rocket and the dayz team. they must be noticing the increase in sales for a game that originally debuted in 2009.

personally i'm hoping they work together for the new engine and fix up some of the core problems in the game that can't be addresses in the mod itself.

I know they've noticed the massive sale spike and you would both presume and hope that there would be some form of collaboration for arma3, i'm not sold on a standalone, yes, the game could potentially be the best game ever but im sure a standalone version of this game would take a long time to make, even with bohemia's backing? Either way TheWarZ is looking like solid competition at the moment, and they claim to have started creating that game before the DayZ mod, so who knows? There could be a standalone 'DayZ' sooner than we think?

Its actually the premiere platform for modding and includes the tools for modmaking and even scripting in-game

It can't.

He will probably release an incomplete version as stand alone for 50 or so dollars (that is 80 at that point)

It will have the same backdoors (if you know the engine you know it isn't really fixable unless he gives server admins more control).

It will more than likely be addressed as the stand alone ARMA 3 version comes to pass (hopefully) - Another 50 bucks.

130 dollars in the end. I'll pay it, cause with all the BS this is still the best game I've ever played.

I have played many, many games over the past 15 years.

The stand alone retail will be about $30. No one has paid anything for Dayz yet. If you only bought Arma 2 to be a Dayz alpha tester, then you are missing out on the best parts of the package:

Arma 2 editor, Arma 2 domination, Ace/Acre, Invasion 1944, and so on......

Dean works for BI. He is in-house so no worries.

Most of the problems lie with the Arma engine, no matter what the mod is.

Stupid things like: dieing when riding a motorbike slowly into a small bush by accident because the vehicle physics/handling are so bad; loosing gear out of inventory/bag because the inventory systems is poor; terrible graphic/lighting glitches (this just gets worse every release, OFP was better!); poor character action animations; there are so many more. I've been playing Zedland and it suffers like DayZ.

So I think DayZ on Arma 2 will always be problematic, so really it should be dropped. It was a great experiment and it has proved a marketable concept but it has outgrown the engine. I don't think a standalone A2 game should be released though. All effort should now be put into the Arma 3 version so BiS can make A3 work for DayZ by coding in stuff Rocket needs to make the mod into a decent game.