mikyjax

First kill... hated it :( Thanks the devs!

Hi guys,

Tonight I was looting to the airport, in a hangar N/W.

A guy was coming to me,crouch in a bluefirestick he droped before.

I asked him twice to tell his intentions, both in french and english.

He didn't see me and was coming very close.. 4 days I was playing with this char.. I freaked out and headshot him (a survivor smh). No honour, not a nice kill... just a guy crouching who stopped going forward.

Shit, one month I play the game, never shot at human player, even not bandit.

It was 4 hours ago and I still feel like crap.

I stole his stuffs, he got m16, m4a1 CO fully loaded, gps, map, knife, tool kit... everything. Still feel like crap :/

I wasn't able to "apologize" since he just disconnect.

So if you recognize yourself, I m sorry. I know how it probably pissed you off and it wasn't intended. Now i m a bandit... gonna be more hard since I don't plan to shoot to somebody again.

Now to the dev's, Rocket and the others we don't talk about:

Thank you.

I never felt like that in a game.

When someone you know for 1 hour saves you, bandaging or giving you blood transfusion... The feeling is incredible. It s like.. someone saves you^^ Same when you save someone.

And when you kill someone, you really feel like crap (me at least^^)

Never a game brought me so many emotions. Never a game was able to make you feel the "Shit I took something to someone".

So yes, I think I tell it each time I post, but : THANK YOU for what you all bring to gaming.

Mike

I can't quite tell if your thanks are sarcastic, but this game isn't meant to be forgiving. Just as life would be, you don't know the other person's intentions, he could have killed you if he saw you, but you reacted first. And the fact he didn't respond when you asked twice would be reason enough to kill them to many people.

Have to agree. The same thing that make you pause when you destroy another person's progression and the lose you feel when it happens to yourself, is what makes all the difference in this mod.

You're pretty much the ideal player, letting yourself be affected this much by the virtual characters. If I was a developer (and God knows I'd be if I could), I would find it extremely satisfying knowing that what I have created got to you as a person so much.

No .. that wasn't sarcastic at all... give so much powerfull emotions in a game is just outstanding... No sarcasm.. it s part of the game.

I got kill a lot of time, by survivors or bandits, sometimes sombies^^

So I learnt lesson... that cuve is very impressive too.

Because when I started the game, I almost sweard to myself I wouldn't kill ^^

But with "experience" you finally cross the line. This is so crazy and interresting.

This is not only a game.. It s a freaking Social experiment who demonstrates so much, even about yourself. Some could say I play too seriously and I can agree ^^. But when game are immersive like that, I just try to play it the more seriously I can.

This game has so much to give, so much to show.

Mike

If you really would have felt bad you wouldn't have taken anything, you would have just hidden the corpse and moved on.

:D

If you really would have felt bad you wouldn't have taken anything' date=' you would have just hidden the corpse and moved on.

[/quote']

He's dead, and it's horrible, and there's no turning back...

But you gotta feed them kids, rite?

If you really would have felt bad you wouldn't have taken anything' date=' you would have just hidden the corpse and moved on.

[/quote']

He's dead, and it's horrible, and there's no turning back...

But you gotta feed them kids, rite?

Yeah, if they are hungry for lead

It s interresting you say that, I m not sure people got emotionally bad enough to let the loot there. I think if that happened in real life I would have picked the stuff after too (and cry and pee on myself^^).

But honnestly, I think that part is the "survivor shit"

One guy is "dead" let s make it worth it at least.

The stuff I picked on him will be a good help to AVOID contact next time.

And it already saved My "life" right after inside a zombie mass attack.

So yes. I still try to convince myself it was the stuff to do ^^

Mike

There is no real loss, only time invested... which was spent playing and having fun... so there was no real loss.

It's a game.

Yes of course, I totally agree Sgt Spam.

I m not crying, I won't hesitate between going ahead in my life or kill myself :D

That s why I put " " everywhere.

I just hate to piss off people ^^ even if the game is "somewhere" based on that :)

There is no real loss' date=' only time invested... which was spent playing and having fun... so there was no real loss.

It's a game.

[/quote']

Yeah, but only because we can't make it more than a game in all perception. So at least in some abstract way we can let ourselves get attached and feel for loss in this other world.

After all, that's the core of gaming in the end of the day, isn't it?

I had this same feeling way back on my first day. I fired at somebody in the back, just because. He said "oh dang....." in chat. It hit me HARD, the fact that he'd just been walking along, possibly working all day, and I came up and shot him.. just because.

I thought, maybe if i'd told him to stop and drop his gun on the floor, or if i'd just turned and walked away, life would have been better for both of us.

Since day one, since that kill, i've never harmed unnecessarily. Only to protect myself, my group, or naive survivors in need. I also hunt and kill bandits that brag about killings in Side channel, I don't consider them DayZ players.

Yeah. The only Survivor I've ever killed was a guy named "Edward" I think... had him sighted with a DMR and was hoping he'd just pass me by (seeing as I was in a forest, prone in observation of a town)... Well not so much.

He comes barrelling towards me, revolver in hand, horde behind him. He finishes the horde and continues moving in about my direction.

I quickly go to side; tell him to prone.

He does... then looks around... finds me... grabs binocs, and stands up and stares me down... puts away binocs and grabs rifle...

So many things were happening too fast and as soon as I saw the rifle being pulled I thought, "This guys must be hostile..." and shot once to the chest. He quickly began patching himself and I shot again; dead.

Supposedly, and I believe him, he was standing in the open as a target in a gesture of peace. The rifle draw, an AKS Kobra, was an accidental click of the scroll wheel.

Thing is, I couldn't read his mind...

I stayed around the body for about an hour in hopes he'd return to it and grab his loot... I felt terrible the rest of the game.

At least you feel some remorse. When I kill someone half the time I dont even take their stuff because I like my gear. I just hide their body and everything on it so they cant get it back.

Oh wow. I know exactly how you feel buddy.

After playing for two weeks I got my first murder yesterday. Me and a mate were sitting in the huge building next to the Stary Sobor military camp. It was pitchblack and we had trouble to identify ourselves when suddenly someone attempted to go inside. He was weilding a flashlight and came closer very fast. We both made the decision to shoot this guy on sight, once he enters the building.

My friggin heart was pumping. Unluckily, he finally entered the building. I immediatly opened fire und pumped a whole clip, full auto into that poor guy. After dealing with the Zeds, that have noticed our shots, we finally examined the body.

Turned out it was a survivor. It felt bad. It was a bad decision to open fire. His death was totally avoidable. He couldn't even shoot back because he was carrying his flashlight. I should have thought of it in the first place.

His name was 'Luis' and he was asking for his murderer. I was too ashamed to answer. Too ashamed of killing an unarmed survivor, without thinking of any better alternatives. No hard feelings when killing a bandit. But this was something different.

Yes... this game is awesome.

Proably.. well... simply the best game ever?

Maybe mayans were talking about DayZ when they mentionned end of the world in 2012^^

The guilt leaves you little by little with every kill' date=' as your soul slowly slips away into oblivion.

[/quote']

I feel no guilt anymore. I was killed in cold blood while trying to fight off zombies who glitched through the walls after that I spawned as bandit (lolwut?) and then my switch went over to "well I'll just kill everyone who gets too close."

I simply don't take risks with players anymore unless I can be 95% sure they are friendly or have no ammo.

Yeah i feel like a dick head when i have to kill people, though not as bad when i kill bandits. (even though i had a bandit skin at 1 point from killing survivors trying to shoot me lol :P )

My first kill was somebody who followed me up a lighthouse ladder, I turned around and suddenly he was behind me.

I probably overreacted..since I shot him about 20-30 times. That's what it took for the game to finally tell me he was dead, and I sorta panicked that he'd get back up after the first 2-4 shots not killing him.

My second kill was a man walking along on the railway, I could see he had an m16 and at that point I only had my makarov. So I ambushed him for that m16. The first mag didn't take him down and he was bandaging, I could see him bleeding from several locations, and I slowly walked up to him while firing the whole time D:. I'd never had a rifle before that point, I didn't know where to look. I'd had an m1911 that I found in a house during my previous life, but I didn't know where to get more mags for it and had run out very quickly. I was very pleased with my m16 and single magazine of ammo.

In general I've mostly stopped minding about killing other players, I find I gravitate towards gunfire to see what's up and maybe benefit from it, I don't deliberately hunt other players or go to packed areas with a sniper. If I see somebody coming my way alone I will usually take him out if he comes within about 200m of my location(i'm usually more cautious about coming out of the trees and looking around so i've yet to see somebody notice me first), especially if there isn't that much cover about.

What i'm trying to say by half stealing your thread..is that I never felt guilt from killing people. I felt a bit weird that it wasn't needed, but I was always pretty happy to still be alive after it :).

I died and respawned in Kamenka.

There he was, another survivor, he was shooting some zombies around him. He didn't have a primary weapon yet so I assumed he must've spawned recently as well, just like me.

"Ok, let's do this." I thought, might as well give it a shot, just out of curiousity... I mean, it's not like he would loose a lot of progress anyways!

So he was standing 20m away from me near a fence while I was next to a house. I opened fire and shot a mag at him, but to my surprise he wasn't dead! I saw him panic and he disappeared behind the fence. FUCK! Omg, I thought it was gonna be over just like that, it was gonna be easy! I began fearing for my life so I ran behind the house, hiding, slowly making my way around the house. There he was again, bleeding pretty badly... Omg what have I done, I shot another mag at him while he ran around the corner. Still no kill in the log :s I slowly approached the corner and saw him lying on the floor, probably broke some of his legs. Shot him in the head the moment I saw him.

That was NOT what I thought it was gonna be like. It was gonna be: shoot him at the fence, some lols... But damn, this made me feel pretty bad! Hunting him like that... It made me feel like you try to snap a hurt animal's neck to put it out of its misery but it didn't work the first time and it's squeaking at you while you're desperately trying to make it end. What a struggle :s Yup, made me feel bad, oh yes it did.

I got a bandit skin and killed myself afterwards to get rid of it, never gonna do that again...

Sorry! Whoever you are, it was a pretty short name "reD" or something.

yep. I try not kill people either Miky. To be fair you tried not to kill the guy - you did what you could to prevent it. He was in a notorious part of the map, carrying a lot of gear that could rip through you and not communicating. Everyone knows when you see someone you watch the chat for the "friendly?" and you respond asap. Not your fault. I think it was either him or you. I think in real life in a him or you situation you would do the same thing for personal saftey - you're doing it right.

My latest story to share:

I play together with 2 friends (now have a new 3rd, making 4 total). Sometimes one of us can't play, so the others explore and try to double back to a halfway point so we can keep up with each other. We've managed that pretty well. So, one of my friends and I trotted to the north for the first time, Zelenogorsk/Drozhino area, eventually making it to Vybor. My friend and I split up to the school (I think it's a school) and convenience store to scavenge and shout out what we find to each other. While in the convenience store, I saw a bandit running through the streets. He looked at me, probably thought I didn't see him, and slowly crept to cover behind a car in front of the store. I announced his presence to my friend, and told him to keep quiet and get in position on the school's roof. I told him not to fire yet, and to just keep an eye on him while I figure out how to get out of the store quietly through one of the side doors. I went ahead and did that, looped around the back of the adjacent building, and had a great flank on the bandit from his rear-right, though with a car blocking my path. I didn't want to simply run around the car nor shoot him from that distance, so I gave my friend the go ahead to fire a pistol round or two in his direction (he was well behind a destroyed hummer, so he couldn't simply kill him himself). The bandit immediately dropped into a prone, which is where I saw my perfect window to move in on him. I had my friend just fire a single round at him every 3 seconds to keep him busy and overpower the sound of my footsteps. The bandit still managed to hear me between the shots apparently, and he went into a crouch and turned to face me. He then started backing up, but lo and behold, he was getting hit by my friend and dropped to the ground (passed out with hourglass). I stepped over his body, paused for a few seconds, and destroyed his face with 2 shots from my Enfield, execution style. He said in the chat that all he saw was my face at the end of the barrel for a few seconds, he was expecting a gunshot, and then my delayed shot made him jump out of his seat. Dude had so much good stuff, we even have a tent set up now thanks to him.

Even though it was a bandit, I felt bad for the poor fella. We gangbanged him from both sides and he had absolutely no chance to fight back nor even escape.