RaedwulfGamer

Will zombies back off if you keep running?

As far as I know: No. Certain zeds can be outran (Crawling ones, hopping ones.) but rarely can running zeds be outran.

There are only a few of ways to lose zeds.

1. Climb a ladder to a roof. Move to other side of building so zeds do not climb the ladder. Go prone away from the edge. Wait for zed aggro to go away.

2. Find a dock and run out on to it near the end. Go prone. Zeds cannot go onto docks and going prone will eventually cause them to lose aggro and wander away. Or you can shoot them taking your time with headshots.

3. Throw a smoke grenade (or flare if at night) near you and go prone a short ways from it. This is hit or miss though. Sometimes all the zeds will go after it and sometimes just a few. Use with caution as it might also attract more zeds to the area.

Overall though I recommend mastering the running backwards and shooting them technique.

A tactic I use is go into a building and pop off head shots if you got the ammo. If not run to another player and let the zed eat him.

best tactic i have found it to run into a building and take em out as they walk in, Zs can only walk inside and this gives you a few valuable seconds to thin their numbers... note: this can, and generally will attract more to you, and other players.

No, you never can, which seems strange...

Run to a barn or a warehouse. Got up the stairs in either and pop them in the head as they shuffle towards you.

Don't jump in the sea, you lose everything.

I wonder if we toss/ place some meat down- cook or raw-...maybe they can help- or should incase you ran out of ammo?

Putting as many obstacles between yourself and the zeds is your best bet to temporarily get some breathing room from them: weave between trees and rocks if you're in a forest, or draw them into buildings and dash out if you're near civilization.

As said previously, smoke grenades work the best, if you can get far enough away to toss one down without being clawed to death, but make sure you go prone once they're drawn to the smoke.

The runners, in my experience, do not give up. Ever. Damn zombies ghosts will even phase through walls just to get a swipe at my beans...

Obstacles btw you and the zeds won't works because they'll pass trough them! The only way to outrun all the zombies (including the fast ones) is to run up to a hill, those ones where you can't run, finding the "right" path (there might be a certain path where you can run, while on the sides you can only work...), now the zeds cannot replicate this exact path and they cannot follow you; also descending the hill will make the remaining ones falling and diying (pretty hilarous..). This is the only way i've found to outrun them, and i've managed to outran about 40 of em (i had really had to run from elektro to cherno e finally get rid of em "using" the lighthouse hill!).

I've had this experience twice:

Being chased by runners, I found a steep hill and ran down it until I found a short dropoff (about my height, not enough to break legs)... I dropped down and was trying to lose them by hiding...

But what happened was the zombies bolting down the hill at full speed flew off the dropoff and landed further down the hill, the drop for them being about the height of 2 people at that speed, and they died as they did this...

It did not work on the crawlers... but I just ran from them afterwards.

It's very difficult to find a hill that this will work on and execute it, but, hey, if you're bolting and find one... thank me ;)

Obstacles btw you and the zeds won't works because they'll pass trough them!

Ah, but that's not entirely true; if you put trees and rocks and fences between yourself and the zeds, you can buy those few seconds you need to turn around, sight your weapon, and breathe a little to aim properly and pick off a few of them.

Of course, if you're out of ammo that's a different story entirely...

Ye.. but if you're chase by tenth of them i wouldn't risk to start shooting, even having plenty of ammo and the right weapon. In open fields it is extremely hard to shot them down without being attacked, because: lag + crazy zombi path + crazy zombi acceleration. You'll loose tons of blood. It's much better to run run run (and use the "hill method") until you outrun most of them remaining with only few to shoot.

My brother and I could find no ammo in any building we came across (though I probably could have built 5 cars with all the car parts lying around), eventually I aggro'd a zombie trying to get into a barn. Thankfully we had one smoke grenade which we looted off a former survivor in our group, we thought this might save us.

We threw it down, all the zeds were attracted to it and we though w000, HIGH FIVE!!! GO SMOKE GRENADE! LETS GET OUTTA HERE!!!...... then the Fing building exploded, literally exploded all around us! We didn't even think that was possible in Arma 2. I can only assume it was a bug resulting from throwing a smoke grenade in doors.

Anyway we got out of the rubble and ended up running for about 30 minutes while frantically typing in side chat, "how can you lose zeds with no ammo" before dying, we did run up some hills and try to use flairs to distract them but nothing seemed to work for us. Some of the tips in this thread I'm sure will help us if this happens again!

Title says it all..

:D

ways i have done it is as previously mentioned

run into buildings, get up a ladder ( pop a few if you want ), docks are good although ive been hit through the floor by zombies below me and smoke grenades/ flares apparently help but i have yet to get this to work personally.

when dealing with large groups it will help to run through multiple buildings, but dont stay too long in one, ive been surrounded in a red brick house before now with about 60 zombies coming in both doors

luckly i survived by carving my way through them while sprinting and running a few laps round the village, got about 130 kills when i was done.

if you just keep running ive found that they catch up to you eventually even if you leave them in buildings, one example is hoppers, i had 5 chasing me but i carried on sprinting only to find that as i was looting a building miles from my previous location that all 5 of them were not coming through the door blocking my exit.

oh and one i dont think was mentioned is survivors, if your lucky a survivor who is unaware of your approach and may attract the zombies aggro, leaving the unsuspecting fool with every zombie following you, feels great when your not the victim in that situation ;)

Running down steep slopes seems to work with about 50% success. If you have crazy aggro and no ammo run up hill to get distance, then circle back down again once they reach the top. As stated above, their speed is so great they often go flying and die from fall damage. You'll hear a thud or crunch and no more moaning (hold Alt to look behind you as you run to be sure). Again, doesn't always work, but eventually you'll get rid of them unless you have an army after you.

On a more morbid note, if you come across another survivor that is either unwilling to help you or AFK, you can actually shoot him and the zombies will be attracted to his blood. It's kind of hilarious to watch. Did it once to a prone AFK fellow - he started spurting blood and the twenty or thirty runners pursuing me immediately went after the freshly wounded game. About ten minutes later he was yelling in chat because he died while he was AFK. <:

My brother and I could find no ammo in any building we came across (though I probably could have built 5 cars with all the car parts lying around)' date=' eventually I aggro'd a zombie trying to get into a barn. Thankfully we had one smoke grenade which we looted off a former survivor in our group, we thought this might save us.

We threw it down, all the zeds were attracted to it and we though w000, HIGH FIVE!!! GO SMOKE GRENADE! LETS GET OUTTA HERE!!!...... then the Fing building exploded, literally exploded all around us! We didn't even think that was possible in Arma 2. I can only assume it was a bug resulting from throwing a smoke grenade in doors.

Anyway we got out of the rubble and ended up running for about 30 minutes while frantically typing in side chat, "how can you lose zeds with no ammo" before dying, we did run up some hills and try to use flairs to distract them but nothing seemed to work for us. Some of the tips in this thread I'm sure will help us if this happens again!

[/quote']

Wait' date=' the building EXPLODED?

[/quote']

Buildings can actually EXPLODE now!?

And this is why newbies need to explore the game more. Most of the buildings on every island are destructible. It's been this way since the original Operation Flashpoint. The reason the building crumbled when you threw a smoke grenade at it is because of an old collision glitch. When smoke grenades collide with buildings it sometimes causes a large amount of damage to the building causing it to fall.