Sign in to follow this  
Baseballkid9734

What Graphics Card Should I Choose?

dude there is NO reason to run a resolution higher than 1080p. none. not at all. the human eye can;t tell the difference. and as thus you're dumbasfuck.

The sheer amount of dumb in this comment has made me lose faith in humanity.

YOU alone are what's wrong with this world.

Jesus fucking christ, go fuck yourself and stop spewing bullshit.

Edited by Fapguy

My monitor doesn't natively display 16x9, only 16x10, which is 1920x1200...

Why would 120 more pixels make such a huge performance drop?

It would drag down your FPS because it's not just 120 pixels.

It's 1920x120 pixels extra. 230.400 pixels. Which is VERY noticable in quality.

Don't let people misinform you, check the facts first :)

Edited by Fapguy

always nvidia over ati

fanboys.jpg

:P

Edited by Vipala

ATI is more bang for your buck!

Agreed, I hear lots of people saying they get so many problems with ATI and their drivers, but I've never had any trouble whatsoever, the only thing I've ever encounted was with RAGE textures not loading properly. And that was not an ATI issue.

If someone who's calling other people "dumbasfuck" was running around saying the sky is green would you take the time to dig up facts on how the sky is really blue? Once they teach him ratios in math class he can look me up and I'll explain it in more detail. In the meantime I would suggest nobody takes Audio/Video/Computer advice from him.

This man is speaking the truth.

I'm an idiot, end of story.

*edit* LOL, UNDEREXAGGERATION, I'M ACTUALLY A DUMB CUNT TOO!

Agreed on that too.

Note: I only read OP's post

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY THE 550. I personally had a 460, which is I think the best gpu you can get for your money, and the 560 is a bit better then that. I currently own a Gigabyte 6870 and I love it. I really haven't seen much difference between my 460 and my 6870.

TLDR:

550 - absolute shit

560 - great card, used to own 460

6870 - personally own and love it

dude there is NO reason to run a resolution higher than 1080p. none. not at all. the human eye can;t tell the difference. and as thus you're dumbasfuck.

Wow, you don't know what you're talking about. You do know there are different aspect ratios than 16:9 don't you? It's quite likely his monitor's native resolution is 1920x1200 (16:10), in which case running at 1920x1080 would result in a stretched image and blurred pixels.

What about monitors with native resolution of 2560x1600? Is that worthless? And should the man who bought that monitor run his games at 1920x1080 as well? Fucking moron. Idiocy runs rampant in these parts I see.

ON-TOPIC: I have an HD 6870 and an i5-2500k and the game runs just fine at mid-high settings.

Edited by Huuwap

So, I'm building my first computer and I have most of my specs picked out. I just need to know what would be a better card. I'm looking to play games like this, CoD5 (custom maps), Left4Dead, maybe even battlefield. I'm looking for minimal fps lag on a fairly high resolution on fairly high settings. I have narrowed it down to these cards:

>http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130652

>http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130770

and this >http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150521

any suggestions? thanks :)

I bought the 7950 once they were released here in Denmark, never regretted it, though it might be out of your budget.

I'd go for a 7850 which uses alot less power than the GTX 560 Ti and GTX 570 - but also at a cheaper price and still slightly wins over both of them.

:edit: The 7850 is slightly slower than the GTX 570, but it has alot more overclocking headroom and will still use less power to win.

Edited by Fapguy

Agree with the above, i had a 460 ..awesome card on release and stood the test of time, did Arma without a problem, swapped it out for a 560ti when my mate upgraded to a 680 . The 560ti runs it maxed with no dramas. Budget rig, i5 @ 3.33 and a cheapie gigabyte board with 4g ram.

It's okay guys, you don't have get so angry at each other...

I'm wondering if I should return my 670 though o.O

It's okay guys, you don't have get so angry at each other...

I'm wondering if I should return my 670 though o.O

If you can get a full refund and no trouble I'd say go for it, though I don't know what else you'd want.

The 670 is not the cause for your lacking FPS.. ArmA is just very weird.

I get 80-140 FPS with my 7950 and 4GHz Phenom II 955 o.o ... although I have everything but Texture Detail(max) and AA(something above high) at the lowest. 1920x1080.

I want a 2560x1440 screen :(

If you can get a full refund and no trouble I'd say go for it, though I don't know what else you'd want.

The 670 is not the cause for your lacking FPS.. ArmA is just very weird.

I get 80-140 FPS with my 7950 and 4GHz Phenom II 955 o.o ... although I have everything but Texture Detail(max) and AA(something above high) at the lowest. 1920x1080.

I want a 2560x1440 screen :(

So you have vsync off? Way too much tearing for my pref.

Edited by drewmaw

So you have vsync off? Way too much tearing for my pref.

Oh right, yes I use vsync :)

:agreed with your sig

New nvidia drivers installed today, so we'll see how that goes :)

I've been reading that if you use frame targeter in PrecisionX it's better than using VSync on performance. So I'll try that too.

If you want to get the best of those cards, choose the 6870. Or if you have an extra 50 bucks get this http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121425

DO NOT BUY THE NORMAL 560 nor the 550 Ti, They suck!!!

Reading the entire thread would probably be better for you :)

My monitor doesn't natively display 16x9, only 16x10, which is 1920x1200...

Why would 120 more pixels make such a huge performance drop?

Actually, it's an extra 230,400 pixels. . . but it still won't make that big of a difference.

Wow, I leave for a few hours and I come back to this? :P Well I've read all the posts and this is what I'm absorbing:

the 560 ti will do the job but the 6870 is much better so I think I have a gypst of things. Thanks guys:p

http://www.videocard...h_end_gpus.html

Look at the completely useless benchmarks and be amazed by how useless and unprecise and unreliable they are

How about linking some GAME benchmarks instead of synthetic benchmarks that rarely tell the truth, usually far from it.

You should get a Galaxy GTX 680 GC 4GB like myself, but I am getting it because I play games like BF3, FSX, FC2, IL2, etc... and I want to experience 3 monitor setup :)

Edited by maximiliousP

So, I'm building my first computer and I have most of my specs picked out. I just need to know what would be a better card. I'm looking to play games like this, CoD5 (custom maps), Left4Dead, maybe even battlefield. I'm looking for minimal fps lag on a fairly high resolution on fairly high settings. I have narrowed it down to these cards:

>http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130652

>http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130770

and this >http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150521

any suggestions? thanks :)

Stick with the 550ti 2gb. It's not uber powerful, but that extra gigabyte of memory will come in handy when you're trying to run some of the games coming out now.

A 7850 beats the 550Ti, the 560Ti - AND it beats the GTX 570 if you overclock. If you don't, it's only 2-4% behind the 570.

Does it have to be more obvious?

quote from any trustworthy tech site "HD 7850 provides great midrange capabilities beating the Radeon HD 6950 and the NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti."

Edited by Fapguy

How about linking some GAME benchmarks instead of synthetic benchmarks that rarely tell the truth, usually far from it.

Has always worked fine for me in the past. Can you provide an explanation as to why it's not accurate or telling the "truth"? You must have some evidence that you're willing to provide to backup your statement, otherwise there is no point in making it now is there?

Sure individual game benchmarks would help, but only if they were for this specific game. So indeed, if you have a link to benchmarks for the aforementioned graphics processing units in this thread for ArmA 2, then please feel free to post them here.