Sign in to follow this  
ENSLAVER

Put dev time into standalone rather than Arma II. [Rocket] [Future standalone] [Arma II Limitations]

The Arma II engine is a limiting factor when it comes to implementing ideas. I believe it would take an equivilent amount of time to do the same things in a new engine/standalone/etc.

Some players will be mad given such a large player base, and we will need updates to fix critical issues, but I for one would like to see majority of the dev time going to get an alpha out that will fully develop the ideas and mechanics behind dayz.

I only post this because I love dayz, and want to see live up to its full potential.

Rocket wants rights to the RV engine from Bohemia so he can edit the source and engine to his liking. Thats when the game becomes standalone. In no way is he avoiding this. BTW adding tags into your title isn't very necessary.

/thread.

• Like 1

Rocket wants rights to the RV engine from Bohemia so he can edit the source and engine to his liking. Thats when the game becomes standalone. In no way is he avoiding this. BTW adding tags into your title isn't very necessary.

/thread.

Thanks for the info, RV is what Arma 3 runs on eh? That should be great.

Edited by ENSLAVER

RV is the engine name all the ArmA's run on. ArmA3 will run the next line of the engine yes. Better physics, better graphics, better optimisation is the first of what ive heard from it.

ArmA III will have better, more fluid and realistic animation cycles as well. It uses pre-calculated shadows where possible, to lessen the performance impact on the players' systems. And the maps are significantly larger, according to the B.I.S. team.

You can find more information in the B.I.S. forum, as well as the Wikipedia. Also, lighting effects looks rather impressive with the next generation of the Real Virtuality-engine. Hopefully DayZ will take advantage of the new features, and make good use of it.

Edited by Sugarbeats

The physics will be a major plus, specially with ragdoll and vehicles.

ps. Imagine a horde of zombies running out of the darkness in this image:

standard_Arma3_screenshot_1202_27.jpg

The Arma II engine is a limiting factor when it comes to implementing ideas. I believe it would take an equivilent amount of time to do the same things in a new engine/standalone/etc.

Some players will be mad given such a large player base, and we will need updates to fix critical issues, but I for one would like to see majority of the dev time going to get an alpha out that will fully develop the ideas and mechanics behind dayz.

I only post this because I love dayz, and want to see live up to its full potential.

most likely the standalone will take time to come out, that everyone seems to forget is that Rocket says he he hopes the standalone will come out in september. But also if it's going to run on arma 3:s engine, he'll most likely have to make a new map or get bohemia or some one else to make one for him since the announced map for arma 3 is in greece with alot of high mountain and hills, with little to nothing with trees.