newb (DayZ)

Do you believe in being trusting of other players?

Just wanted to add that i WANT to trust people but with players like the one above this post its damn hard as they are dicks who would be better playing COD...

• Like 1

Many of you are just proud to do your mindless kilings.

This game is going to die soon for the lone wolf players due to the asshatery that has been going on.

it seems like the COD and Battlefield 3 kiddies have found another game to play. Such a shame, the game have potential, other mindless players killing it for the others.

Well... I actually would prefer a more friendlier atmosphere occasionally, but to be quite honest, I only trust people I can talk to via "mumble" (fuck TS btw!) any other player I do not know is a potential threat. Of course I do not kill spawners.

Quite recently, me and a friend of mine were walking through a forest to a high value industrial site. Everything seemed clear and I hid in the grass covering my team mate, when suddenly some other player walked towards my team mate. He opened fire on first sight with some weak handgun, so all I could do was shooting him in the head with my kobra... When we looted the player, we found nothing but the handgun and some bandages, nothing too fancy really. In conclusion, the game makes one paranoid, which I think is a good thing... consequence however is a bullet in the head either yours or theirs.

In addition, people are greedy, really greedy... So am I. I mean, come one, who would not shoot other players who were standing around a V3S truck like sheep doing nothing but waiting to be relieved. :>

I am a bad person, I think. Albeit I enjoy killing hunters/bandits alot more than killing innocent players, this usually make me feel kinda bad.

Edited by Antipr0duct

In addition, people are greedy, really greedy... So am I. I mean, come one, who would not shoot other players who were standing around a V3S truck like sheep doing nothing but waiting to be relieved. :>

I wouldn't as the V3S would then make ME a target for others and i can get around just fine with my own two legs. Its the greed of having something that another does not. Its bragging rights at the end of the day. "i have a bigger gun then you ner ner!" Really? i get on fine with a simple Winchester or just my Hatchet to survive having a SD weapon would be nice but its not essential to my survival. So i think i just disproved your "everyone is greedy" theory.

I absolutely play to interact with others. Shit, even my signature is all about that :) Usually, if I spot someone I think might be friendly (definitely NOT anyone armed with any kind of scoped or otherwise advanced military weaponry) I also give a call out over DC. But I am very cautious when I do this: I usually only call out from behind cover in a concealed position where I can see them but not vice versa, and if I detect the slightest hint of BS I'm outta there.

PS: I think friendly alliances are still very much alive on DayZ, contrary to popular opinion; it's just rare, as it would be irl, too. I recently had an experience to back this up: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/51524-approaching-strangers-or-friendship-in-a-cruel-world/

Edited by abxt

Don't trust people, I found a player without a weapon(I had an enfield) and went with him to the airstrip. When we stumbled upon an ak, he picked it up and shot me to death.

Edited by witek26

I wouldn't as the V3S would then make ME a target for others and i can get around just fine with my own two legs. Its the greed of having something that another does not. Its bragging rights at the end of the day. "i have a bigger gun then you ner ner!" Really? i get on fine with a simple Winchester or just my Hatchet to survive having a SD weapon would be nice but its not essential to my survival. So i think i just disproved your "everyone is greedy" theory.

Actually, the V3S is one of the few things that ressembles some sort of "fort" in the game. We use it to store items we need. It is always a good thing to come back to the truck after you were killed and know there are medical supplies, good weapons, food and drinks around. If things get a bit dodgy, that very fort can easily be moved to another location. So yes, my greed, or maybe just the big advantage the truck provides, were my intentions to kill those other players. I am also quite certain they would have killed me to protect their gear...

It sounds like you are playing on your own mostly, right? If you do, I would agree that a winchester or a Lee Enfield does the trick, but somehow, there is not much joy in spending your time in the most remote places just to survive. I would be happy to interact with friendly people, however, I have yet expercienced that strange players are more likely to be hostile than friendly. Which puts me and my team mates in an awkward situation. The situation I explained earlier on, is just one of the many negative examples we experienced.

Having said that, I do not sit on top of some firestation waiting for survivors to snipe... nope. Also, we are by no means, weapon collectors. The best we got is the m107 which yet has not been fired at all. We mostly stick to standard weapons such as the kobra and avoid to shoot other players, as long they become a potential threat.

Edited by Antipr0duct

Many of you are just proud to do your mindless kilings.

This game is going to die soon for the lone wolf players due to the asshatery that has been going on.

it seems like the COD and Battlefield 3 kiddies have found another game to play. Such a shame, the game have potential, other mindless players killing it for the others.

Don't you think your point of view isn't a bit narrow? I mean, the game doesn't get better by not killing people and vice versa. The biggest issue is, that people (including me) are not used to create "your own" content. By this I mean, there are ways to interact in the game people might have not thinked of yet. AS a result, people stick to old mechanisms such as fragging everything they see.

For example: Neutral zones scould been established in certain areas. So lets say, instead of shooting any players on sight in Zelenogorsk, anything in and around this town could be regarded as neutral zone, this could been used to have survivors trade items. This would benefit bandits and "good people" alike (bandits could trade stuff they've stolen in exchange for bloodbags... and so on).

Or how about a medical team with some vehicle but no valuable parts helping players in medical distress. For emergency calls, the map could be used... I do not know....

Also, enjoying games like BF3 does not mean, you can not enjoy DayZ. These are two entirely different genres, and BF3 does not thrill, it builds purely on action and more or less strategy, less skill. DayZ in the other hand, can make you go mad, can make you heart beat fast cuz you are being shot at. I would miss this and I am truely lucky, not everybody behaves as peacefully as most of us wish humanity to be.

Edited by Antipr0duct

Don't trust people, I found a player without a weapon(I had an enfield) and went with him to the airstrip. When we stumbled upon an ak, he picked it up and shot me to death.

Happened to me more than once... trust is now gone.

A little preface:

I just started playing recently (maybe a week ago) and am quickly learning the ropes. Numerous times I have been killed on sight while having been unarmed, both in towns scavenging and in the countryside traveling. This hasn't deterred me though, and even if I'm armed and they aren't, I'll give a radio call saying friendly.

Just today from a fresh spawn, I found a crossbow, pistol, standard stuff. I make my way to Electro in search of a better backpack when suddenly I see a hatchet wielding player running down the street. He had an Alice pack, though I had no idea of the other gear. Instead of just killing him outright like most would, we ended up having a nice little exchange of intel about the area and some dude who was sniping everyone from a certain building.

After that we both headed on our separate ways.

--Cool story, Bro--

Anyhow, do any other players actually trust anyone in this game and not kill them for what they have? I see posts on the forums about wanting more comradery, so I thought I'd share my 2 cents to show that there are benefits to it.

Always always shoot first bro,

Thats how Han Solo always survives.... because he shoots first.

Unless of course you can do the thing he did in the special edition version...and magically dodge a bullet by moving your head to the side in a fraction of a second.

.......Fuck you Lucas for ruining my childhood movies.

Edited by Boomstick

Always always shoot first bro,

Thats how Han Solo always survives.... because he shoots first.

Unless of course you can do the thing he did in the special edition version...and magically dodge a bullet by moving your head to the side in a fraction of a second.

.......Fuck you Lucas for ruining my childhood movies.

Han Solo did indeed shoot first. But he didn't see an alien on the other side of the room that "looked" like he could be a bounty hunter and "may" be armed so he shot him as soon as he seen him.

No...no... Han Solo was a badass, not some cowardly worm. He walked over there and took a seat and found out that damn aliens intentions after a little talk then blasted the bugger before he could shoot him first.

Don't compare Han Solo's awesomeness to the bottom feeding murderers!

Edited by Gambles

I used to, then I took a bullet to the knee.

Now, if they don't respond in a reasonable manner within a reasonable time frame (which is quite short), they get shot.

All I have to say is that this is why the side (global chat) is a necessity. May be unrealistic but if it can get you to communicate with others easier then hell, why not. Also have a player messaging system in game to talk to individuals without anyone else seeing it would be great.

A little preface:

I just started playing recently (maybe a week ago) and am quickly learning the ropes. Numerous times I have been killed on sight while having been unarmed, both in towns scavenging and in the countryside traveling. This hasn't deterred me though, and even if I'm armed and they aren't, I'll give a radio call saying friendly.

Just today from a fresh spawn, I found a crossbow, pistol, standard stuff. I make my way to Electro in search of a better backpack when suddenly I see a hatchet wielding player running down the street. He had an Alice pack, though I had no idea of the other gear. Instead of just killing him outright like most would, we ended up having a nice little exchange of intel about the area and some dude who was sniping everyone from a certain building.

After that we both headed on our separate ways.

--Cool story, Bro--

Anyhow, do any other players actually trust anyone in this game and not kill them for what they have? I see posts on the forums about wanting more comradery, so I thought I'd share my 2 cents to show that there are benefits to it.

I don't have issues with trusting anyone, by the time I'm close enough to talk to them I've already killed them. People are so generous when they are dead. They share everything with you and you don't have to worry about them shooting you in the back when you part.

I roam with two other RL friends and we all kill on site if the player has a weapon drawn. If someone trys to talk and says they are friendly we wont shoot, but any action that isnt either the surrender action or putting their weapon away and saying "Im friendly" results in AK burst fire.

I would like to be trusting of other players... but any time I have gotten close to them, they have tried to axe me in the face and take my gear...

I trust other players until they shoot at me or their voice seems hostile.

I do that because i enjoy the game the most when i play together with people i trust/or when there is this tension of whether or not i should trust this stranger.

I play this way because it is fun to me. If it is fun to somebody to go full pvp and shoot everyone on sight thats also perfectly fine.

It's a sandbox after all.

Edited by Torti
  • Like 1

I've gotten pretty good at avoiding other players when I play alone. When I do, on rare occasion, stumble across someone - actually it's more often the case that they stumble across me - I alert them to my presence by speaking calmly and in as conversational a tone as possible. This has diffused several tense encounters. I offer help if they need it, food or gear that I can spare and in most cases go on my way. It probably helps that I tend to not carry rifles. I keep my hatchet armed 98% of the time and carry a side arm just in case I'm in a particularly hairy situation. I've only had one kill, a bandit in self defense, since mid-May.

I don't have much of a history of playing multiplayer shooter games so I've never developed the personality disconnect necessary to kill people because they have better stuff or because I think it might be funny at the moment. To me, personally, it denotes a lack of integrity and general principles. I'm perfectly capable of finding my own stuff thank you very much. I know other people feel differently and play accordingly and that's fine as well, though I may not understand it.

Ultimately I don't really trust anyone, because you really can't in this mod, but if I can't avoid them I try to treat them the way I would like to be treated. If I die because of it, I go down knowing I was the better person, dust myself off and try again.

I definitely agree that direct comms needs a "shout" button that'll let you be heard in a 200m cone in addition to the 80m radial range. I meet a lot of friends by getting involved in their PvZ woes or offering a bandage when it's needed, and seeing a guy a short distance away but not being able to alert him to my presence (without shooting at him, which has a predictably counterproductive effect) is often frustrating.

As for a policy on aggression, I do my best not to fight survivors unless they have gear that I value above their companionship, and not much gear fits that category. A Coyote pack is only 20% bigger than the ubiquitous ALICE pack, and an 1866 is every bit as effective in PvZ as an AKM or DMR. The only stuff that's really worth killing a guy for is stuff like NVG, rangefinders and sniper rifles, which in turn are used primarily for PvP. The obvious exception is vehicles, which are awesome at all times, but when you have the infrastructure and resources to maintain them you'll find that you're in the realm of fighting players for access to finite goods and had better be ready to take on all comers. So for me, I'll only shoot on sight to get rare PvP gear, which in turn I'll only want when I'm trying to steal a vehicle with my buddies, and when I have said vehicle I'll gear up for PvP and kill anyone that comes near the vehicle I stole.

That's a different game up there, where the trucks and the ghillie suits and the forward scouts come into play, and the guys who have gear that's appropriate to that game but not the stomach to play it are the ones who sit on hills overlooking Elektro or watch the fields south of the airbase for targets of opportunity. Those guys are a problem, but not as bad as the nublets who hear stories about griefers and think that everyone they see is hellbent on killing them to drink their blood. They then become what they fear and create this culture of fear and mistrust that permeates the game, and the end result is me having to bind my voice key to my mouse so I can shout, "You're a moron and a jerk and we could have been buddies!" while I scurry out of the Elektro supermarket with Enfield rounds whizzing past my head.

• Like 1