EpicPencil

Is everyone in DayZ like this?

Some players just kill on sight as to not risk any of there precious gear. Others kill for fun or to acquire supplies. It just makes that very rare experience with a friendly player so much better.

Surely Rocket can see the direction his mod is going in, no?

What gives me little hope is that it's been going in this direction for quite a while, and nothing has been done. In fact, one of the few things that helped a little was bandit skins. That was removed.

There are some friendly people, but I think that most of them are on these forums. And when you really think about it, it's not that many. I've met four friendly people. Two of them are real life friends, one of them had no weapons and we were in a dark server, and the other one actually had a gun in Balota Airstrip. None of them actually wanted to group with me past a few seconds. I also met someone on these forums that I saved with a blood bag at 2000 blood. I don't count that though, as the arrangement was made outside of the game. Everyone else in about six weeks of playing DayZ, has shot first. Until there are consequences for murdering, this mod will continue to deteriorate into a death match mod, not much different from Counter-Strike.

The two things that need to be addressed are consequences for being an asshat, or requirements at least and more end-game style content. I also believe that Zed numbers need to be drastically increased, ideally to force grouping in large cities and make zombies a bit more of a factor. Fix the hacking, fix the tents not saving contents, give survivors melee weapons on spawn and for goodness sake, change the inventory and UI to something that isn't confusing as hell.. It took me quite a long time to really figure out how it worked. It still blows.

Edited by DAS1337

What gives me little hope is that it's been going in this direction for quite a while, and nothing has been done. In fact, one of the few things that helped a little was bandit skins. That was removed.

There are some friendly people, but I think that most of them are on these forums. And when you really think about it, it's not that many. I've met four friendly people. Two of them are real life friends, one of them had no weapons and we were in a dark server, and the other one actually had a gun in Balota Airstrip. None of them actually wanted to group with me past a few seconds. I also met someone on these forums that I saved with a blood bag at 2000 blood. I don't count that though, as the arrangement was made outside of the game. Everyone else in about six weeks of playing DayZ, has shot first. Until there are consequences for murdering, this mod will continue to deteriorate into a death match mod, not much different from Counter-Strike.

Specious reasoning. Bandit skins were poorly implemented and they didn't really work. Survivors who earned them in Self-Defence were placed in a position where they had no choice but to start killing on sight (because they were suddenly shoot on sight targets) and Bandits who earned the skin couldn't ever reform because they were placed in a position where KOS was necessary.

As always, you only count amongst the friendly people those who you actually met. You're not taking into account all the people you never saw who let you live.

Today is my second day of DayZ. So far I have mixed feelings about it. Anyways, today i was in Cherno, trying to get some supplies, but i fell and broke my leg. I stopped the bleeding and everything and started to crawl towards some gun fire I heard, hoping someone would show a little kindness to someone with literally no weapons, a few items and a broken left leg. I found the shots coming from a small warehouse. A man was inside firing an M1911. I typed in to chat "Whoever's in there, can you help me because I have a broken leg.". The mystery shooter came outside, took one look at me, and shot me. I don't understand. I posed absolutely zero threat to him, had little to no supplies on me, and yet he still murdered me, in cold blood. If I was in his position, I would help the person out. Is everyone in the game like this? I certainly hope not, seeing as how I'd like this game to be fun, not full of assholes, like cod players. I've heard these players are called "bandits". But everyone I've came across in my journey has been a complete douche or has ignored me.

He did you a favor and put you out of your misery...

The other player didn't have any spare morphine...

No, not everyone is like that.

There sure are a ton of players like that though, as my damned daily workload can attest to...

The two things that need to be addressed are consequences for being an asshat, or requirements at least and more end-game style content. I also believe that Zed numbers need to be drastically increased, ideally to force grouping in large cities and make zombies a bit more of a factor. Fix the hacking, fix the tents not saving contents, give survivors melee weapons on spawn and for goodness sake, change the inventory and UI to something that isn't confusing as hell.. It took me quite a long time to really figure out how it worked. It still blows.

What would you have Rocket do? Consequences for murdering isn't very realistic now is it? There is no David Caruso here to determine if you were killed out of self defence or whatever. No computer algorythm can determine that, only a jury of your peers and that is astoundingly impractical in an FPS video game.

Putting punishments out on people who kill someone else opens an entirely new can of worms. Griefers will find ways around whatever system is in place and ultimately it will punish the innocent.

It isn't sensible for anyone but a very large team of people to let anyone they don't know near them. Even a duo team could be shot in the back the moment they let their guard down. The risk is too great to let anyone near them. Now, I think people who actively chase people down are just dickweeds (check out any of the twitch.tv streamers, they're total bandit jackasses.) but I also defend their playstyle and think that adding a system that punishes them for this is downright wrong.

An example to give, someone was really low on health and looked unarmed, asked for a blood bag. The guy gave it to him and the guy told him that he will then leave because he doesn't trust strangers. After blood bagging, he got up and went to leave and the guy pulled an axe and broke his legs, then teabagged him for 5 minutes as he bled out.

Too much risk to be nice in an apocalypse.

What would you have Rocket do? Consequences for murdering isn't very realistic now is it? There is no David Caruso here to determine if you were killed out of self defence or whatever. No computer algorythm can determine that, only a jury of your peers and that is astoundingly impractical in an FPS video game.

Putting punishments out on people who kill someone else opens an entirely new can of worms. Griefers will find ways around whatever system is in place and ultimately it will punish the innocent.

It isn't sensible for anyone but a very large team of people to let anyone they don't know near them. Even a duo team could be shot in the back the moment they let their guard down. The risk is too great to let anyone near them. Now, I think people who actively chase people down are just dickweeds (check out any of the twitch.tv streamers, they're total bandit jackasses.) but I also defend their playstyle and think that adding a system that punishes them for this is downright wrong.

An example to give, someone was really low on health and looked unarmed, asked for a blood bag. The guy gave it to him and the guy told him that he will then leave because he doesn't trust strangers. After blood bagging, he got up and went to leave and the guy pulled an axe and broke his legs, then teabagged him for 5 minutes as he bled out.

Too much risk to be nice in an apocalypse.

Please save the realism argument for something else, as it doesn't apply here. Zombies aren't real and this is a game. Also, we respawn in this game. I can go on, but I think you get the point, or at least I hope you do.

I would have Rocket try some things, rather than ignoring a huge problem. This is alpha after all. I am not insinuating that bandit skins was the best deterrent, as it wasn't. I was simply stating that bandit skins actually had an effect on how people viewed others and in some cases actually did deter people from that play style.

My idea still stands as untested, but reasonable in my opinion. Whiskey bottles everywhere, right? Ever see one that had whiskey in it? No, I know I haven't. I would suggest adding whiskey to the game. It also allows you to create molotov cocktails. It can get your drunk if you consume it for giggles. It can also be used for banditry. Add a mechanic that gives players the shakes after more than three murders. For reference, I've killed two people in six weeks. So the self defense excuse doesn't really work. Three murders in a 24 hour period should be enough, and if you don't kill someone in 24 hours, your count is reduced. Upon three murders, you get the shakes of guilt. You need to dip into the whiskey bottle to calm your nerves and refocus. It does nothing to stop senseless killing. All it does it requires something for that play style. Instead of just needing food and drink, you also need alcohol to be effective. Is that not a reasonable compromise? The only advantage survivors have is not needing to carry around whiskey, unless used as a grenade. It also gives survivors the decision to actually carry it around. Wouldn't it be ironic if a murderer didn't have any, killed the survivor and looted the whiskey to get back to a normal status? Again, it won't stop murders. It won't stop opportunistic bandits. However, it should reduce the most malicious types of murders out there, who do it for fun and to ruin the game experience of others. You know, the people who run into the nearest town, find a weapon, and kill everyone they can. Or, the people who go north, gear up to the teeth, then come back down and prey on newly spawned players on the beach.

Ultimately, there are a lot of ways you can go. But not testing anything in an alpha test doesn't seem like the right course of action. If it doesn't work, then revert, Right?

Edited by DAS1337
  • Like 2

Not everyone who plays this game is a certified douchebag, and when you find those people who are friendly, cherish them. They will be rarer than a mountain dew drop, but are possibly the most powerful resource in this game--a glimmer of humanity in a world gone cold.

Speaking as someone who has both Mountain Dew and a large crew, life's good baby.

• Like 1

Sadly yeah mate, I am hoping something is done to balance it but for now think of this game as a Deathmatch mod.

Some sort of reward for working together or helping other players would be nice. Nothing I can think of that wouldn't break the game though. Maybe some sort of karma system, not sure how that would work out though.

Some sort of reward for working together or helping other players would be nice. Nothing I can think of that wouldn't break the game though. Maybe some sort of karma system, not sure how that would work out though.

Working together is its own reward. The only danger to a group of fifteen well armed survivors is poor communication or poor morale leading to fragging.

I think the allowance for PvP is what has caused this mod to skyrocket in popularity. It's the *only* persistent game that has told PvE players to go play another game if they can't handle bandits (which is a brave stance considering the mass of PvE players out there).

I think if we create content for PvE players, we will keep the type we want. People who enjoy the thrill of bandits, but prefer not to be bandits themselves (similar to people who play EVE to trade goods instead of blow up other ships). Maybe let players craft components, and out of components finished goods. Let players defend a plot of land (incoming with base building?), and create their own laws; admit strangers or keep the area for yourself.

GROW food on land assuming you can shuttle the water required. Develop contacts with other player camps and trade goods for various parties who trust you but not each other (or just try to defend a trade city and let players meet up and trade for themselves -- probably not as feasible since strangers could just molest my backpack).

Let players "lock" their packs when near strangers, holster their weapons when in player cities, etc.

But DON'T kill the thing that is lifting this mod to 1 million+ players. Sandbox PvP.

Welcome to Dayz (I mean that in the best way, stick around - the only way to go from here is up!)

Unfortunately, as there is currently no downside at all to shooting everyone you see, most players are either products of John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory (http://art.penny-arc...8_8pSZr-L-2.jpg) crossed with "Kid-with-a-magnifying-glass-and-an-anthill-on-a-sunny-day syndrome" or are victims of such people that have been forced to change their playstyle dramatically in order to get anywhere in this mod.

Your best bet is play with friends you know from RL and get far away from the coast/cities pronto.

Good luck!

I typed in to chat "Whoever's in there, can you help me because I have a broken leg.". The mystery shooter came outside, took one look at me, and shot me.

Well he did help you out of your misery... jk :)

You shouldn't bother going into Cherno and Elektro, those are pvp / dm hopspots. Inland and up north along the coastline is much safer.

It is unfortunate how these things happen all the time now.

My first night: I shadowed two players outside Cherno. After asking a few times in side chat if they were friendly with no response, I went inside a small shed to loot and closed the door. When I opened it, they were both sitting there pointing their makarovs at me( when we spawned with them) and asked me if I wanted to join them in Cherno. After getting some nice loot, getting lost a few times, and getting down to 2k blood, I told them I was just going to respawn. They told me to hide in the church while they went to get me a blood bag. They risked all their gear just to patch me up and after that we all headed our separate ways to log off for the night. It was a great experience and for the longest time, I never shot on sight because of it.

These kinds of experiences can make or break our ideas of how we should play.

Edited by Dev

Haha,

I think that was me that shot you. I wasnt trying to be an ass, anyone that has played more than a week will tell you, "Dont trust anyone". When I first started playing I had a guy run around with me for an hour then shoot me in the back after I helped him get a rifle and a compass. I got pissed but I learned my lesson. I thought about using my hatchet on you to save ammo but I figured soon as i switched to it you would pull a gun.

Better get used to being shot at...

You've got the pleasure of having someone disconnect, server hop, reconnect and shoot you from behind yet to come....

Server reconnect within 5 minutes should have a 10 minute 'waiting to create' penalty imho.

There are a lot of people out there who have to 'win' at any cost, those that are unwilling to play within the spirit and confines of the game may as well just be hacking.

I don't shoot unarmed player's, Only douche bags do that, But as soon as you pick up a gun your done.

Today is my second day of DayZ. So far I have mixed feelings about it. Anyways, today i was in Cherno, trying to get some supplies, but i fell and broke my leg. I stopped the bleeding and everything and started to crawl towards some gun fire I heard, hoping someone would show a little kindness to someone with literally no weapons, a few items and a broken left leg. I found the shots coming from a small warehouse. A man was inside firing an M1911. I typed in to chat "Whoever's in there, can you help me because I have a broken leg.". The mystery shooter came outside, took one look at me, and shot me. I don't understand. I posed absolutely zero threat to him, had little to no supplies on me, and yet he still murdered me, in cold blood. If I was in his position, I would help the person out. Is everyone in the game like this? I certainly hope not, seeing as how I'd like this game to be fun, not full of assholes, like cod players. I've heard these players are called "bandits". But everyone I've came across in my journey has been a complete douche or has ignored me.

He helped you , your like a horse, broken leg = death

My idea still stands as untested, but reasonable in my opinion. Whiskey bottles everywhere, right? Ever see one that had whiskey in it? No, I know I haven't. I would suggest adding whiskey to the game. It also allows you to create molotov cocktails. It can get your drunk if you consume it for giggles. It can also be used for banditry. Add a mechanic that gives players the shakes after more than three murders. For reference, I've killed two people in six weeks. So the self defense excuse doesn't really work. Three murders in a 24 hour period should be enough, and if you don't kill someone in 24 hours, your count is reduced. Upon three murders, you get the shakes of guilt. You need to dip into the whiskey bottle to calm your nerves and refocus. It does nothing to stop senseless killing. All it does it requires something for that play style. Instead of just needing food and drink, you also need alcohol to be effective. Is that not a reasonable compromise? The only advantage survivors have is not needing to carry around whiskey, unless used as a grenade. It also gives survivors the decision to actually carry it around. Wouldn't it be ironic if a murderer didn't have any, killed the survivor and looted the whiskey to get back to a normal status?

I like this idea a lot, if you kill too many players in a short amount of time it takes an emotional toll on you and your character can behave very weirdly accordingly. Like as suggested shakes, maybe even every now and then your player starts crying which means other players and zeds could here you. You're player would not actually have to cry but just have the sound enabled. Also maybe vomiting, or something. You character starts vomiting randomly (similar to passing out) where you cannot do anything for a few moments and you become instantly more hungry and dehydrated. You could drink alcohol or take anti depressants to fix the shakes and the crying, drinking too much alcohol could make you drunk making your character a lot louder and easier to see and the screen becomes blurry and you could also pass out and drinking does not cure it properly only delays it for 24 hours. To cure it you would have to go so many days without killing or take anti depressants. Anti depressants would have no side affects but would be very hard to find. As for the vomiting maybe there could be a medicine to stop that. The more you kill the worse it gets.

Rocket should definitely take this idea into consideration as I think having consequences like this would make people think whether or not it is worth killing people.

Edited by chewsta
  • Like 1

I gotta say, I met a guy named "Wood" on a US server the other day, and he helped me out. I had nothing, and he gave me a Makarov, some ammo, and a knife, plus a can of Pepsi and a can of pasta. If I ever see Wood again, I'll shake his hand and not shoot him in the face. That's the way I play, and in 5 days/40 hours of playing, I've yet to kill another player. I guess most people who play this game are just paranoid, sociopathic douchenuggets.

No worries, if you keep playing this will happen plenty of times until you pull the trigger :P

Tried after a fresh spawn to run close to a big city having someone shoot me from behind in my legs with a silencer, I feel and after I bandaged myself after typing in the chat, "Oh dude, come on - Is this really nessercary" I hadnt looted anything since i spawned. I sat up and looked at him while the tard executed me like it was ww2 or something :S

Yeh unfortunately it is all that, the thing is, at the start it was all new, and things were "scares", zombies were kind of a threat because couldnt really loose them.

Now zombies are no threat at all, lost easy and mean nothing, just run through a city n loose them n loot in process. And after you've geared up several thousand times people think "will kill a geared guy and take his stuff". Even if you had nothing they dont really know that at first glance, could be tricking them, could be bait, etc. After you've been back-stabbed plenty-o-times you become a little less "caring" to the "unknown internet guy".

Just how it is these days, people gear up, then kill others. What I find funny is, a lot of regular streamers i see often "protest" so when they get sniped with pretty much nothing or messed up, they go find an axis then try sneak around the guy who killed them, a lot of times they kill the guy and so the guy with as50 and machine guns and nvgs and all sorts ends up dying to a hatchet haha i find it ironic XD