donp

DayZ Update 1.5.2

It seems this update has broken the servers -- the US ones at least. I don't understand why you guys are rolling out these game-breaking updates without extensively testing them on a single server. That being said, when this game works it is incredible.

~Derranged

Don't do that shit.

And why might I ask? Aren't I allowed to have free speech or are you a tight ass politic? I am allowed to put that after ever single one of my comments because there is nothing wrong with it' date=' if you have a problem with it please lodge a complaint to the Government because they are the only people who can help you with your problem.

~Derranged

[/quote']

It makes you look stupid and pretentious.

We know who's posting you don't need to put shit at the end.

~Derranged

Don't do that shit.

And why might I ask? Aren't I allowed to have free speech or are you a tight ass politic? I am allowed to put that after ever single one of my comments because there is nothing wrong with it' date=' if you have a problem with it please lodge a complaint to the Government because they are the only people who can help you with your problem.

~Derranged

[/quote']

It makes you look stupid and pretentious.

We know who's posting you don't need to put shit at the end.

Come on guys, let's keep it civilized shall we?

He can put his name there if he wants, he's not hurting anyone. Lets keep on topic :)

It seems this update has broken the servers -- the US ones at least. I don't understand why you guys are rolling out these game-breaking updates without extensively testing them on a single server. That being said' date=' when this game works it is incredible.

[/quote']

The problem is you are calling it a GAME when it is a MOD in alpha, everyone playing it is basically helping to debug it as a lot of the problems actually stem from the high player count and server load...

on topic, nice work, seems a lot more stable now to me

The problem is you are calling it a GAME when it is a MOD in alpha' date=' everyone playing it is basically helping to debug it as a lot of the problems actually stem from the high player count and server load...

[/quote']

I'm aware it is a mod in alpha. I've seen someone suggest before that maybe they should roll out new updates in a testing server. If the problems are arising from some anomaly produced by every server being updated, roll back the servers to the last stable version. This is as valid a complaint as zombies porting through doors.

The problem is you are calling it a GAME when it is a MOD in alpha' date=' everyone playing it is basically helping to debug it as a lot of the problems actually stem from the high player count and server load...

[/quote']

I'm aware it is a mod in alpha. I've seen someone suggest before that maybe they should roll out new updates in a testing server. If the problems are arising from some anomaly produced by every server being updated, roll back the servers to the last stable version. This is as valid a complaint as zombies porting through doors.

To be honest, I don't think they have to set up a testing server because it's still in alpha. That being said, there's like an update everyday so if it doesn't really work today it's probably gonna get fixed tomorrow.

It seems this update has broken the servers -- the US ones at least

Getting things back on-topic, I have the same problem. Can't load into any of the US servers (other servers all full so I can't try.) Seems to be common, is the main database down or something?

Edit: Managed to connect to EU3 and get into the game, so it's only a problem with the US servers.

I do not think any of us would be here posting such emotional threads if we didn't see a vast potential for an amazing video game. What audacity what daring what outragesness to even attempt to make a game like this. I think we can all agree that if we did not have high hopes for MOAR none of us would have even bothered to register on the forums.

I for one welcome the new zombie overlords.

The issue with the ARMA2 engine is that under load it can GLITCH scripting code, the dev(s) will need to put in a few safety nets every step of the way to police the code along when this script-glitching happens. Get 100 people on a server and watch the code glitch out.. errors happen, it all comes down to how well the server handles it and also the netcode.

I would recommend a i7@5ghz for this type of game (server side) but likely people are trying to get it running on 3ghz rack machines etc... ARMA2 is not very multicore friendly btw.. Maybe ARMA3 will fix that.

Any info on the persistence of vehicles? It is really annoying to spend hours trying to fix one up just to have it disappear on server restart.

The issue with the ARMA2 engine is that under load it can GLITCH scripting code' date=' the dev(s) will need to put in a few safety nets every step of the way to police the code along when this script-glitching happens. Get 100 people on a server and watch the code glitch out.. errors happen, it all comes down to how well the server handles it and also the netcode.

I would recommend a i7@5ghz for this type of game (server side) but likely people are trying to get it running on 3ghz rack machines etc... ARMA2 is not very multicore friendly btw.. Maybe ARMA3 will fix that.

[/quote']

First part is quite true, not the machine part though. Well to some point yes, its because its running on Windows DS which takes away breath to hard core machines. Nothing wrong with i5/i7/(older) Xeon based servers if you run them with linux. You can run what you want on them.

Truth is that there is way too much Z which are taking too much processing power for nothing. 500 AI plus 50 players is quite tiresome even for most powerful servers. And if those servers are on Windows and need to run some sync application and huge MySQL databases it gets even worse. Some admin say its even hungry way too much on bandwidth eating up loads of GB per week. That is not good, and needs to be looked at.

I urge to all admins not to start to much servers on their machines cause you will not get anywhere by doing it. If you overload your machine all your servers will suffer and have low FPS, they will glitch the script and what then? While you were trying to help and host more servers you did quite opposite and screwed up your other 1 or 2 servers which makes around 100 people unhappy with server performance.

ARMA2 is shocking multi threading. If all workload was spread evenly across all cores there is no reason why it can't handle 1000 zombies. Also it seems zombies are being run on players PC so the load it taken off a fair bit for processing AI.

Run a 50 player server, watch the process task for each core...

ARMA2 is shocking multi threading. If all workload was spread evenly across all cores there is no reason why it can't handle 1000 zombies. Also it seems zombies are being run on players PC so the load it taken off a fair bit for processing AI.

Run a 50 player server' date=' watch the process task for each core...

[/quote']

Mh..Im yet to see any game server that is working nice with multicore sytems. I kinda doubt that AI is being run on players PC. Script is spawning it on server and I dont see a mechanism to run it on players PC and sync all that back on server where all players will have the same experience. Now were speculating cant know that for sure.

I have Arma2 CO server now. Load depends on a mission you run. If its coop with lots of AI sure it will cause lot bigger load than any pvp. I know I was watching load spiking across cores, but most of the time it will load on just one of the cores while others remain idle. Still it will swap cores from time to time. At least on linux.

But if you compare the systems you will see what I'm trying to say. Windows based server will eat by himself a lot of RAM, and it will load bunch of useless processes that you dont need. While linux is free of all that bs. Result is more resources dedicated to game servers and other services you run.

I think Rocket mentioned it in the changelog, I can only assume he meant what he said and that is when players disconnect from server THEIR zombies would do nothing at all. I assumed this meant that the player is spawning zombies locally to reduce load on server. This can be done in ARMA2 engine and is why some people will experience smooth AI movement and actions while others witness warping etc...

Lets not let this thread (about patch 1.5.2) turn into a Linux vs Windows thread

Fact: Linux cannot be used as the server executable does not support named pipes

Fact: The SQL database is neither Huge, nor demanding. Databases are designed to handle much, much more than DayZ could ever throw at them.

Fact: The sync application is a 75kb executable, and uses very little bandwidth and virtually no CPU

Yall just got wreaked lol, i find it funny that i just had a class today that focused on linking programs to databases....my fingers hurt, class started at 8 in the morning and ended at 5. i know i know its a tough life. feel free to throw money at me to pay for some girls to come round and massage my poor fingers.