Sign in to follow this  
reuben5150

After 220 hours- here are my suggestions for dev ASAP

Because Dayz got boring, its now all about gear and PVP, wasn't this meant to be about survival ?

1: Removal of bandit skin resulted in possibly irreversible damage, the heartbeat should been in sooner, one of the most intense and exciting parts of this mod was meeting unknown players and not knowing how they would react, all that has gone, needs something more, where is humanity ?

2: Vehicles - the shortest amount of time we "owned" a vehicle was about 15 minutes before the hackers came,.... and as with camps the vehicles are never safe unless guarded 24/7, vehicles need "keys" and need the ability to fire weapons from inside the vehicle also.

3: Camps - waste of time unless guarded at all times, easier to find and loot camps than risk going into towns, need more defences such as razor wire, claymores or IED's, tripwires, alarms etc.

4: New item - IED (improvised explosive device), consists of 3 parts which must be found in order to build, explosive, detonator and sensor(?) or tripwire.

4: Weapon nerfing - i understand that some of the weapons may have needed a tweek but not a total nerf fest, most of these weapons will now be completely useless against players, need to increase zombie health instead of such big changes in weapon damage.

5: The L85 thermal scope - i am absolutely against this, should not need to explain why, but if this thing has to stay then simulate low battery level with flickering on the scope or give the scope limited "life", this is one weapon that really does need a nerf, just replace with ACOG version best solution.

6: Zombies - still too easy in some respects, what is the definition of a zombie ?, of course we refer to the movies, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie

I assume that the zombie is pretty much brain-dead with only basic functions available and no sense of pain, therefore i would suggest the following-

As a starting point zombie health increased to equal the player, (requires more body shots) but one headshot from any weapon will put him down, in order for this to work running speed must be slowed down 20% as starting point, the fast movers are too fast.

Should zombies be able to climb ladders (?)

Seeing distance too great and camo/ghillie suit should reduce your visibility by 30% +/-

Zombies too easy to lose, run though a building and they are gone, lets have some indoor action like before and above all make the zed's a real threat.

Zombie attack distance seems too great, in other words its like their arms are 3 or 4 meters long, reduce the attack distance so it actually feels like being hit rather than some invisible force.

7: Food and water - as a starting point reduce spawns by 20% water and 30 % for food.

8: Hi-end weaponry/ rarity - all dayz needs IMO is a set of "nice" weapons available to those who are willing to travel a bit, do not make these weapons so rare that people resort to hacking and duping which is what has happened, the weapons list needs a revision, is it unreasonable to expect that the top-end sniper rifle is an M40, this isn't ARMA anymore.

9: Night vision - ;) Rocket talks about wanting to create an "atmosphere" at night time, hence the reason for messing with or fixing gamma levels (which BTW had a detrimental effect on daytime visuals) but i don't see a reason why this can't happen, only NVG's detract from this, consider removal of this item.

10: Hacking - i understand the need for a certain level of cheating/hacking/exploiting, but this is out of control, will the removal of SP mode help ?, need to start swinging the ban hammer.

Thats all.

• Like 6

I agree with the majority of these points however:

The enemies are not zombies. They are INFECTED.

I really like Idea 4, I was also thinking of items such as simple wooden beams/spikes that can be collected from trees, carved using the hunting knife and placed in

the ground like those old forts! As it has already been stated COUNTLESS times the weapon nerf was not down to the DayZ staff it was an ARMA 2 update.

The camp issues have already been raised which is why rocket has suggested underground bunkers!

But all in all quite good ideas, most of which i'd like to see however there are some i don't agree with! :]

Edited by deltaforce11
  • Like 1

I honestly disagree with most of everything youve said to be honest. You talk about a topic, then look at it completely the wrong way. 'Let's make good weapons rarity more common' Are you kidding me? 'Should zombies be able to climb ladders', 'Zombies to easy to lose', 'Zombies to easy'. First you complain about something being this and that, and pretty much just contradict what you say later on. The game for the most part is balanced in terms of regular gameplay, when Bohemia makes an update to the actual game it can affect DayZ, meaning it isn't rockets fault. camps aren't a waste either, it's something you get for having teamwork, or hard work for that matter. It's just how the game works, although in terms of how long cars last or what should be done with hacking/exploiting is pretty open for discussion.

I know it's just suggestions but even so, it would be nice if you had a REAL explanation on how it could be fixed, otherwise everyone knows that camps are difficult to have, that guns or weapons might be unbalanced, etc. and solutions are being looked for.

Edited by Suecra

Because Dayz got boring, its now all about gear and PVP, wasn't this meant to be about survival ?

1: Removal of bandit skin resulted in possibly irreversible damage, the heartbeat should been in sooner, one of the most intense and exciting parts of this mod was meeting unknown players and not knowing how they would react, all that has gone, needs something more, where is humanity ?

2: Vehicles - the shortest amount of time we "owned" a vehicle was about 15 minutes before the hackers came,.... and as with camps the vehicles are never safe unless guarded 24/7, vehicles need "keys" and need the ability to fire weapons from inside the vehicle also.

3: Camps - waste of time unless guarded at all times, easier to find and loot camps than risk going into towns, need more defences such as razor wire, claymores or IED's, tripwires, alarms etc.

4: New item - IED (improvised explosive device), consists of 3 parts which must be found in order to build, explosive, detonator and sensor(?) or tripwire.

4: Weapon nerfing - i understand that some of the weapons may have needed a tweek but not a total nerf fest, most of these weapons will now be completely useless against players, need to increase zombie health instead of such big changes in weapon damage.

5: The L85 thermal scope - i am absolutely against this, should not need to explain why, but if this thing has to stay then simulate low battery level with flickering on the scope or give the scope limited "life", this is one weapon that really does need a nerf, just replace with ACOG version best solution.

6: Zombies - still too easy in some respects, what is the definition of a zombie ?, of course we refer to the movies, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie

I assume that the zombie is pretty much brain-dead with only basic functions available and no sense of pain, therefore i would suggest the following-

As a starting point zombie health increased to equal the player, (requires more body shots) but one headshot from any weapon will put him down, in order for this to work running speed must be slowed down 20% as starting point, the fast movers are too fast.

Should zombies be able to climb ladders (?)

Seeing distance too great and camo/ghillie suit should reduce your visibility by 30% +/-

Zombies too easy to lose, run though a building and they are gone, lets have some indoor action like before and above all make the zed's a real threat.

Zombie attack distance seems too great, in other words its like their arms are 3 or 4 meters long, reduce the attack distance so it actually feels like being hit rather than some invisible force.

7: Food and water - as a starting point reduce spawns by 20% water and 30 % for food.

8: Hi-end weaponry/ rarity - all dayz needs IMO is a set of "nice" weapons available to those who are willing to travel a bit, do not make these weapons so rare that people resort to hacking and duping which is what has happened, the weapons list needs a revision, is it unreasonable to expect that the top-end sniper rifle is an M40, this isn't ARMA anymore.

9: Night vision - ;) Rocket talks about wanting to create an "atmosphere" at night time, hence the reason for messing with or fixing gamma levels (which BTW had a detrimental effect on daytime visuals) but i don't see a reason why this can't happen, only NVG's detract from this, consider removal of this item.

10: Hacking - i understand the need for a certain level of cheating/hacking/exploiting, but this is out of control, will the removal of SP mode help ?, need to start swinging the ban hammer.

Thats all.

1: This is only my opinion but it's entirely a player behavior issue, the mod sort of capitalise on letting us decide what is apropriate or not.

2: Firing weapons from inside vehicles has been a feature request on arma2 and OA for quite a while, i'm not sure what BIS is waiting for, considering it's implemented in their military version of the game. As for keys? then you need indestructible vehicles because other players will destroy what they can't use.

3:I could see some improvements done there but it shouldn't make it a sort of inner sanctum, if you're leaving your camp unguarded for 24 hours, someone should be able to break in. Also building such a camp should take at least as long as it would take to undo it.

4: Kinda like a satchel basically?

5: I agree thermal scopes are a bit... meh. I could see thermal binoculars though, let you spot players, but you can't see much else or aim through it.

6: A zombie movie setting would need a hundred time more zombies, including large wandering hordes going toward the biggest noise on the map. But no game out there can handle this many entities i believe.

7: ok

8: The problem isn't that they aren't rare enough, it's that they never get destroyed, a good rifle is either picked from your buddy by your killer, or by a good friend. everyone ditch winchesters and lees left and right, but no one will ditch an L85.

9: Huh?

10: This is going to be an uphill battle, the Arma engine distribute "work" to the clients in order to lessen the load on the server, not sure how this will affect it.

And people should stop assuming DayZ will ever gets out of the "mod" status, that's giving yourself false hopes, for now all that exists is there, and it's a mod, what it becomes in the future is pure speculation.

Mostly, I disagree. Zombies are not too easy. As it is now, you need double the ammo as in the patch 1.7.2.3. Ok, it's not rockets fault, but this should be fixed ASAP.

A few things, First the nerfing of some of the weapons was from a ARMA 2 update NOT a DayZ update. Second a lot of your ideas remove risk from the game if one could just log out of the game with they keys to there car/truck. Also the L85 is balanced the gun is teribad at close combat as well as its hard to get because it only spawns at crashed helicopters. The new items for base defense would be used to grief players in citys like cherno or electro by placing them in fire stations.

First of, why ASAP?

Second of, a bit confusing with contradicting ideas.

I agree with nr. 5, but I really disagree with nr. 8 and nr. 2. If anything there high-end gear should be more rare, and keys would make it even harder to get a vehicle.

EDIT: I forgot. Answers to some of your questions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BlHvh0JVuk&hd=1

Edited by CLewis

"generic" keys, eg, keys for car, keys for truck etc, i didn't say there would be only one set.

"generic" keys, eg, keys for car, keys for truck etc, i didn't say there would be only one set.

Then what's the point of having them?

As it has already been stated COUNTLESS times the weapon nerf was not down to the DayZ staff it was an ARMA 2 update.

Regardless, zombies health should be on par with player, since as i assume they don't feel pain why not even greater ?

Edited by Mutagen_7B4
  • Like 1

Then what's the point of having them?

You would have to find god dam keys if you wanted to steal my truck !!!

kind of agree with much of what the OP says. keys for vehicles is a no no though.

I'd like to see less scoped rifles and more aging soviet weaponry please.

CZ550 should be only sniper ingame.

much of the serious military gear should go.

You have very few valid points.

They are infected, not zombies.

The weapon nerf was arma, not dayz. I can agree it makes secondary weapons useless to have.

Any "hacker" that steals your vehicle can spawn keys to said vehicle. If you want to keep it, assign one person to watch it 24/7

Ditto with the camps. You don't really need them, anyhow.

Items are not duped because they are rare, they are duped because they can be. Thermal should go, though.

NVG's are the only reason any night servers have any population whatsoever.

The weapon nerf was arma, not dayz. I can agree it makes secondary weapons useless to have.

Any "hacker" that steals your vehicle can spawn keys to said vehicle. If you want to keep it, assign one person to watch it 24/7

Items are not duped because they are rare, they are duped because they can be. Thermal should go, though.

id play night if the NVG wasnt in the game. it takes the horror out of survival horror during the night hours. no risk and all the reward.

• Like 1

the very first sentence you said i agree to the most and im glad more people feel that way. I keep getting flamed in posts and comments about how the game is to hard and the game is just fine how it is. There is no survival what so ever. My main focus when i spawn is weapons, weapons, weapons, maybe ill pick up some food and water on the way. I feel this game is just a big deathmatch with zombies in the mix and there happens to be a food and health value. This is not survival in its current state. I am experienced like you, played a long time, and got the best weaponry you can find in the game but after that i realized what am i supposed to do now? I got an as50 and l85 thermal in a few hours. Not one second did i ever worry about zombies, food, or water. for f sake rocket make this game about survival.

• Like 2

Front page right there see the word zombie ?

I know now the weapon nerf was down to the patch, there is no need to keep repeating what already been stated.

Hacking needs to be delt with and the request for vehicle keys is completely valid.

Of course item are hacked for their rarity, lame ass hackers won't spend the amount of time required to get these items the legit way, which can be many hours if you are looking for a specific item or weapon .

Can't play without nvg's lol, pathetic.

• Like 1

A claymore mine would be sooo exceptional awesome.

Of course such a device needs to be as rare 0.38% (equals to spawn rate of big coyote backpack) or even less like 0.19% (equals to spawn rate of GPS) in military loot areas. Everything else is already implemented in Arma2 http://www.armaholic...age.php?id=2624

Adding claymore mines would make looting camps a very risky task

+1

Edited by KlausB

I haven't logged anywhere near 200 hours and I can already see the things you talk about, OP, plus more.

I have to agree here, on pretty much everything. Weapon rarity is another semantic I won't go in to, but balance issues aside I have to agree with 99% of your point.

~Sol

• Like 1

4: Kinda like a satchel basically?

Like a home made claymore, 3 components - explosives, detonator and pressure plate or trip wire, you would have to find the 3 parts to build it.

Second of, a bit confusing with contradicting ideas.

Then maybe i should edit the post with explainations, it all has meaning and purpose.