gambles

Into the mind of a bandit.

I just recently started playing DayZ this past week or so, and so far I really love it. I understood that people would kill you for there survival, I thought that most people who killed did so out of necessity or for fear of there own life.

The past couple nights I have been joining with other groups of people to for protection and a change. I started noticing a pattern in the way people behave that lets you know who you can trust, talking on teamspeak and vent, watching how they behave in a group atmosphere and how they go about surviving.

I found a lot of the (survivors) who were more prone to killing people without any reason are generally younger than those who are just trying to survive. For instance I was in a group with 5-6 other guys, we all had fairly high end rifles, food, water, blood bags, really decked out. For the most part we were alone on the server then another person joined, we seen him repeatedly dieing in the left hand corner for a bit.

Now he was of no danger to us this was clear, especially in our group. But the two younger's of us kept spouting out that we should go and kill him, or find some other people and take them out since we had a big group, I found this strange because the people that were on the server were of no harm to us, atleast in our large group. But they brought it up again and again until I had enough and just split my way from the group with my IRL friend.

We came across two of the guys we had been playing with about an hour later and I guess the other younger guys split off from them. We talked about what we had did since and then parted ways.

We then ran into the two younger survivors at a fire hall, we came close enough to greet them and talk about how they were fairing. As we were leaving they shot me in the back, phil got away into the forest.

We couldn't believe the guys we were just partying with a few short hours earlier would reel us into like that, not for survival or out of fear for there life but just to kill us, they had better packs and better rifles, and they didn't ask for food or ammo which we would have gladly shared with them as we did earlier.

So now we are pretty cautious of everyone, even those we are grouped in teamspeak with as some people just like to murder you I guess.

Love this game though. Hit me up if you would like to play together, always looking for a trustworthy survivor :)

Edited by Gambles
  • Like 10

If you don't know them in real life, know this: previous good behavior does not in any way dictate future behavior.

No one here is your friend, they are strangers who may, and often times will, kill you for fun - if not for the off chance you may have something useful.

• Like 2

you got my beans mate,

thats dayZ ...

Gambles, where are you from ? Need another trustworthy survivor, too :)

The only time I generally shoot people in the game is if I'm alone, and see a heavily armed player, if I'm shot at first, or saw someone shoot another player. Other than that avoiding others is the best thing. If we were traveling for a bit together though I wouldn't shoot you :)

you got my beans mate,

thats dayZ ...

Gambles, where are you from ? Need another trustworthy survivor, too :)

I'm from Atlantic Canada, I recently had a triple fusion on my foot so I have about another 2-3 months of being laid up so I game all hours of the night and day haha.

I wouldnt have let you say hi to me. I'm not young either.

I kill if someone has something I want.

I kill if someone is looting an area I'm there to loot (I dont want their leavings)

I kill because I think your presence threatens mine or my friends.

Sometimes I just kill cause I'm bored.

I wont greet and talk to someone then kill them, thats just dishonest. I will however allow my friends to pick up players along the way, but I never do the greeting and rarely do much talking other than what needs to be said to survive. The reason is I dont trust anyone.

This all changes if you come on my clans teamspeak though. I find it easier to trust people when they come on real voice coms for some reason. Catch 22 is you would have to meet and team up with one of the guys before they gave you the teamspeak info to get on the server.

This is how one bandit's mind works.

hehe, great

of course not for you foot ..

im from europe, so maybe we got problems with the servers

but if you want we can try to find a suitable server for the both of us tomorrow !

I play alone, I do this because the only person I can trust in this game is myself.

Picture this scenario.. Your in a 3 man group raiding the NW Airfield, looking for awesome spoils.. You all separate to go to the various loot spots.. Barracks and such.. You find an SVD camo and your supposed group mates have found nothing but ammo for guns they don't even have.. you meet back up and they are like WOW nothing but shit, then you say Hey guys look what I found!

They might have a think for a second or two about how lucky you have been, then them thoughts start to turn to jealousy.. its at that point your chances of living within the group have just gone down by 90%.

You either..

A ) Get shot by one of them because they want what you have.

B )Hope that you have found a group that no matter what WILL NOT under any circumstances kill you.

C ) Get the hell away from the group and go alone.

I know which one I think would happen. Personally, I'd just quietly depart ways from said group and enjoy the gun, rather than risk the famous 'You Are Dead' splashscreen.

Edited by uni-sol

I guess for me. The most valuable thing in this game is friendship, allies.

Which makes me probably a bit too eager to talk before shooting. But it all plays off my character as a person, I cannot shoot on sight because that would make me feel disconnected from the game because that isn't the way I think as a person. I will kill for survival and still feel bad for it, especially if they were carrying rare loot.

It's just who I am, and I think if I was different, or acted different, the game would appeal to me less. I feel somewhat special in the environment because I know there isn't many out there like myself.

• Like 6

I run with 7 IRL friends. Only people I'll trust fully. I will not kill just because. It MUST benefit the group before. I've watched people on one end of the NW Air Field that I could have easily dispatched. But my team was looting the opposite end. Those players never knew we were there. If they had gotten close, I would have dispatched them. I kill to survive, not just because.

Which makes me probably a bit too eager to talk before shooting. But it all plays off my character as a person, I cannot shoot on sight because that would make me feel disconnected from the game because that isn't the way I think as a person. I will kill for survival and still feel bad for it, especially if they were carrying rare loot.

It's just who I am, and I think if I was different, or acted different, the game would appeal to me less. I feel somewhat special in the environment because I know there isn't many out there like myself.

When you first start playing we all feel like that, the game makes you feel like you need allies to survive. I admire that your not one who ever wants to turn to banditry, but honestly.. if it ever comes down to your life or theirs which would you choose?

After a while the term Bandit starts to turn into Murderer, everyone ends up being one. Its just a matter of time.. also when your killed 20+ times by someone just out of the blue, you will start to question whether being a friendly only is really worth it, trust me.

When you first start playing we all feel like that, the game makes you feel like you need allies to survive. I admire that your not one who ever wants to turn to banditry, but honestly.. if it ever comes down to your life or theirs which would you choose?

After a while the term Bandit starts to turn into Murderer, everyone ends up being one. Its just a matter of time.. also when your killed 20+ times by someone just out of the blue, you will start to question whether being a friendly only is really worth it, trust me.

You're absolutely right, I will kill for survival, I know I have to and I will. My friend for instance will opt to kill someone from a distance while I will just stay away if I can, this puts phil and I at odds sometimes but ultimately we work good together, he keeps me inline and I survive longer with him. I keep him from being a murderous dog :P Good Guy Gambles and Big Dirty Dutch, quiet a pair hahaha.

Edited by Gambles

Well I met a guy about a month ago near Cherno...he wasn't armed, so I gave him my revolver. You know what? He didn't shoot me.

We then went to his camp and I was accepted into his group...we've been playing ever since. They've never shot me.

• Like 7

I don't trust anyone I don't know and I assume they will kill me for my gear, so I act first.

If you are armed, you are prepared to take a life and are fair game.

I will not, however, pretend to be your friend and then kill you. My intentions are clear from the start.

Edited by edonovan

sounds like a tale ... but a good one :-)

The only guys i can find are assholes

Yesterday i tried to rescue the life of another survivor, but i think he was to afraid

He was running into the barn i was hiding and dispatching zeds. And he got visitors, nearly 20ZEds in his back

He saw me with my armory and left immediately. I shouted in directComm: Come back in mate, im friendly and there is a lee enfield on the stairs above

He was running back inside while i dispatched one Zed after the other

But this shrinkhead was to afraid to go into my direction, to pickup the Lee Enfield with ammo. I think he thought i will bring him down, too. ridiculous

There were to much zeds to dispatch in the time the survivor could keep the blood in the place it is meant to be placed

he blooded out, i killed around 35Zeds, and he has nothing in his backpack

So, even if you try to help, some ppl are just to afraid because of all those murderer and bandit stories

Bad end for him, great killcount for me ;)

Edited by kettenschutz
  • Like 1

Not everyone, sir. It's just that the civilized path can become too steep for some -- especially in times of great crisis. For others, they will overcome any challenge in order to maintain their integrity and honor. Perhaps that is or is part of the experiment?

Edited by ChandlerL
  • Like 3

Not everyone, sir. It's just that the civilized path can become too steep for some -- especially in times of great crisis. For others, they will overcome any challenge in order to maintain their integrity and honor. Perhaps that is or is part of the experiment?

That's right. Sometimes people choose the high road, even if that means a much more difficult journey, the rewards are just so much sweeter.

Stick with that attitude, man, you've got it right IMO. I play the same way. Of course, you always have to be careful, but you can work with someone for a while without ever fully trusting them, just part ways eventually to avoid the inevitable conflict. Either that or decide that you can trust them. It's the beauty of this game!

• Like 2

PS: I always use DC in these situations. I don't care that it attracts unwanted attention, it's such an amazing feature in DayZ and the only real way to engage someone on a personal level. I hope that they eventually develop it into a more sophisticated feature with different levels of speaking, i.e. whispering, normal speaking voice, and yelling. That would be awesome.

Well said, dude. Act in the game as you would act in real life. Does your humanity go out the window at the first sign of crisis? Of course not. That's exactly how I play. I have compassion, but I am also not an idiot. WATCH any new person you run into carefully, but also hope they act honorably. I've been burned before, of course, but I will still continue to give strangers the benefit of the doubt...while keeping a very close eye on them.

I ran into two players a few days ago. One was actually a girl. I had a hatchet and so did she, but I approached them only to find they were dying of thirst. I had extra cokes and I gave them one each, and they were so grateful it made me feel like a hero. Of course it's just a game, but I find these guys who are willing to kill you on sight for no real reason to be loathsome and of poor character. It makes me wonder how they are in real life. I like to be thought of as a hero, not the scum from Walking Dead...

• Like 5

Well said, dude. Act in the game as you would act in real life. Does your humanity go out the window at the first sign of crisis? Of course not. That's exactly how I play. I have compassion, but I am also not an idiot. WATCH any new person you run into carefully, but also hope they act honorably. I've been burned before, of course, but I will still continue to give strangers the benefit of the doubt...while keeping a very close eye on them.

I ran into two players a few days ago. One was actually a girl. I had a hatchet and so did she, but I approached them only to find they were dying of thirst. I had extra cokes and I gave them one each, and they were so grateful it made me feel like a hero. Of course it's just a game, but I find these guys who are willing to kill you on sight for no real reason to be loathsome and of poor character. It makes me wonder how they are in real life. I like to be thought of as a hero, not the scum from Walking Dead...

Unfortunately we are few and far between. A lot of people just can't comprehend the idea of putting yourself into the game environment and really acting the way you would in a survival situation. Which for me, is just the most awesome way to play this game. Guess the phat lootz will always reign supreme ;) haha here's to us, the few honorable!

Unfortunately we are few and far between. A lot of people just can't comprehend the idea of putting yourself into the game environment and really acting the way you would in a survival situation. Which for me, is just the most awesome way to play this game. Guess the phat lootz will always reign supreme ;) haha here's to us, the few honorable!

Agreed....to us, NEON KNIGHTS!! :P