Sign in to follow this  
grandclerical

Some people are real dicks

Was just playing and was heading for a deer stand near a town when omg no! Shots rang out and I copped a couple hits as I scramble up the tower to try for safety.

I go prone as soon as I can as soon as possible as bullets impact the tower. Strapping myself with a bandage I type friendly, unarmed into chat. Shots continue to rain into the side of the tower.

The only weapon I had that he would have seen is my hatchet, I had an Winchester in my pack but hadn't been fortunate to find any ammo. I hunkered down into the corner of the deer stand as he strode around the tower trying to get a hit on me.

At this stage I reach over to my bed head and remove my headset that is slung over the bar, quickly I plugged it in and put it on. I hold down the button to communicate. "Friendly cease fire, I only have a hatchet no weaponry other than that (he should have seen that as I ran for/climbed the tower)

My call out was in vain as more bullet's hailed against the side of the tower, by this stage I hoped I was frustrating him at the amount of ammo being required. "friendly, friendly, cease fire I will share some goods with you in swap for my life" I paused then unsure what he might want. "I have a water bottle I can share and possibly some food, I'm friendly cease fire"

After that he got the inevitable head shot on me, finishing me for the first death by player i've experienced since I started playing (not long mind you)

Is this thread a complaint? Absolutely not.

Do I love the fact that this game just installed genuine panic and fear within me while I cowered for my life, unarmed and backed into a corner. Absolutely.

This game doesn't have to go the path of a cheap scare or fear instalment by way of things jumping out or suddenly running screaming at you like other zombie games.

Immerse yourself in the games universe and you will fear for the life of your character at the hands of these such "people" just looking to survive in this wasteland.

Loving the game but all I have to say right now is, Boy, some people sure are dicks.

I apologise for any terrible spelling and bad grammar or post structure, I just wanted to share and words are not my strength.

Good luck surviving, if I meet you on my travels then I look forward to speaking with you before I decide if your a threat or not.

Grandclerical

• Like 13

I've recently killed two well armed bandits with a hatchet. One was camping like a little bitch in the Balotta air tower with a shotgun. The funny part was that he was prone and was basically waiting for me to come up the stairs, more than ready. Chopped that one up to little bits, I did

• Like 2

Haha an excellent outcome, unfortunately I was very cornered and under fire :(

Such is the reality for a great deal of players. They'd much prefer attack a weaponless survivor than anyone that's even mildly threatening for the enjoyment of a murder. I understand the necessity of it in an anonymous online game, but it can be frustrating. Find friends and team up. It's the best way to avoid this. Good luck!

Karma catches up in some way or another.

• Like 2

I don't really distinguish between armed and unarmed players unless they happen to charm me very quickly lol

An unarmed player could very well be an armed one 50 yards after he runs by you... and at that point he's excited to try his new gun. I prefer to kill them, at least that way I know exactly what they're up to :]

I don't really distinguish between armed and unarmed players unless they happen to charm me very quickly lol

An unarmed player could very well be an armed one 50 yards after he runs by you... and at that point he's excited to try his new gun. I prefer to kill them, at least that way I know exactly what they're up to :]

I wish I was able to raise communication with this player, would have liked someone to spend time with in game like the very nice Aussie bloke that my friend and I came across the other night and had good adventures with.

Win some, you lose some I guess.

If I see a player running through the town who is visually unarmed I just leave them be, now if their carrying an AK or an M4 then they are considered a threat in my opinion.

• Like 1

As would I, possibly even try to make a friend to hang out with for a bit.

I think part of the reason bandits are some prominent is that the pros to being a bandit out weigh those of being a friendly. Just last night I had my first "dick move" moment. My friend and I are scavenging elektro at night, and I throw a chemlight in front of the church to quickly check for zambambos or other players. Suddenly in the chat "I am friendly, don't speak much english, in the church" My friend and I quickly run into the church and find what seems to be an un armed survivor who keeps saying not too shoot him in the chat. Suddenly he goes into his gear. Fearing the worst (that he would pull a gun out of his czech backpack) I dropped him. Did i fefel like a dick after checking his body for guns? Absolutely. But in this game you really can't trust anyone, and the pros that came out of the situation were that I got some basic gear. The pros to being friendly? probably nothing. I'd continue to worry that he was going to shoot me, and have to split any loot we found. At least with a real life friend I know he isn't going to shoot me, but sadly when people are just pixels on the screen, it's easier to betray or be betrayed yourself.

You had a hachet meaning you where armed and i would have killed you also , i have been told ( prolly half the folk who play also )in chat friendly and then had guys start wacking me with a hachet also for all this guy was to know you get a gun in that deer stand and next time you see him you kill him imo your the dick here for even making this thread .

You had a hachet meaning you where armed and i would have killed you also , i have been told ( prolly half the folk who play also )in chat friendly and then had guys start wacking me with a hachet also for all this guy was to know you get a gun in that deer stand and next time you see him you kill him imo your the dick here for even making this thread .

Understandable that you think that way. You only think I am a dick for making this thread because you have come across people that have violated your trust. I was simply trying to be truthful with the person. Had it been me that you had trusted with a hatchet, you would have had someone fun to spend time with in game. I told him I had an axe and was unarmed other wise. I don't believe that I am the dick here just because you have had a bad experience/disagree with me. While I agree with you that I was technically armed with the axe, I informed him that I had it.

Ease up turbo.

• Like 5

Well your the one making threads on forums calling folk dicks , all i would say is this is pretty much what is gona happen, agreed its a bit shitty but thats this game folk will kill you even if you didnt have a hachet folk will kill you at spawn i do hope it doesnt put you off playing but i would say unless you actually know the other player is friendly expect him not to be :)

Well your the one making threads on forums calling folk dicks , all i would say is this is pretty much what is gona happen, agreed its a bit shitty but thats this game folk will kill you even if you didnt have a hachet folk will kill you at spawn i do hope it doesnt put you off playing but i would say unless you actually know the other player is friendly expect him not to be :)

In no way has it put me off playing, I understand from your and the player who killed me's point of view and I'm just saying that I did my best to communicate with this person, as I would do with you.

Maybe if he had made an attempt to communicate with me through text/voice while I was backed into a corner then it would have turned out differently/more fun for the both of us.

I only hope that you haven't been so scorned by people within this game that you still wouldn't even try that small basic amount of effort to communicate with someone backed into a corner.

I think part of the reason bandits are some prominent is that the pros to being a bandit out weigh those of being a friendly. Just last night I had my first "dick move" moment. My friend and I are scavenging elektro at night, and I throw a chemlight in front of the church to quickly check for zambambos or other players. Suddenly in the chat "I am friendly, don't speak much english, in the church" My friend and I quickly run into the church and find what seems to be an un armed survivor who keeps saying not too shoot him in the chat. Suddenly he goes into his gear. Fearing the worst (that he would pull a gun out of his czech backpack) I dropped him. Did i fefel like a dick after checking his body for guns? Absolutely. But in this game you really can't trust anyone, and the pros that came out of the situation were that I got some basic gear. The pros to being friendly? probably nothing. I'd continue to worry that he was going to shoot me, and have to split any loot we found. At least with a real life friend I know he isn't going to shoot me, but sadly when people are just pixels on the screen, it's easier to betray or be betrayed yourself.

In your situation then your movements were justified, had he not reached into his pack then you could have left him be, covering your own backs on the way out. He made a bad move at the wrong time. Feel bad but at the same time realise that you didn't put 2 in his chest and one in the forehead at first chance, you made the effort of contact but ultimately had to protect yourself. Its the situation we are all stuck in. It's a wasteland hell, but its our (characters) reality.

Unless Rocket does an about face in his opinion on creating mechanics to push players away from being bandits, it will always be a popular way of acquiring items. As others have said, there are more pro's to being a bandit than their are being a survivor. Every game like this has devolved into a death match arena and DayZ will be no different. We just have to deal with it if we wish to continue playing, that's all.

I dig the attempt but depending on the distance he might have not heard or saw your chat. The direct communication is swear is only 30 to 40 meters. I need to check wiki and double check.

Yep 40 meters. That is mot very far, es

Especially if someone is firing at you while you are in a tree stand.

Doubtful whether that would of made much difference.

play with friends, other players are more than likely to back stab or kill you on the spot, you had an axe, you can deal out plenty of damage with that bad boy. dayz is like rolling dice, you might be the lucky guy who stumbles on newly spawned gear with out any hostiles around, or you could be the unarmed guy running for his life as bandits take fire. yeah people are dicks but mainly because you were a threat to them in some way. I dropped a guy for his bike all he had was an axe. but serves him right for being naive riding around cherno not thinking people would shoot him on sight

I dig the attempt but depending on the distance he might have not heard or saw your chat. The direct communication is swear is only 30 to 40 meters. I need to check wiki and double check.

Hehe, Yeah I understand this but he was defiantly close enough to hear me. I could see him moving around really close to the tower from the small opening where the ladder goes up. Would have been the same distance if not less than the other night when my friend and I were on top of the Balota airfield tower roof due to hearing another player and getting scared so we climbed up there away from zombies. He was down on the ground probably 10 metres from the tower and we could hear him talking and his D & B music over the mic lol. After us telling him we are armed but friendly (myself with an axe and my friend with a pistol) we found out that he was unarmed, we killed the zombies and preceded to have an excellent adventure with him collecting weapons and the like.

So judging by that, he was definitely close enough to hear me talking in my mic.

Good point though

It's such a different game when you've got someone running next to you, who isn't trying to kill you just because he doesn't have someone running next to him.

• Like 1

sounds like u had an intense moment on dayz....i myself would have kept running if i had an axe, if u were in a deerstand then their was a forest more then likely near... but yea theirs alot of these intense moments. I am actually glad i have 3 friends to play with from other games and we got a guy we met about 1-2 weeks ago that said dont shoot and now hes one of our buds...theirs still good people out here in dayz not looking to shoot people with hatchets...just gotta findem. GL on ur next life.

the other day i had about 600 blood in cherno (only a hatchet and a can of beans to my name). So i basically go running around town asking for help in voice chat and secretly hoping someone puts me out of my misery. i manage to get across the town from the grocery store to the construction site without dying and i passed out right outside the door of the cons site. while passed out a player approaches, and i'm thinking, "whats this guy going to do? steal my beans and put a bullet in my head? steal my stuff while passed out?" so he comes up and it looks like hes rifling through my bag. all of a sudden i have full blood, the guy gave me a blood transfusion! i'm thinking, this guy is my hero. i wake up and he retreats out of hacking range and points his ak at me? i stand up and give him a salute and turn to run off.

so this guy follows me and i'm really wondering what hes up to now. so i head north towards the barns outside of cherno in hopes of finding some sort of firearm and a hunting knife so i can go out and hunt my own food. we get to the barn and he cracks open a can of pepsi... turns out it was the last to ever hit his lips. as he finishes his drink a sniper shot rings out from the distance, my guardian angel is dead.

at this point i'm not so much scared as i am pissed off. i sneak down the stairs and, careful not to expose myself, grab his ak-74 and mags. i creep back up the stairs and lay in wait for this sniper noob to come down for his loot.

the guy took his time, maybe he saw me and was waiting, should i run away? no hes coming, i can just feel it. just when i thought it may be safe to leave i hear footsteps. i raise my sights and then i see a shadow coming around the corner. all of a sudden a guy in a ghillie suit comes proning around the corner, mother-effer didn't stand a chance. i shot him on full auto out of pure revenge.

i waited a bit more to see if he had a friend and went down and lay the ak back on my new friend's body and loot the crap out of the sniper. he had some good stuff for a sniping excursion in cherno, nvgs, rangefinder. i take those two things and put them on my friends body and take the rest of the sniper's stuff and hide his body. from there i set off inland to look for a cow to slaughter. i never heard from my guardian angel again, i hope he came back and found his stuff and my thank you gifts.

point is we're not all dicks and if you had seen the guy camping the deer stand, you would have flanked him and chopped him up. you only identified yourself as friendly when you were actually in danger. it's all about kharma.

• Like 2

the other day i had about 600 blood in cherno (only a hatchet and a can of beans to my name). So i basically go running around town asking for help in voice chat and secretly hoping someone puts me out of my misery. i manage to get across the town from the grocery store to the construction site without dying and i passed out right outside the door of the cons site. while passed out a player approaches, and i'm thinking, "whats this guy going to do? steal my beans and put a bullet in my head? steal my stuff while passed out?" so he comes up and it looks like hes rifling through my bag. all of a sudden i have full blood, the guy gave me a blood transfusion! i'm thinking, this guy is my hero. i wake up and he retreats out of hacking range and points his ak at me? i stand up and give him a salute and turn to run off.

so this guy follows me and i'm really wondering what hes up to now. so i head north towards the barns outside of cherno in hopes of finding some sort of firearm and a hunting knife so i can go out and hunt my own food. we get to the barn and he cracks open a can of pepsi... turns out it was the last to ever hit his lips. as he finishes his drink a sniper shot rings out from the distance, my guardian angel is dead.

at this point i'm not so much scared as i am pissed off. i sneak down the stairs and, careful not to expose myself, grab his ak-74 and mags. i creep back up the stairs and lay in wait for this sniper noob to come down for his loot.

the guy took his time, maybe he saw me and was waiting, should i run away? no hes coming, i can just feel it. just when i thought it may be safe to leave i hear footsteps. i raise my sights and then i see a shadow coming around the corner. all of a sudden a guy in a ghillie suit comes proning around the corner, mother-effer didn't stand a chance. i shot him on full auto out of pure revenge.

i waited a bit more to see if he had a friend and went down and lay the ak back on my new friend's body and loot the crap out of the sniper. he had some good stuff for a sniping excursion in cherno, nvgs, rangefinder. i take those two things and put them on my friends body and take the rest of the sniper's stuff and hide his body. from there i set off inland to look for a cow to slaughter. i never heard from my guardian angel again, i hope he came back and found his stuff and my thank you gifts.

point is we're not all dicks and if you had seen the guy camping the deer stand, you would have flanked him and chopped him up. you only identified yourself as friendly when you were actually in danger. it's all about kharma.

You say I would have done so, but you say it not knowing who I am/what I'm like.

I really enjoyed your story and I feel sorry for the person who lost his life while helping, such is the way that things go.

Had I known he was there? I would have hidden in a bush near him and tried to talk with him.

Never did I say all people are dicks, the title clearly says some people are dicks.

Maybe some day you and I will team up in game, and do the right thing by others because its a bleak environment if no one is nice.

(EDIT)- I commend your actions for doing the least that you could do, being exacting revenge on the person who wiped out someone who couldn't have deserved it less at that point.

Edited by grandclerical

sounds like u had an intense moment on dayz....i myself would have kept running if i had an axe, if u were in a deerstand then their was a forest more then likely near... but yea theirs alot of these intense moments. I am actually glad i have 3 friends to play with from other games and we got a guy we met about 1-2 weeks ago that said dont shoot and now hes one of our buds...theirs still good people out here in dayz not looking to shoot people with hatchets...just gotta findem. GL on ur next life.

Haha I would have kept running but I happened to be at the bottom of the dear stands ladder, thought maybe I could talk to this guy. alas I could not.

So be the way of DayZ.

oh well better luck next time :P