Roshi (DayZ)

Headlamp or pistol/torch dual wield?

Hey all - this mod kicks ass. long overdue...

Just a couple of equipment suggests:

- head lamp - maybe using the NVG model, perhaps more common than NVG, as obviously more limited.

- pistol and torch dual wield - rather than replacing pistol with torch... I.e. Make torch a piece of kit like hunting knife in the lower inventory - operated by pressing L.

Other thought was an optional red filter for these light sources:

Pro - harder to see

Cons - less illumination

My camping head lamp has red filter option so wouldn't be a stretch for realism...

Any chance of a limited power supply on NVGs? Non-rechargeable?

Cheers

I really like this idea man, would be cool to see it get implemented. I guess you could say another Con shows that you're extremely vulnerable when using it in the sense that you can be seen coming/aiming a lot easier.

pistol and torch dual wield - rather than replacing pistol with torch... I.e. Make torch a piece of kit like hunting knife in the lower inventory - operated by pressing L.

I don't get it really. Do you mean torches should be like flashlights that can be turned on and off by L? I guess if you put it in the same inventory spot as the knife, you won't be able to do. BTW the torch isn't replaced by the pistol. You just need to drop the torch in your area and pick it up. Problem solved. The only thing that is annoying is that the brightness of your torch doesn't allow you to see further once you hold it in your hands with a handgun.

dual wield is not able to be done in the game? hmmm thinking of how i can help.......some riffles have light and hand guns such as glock17....... no sorry cant see how to do the hand gun and flash light both at once? as for Light on the heads instead of NVG think i have an old addon that let u do this? ill have to get back to you on this.

Well I looked for the head light sorry lost they add on would have to be made from scratch but can be done.

Thanks for the input falcos. On reflection, the reason i suggested these options is that i'm not big on having to give up a pistol slot for a torch. The idea of having it as a bit of kit like NVG (headlamp) or in the lower inventory (torch) was to prevent this. A torch wouldn't sit in your pistol holder - you could hang a mag light off your belt for example. Also to allow the player to have a weapon ready without having to do the hold turn it on, throw it down, pick it up thing.

Cheers

I don't get it really. Do you mean torches should be like flashlights that can be turned on and off by L? I guess if you put it in the same inventory spot as the knife' date=' you won't be able to do. BTW the torch isn't replaced by the pistol. You just need to drop the torch in your area and pick it up. Problem solved. The only thing that is annoying is that the brightness of your torch doesn't allow you to see further once you hold it in your hands with a handgun.

[/quote']

A torch is a flashlight in the UK you dumb dumb.

You can hold a burning flare in your hand at the same time as a handgun, so why not just use the same thing but for a flashlight? Nothing is worse than having no light source during night time.

Another thing with flashlights is the few times I've used one, whenever I drop my pistol, all my ammo goes with it, lost forever. So I've just been avoiding even picking one up.

I'd kinda like a piece of headgear for headlamp that would spawn more often than the nightvisions.

A torch is a flashlight in the UK you dumb dumb.

Quit being irate and sour and try to actually contribute to the topic instead, thanks in advance.

On the subject, I think it's a very great idea. Headlamp makes alot of sense, and it's very common to use, civilians and military alike, therefore would be no stretch to find such a thing. Filter is all thumbs up, as well as being able to wield a flash light whilst using pistol.

Secondly, adding weapon lights (providing weapon has picatinny rail or likewise) that you can take on and off would also be neat as well. Can see myself getting very good use for a red or green filtered headlamp. There should be ones with filter and without.

Yeah I like the idea of adding weapon lights but I suspect that weapon modification in the field isn't a feature in ARMA II making it difficult to implement. Having said that it would be a great idea. I kinda liked the idea of using heavy duty tape to attach a torch (flashlight) to your rifle, but refrained from suggesting it for this reason.

I'm guessing the suggestions that that are easiest to implement and that really add to the shit-scared/just survival ambience are the ones that will make it into the mod once the dev team are happy with the core gameplay. I am very happy with a cautious approach to adding suggestions as I like the authentic feel of the mod - really don't want it to become too gamey. Again, can't say it enough - awesome work Rocket and co.

Sorry to keep thrashing this post but another advantage of a head lamp over weapon mounted flashlight is light beam would stay facing aheac when you run or turn... Something that doesn't happen with my G17...

I'd like to bump this idea. With the 1.7.1 nighttime visibility change, a headlamp specifically would be so sweet. Would be awesome to be able to run and have your light on at the same time. As a pickup of course. Possibly to take up the same slot as NVGs so you have a choice?

Just cause at night in this patch, obviously it's pitch black, manageable. But the flashlight obviously lowers when you run. Giving you this weird 'run, stop, run, stop, run, stop' feel. Either that or walk everywhere, which isn't the most fun.

If I could be "that guy"... realistically, i can run and hold out a flashlight at the same time. Whether that's not in the arma 2 engine's capabilities or not, the headlamp would be a nice addition to the loot table imo.

Just adding to the suggestion. I don't like the dual weilding though. It would look weird, and that's kind of the point of the g17.

Being able to wield a flashlight while holding your sidearm, perhaps increase the recoil of the sidearm and/or reduce your aiming accuracy?

I think the idea of a head lamp taking the slot of NVGs would be a great addition. It could work the same as the light in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., pointing where-ever the player looks. Maybe it takes a moment to turn on/off, about the same time as switching from a primary to secondary weapon.

os8znr.jpg

Excuse my horribly lazy diagram.

No idea if this is actually an official stance of any kind within the police community, but if I was in an apocalypse, in the dark, I can 100% guarantee you I'd be holding my gun/flashlight like that, or in a similar manner. I have no prior training of any kind with firearms (except having gone target shooting a few times), but that's how I'd be holding it. It should reduce your hip fire accuracy and increase recoil though.

As for the military flashlight, why not have it like the one above? Then there'd be more incentive to find one because, if it's hooked onto your shirt, then there'd be no more accuracy penalty either.

Not discounting the idea of a headlamp, but this can be implemented without introducing a new item.

really like to see a head lamp, that would be a nice touch, as long as it's not supper bright.

and the military flashlight is in game, i'm pretty sure. But they should change it to lenses for normal flashlights, so you can put it on m4/g17/torches/etc.

the head lamp is a pretty good idea, but I would say it'd be super rare.

dual weld... sorry can't support this. If you'd shot a gun you'd know it's hard enough, shooting two while actually trying to hit something... not so much.

os8znr.jpg

Excuse my horribly lazy diagram.

I like it.

Bricked - the picture Rhinoceroscity has put up is the way I envisaged the dual wield - see similar kinds of pictures all over the place, and in movies/TV. Not a firearms expert so no idea about effects on accuracy Or how often this is used ITRW. I imagine in game would only work with walking - running would work like the flashlight works now - swinging about wildly...

Regarding headlamp rarity - personally i wouldn't think it would need to be too rare as the fact that it makes you visible to other players is a downside to providing decent illumination.

If these dual wielding a flashlight and a sidearm cannot be implemented, then maybe make it so when you "remove" a flashlight from your toolbelt your sidearm temporarily goes in its place? It really doesn't make sense to have to put your sidearm in your backpack to pull out your flashlight now does it? After all I envision you have a loop for the flashlight on your belt, and a holster for your pistol. There is no reason you could not holster your sidearm while holding a flashlight in your hand. And when you take out your sidearm, you put your flashlight back in it's loop or whatever. Right now it's a real pain to mess with your backpack, especially when you risk losing ammo/weapon to the void, and also have to have the 5 slots in there.