jayboltz

Night time doesn't serve a purpose

These people think a game that is so stupidly hard it is unplayable at night makes them better gamers when they play it.

Agreed... I think? sorry that wording... i can barely understand it

There are also a Brightness and a Gamma slider in the Video Options ...

and that would be exploiting

Edited by Oryanstar

Its funny, I made this post about making the day/night cycle shorter so that people would actually want to PLAY during the night. I'm not bitching about how awful it is, I just would like to see it improved. No one plays during the night except for a very small amount. How is that not a problem? Yes the game is an alpha but that doesn't mean you cant give constructive feedback. I knew I'd get a few fanboys who see this game as the last hope for hardcore gamers or w/e but it still needs work OBVIOUSLY. Stop being morons and be objective.

Rocket has gone over this half a million times.

He cant change the cycle of time, as it would break the game, because ARMA 2 has the worst engine ever. If he speeds up time, it speeds up the entire world. If he slows it down, it slows down the world. So unless you want zombies that move a thousand time faster, or not at all, he cant make night faster, or remove it.

Seriously, you are nowhere near the first person to think "Hmm, maybe night shouldnt last 10 fucking hours". Everyone who ever played the game has thought of that.

Edit: Oh yeah, it would also cause shit to not spawn either. So you would have fucked up zombies, and no gear.

Edited by ScapeZero
  • Like 1

You all make these stupid replies and yet if it were that simple (which it isnt and you all know it) people would play on servers during night periods. But they don't and I doubt any of you do. Why do people feel the impulse to imply that theres some simple way to get around at night when there really isnt. Can you honestly say you'd go walking around the main cities/air fields with a bright flare or flash light rummaging through buildings? You know you wouldnt, so stop acting like thats what people do.

In my opinion, a cool idea would be putting those power plants to use, and allowing players to activate street lights in that area/city connected to the plant, even if only for a short period of time. Otherwise, grab NVGs, or pick up a flare/chemlight you throw down- But careful! you might become a beacon for some lucky bandit!

There is a portable generator model in the data, at this moment its not being used in the game. But I can imagine that it might in a future update, and that it will be something like a car that needs to be fixed with parts and fueled. Uses? recharging batteries, powering searchlights (wich are in Arma) and such.

Bringing back power will most likely be through one of those portable generators. Operating a whole electric grid requires serious manpower, a portable energy source requires only a few.

and that would be exploiting

No it is not, especially since most others won't play at night at all.

Edited by Robert512

He cant change the cycle of time, as it would break the game, because ARMA 2 has the worst engine ever. If he speeds up time, it speeds up the entire world. If he slows it down, it slows down the world. So unless you want zombies that move a thousand time faster, or not at all, he cant make night faster, or remove it.

Seriously, you are nowhere near the first person to think "Hmm, maybe night shouldnt last 10 fucking hours". Everyone who ever played the game has thought of that.

I love how you think Rocket could make a better engine than the Arma 2 engine.

He is just a guy who made a video game mod.

He isn't Nocht. No matter how much you pretend he is.

In my opinion, a cool idea would be putting those power plants to use, and allowing players to activate street lights in that area/city connected to the plant, even if only for a short period of time.

Do people not read anything about what is going on with this project?

The mod for power plants already exists and it is very deep in the way it functions. All of the transmission lines on the map are already connected into grids and they share transmission in many areas, there are even cameras at the stations where you can visually (and audibly) check functions. This is all coming to DayZ according to Rocket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dXEORT6Ziw

• Like 1

Edit: Oh yeah, it would also cause shit to not spawn either. So you would have fucked up zombies, and no gear.

Wow that is too bad, but he could still probably make the night less dark, or make NVGs more accessible.

I've only been playing the game for a week, but night time is probably the best time imo to play. Can sneak around more, NVGs aren't that hard to get. Raiding bandit camps is so much easier at night too.

I said this earlier OP and im gonna say this again. This game is not based around you or what is convenient to you, its a simulator not a game of WoW either adjust to it or quit.

I love how you think Rocket could make a better engine than the Arma 2 engine.

He is just a guy who made a video game mod.

He isn't Nocht. No matter how much you pretend he is.

What the fuck are you talking about? Where did I ever say Rocket could make an engine? I just stated ARMA2 uses a shit engine, because it uses a shit engine. That has nothing to do with Rockets ability to create his own engine.

Protip: If someone proves you wrong, say "Thank you" not "Fuck you". No need to derail this shithole of a thread because the game cant work the way you want it to.

im not against how dark it is in dayZ but seriously you must be blind as a bat i live in the middle of nowhere and when all the lights are out i can see just fine in the dark, clouded or not

Try moving into Finland. Wait for winter.

The nights are dark as hell.

Nights are not as dark everywhere, and the season is a factor.

Winter days are darker than summer nights here.

Wow that is too bad, but he could still probably make the night less dark, or make NVGs more accessible.

The thing is he might just like having it that way. He says time and time again hes not making this game to be easy, but I agree, a lighter night would be nice. Maybe people would actually play at night if that was the case.

Guys you aren't cool because you play a hard game.

You sound like a bunch of hipsters and im 99 percent sure every single one of you switches servers when it switches to night time.

But you guys keep fronting.

What the fuck are you talking about? Where did I ever say Rocket could make an engine? I just stated ARMA2 uses a shit engine, because it uses a shit engine. That has nothing to do with Rockets ability to create his own engine.

Protip: If someone proves you wrong, say "Thank you" not "Fuck you". No need to derail this shithole of a thread because the game cant work the way you want it to.

Rocket is a shit developer. It has nothing to do with the engine. He just uses the engine as a crutch when people call out how cheap a lot of the mods features are.

Project Reality works great. Island Life works great. Day Z is a great idea that in reality is a buggy piece of shit.

I said this earlier OP and im gonna say this again. This game is not based around you or what is convenient to you, its a simulator not a game of WoW either adjust to it or quit.

You are a dumbass and its people like you that will drive this game into the ground. You're just one of those people within every niche mod that seems to think everything about it is divine. If you honestly think that it isn't a problem that people all simultaneously leave a server when it goes night, then you are a a dipshit. If you think that people who go on a day server to get NVGs and then go to a night server to take advantage of that loophole, then you are a dipshit. Basically, you do believe these things, so in fact you are a massive dipshit.

Guys you aren't cool because you play a hard game.

You sound like a bunch of hipsters and im 99 percent sure every single one of you switches servers when it switches to night time.

But you guys keep fronting.

Cool assumptions bro

I was on a server the other day and it was realtime I.e. it was 8am in game and 8am here.. Lovely and sunny in RL and in game pitch black. I spent the next hour watching the sun slowly rise so my gameplay changed over that hour which was really fun to do.

I think night needs to be really dark but would like it to get lighter a bit earlier. so many times I logon and its dark in the server yet still light here... or maybe longer on the getting dark and sunrise so people can play when its almost dark and still see enough but dark enough to adjust your gameplay

It starts getting light in game @ 4am!

I am also guilty of switching servers because it was too dark to see. It's ironic because when I was debating buying Arma for this mod, The atmosphere of a "dark" night was exciting to me. The way the flashlight looks as you sprint through the woods. Stopping every 10m or so to look around for Z's (at the time not knowing that Z's don't spawn in the woods). Campfires flickering in the dark. I thought it would be awesome and still do. However as you mentioned, I overlooked one key point. Other players seeing my light from a mile away and hunting me down. Don't get me wrong. I don't think pvp should be removed. In fact it's what keeps me looking over my shoulder and sneaking around, and why I keep coming back to play more. Even though I am not a bandit, bandits keep things interesting for me.

I don't know what the solution is to get people to play at night. Myself included.

I do know that Rocket has touched on this before in a couple of interview I watched.

1. He mentioned trying a shorter day night cycle, but said because of the Arma engine, it caused all kinds of problems and he had to change it back. (might be something we see again when it goes "stand alone")

2. He said that nights are very dark and this was a function of the Arma engine as well and there wasn't much he could do about it. I think his exact quote was something along the lines of "Ya, nights are very dark. maybe a little too dark." (I apologize if I go the quote wrong, but that was basically what I took away from his comment).

Personally I think if the day/night cycle was shorter, I would probably just play through the night and not find a different server. Knowing that in a little while it would be light again. I'm not saying this should happen, but I would be willing to give it a shot if it was possible.

On a side note: Lighting is such a huge part of a game. Some of the best visuals come not in the day or the night, but the times between. Dusk and Dawn. Light has more color, shadows are longer and more dramatic. I wouldn't complain if I got to play through the times of dusk and dawn more often :)

• Like 2

Rocket is a shit developer. It has nothing to do with the engine. He just uses the engine as a crutch when people call out how cheap a lot of the mods features are.

Project Reality works great. Island Life works great. Day Z is a great idea that in reality is a buggy piece of shit.

Then stop playing. No ones forcing you to play. Dont come here and bitch about the game if you dont like it.

I am also guilty of switching servers because it was too dark to see. It's ironic because when I was debating buying Arma for this mod, The atmosphere of a "dark" night was exciting to me. The way the flashlight looks as you sprint through the woods. Stopping every 10m or so to look around for Z's (at the time not knowing that Z's don't spawn in the woods). Campfires flickering in the dark. I thought it would be awesome and still do. However as you mentioned, I overlooked one key point. Other players seeing my light from a mile away and hunting me down. Don't get me wrong. I don't think pvp should be removed. In fact it's what keeps me looking over my shoulder and sneaking around, and why I keep coming back to play more. Even though I am not a bandit, bandits keep things interesting for me.

I don't know what the solution is to get people to play at night. Myself included.

I do know that Rocket has touched on this before in a couple of interview I watched.

1. He mentioned trying a shorter day night cycle, but said because of the Arma engine, it caused all kinds of problems and he had to change it back. (might be something we see again when it goes "stand alone")

2. He said that nights are very dark and this was a function of the Arma engine as well and there wasn't much he could do about it. I think his exact quote was something along the lines of "Ya, nights are very dark. maybe a little too dark." (I apologize if I go the quote wrong, but that was basically what I took away from his comment).

Personally I think if the day/night cycle was shorter, I would probably just play through the night and not find a different server. Knowing that in a little while it would be light again. I'm not saying this should happen, but I would be willing to give it a shot if it was possible.

On a side note: Lighting is such a huge part of a game. Some of the best visuals come not in the day or the night, but the times between. Dusk and Dawn. Light has more color, shadows are longer and more dramatic. I wouldn't complain if I got to play through the times of dusk and dawn more often :)

Rocket could always make his own game and stop taking credit for small changes to the work of others.

Then stop playing. No ones forcing you to play. Dont come here and bitch about the game if you dont like it.

Maybe I want the game to get better. Maybe i'm an actual consumer and not just an idiot who is afraid of change.

Maybe I want the game to get better. Maybe i'm an actual consumer and not just an idiot who is afraid of change.

Since when am I afraid of change?

Bitching here isnt going to make it better though. Rockets going to do what he wants to do. Maybe hell add things you like, maybe he wont, either way bitching and complaining isnt going to change anything. If you dont like the game now, dont fucking play it. Come back some other time, and maybe you will like it.

Look the game's fun, but it has its problems and they need to be addressed if they're going to be fixed. You people that bash those who want to give constructive feedback and/or suggestions are hurting the game, not helping it.