daedrick

New spawn/respawn mechanic + New starting kit mechanic.

Hello, here are two suggestion that I would like to see instead of what we currently have.

First off; Spawn and respawn mechanic. I personnaly like some aspect of spawning on the coast but I believe the system is flawed and should be changed. This suggestion is not mine, as someone else made it in another topic, but I decided to make a topic about it anyway.

I believe when you spawn/respawn you should be spawning skydiving with a parachute that deploy automaticaly when it reach a certain point. I have not decided if we should be able to control the parachute. Personnaly, I think we shouldn't be able to control the parachute to force player into adventure and discovery instead of giving them the possibility to almost always spawn in the same place or reaching their corpse/group too fast by controling their fall.

The point is to entirely stop spawn killing. Also, the fact that you are falling for a minute or so will help new players figure out where they can potentialy acquire loot by having a top down view of their surrounding. No need anymore to follow the predicatable coast. When you fall down and see a city nearby, you know where to go aproximatly. Its visual and instinctive. It will also help spreading out the population and human encounter will be more frequent in the north.

There is also the fun fact that you if you see someone falling in the distance, to head that way to either cooperate with the new comer or simply hunt him for his loot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The second idea is about the starting kit. A lot of people have complaining that they dont start with a compass or with antibiotic for exemple. The only way I found to please everybody is to let them choose. But how do we let them choose without people abusing the mechanic and spawning with a lot of a very useful stuff you ask? Well, I though about something.

What if, each player started with ''ressources''. Before respawns/spawns you are promped with the inventory window. On the left you have some items to choose from while on the right you have your empty pocket and the equipement you choosed.

On the top right, perhaps in the debug window or perhaps on the inventory window you have something called RESSOURCES: 100. Each items is worth a certain amount of ressources for a maximum of 100. For exemple you normally spawn with;

Makarov = 20 ressources

5 makarov mags = 25 ressources (5 ressources each)

2 morphine = 30 ressources (15 each)

1 box of painkillers = 10 ressources

1 coyote backpack = 15 ressources

For a total of 100 ressources. Meaning you dont have any ressources left to spend.

Now, some poeple would like a compast and a map over a makarov, they can now choose that instead of 2 morphines while still having the almost same kit from the exemple above. You could choose to skip all the other items and start with a rifle with some ammo for it or start with some tools while leaving everything else unpicked.

Obviously, some items wouldn't be in the list such as nightvisions. Even if nightvision were 100 ressources people would pick them over anything else and the map would be infested with an item that is suposed to be rare and an acheivement. Also, players need something to strive for.

But I believe the choices to start with different loadout would also stop bandits farming new players on fixed location because they wouldn't always spawn with morphine or painkillers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So, combine the first idea with the second one and you have way more unpredictable and organic sandbox to play with while also taking care off some abuses and griefing. :sleepy:

I await your comments. Thanks for reading. :)

TLDR: There wont be any TLDR :P

If you guys agree can you please give a +1 or something, so it doesnt sink. Otherwise, please tell me why my idea is crap. Thanks!

Yeah like Master Of Orion 2 race creation... I would love having a revolver + 3 mags with a czech pouch instead of a makrov.. and coyote..

Bump for visibility, thanks for the feedback.

Option number one, totally up for that. Would also lower the amount of people spamming abort and respawning because they aren't near Cherno/Electro

In favour of this, I have no idea how to navigate my around. I was looking in the forests for areas to look about, using the roads and so forth and didn't find anything for over an hour, eventually i found a very tiny town with no buildings I could go in...water pump though! :D

The ability to choose starting gear is also a great idea, some may disagree with your idea on how to do it but certainly it would be a very nice idea. Perhaps just simply making it random!

I think the first idea is a little... dramatic for DayZ.

I really like the idea of choosing your starting gear to at least some degree. I'd probably swap some stuff for a map because I don't know Chernarus off by heart yet.

Thanks guys, tell your friends and family about this topic, so we get it ingame asap. :P

Not a big fan of the second idea, could be very complicated to people starting out, and could give more incentive to slaughter newly spawned people since you don't know if they carry the standard 2 cans of beans and a makarov, or something else that could be valuable to you. It seems like it would counteract the steps made to prevent spawn killing with the first idea.

As for the first idea I quite like it, although I find it hard to explain why you'd be falling from the sky. Luckily that's not my job :P If you had some control over the parachute though it'd add to the possibility of joining up with your mates easily, by for instance aiming for the same village or w/e.

Thats exactly what I want to avoid if we let players control their fall. If they control it they will regroup too easily and death will mean nothing, not only that, but players could really easily get back to their gear and thats also something we dont want to happen.

About the first point, I doubt we should stop an idea because it sound complicated for new players. I mean, we are playing a military simulator after all. :P

Other than that, the roleplay part is a little harder to figure out, why are you falling from the sky in the first place? Well, when we think about it spawning on the beach is very similar, RP wise, I mean, there are no sinking ships nearby or anything else that could lead us to believe we escape an infected boat. I though that perhaps, eventually after polishing and what not, that rocket could add a flaming plane in distress CLIENT SIDE flying nearby to explain why you are spawning in the sky. Hell, it could even be a simple CGI cinematic the first time you enter the game, or a text explaining the events.

I don't like the first part. I think some people will sit on a hill with a scoped rifle and duck hunt. It will always be "some people" doing such, and destroy game play. But I'll think this will encourage more people. Maybe if it was 1 of 10 places, the coast like now and the possibility to spawn from from the sky with a parachute.

It would be nice if there was some random text as you mentioned in the last post. "You wake up on the the coast soaking wet and dressed in seaweed..."

"Someone shot down your plane..."

"You have been waiting for you brother over 2 days on the location you agreed on, but he hasn't shown."

The second thing you is something I have thought about as well, would love to see it in the game. All players have different style of play, some prefer night some day. Some basic stuff to choose from.

Allright, look at it from this point of view then. You'd never wanna enter an infected area on purpose, atleast not without a tank or two. As you've said with the idea about for instance a plane on fire, or what I imagine is the case now, being washed ashore with nothing but a makarov etc.

Now, since we've established that you're not going to chernarus on purpose, why then would you get to choose your loadout? Choosing what you spawn with implies that you know you're going into an infected area on purpose.

And sure, players have different playstyles, but DayZ is about survival above all else, people good with snipers can't choose to find one in a barn instead of a winchester and so on. It's about surviving with what's handed to you. If you get to choose what to receive, then part of the challenge is gone, even if it's a minor one. If you want antibiotics or blood packs you should be forced to raid a hospital, not choose to receive it upon spawn.

Allright' date=' look at it from this point of view then. You'd never wanna enter an infected area on purpose, atleast not without a tank or two. As you've said with the idea about for instance a plane on fire, or what I imagine is the case now, being washed ashore with nothing but a makarov etc.

Now, since we've established that you're not going to chernarus on purpose, why then would you get to choose your loadout? Choosing what you spawn with implies that you know you're going into an infected area on purpose.

[hr']

And sure, players have different playstyles, but DayZ is about survival above all else, people good with snipers can't choose to find one in a barn instead of a winchester and so on. It's about surviving with what's handed to you. If you get to choose what to receive, then part of the challenge is gone, even if it's a minor one. If you want antibiotics or blood packs you should be forced to raid a hospital, not choose to receive it upon spawn.

Your first point is a little silly, it remarks upon story consistency or situation consistency. While it would be lovely for this to happen then

>If I am just an average joe, why do I have a makarov and understand how to use it?

>How do I know the correct dose of morphine to take

> Why are we all wearing backpacks?

If I intended to go to an infected area, why did I take JUST a makrov and improper armor? If I did not intend, why would I have in most cases any equipment at all prepared for this.

Remarking upon paradoxes is silly when it comes to features like this, as it is only a game that is not remarkably story driven. It is a situation, we are given gameplay elements and that is all. It isn't a campaign for Bad Company 2 or anything.

Your second point is completely valid and remarks upon how this idea should be tweaked. Perhaps only minimal items or ones of lesser importance can be changed around? I mean its not as if exchanging my starter painkillers + morphine for an extra bandage or two is giving the 'BANDAGERS' out there an advantage that suits their bloody playstyle (geddit, bloody?).

I did state in my original post that you should only get to choose between basic things. Things that many players complained to not spawn with and it make sense to them. Some player would rather spawn with a flashlight than flares. I propose to them that they can indeed choose to spawn with a flashlight, but they will have to drop a makarov mag and the flares for it.

It add another layer of choice and custimisation and solve some new players have encountered.

As per the roleplay element, well not everybody use the same gear or give importance to the same things. If we take into consideration that the character ingame is a representation of yourself, you probably made choice before you got washed ashore. The system in the second idea is representing these choices with a certain limit.

And sure' date=' players have different playstyles, but DayZ is about survival above all else, people good with snipers can't choose to find one in a barn instead of a winchester and so on. It's about surviving with what's handed to you. If you get to choose what to receive, then part of the challenge is gone, even if it's a minor one. If you want antibiotics or blood packs you should be forced to raid a hospital, not choose to receive it upon spawn.

[/quote']

Do you suggest we start with an empty inventory instead? But if there should be some realism, the character should have something in his pockets. And if we do, don't you find it very strange that every person have two injections of Morphine, a gun with not just one clip but five (or is it six) and some flares!?

I can't see any problem with the ability to choose between some basic equipment. Think it just would add authenticity to the game that every person is unique.

Do you suggest we start with an empty inventory instead? But if there should be some realism' date=' the character should have something in his pockets. And if we do, don't you find it very strange that every person have two injections of Morphine, a gun with not just one clip but five (or is it six) and some flares!?

I can't see any problem with the ability to choose between some basic equipment. Think it just would add authenticity to the game that every person is unique.

[/quote']

I suggest that we all start with the basics as we have now, I'm not suggesting a change at all. And no I don't find it strange that you walk around with medical supplies, a gun and flares in a world populated by zombies and bandits wanting to kill you, in all likelyhood that plague didn't hit the world during the time you washed ashore. If it was a real apocalyptic event in the real world, first thing I would get would be a bag of medicine, food, lightsources and a gun and as much ammo as I can fucking carry. If it's the quantity you're worried about then sure, why not have the amount of morphine and ammo you spawn with be randomized, but I see no legitimate reason to let you choose what.

I would be in favour of a random kit, just randomise everything would make it much more fun and dynamic.

Making every start a new thing.

+1 for Parachute spawning, I think it would be a great way to start.

I think the kit is fine with everyone having a standard, if people varied so much it would only increase the want to kill other people, especially freshly spawned players.

tbh, I really dislike the parachuting idea. I think it makes no sense wrt immersion or the style and setting of this 'game' at all. You know how tough it is to even get a car going, so what's with all the aircraft all of a sudden? If we were soldiers sent in to the infected zone, then maybe, but we are not. We are poor peasants with fuck all stuff and very little hope... parachutes just doesn't fit in to that picture at all imho.

And on a gaming note, I think you would see a lot of dead bodies reaching the floor, with CZ holes in them.

As to starting inventory, as I have said in another thread, I think the starting kit is pretty bloody generous tbh. It gives you all you need to start surviving. It needs to be restricted as a punishment, as a disincentive for spawn killing, as an incentive to start surviving... and, most importantly, just because this game is a bastard. I'm surprised and happy we get as much gear as we do!

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to some randomisation of gear, just to mix it up a bit. fuck only 2 mags, but sweet 4 painkillers... etc.

my2p

Whats the difference between escaping a sinking boat and spawning on the beach or escaping a crashing plane and spawning all over the map?

Also, whats easier, sniping people that spawn at the very same coordinate everytime in the open, or sniping people that spawn all over the map, falling through the sky, especialy with the 1500m vision limit.

I kind of agree that the starting kit is kinda generous tough.

Whats the difference between escaping a sinking boat and spawning on the beach or escaping a crashing plane and spawning all over the map?

Also' date=' whats easier, sniping people that spawn at the very same coordinate everytime in the open, or sniping people that spawn all over the map, falling through the sky, especialy with the 1500m vision limit.

[/quote']

I guess this is where we disagree on our interpretation of the spawn points. For me, I never perceived spawning on a beach as being shipwrecked. I just saw it as a mechanic to get us into the game. I didn't actually put much thought into it. I just figured, I'm in a zombie apocalypse, so I start where I start, spawn location is all rather moot after 5 mins running. I see us as the survivors of the area, not necessarily outsiders. We have to start somewhere, so starting randomly in the most populated areas made sense to me. I don't think we need to over think it much more than that.

That said, I would also be happy with a random spawn anywhere on the map, but like the starting kit, spawning us near towns is actually quite generous, and paradoxically harsh by rocket. I love it.

But then I've never been killed at spawn, there is always somewhere to hide quick. On that note, wrt to your sniper point, which is fair enough. What's easier: Running/crawling to a building or tree to get cover quickly, or falling for 30 secs in the complete open with no control at all?

Parachuting is a great idea.

Changing/allowing people to choose the starting gear is not.

Ok well, The first idea is pretty interesting and i agree something should be done about the spawns, But Spawn killing isn't gonna be going anytime soon, If you drop from the sky in a parachute everybody will know where you are and they can simply shoot you down but this time you're unable to defend yourself, If the parachutes are not player controlled they will all land in the same generic spot, The same spawn killing etc will occur as before apart from now with the spawn system you suggest everybody will know exactly where you are and you will be just shot out of the sky before you even get a chance to set foot on the ground, If they are player controlled everybody will do, As you said: Land in the spot they died/land near there group OR they will simply redirect there direction towards the Cherno Airfield or the NW airfield or something, I Think that if you place a parachute in the game every aspect of Exploration is violated, because everybody knows where they are and where they should be going, For the second one i don't really like the idea of choosing what you spawn with, I Think adding a Compass and a watch to the starting gear is a good idea, But if you add a map then the whole exploration aspect for new players is ruined, The Map,Matchs and such are alot more common now to find anyway, And also if you do choose your spawning gear i believe that would ruin the survival gameplay for dayz, What me and alot of other people probably agree on is that DayZ is very popular because you have to work for what you get, If you're to lazy to Search a couple of towns/houses for a Map/Torch then why are you playing a game which is built up on the fact you have to go search and find all of your gear.. I personally hate the credits idea thing, i just see it being Farmed with ease ((Killing yourself,use credits to buy a shitload of makarov clips then repeat)), If anything the game needs to be harder, Its unbelievably easy to get back to where you previously died, Once you respawn, Find a near-by town/city road sign, Go on a arma 2 map on google and find where you are then go in the direction to where you died according to the map, You have some good ideas and Fair-play to you, But it won't really turn out very practical :/ ((My response seems like i'm just being a prick and shitting all over your ideas but in reality i'm just trying to be realistic as to how it can be implemented :S, Hope you won't take any offence. :)))

No no, no problem at all. I rather take that kind of critique with arguments to back up your points than comments like ''no its a bad idea'' and thats it.

So yeah, all fair points, and I kinda agree with you that game need to be harder. But thats a whole different topic. Also, fair point that if people choose what to spawn with it will be abused if spawn mechanics are somewhat static but its not really the case even with the current system.

On an off topic note; You signature made me laugh quite a bit. How not to use a ghillie suit. l:P

Just my opinion, but the parachuting thing is ridiculous. I for one, don't want to look up every 5 seconds and see a flying survivor coming down from the heavens above in an attempt to fix an issue that isn't even really an issue.