Sign in to follow this  
Forceflare

DayZ almost literally unplayable

I don't mean to rant, I want to know if anyone else has ever or is currently having these problems? First off, nobody ever talks, I never see anybody. I've wandered around for an hour or so and never once found a building that I could actually enter and loot. Even if I'm proned and not moving, zombies (at any distance, really) slowly walk towards me; the second I get up they start sprinting at me and never give up. I don't know if it's a glitch or a mechanic but sometimes my character is incapable of running and is stuck in a walking state, crouching or not (I'm aware Shiftx2 to toggle run on/off). Lastly, you start with no form of weapon or defense mechanism besides sprinting and every town area is swarming with Zombies, so looting is improbable in any scenario. Are these common problems? Did I waste $20 just to play this DayZ Mod? I want to enjoy it, but it's impossible at this stage....

Please go and watch, read, listen to beginner guides. There are some lovely ones that have been written.

Most of what you just ranted about are non-issues, you just need to learn the ropes. If you've never played ArmA, go mess around in armory or Boot Camp to learn the ropes of movement.

• Like 2

Check out this map: www.dayzdb.com/map

It'll show you all the hotspots for buildings to enter, loot to find, etc. Players are rare except near the NW Airfield and the big cities like Elektro and Chernogorsk. You can lose zombies by running into buildings (they can't run indoors) or running up hills while zig zagging at 45 degree angles. Remember, it's an alpha, so there're lots of bugs, but it's definitely playable if you can get over the little details.

I recommend the first post on this thread.

I think you also may need to look at it with a different perspective, the weapon spawn was removed for a reason.

The game isn't supposed to be easy, and i have no problem looting and carefully starting on the shoreline and be fully capable of surviving for hours and hours within the first 30 minutes of gameplay. You just got to learn how to deal with the situation and how to work around things.

Giving up and ranting about it isn't the way to go mate. Keep a positive mindset and outplay the brainless zeds.

• Like 1

First of all, figure out where you spawn by looking at the location that pops up in the bottom right corner of the screen when you log in. From there, look at a loot map (google dayz loot map for several options) and find yourself on the map. It becomes much easier when you know where you are and where you are headed. My personal goal when I start a fresh character is to either: 1) go to a barn (high yield) if I'm near one and hope for goodies or 2) enter one of the two huge cities, electro or cherno, and gear up to the point where i can go up north. From there you can raid military locations for the better weapons and hit up barns and deer stands along the way.

Zombies are kind of tough to figure out but once you understand their patterns you will be a pro. The goal is to figure out for yourself the minimum distance you must keep from zombies and to make sure that a zombie is not facing your direction while you are trying to get around them. Like it or not, you must go prone if a zombie is looking in your direction. No matter how much cover you are behind or how far away you are, the zombie WILL activate super-sonar and jump your ass. Just go prone and crawl until no zombies are facing you, then come up with the best plan for attack for getting around them until you get a weapon. Stay away from highways and navigate around the map in the forests and you will be minimizing risk. Also, always get inside a building to try and dodge zombies as they are forced to walk.

If you need help in the game or are looking for a partner I can help you. My steam id/skype is jordanmrocks

• Like 1

Typical i bought ArmA 2 because i heard DayZ was so popular and a great game, then reality shocked me.

How about not believing every single word in those blogs out there? DayZ is a harsh game with idiots running around killing others for nothing.

There are enough hints in the forum and the wiki that helps you survive longer.

Now give me back the time i needed to write this post.

Which buildings you can enter are a bit of a problem for me too. Look for windows that you can see through.

First of all, figure out where you spawn by looking at the location that pops up in the bottom right corner of the screen when you log in. From there, look at a loot map (google dayz loot map for several options) and find yourself on the map. It becomes much easier when you know where you are and where you are headed. My personal goal when I start a fresh character is to either: 1) go to a barn (high yield) if I'm near one and hope for goodies or 2) enter one of the two huge cities, electro or cherno, and gear up to the point where i can go up north. From there you can raid military locations for the better weapons and hit up barns and deer stands along the way.

Zombies are kind of tough to figure out but once you understand their patterns you will be a pro. The goal is to figure out for yourself the minimum distance you must keep from zombies and to make sure that a zombie is not facing your direction while you are trying to get around them. Like it or not, you must go prone if a zombie is looking in your direction. No matter how much cover you are behind or how far away you are, the zombie WILL activate super-sonar and jump your ass. Just go prone and crawl until no zombies are facing you, then come up with the best plan for attack for getting around them until you get a weapon. Stay away from highways and navigate around the map in the forests and you will be minimizing risk. Also, always get inside a building to try and dodge zombies as they are forced to walk.

If you need help in the game or are looking for a partner I can help you. My steam id/skype is jordanmrocks

Thanks, added you on skype. (Sleekkyy)

With time you will recognize how the enterable building look, there are only a few variations. And yes even though a zombie is not aggroed it will naturally gravitate toward your general area. This is a mechanic in the game not a glitch. It doesn't mean they see you, so just lay still till it passes. Also about the running, when you stopped were you going up hill? You cant run directly up hill, you have to side strafe left or right while looking up hill.

I like to toggle walk/run to walk by default and hold shift to run. i spend more time sneaking anyway, so no need to have it toggled to run.

Hmmm, sounds like a sever case of being bad at the game.

You didn't pay $20 for DayZ, you payed $20 for Arma 2. DayZ is a free mod for Arma2 and is currently in ALPHA TESTING so of course there's going to be problems.

Hmmm, sounds like a sever case of being bad at the game.

You didn't pay $20 for DayZ, you payed $20 for Arma 2. DayZ is a free mod for Arma2 and is currently in ALPHA TESTING so of course there's going to be problems.

Actually, I paid $20 for Operation Arrowhead. Arma 2 is free.

I don't mean to rant, I want to know if anyone else has ever or is currently having these problems? First off, nobody ever talks, I never see anybody. I've wandered around for an hour or so and never once found a building that I could actually enter and loot. Even if I'm proned and not moving, zombies (at any distance, really) slowly walk towards me; the second I get up they start sprinting at me and never give up. I don't know if it's a glitch or a mechanic but sometimes my character is incapable of running and is stuck in a walking state, crouching or not (I'm aware Shiftx2 to toggle run on/off). Lastly, you start with no form of weapon or defense mechanism besides sprinting and every town area is swarming with Zombies, so looting is improbable in any scenario. Are these common problems? Did I waste $20 just to play this DayZ Mod? I want to enjoy it, but it's impossible at this stage....

Nearly everyone gets this feeling towards the mod, but the more you play the more you accept it's bugs, more updates are coming out so more bugs are being fixed and no you didn't waste $20 because ARMA 2 has alot more than just DayZ servers.....

I'm not sure what is going on with your movement, but otherwise everything you described is working as intended.

1) People don't want to talk to you because everyone is worried someone else will steal their beans (and no you can't steal mine either). Not to mention they need to be within 40m to use direct communication voice/text.

2) You don't want to see anyone, trust me. If you see another person, there is at least a 20% chance you are about to die. If another person sees you, there is at least an 80% chance you are about to die.

3) Buildings you can enter or loot will in almost have cases have open doors or windows that you can look through into the inside rooms. Look for those tell-tale signs.

4) Especially early on, when unarmed, getting past the zombies is challenging. Don't try too hard. If they find you and you die you may spawn at a much easier starting point.

5) Scrape the zombies chasing you off by zig-zagging around obstacles like trees, brushes, fences, buildings, or running up steep hills (hold the alt button to enable free looking while running).

Don't expect this alpha version of a soon to be full game to hold you hand. Members of generation easymode may not be able to handle this game in its current version.

Edited by Obsolescence

This is a mod.

If you don't like it and you think you "wasted your money" then please.

Go play something else.

You spent money for a free mod. Go play normal ARMA II

It's quite good.

You'll learn which buildings you can enter pretty quickly. There are like 20 different buildings that are just repeated in different towns. Look for windows that allow you to see inside the building.

I think you're getting stuck on hills and that's why you can't sprint. Move diagonally up hills!

Typical i bought ArmA 2 because i heard DayZ was so popular and a great game, then reality shocked me.

How about not believing every single word in those blogs out there? DayZ is a harsh game with idiots running around killing others for nothing.

There are enough hints in the forum and the wiki that helps you survive longer.

Now give me back the time i needed to write this post.

No, sir, you give ME back the time it took to read it. Hopefully your next zombie game has kill streaks and you won't be so disappointed. ;]