blackbeard06

[GUIDE] Newbie Survivor version 1.2.0.

Thanks for the pic of the barn. I'd given up looking for barns because every building I'd go to in villages would have no interior.

Thanks for the loot tips. This is what I struggled with most when I first started. Since towns are infested I tend to avoid them, but in turn I wasn't finding any good items in the few enterable buildings I found out in the country. Eventually some friendly lad led me to the hospital in that big industrial town with the tall hotel. Found blood packs, weapons, everything I would need. Then our chatter brought out the bandits and I was quickly executed whilst leaving the city.

When I get home tonight I am going on the hunt for more barns. The only barn I found and hid out in when it was dark had nothing, but it was a different type than pictured.

Great for the new ARMA II players. Good sticky and great pointers from all the posters. Most of it seems straight forward, but for new comers who have no idea what ARMA II brings; Helps themselves and others survive.

Thanks for the support guys! I will add this to the post as soon as I can. I'm backed up with editing and other work in my daily life so I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Fantastic guides; maybe next time I won't be eaten alive in the first couple of minutes or so (still, probably within the first five) :D

Nice article, appreciate the work.

When attacked by Zeds, move backwards. Keep your finger on the back direction arrow and proscribe an arc in front of you if your tackling multiples.

If one darts to side, turn to face it but always keep your finger on the back direction key, moving back.

I find they tend to stop still at a certain position, giving you enough time to squeeze off accurate shots and not get hurt much.

I took on 8 after firing the enfield, so they were moving fast, and didn't get hurt.

also

If you decide to move through an area dense with Zeds, which is easy to achieve crouch walking (in regular mode anyway), always plan an escape route and have a defendable position in mind to fall back to. Running through a building slows them so they're easier to pick off.

Remember to keep moving backwards while engaging.

can anyone give some information about the blood levels at which your screen starts doing things, and what the proper medical treatment is?

Also, the day/night cycle...is it correct to think that it is real time and not accelerated in any way?

I will be adding an update to the entire guide very shortly. This last update requires pending approval from the Developer(s) of the mod for a possible controversial Tip.

Thanks for the help on adding your own input / tips!

If I might make a suggestion, I'd add the "Throw" functionality to the Newbie Guide.

I didn't even know until last night that you could throw things like empty cans to distract zombies, its not documented anywhere that I could find. In fact, I did a search of various guides for the word "empty" and the only context I saw was on how to fill water bottles.

I suppose you might stumble across it on your own if you happened to have junk in your inventory, but I tend not to.

Well, until recently. Spawning disarmed means that distraction techniques will be much more important. And much more important for newbies to know about.

/edit:

I just looked for "throw" and the only potential mention of throwing non-flare items was a line about throwing flares or other things that can be thrown. Which I would have thought just referred to grenades.

Also, what would be real helpful is a listing of what the different icons on the right mean. Just a screenshot with labels on it.

Like, "Thirst level. If flashing, need to drink" or "Broken bone, treat with morphine".

Been looking for a new game to play at home, but my computer is kind of slow. I can barely run World of Warcraft so I was wondering, what is the minimum specifications for this game? Couldn't find the section for the info so I just posted here. If I can't run it on my computer, no reason to install game. Sorry for posting if its the wrong area to post. I am very computer illiterate as you can tell :( . Also, please tell me this game has in game voice chat! I hate installing additional programs if I don't need to. Slows down my computer, computer sucks, need new video card :(

Hello, since the number of zombies have doubled if not more, some players are having an hard time gearing themselves up to make a stand agains't this new threat. Let me explain how to get gear that will make it possible to defend yourself if you are spotted by zombies.

1: Die or start as a new character.

2: Head inland, dont try to loot cities on the coast, it wont end well.

3: Find a barn, there are many kinds of barns. You want to find one of these as they are the smallest and have the most loot in them. Also, the least zombies and easily defendable.

PIC: http://picacid.com/a...la_old_open.jpg

4: Grab any weapon you want, from crossbow to winchester.

5: Win.

Also, as a bonus, I will share a secret, if you CRAWL, zombies will barely notice you. Its almost like being invisible, without the invisibility.

Yeah, if I attract any Zombies, I run out of the town i'm in (if i'm in one) and find the nearest bush/cover. I then go prone into the cover and don't move. It works almost every time.

Been looking for a new game to play at home, but my computer is kind of slow. I can barely run World of Warcraft so I was wondering, what is the minimum specifications for this game? Couldn't find the section for the info so I just posted here. If I can't run it on my computer, no reason to install game. Sorry for posting if its the wrong area to post. I am very computer illiterate as you can tell :( . Also, please tell me this game has in game voice chat! I hate installing additional programs if I don't need to. Slows down my computer, computer sucks, need new video card :(

I'm pretty shure you should at least be able to run it on minimum settings. There is direct voice chat ingame, so people near each other can talk in voice chat. There's no voice chat everyone can hear though, sorry if you wanted that.

Good guide, but parts of it are outdated.

Also, community tip #1 is BS. If you have a gun with at least 20 rounds, always sprint into town and hit the local grocery store. Once you check the store for players, blow away all the zombies that enter, loot, and GTFO as quickly as possible.

This method minimizes exposure to players a lot more than crouch-walking or crawling around with a bunch of zombies causing you to pick an inefficient path.

If you don't want to hit the grocery store (or apartment complex), then stay out of town.

The only exception to this is when you need access to a military installation or hospital. Even in those cases, zombies are only relevant in the context of your exposure to other players (as in: zombies make you more visible to other players).

Edited by Falcrist

A few miscellaneous tips:

- Reloading a gun while prone will cause your sound "visibility" level to increase substantially. So if you're proning through a group of zombies in the middle of a town, DON'T reload your gun. Learned that one the hard way.

- Crawling along the ground makes you silent to zombies, but makes a ton of noise in your own speakers/headphones. If you're trying to sneak up on another player without them hearing you, you might try rolling while prone (default 'Q' and 'E' keys). It's soundless.

- Get used to Aiming Down Sights (ADS) with weapons. A lot of servers have crosshairs enabled, but in my experience they're buggy as hell, so you might as well just learn to aim down the sights. Also, many servers have crosshairs disabled.

-

Thank you guys. I learned very much from this.

Makes the start much easier.

Thanks for the Very useful tips (A++) on how to survive and conduct my self within the game.

I will use all this info on my first game which will be tomorrow, No matter how it ends up, i Cant wait!!. :).

Wow... That's like the boy-scout guide for DayZ.

You have my beans, sir.

Edited by (TCA_#C)Kingspiral

You have things in red text saying (curiosity of "nuttex"). Do you mean Courtesy? As in, 'this information was added, courtesy of nuttex'?

I know about pitching tents, but have no knowledge in how they work.

If I pitch a tent to keep supplies, will it exist only on the server that I pitched it? or will it exist across all servers in the hive? or will it just fade away when I leave the server?

Basically, same thing about vehicles, I know folk store gear in them, but how do they keep the car from going poof over days of game play?