Sign in to follow this  
Thortimer

New Locations (Standalone DayZ)

I believe, and think many of you would agree, that while Chernarus is great, it was never intended for use in a zombie survival mod. This is evidenced by the tiny, mostly inaccessible towns and vast rolling hills. There is simply not enough to do and so much to not do it in.

I'm currently on a vacation, visiting my grandmother in Iowa (Iowa City/Cedar Rapids/Corralville area) and it occurred to me, this could be the perfect location for the next zombie survival scenario, and here is why.

Large towns/Small cities- Let's face it, Chernarus really only had large towns and villages, even cherno and elecktro aren't very large. These bigger cities and towns will make larger zombie hordes logical and the norm. Iowa City is a college town, wouldn't hoards of frat boys be a terrifying thing?

Larger variety of terrain types in a relatively short distance- I went canoeing earlier today, and on the short trip to the large lake (which emptied into a river) we passed: Hills, thick forest, prairies, open fields, ravines, cliffs, etc. This was all within walking distance from the main road we traveled down for no more than five miles.

Variety between residential, commercial, industrial, military, and agricultural areas- This area is very diverse, containing miners, farmers, businessmen, and every sort of trade in between. This would make for a bounty of areas to scavenge a complete variety of survival equipment.

And if you don't think the Iowa City area would make a good, sensible location for the next progression of DayZ, where would?

What I mean is: If the DayZ developers started work on a new map, completely catering to the whims of DayZ, what location would do surviving the zombie Apocalypse justice?

• Like 2

I graduated from a college there in Cedar Rapids, Kirkwood Community College back in 03. :D

It's really a beautiful area, I imagine some of the ingame vistas would be gorgeous... A twisted behind a veil of death. ;)

I think it's perfectly fine..

That's the thing. It's just fine. It isn't amazing, or the best ever. And it could.

I like the Idea of new maps. I see nothing wrong with Chernarus itself. I feel very crowded on our 40 man server. But I think it would be really cool to have maps of notable locations, that would certainly liven up the experience. Especially if you live there.

HEY GET THE HELL OUT OF MY HOUSE!

• Like 1

I graduated from a college there in Cedar Rapids, Kirkwood Community College back in 03. :D

1903?

Wow we got some old folks on here!

There's a few churches with high, open steeples. I could imagine a sniper nested up there picking off survivors around him.

Are you serious?

1903?

Wow we got some old folks on here!

Are you serious?

I think not exactly same like lowa city.. but something simillar to that.. anyway.. your idea is good :)

I really like this idea. I feel Chernarus works fine for DayZ, but it doesn't perform beyond that, as it is not designed with DayZ in mind at all. I see it as just a building tool.

I made a similar thread to this myself, but I went into a few details about functionality of the map. you can find it here if you're interested; http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46485-dayz-island/

if dayz becomes a standalone game, arma engine or not then id like to see a new map too, cant really support a standalone game if the biggest content in it is recycled, not to say that it shouldnt have cherno in it if its possible to but it needs atleast 1 original map in my opinion