paxtonmega

Banditry exploded

i used to be a nice guy, but then i took an arrow to the knee....

well when i bought this game 1/2 weeks ago i was being nice. getting blood bags to heal people up and bandaging.

Now you hear them saying friendly? friendly? (me totally unarmed running to them) shoot to death.

now i just KoS(Kill on Sight). Or u have to beg me :P and be nice. but i always keep an eye on you

I personally don't shoot unarmed or newly spawned players on site. The only thing you'll achieve from that is ruining a chance of theirs to experience the great things in this game.

Your own personality dictates the way you behave in this game more than you think, I'm sure of it. The only time I've ever had weapons and gear worth fighting for, I was hiding in a bush next to a heli crash site - two well armed guys pull up in a truck. I had a great (hidden) position to take them out, but decided to try and steal their vehicle instead. I failed. The point is, it would have been easy to kill them as they had no idea how close I was, but I chose not to. I kind of feel sorry for players when they get shot because they've spent real life time getting where they have.

On another note, I've played in an empty server previously, and while it was a great relief to be able to sprint through cities knowing I wouldn't get a head full of lead, the sense of excitement was also gone. Knowing that the only threat to you are computer-controlled zombies dampens the on-edge excitement of the game. As such, I think ruthless players that will kill zombies and players are an integral part of the game and we shouldn't complain.

Killing unarmed and new players is pointless though.

Yeah, it's aweful, everyone is killing everyone scrounging around for food and ammo just to loose it 20 seconds later to someone else. But you keep playing.

Real reason for brainless PvP morons? The mod has become to popular.

Watch vids from the time when DayZ got released. 90% of player confrontations ended in a conversation, then we teamed up. Now it's 90% HURR DURR skeet shooting because new ppl came here after getting gaga by other, widley known, FPShooters.

Note: This is my theory.

Edited by EnermaX

The answer of "Play the game how you want to" isn't applicable anymore. Because shooting people on sight is not the way I want to play the game, but if I don't play it that way, I die.

• Like 1

I was looting the supermarket today and saw a trail of zombies headed my way. Figured a player was on his way in. I had a ghillie (not like that matters in the store) and an AKM. So I get myself in the front corner so he runs past me when he enters.

He runs in, runs to the back of the store and before I can get a shot off he hides behind one of the shelves. I flush him out, hit him twice as he runs out the front door. He tried circling around back and I shot him through the glass.

Checked his body - painkillers and bandages. I felt bad, because I would have let the dude off if I knew he really was a new spawn and had no weapon. IProbably ruined that guys day. There are just too many stories of "gave the guy a gun and he shot me in the face".

I wouldn't have given him a weapon, but I would have let him go on his way.

Wow are you STILL talking about what the game actually is and not about my point about KoS gameplay, if you could read you would know I never said the game was zero sum in actuality. You must have some type of mental disorder, that or your English comprehension skills are fucking awful.

I have done on numerous threads, cba explaining again just for you sorry.

I'm not bothering to counter your 3 options because they are all stupid. Look up how radio mods work in Arma II before you start trying to throw your "infalliable analysis" around. (also that is literally the dumbest criterion of meaning I have ever heard)

Way to defeat your own argument (you clearly don't know the meaning of indiscriminately). You'll probably think something stupid at this point like "but why do you think you're not my enemy" which totally misses the point, it's just you in your stupid egocentricity think I'm talking about you personally. Within this game as it is, everyone is everyone's enemy except for those that meet outside the game.

You can't make a silk purse out of a dead goat and nor can you attempt a serious debate with someone how keeps missing the point everytime and just keeps repeating the same irrelevant crap over and over. People like you are so numerous on the Internet, you talk about a bunch of academic stuff to try and appear intelligent and knowledgable but in reality you can't even follow an argument. You keep people like pinker in book royalties

again nothing but 'boohoo waa waaa and name calling'

you also try to debunk my argument bu using a word you introduced not me, ive already explained above how measured purley in rsik V's reward everyone is your enemy, but then you throw in indescriminatley to try and red herring the whole conversation

try and keep up creationist boy (you argue like one so your getting the nickname) saying people dont shoot on sight, then being shown that even some police are ordered to do just that in the really real word means people do shoot on sight in the really real world so stating it wouldnt happen (which you did) becasue it doesnt happen in the real world .... is false, its wrong, its totaly bullshit,

trying to play word games by sticking the word indescrimantley(you used this not me) in to try and moot the entire argument is semantic games worthy only of people without an actual argument but desperatley trying to hang on in there ...your like that kitty on the branch on an old calendar i had

and as ive shown people do shoot on sight of people classed as enemy(out-group) in the real world, and that ingame practiaclly everyone starts off as out-group and as loss V's reward for a player interaction the greatest gain can be made by shooting them its a natural reaction for players to shoot on sight and to keep doing it

I have done on numerous threads, cba explaining again just for you sorry.
see this is what im talking about, if you really were interested uin getting your point across to not me but anyone in this thread/forum dropping in a simple link would have sufficed

lets see what we can find shall we

'Improve in game communications - introduce public frequency walkie talkies than anyone can hear within a 3 km radius so you can make SoS calls and arrange trades before you get into shooting distance.' - wait wut? isnt this point 1 a comm channel everyone can use and has immediate access to

'if they are implemented for all players on a single channel this is nothing more then global chat' ... basically global chat thats had the range reduced a bit

then i find this, made the same day you suggested radio's in here and yet you didnt link it, this is the 4th back and forth reply and still no link ..i wonder why

http://dayzmod.com/f...etting-in-game/

its option 1

' you have radio player 2 doesnt (this is pressuming its a findable item not standard spawn issue), you bumble across player 2 cant alert him your there or check his intentions besides whats already ingame (salute/happydance/surrender/direct text/chat) your in exactly the same position as you were before except now you have a radio in your tool belt'

so maybe how you can tell me how the post increases the ability to communicate friendly intent under the scenario i already gave, you have radio they dont? .. which was the problem you raised the radio subject to counter, greater tools for contacting people to confirm if they are friendly or not at short/mid range

how would this aid people who dont have a mic/cant use one becasue of sleeping family members?

how would this not turn out to be the same annoyance of global chat, people shouting friendly on a 5km wave length and no one having a clue who the hell they are talking to? and having to listen to some geordie having an argument with his wife while crap music blasts out ?.. these were all regular issues when global was actived, how does limiting the range fix this? (well it would for me im nowhere near 80% of the people in this game all noobing it up around churno/electro)

personally i kinda like the idea of bieng able to track comms again, but it has problems built into it

why make it findable? the people most likley to need this (fresh spawners) are the ones least likley to have it, how would you prevent it bieng made usless by someone just locking mic on and shouting/blaring music down it so you cant even hear the zombie 10 meters away from you?

you see how presenting this information instead of just going 'durp radios man' adds context, adds a frame work that people can understand

and just as a personal curiosity how are the possible radio options i guessed at that you could mean retarded and not worth discussing when 2 of the three are things youve suggested yourself as an element that should eb added to game?

ill keep asking questions and ignoring all the ad-homonims as long as your here so maybe if you answered questions (instead of saying you did when you havnt) things might get interesting around here

heres a simple suggestiopn, ive made it before lets see what your take on it is

make every server an exp server

3dp off: now you cant peek round a corner without actually peeking, you have to expose your self to risk making it harder to just stand behind a corner and wait for the person to turn thier backs, you also cant lie behind a bush and pop up a magic telescope so you can see over it and with a massive increase in viewing angle, its harder to find targets so harder to randomly just shoot everything that moves,

name plates/ranging off: now you cant just walk into a barn pick up a hunting rifle and be all 'luk me i r epicz snipa' becasue now you need to know how to calculate range(using scope), find a range finder or open your map guestimate the range and then fire, finding a sniper rifle is about 85% easier then finding a range finder, maps are easier to find but take a little longer, it also adds 3-5 seconds to the firing sequence making it harder to actually shoot them, they have much more chance of getting into cover without ever realising the danger

map markers off: now you cant use waypoints to GIVE them the range just like it does on nameplate/range regular servers

i almost always play on vet/exp, the amount of death matching is lower becasue the wanna be snipers have a much harder time finding/shooting people and are much more likley to get shot in the back of the skull while doing it becasue theres no magic periscope to check the woods around them

Edited by stuffnthings

I met the first friendly play yesterday named Dwayne on a random server. Awesome guy and he was really funny. I've been killed quite a few times even when I had nothing on me. It happens, so I try not to bode on it. I'm still friendly if I can be, but I recognize that everyone secretly wants to kill me.

But FWIW if it's a recent increase it probably coincided with ArmA II going on sale for the Steam Summer Sale. That causes a massive influx of idiots in most games as new players come in and vastly outnumber the folks who "know how it's supposed to work," so to speak.

been going on months peoples memories just get foggy, they forget the fun days we had turning electro into a shooting gallery with our standard issue makarovs

its a standard progression, at the satrt people didnt know what was going on, so they grouped up for help and info, the more they figured stuff out the easier the game began

knowing what was going on and how to do x,y,z the need for that comfort blanket was removed, and so it became easier to shoot that guy to grab all the loot becasue you knew how Z mechanics worked and where the loot you wanted was so there wasnt a need to share, you could just shoot the guy re-gear and go meet up with your buddies where ever they were holed up without having to drag some random guy you met 20 seconds ago with you

with the information bieng spread far and wide it just means the people comming in through steam sales can just skip phase 1 and jump straight into phase 2

• Like 1

knowing what was going on and how to do x,y,z the need for that comfort blanket was removed, and so it became easier to shoot that guy to grab all the loot becasue you knew how Z mechanics worked and where the loot you wanted was so there wasnt a need to share, you could just shoot the guy re-gear and go meet up with your buddies where ever they were holed up without having to drag some random guy you met 20 seconds ago with you

with the information bieng spread far and wide it just means the people comming in through steam sales can just skip phase 1 and jump straight into phase 2

Exactly. You're geared up and some new spawn survivor runs into a room with you. Theres an extra 1911 on the ground. If you let him live, he picks up the 1911, kills you, takes all your gear. Or ....you can kill and unarmed person and make people bitch about the game. Both sucky options if you don't want to ruin the other guys day, but with one of them at least you don't lose all of your stuff.

the thing that suprioses me most is despite all the threads about how everyone shoots on sight, the snipers all around electro massacring the entire city life expectancy is up, its actually doubled from when i started playing

if all these death matchers and super snipers are casuing such wide spread destruction why is it still going up? the posts about how many of these incidents are happening and how bad it is is also going up near exponentially and yet it still keeps creeping up

theres only 1 factor thats had a significant impact on the length of lifespawn and that was the removal of starting weapons, ive had gun fights on the sand of the beach before, died while spawning in on the beach, with the removal of our macaronies when i do die (about once a month atm) im safer now then ive ever been becasue peoples ability to kill me from the starts been taken away

if the increase of players through steam sales, the loss of global chat, and the rise of hackers wiping servers(this actually has gone up significantly) is leading to everyone dying so quickly why is the average life figure still going up?

this game is safer now (pvp wise) then it has been since 1.6.1 when i started playing, the chance that people will comminucate with you (now they cant just shoot you and steal your spawning can of beans on the beach) has gone up, last spawn i had 4 people(3 seperate incidents) in churno(hate the new spawn system) approach me using comms or chat to signal friendly, confused the hell out of me this stuff never happned before, we had a quick chat i declined teaming up where it was offered and we shared info on where people we had heard shooting were roughly located

spawnings a cake walk now compared to what it was and most of that isnt becasue i know what im doing now

Edited by stuffnthings

So the curiosity got the best of me and since 3 days ago I sterted to play Dayz too. So far its great game/mod but all this banditery really do hurt the game and newcomers especially IMO. I haven't been able to survive a single full day as of yet and no, zombies are not the problem anymore. Its getting seriously tiresome... seems some better geared players got nothing better to do than camp for (not literally) hours and waiting to fu** up somebody's day. I could get it if it was for the supplies / beans but when you got AS-50 you probably don't feel any urgent shortage with such gear.

I think its a real shame that players don't choose to work together more, their chance to survive would be much higher in the long run but I guess its just easier to camp and fu** up new players for their single bandage and knife they've been looking for all day.

Anyways, I still like to play but as it is I'm already trying to avoid servers with more than 10 players.

this ground breaking system of putting the player in a corner will surely spawn a new wave of player thinking, a new wave of free-love promoting players that when faced with danger will simply throw up their hands, hug each other and start making sweet sensual love on the floor of the military barracks....... just like rocket intended from day 1. :|

It's not about players hugging each other. Take a look at the DayZ Trailer again, the links starts the video at the "Paranoia" part:

http://tinyurl.com/cqyckph

I don't see people hugging each other there. But at least I hear the attempt to communicate before they start shooting each other.

Anyways, I still like to play but as it is I'm already trying to avoid servers with more than 10 players.

Yup, same here.

Edited by MrBrown

i've noticed that on my server once side chat was gone.. everyone just shot first, ask who last... what a shame.. my server had maybe 3 bandits on ever and now lots of randoms and bandits come and kill

I have been killed once by a bandit so far and shot at by a couple of guys.

I was running from a zed in the middle of the night randomly into a forest and managed to climb a ladder. Chucked out a couple flares to see what was happening and see how many zombies there were. After 10 minutes i heard voices. I was all like "hello?" They replied "shhhhhh you hear something?"

"hello!?"

"yeh i hear it too"

"I spawned about 10 minutes ago I'm pretty harmless on this tower"

Then i saw flashlights and they just started taking pot shots at the tower. They were shooting at me for ages. I was all like "I'm telling you i spawned like 10 minutes ago"

They kept shooting so i just chucked like a million flares off the ledge and jumped off and killed myself.

But then i was walking through a city earlier to day and got hit by a couple shots and I screamed out that i was friendly and unarmed. I asked if he could give me a blood pack as he had shot all my blood away and he gave it to me. Showed me where the hospital was and let me be on my way.

I thanked him as i left the city.

Nice guy. (Noticed he wasnt a 8yr old cod kiddie)

Yesterday I was fresh spawn and running on the coast to cherno when i saw someone bleeding because of a zombies attack, he had starter gear, so I ran where he was and applied my only bandage, also gave him my only painkillers. He told me "thank you friend" and we ran away in different directions. It was pretty funny but also was one of the only friendly encounters i had in the game.

again nothing but 'boohoo waa waaa and name calling'

you also try to debunk my argument bu using a word you introduced not me, ive already explained above how measured purley in rsik V's reward everyone is your enemy, but then you throw in indescriminatley to try and red herring the whole conversation

You haven't followed my argument in the slightest have you.

try and keep up creationist boy (you argue like one so your getting the nickname) saying people dont shoot on sight, then being shown that even some police are ordered to do just that in the really real word means people do shoot on sight in the really real world so stating it wouldnt happen (which you did) becasue it doesnt happen in the real world .... is false, its wrong, its totaly bullshit,

So making valid coherent points is like a creationist? And spewing pages of incomprehensible jibberish at the person you're debating isn't? You must be from the mid-west USA.

trying to play word games by sticking the word indescrimantley(you used this not me) in to try and moot the entire argument is semantic games worthy only of people without an actual argument but desperatley trying to hang on in there ...your like that kitty on the branch on an old calendar i had

Using words to make arguments is not word play my friend.

and as ive shown people do shoot on sight of people classed as enemy(out-group) in the real world, and that ingame practiaclly everyone starts off as out-group and as loss V's reward for a player interaction the greatest gain can be made by shooting them its a natural reaction for players to shoot on sight and to keep doing it

Why don't you understand that is irrelvant? We're not talking about groups shooting enemies in DayZ we're talking about everyone shooting everyone indiscriminately, as that is what happens inside the game (teamspeak is outside the game). Gang and police violence is obviously completely besides the point.

see this is what im talking about, if you really were interested uin getting your point across to not me but anyone in this thread/forum dropping in a simple link would have sufficed

lets see what we can find shall we

'Improve in game communications - introduce public frequency walkie talkies than anyone can hear within a 3 km radius so you can make SoS calls and arrange trades before you get into shooting distance.' - wait wut? isnt this point 1 a comm channel everyone can use and has immediate access to

'if they are implemented for all players on a single channel this is nothing more then global chat' ... basically global chat thats had the range reduced a bit

then i find this, made the same day you suggested radio's in here and yet you didnt link it, this is the 4th back and forth reply and still no link ..i wonder why

http://dayzmod.com/f...etting-in-game/

its option 1

' you have radio player 2 doesnt (this is pressuming its a findable item not standard spawn issue), you bumble across player 2 cant alert him your there or check his intentions besides whats already ingame (salute/happydance/surrender/direct text/chat) your in exactly the same position as you were before except now you have a radio in your tool belt'

so maybe how you can tell me how the post increases the ability to communicate friendly intent under the scenario i already gave, you have radio they dont? .. which was the problem you raised the radio subject to counter, greater tools for contacting people to confirm if they are friendly or not at short/mid range

how would this aid people who dont have a mic/cant use one becasue of sleeping family members?

how would this not turn out to be the same annoyance of global chat, people shouting friendly on a 5km wave length and no one having a clue who the hell they are talking to? and having to listen to some geordie having an argument with his wife while crap music blasts out ?.. these were all regular issues when global was actived, how does limiting the range fix this? (well it would for me im nowhere near 80% of the people in this game all noobing it up around churno/electro)

personally i kinda like the idea of bieng able to track comms again, but it has problems built into it

why make it findable? the people most likley to need this (fresh spawners) are the ones least likley to have it, how would you prevent it bieng made usless by someone just locking mic on and shouting/blaring music down it so you cant even hear the zombie 10 meters away from you?

you see how presenting this information instead of just going 'durp radios man' adds context, adds a frame work that people can understand

and just as a personal curiosity how are the possible radio options i guessed at that you could mean retarded and not worth discussing when 2 of the three are things youve suggested yourself as an element that should eb added to game?

Just watch

ill keep asking questions and ignoring all the ad-homonims as long as your here so maybe if you answered questions (instead of saying you did when you havnt) things might get interesting around here

Its not an "ad-hominem" (<correct spelling) when I say you're retarded. I'm not saying I'm right because you're retarded, you just are!

heres a simple suggestiopn, ive made it before lets see what your take on it is

make every server an exp server

3dp off: now you cant peek round a corner without actually peeking, you have to expose your self to risk making it harder to just stand behind a corner and wait for the person to turn thier backs, you also cant lie behind a bush and pop up a magic telescope so you can see over it and with a massive increase in viewing angle, its harder to find targets so harder to randomly just shoot everything that moves,

name plates/ranging off: now you cant just walk into a barn pick up a hunting rifle and be all 'luk me i r epicz snipa' becasue now you need to know how to calculate range(using scope), find a range finder or open your map guestimate the range and then fire, finding a sniper rifle is about 85% easier then finding a range finder, maps are easier to find but take a little longer, it also adds 3-5 seconds to the firing sequence making it harder to actually shoot them, they have much more chance of getting into cover without ever realising the danger

map markers off: now you cant use waypoints to GIVE them the range just like it does on nameplate/range regular servers

i almost always play on vet/exp, the amount of death matching is lower becasue the wanna be snipers have a much harder time finding/shooting people and are much more likley to get shot in the back of the skull while doing it becasue theres no magic periscope to check the woods around them

Incomprehensible writing...

Edited by Huntra

Speak for yourselves. I don't trust people who don't reply friendly, I shoot those on sight. I don't fully trust people who reply friendly with typing. But I've never shot a player who -said- friendly.

Anyway, most of you shoot-on-sight people seem to complain about shooting on sight, and say you regret having to do the same. I don't think you do, though. You're just throwing fuel on the fire; If you really did regret it, you wouldn't so easily turn the other way. I played without shooting on sight first. Then I went to shoot on sight mode, much like some of you, but I've stopped now. The way I see it, the only thing that can bring about more friendliness is friendliness to begin with. People can't trust you if you can't trust them.

Being the first one to trust someone else is difficult. Believe me when I say I know, I've been shot plenty of times after asking for friendlies. It's why I shoot those who don't reply; I can't trust them because I can't figure out what they intend to do.

But when it works out.. Nothing else in the mod, at least for me, beats that sense of accomplishment, regardless of how it works out.

I've had meetings where greetings are exchanged and not much more happens; we go our separate ways. I've had meetings where greetings are exchanged, but perhaps I just looted a building, I'll point out what I found in case anything is of interest to the other player, and they return the favor.

I've had short moments of cooperation, randomly ran into a squad of three players about a week ago, while looting the Cherno apartments. One was fully geared up with Barracks gear, and they were looking at the apartments with loot in their mind. So I have my AK, and my M1911, and I pointed out which buildings I had been in, what loot I remember seeing, and they scatter to look for it. Not single shot was fired, not a single unfriendly word spoken. Afterwards we broke into the hospital and proceeded to clear out Cherno of loot. After that we exchanged thanks for the help and thanks for not shooting, then they started heading north while I waited for my squad to come pick me up.

This issue you're complaining about won't get better if you don't do anything about it. Especially not if you just push the issue further.

The Day Z psychopath equations go something like this:

Sniper Rifle + Vantage Point = Psychopath

Any Weapon at all + other player = Douchebag

Hell, I used to help everyone I came across. Found a pair of sniper rifles for me and my friend and now I'm a fucking asshole.

When I finally die, I plan on being less of a dick again. Unless I find another rifle. Cyclical douchebaggery.

Well an unarmed player might be walking around unarmed to look harmless. I've seen some people pull out guns and shoot people when their backs are turned. Honestly most I'll do in a situation like that is to tell them to keep their distance or I'll shoot them.

I still think back to when I was being chased by Zombies as a noob. Like a dumbass, I ran into a house that had no back door and the zombies were blocking the only exit out. All of a sudden, I see this blur by the window, hear automatic machine gun fire, and all of the zombies drop dead. A player in a ghille suit pops in, stares at me for a few moments, then runs back out. I never see him again nor could I thank him.

It beats yesterday when I was running and got my head sniped off in mid sprint.

I still think back to when I was being chased by Zombies as a noob. Like a dumbass, I ran into a house that had no back door and the zombies were blocking the only exit out. All of a sudden, I see this blur by the window, hear automatic machine gun fire, and all of the zombies drop dead. A player in a ghille suit pops in, stares at me for a few moments, then runs back out. I never see him again nor could I thank him.

It beats yesterday when I was running and got my head sniped off in mid sprint.

:angry:

For the record: If you're not a woman or a child and there was a real zombie apocalypse going on, I would kill you first opportunity and use your muscles to feed myself and bait more zombies. So I'd do it in-game if it let me.

No you wouldn't. I really get a kick out of people like you. Acting like you would be the biggest baddest zombie apocalypse survivor of all time, when in reality you would probably huddle in a corner and piss your pants the first time some crazy infected human tried eating your face off. You don't respawn in real life. So would you really go running through town like a moron, sprinting, screaming, being chased by zombies, see a survivor and cap him while running by? I call absolute 100% BS and you know it to be true. Most humans would try and band together to overcome the infection and try to survive as a group. As they say, safety in numbers. You'd of course, have some people who betray and some people who would be the bandit sort. However, the vast majority of people would be more interested in surviving. Everyone would have weapons, and not many would want to get into a gun fight. And my reasoning for this, again... is...

YOU DON'T RESPAWN IN REAL LIFE.

No you wouldn't. I really get a kick out of people like you. Acting like you would be the biggest baddest zombie apocalypse survivor of all time, when in reality you would probably huddle in a corner and piss your pants the first time some crazy infected human tried eating your face off. You don't respawn in real life. So would you really go running through town like a moron, sprinting, screaming, being chased by zombies, see a survivor and cap him while running by? I call absolute 100% BS and you know it to be true. Most humans would try and band together to overcome the infection and try to survive as a group. As they say, safety in numbers. You'd of course, have some people who betray and some people who would be the bandit sort. However, the vast majority of people would be more interested in surviving. Everyone would have weapons, and not many would want to get into a gun fight. And my reasoning for this, again... is...

Don't even bother man. There seems to be a whole cult of 11 year olds in this game committed to the belief that when humans are under situations of danger and limited resources they all run around fragging each other like it was one giant game of free for all Call of Duty. This is realistic apparently and if you don't want the game to be this way you're a Lolscrubn00b who should play an mmo.

I think a lot of this depends on the stage of the world and the stage of the infection at that time. Sure enough humans would try to keep their humanity and try to live and work together, at first. As long as they believe in any kind of authority returning, they would also be afraid of having to face consequences for their actions. But in "the Road" you can see how it works when there is absolutely nothing left and it's either you or him. In "Platoon" you see how war makes people think about their own survival more than about comradery and playing on the same team.

I think it is legit to say, people would be fighting each other deathmatch style at some point. However, in Dayz, there is an abundance of food, medicine and weapons. This is the first stage of the apocalypse - not the last - so to shoot people now and run around like idiots has no other meaning and purpose than shooting somone and running around like an idiot.

Edited by S3V3N