paxtonmega

Banditry exploded

*SPOILER ALERT* (if you haven't seen the movie)

At the end the father dies, but the child gets rescued by another family which does NOT shoot the child and his dying father on sight! Instead, the other family stalked them for some time to be able to judge if they pose a threat to them, and then decided to approach them peacefully and offer company.

Most of the people complaining about KoS in Day Z do not want to turn the mod into a Carebare Land, they just want a potentially positive survivor encounter once in a while.

In the movies you can show a lot of nuances but not in a video game. In DayZ you have not a lot of way to see if someone is friendly or if he is lying (friendly dance, salute, weapon lowering, surrender). So people shoot first and ask question later since they are scared to loose their gear and start all over again. Personnally there's a long time I met somebody not in my group since I was killed or killed them before any questions was asked. It's a shame but it works like that. Even people who claim they are friendly clan or whatever friendly group will play in a very agressive maner and only for their crew.

When the mod started I had some nice encounter with people but they were mostly from the core ArmA2 community which is more mature and more coop orientated, it doesn't happen anymore. Lately some of my friends met people to trade and loot together for a while and split up later so it still can happen but it is rare, very rare. IMHO you can have more friendly encounter in veteran servers (no CH, no 3DP). Also, you can't meet friendlies in Cherno, Electro or NW airfield but I guess you allready know that.

There's different play style. i.e I'm a player who shoot ONLY if I am threaten. Pretty much like the father in the movie. There's other people who enjoy hunting and killing people just for fun. There's another kind of players who shoot on sight to loot your body. There's players who like to have social interaction with others. I respect all playing style but with the lack of behaviour nuances in a video game it's very hard to know who is friendly and who is lying then most people choose to ALWAYS follow the rule number one which is "trust noone".

cya.

Nikiller.

Edited by Nikiller

There is a huge difference between banditry and senseless noob killing. Bandits only target elite players of those with gear needed by the bandit. Dick heads with as50's in cherno and elektro arent bandits. They are pathetic losers that die to ppl like me all the time. Hence they head right back to cherno.

Bandits fight in the north. Fact.

Edited by Delta Smoke 01

there's noone you can trust in this game. our whole clan shoots on site. questions will be asked after they die. it's the only way to survive.

lol yeah that unarmed dude might punch you to death. NO QUESTIONS

lol yeah that unarmed dude might punch you to death. NO QUESTIONS

Its not always possible to see or even register if someone is unarmed or not, most of the time you have to react quickly or your chances of dying increase significantly.

That said if I see someone unarmed and I recognise them as unarmed, I won't necessarily shoot them. Doesn't mean I won't shoot them depending on the circumstances but at least I won't automatically shoot them.

If someone has their back to me and they are between me and an exit, they're going to get shot, a few times this has happened and it transpired that the person was unarmed, that's hard luck and that's DayZ.

• Like 1

I think if people were simply shooting each other to survive, and newbies off the coast had to intention of killing each other, you wouldn't see so much PVP action in cherno or elektro aside from low-geared players shooting it out with double barrels and makarovs.

Fact is, most of the best loot is at the NW airfield, and newbs spawn on the coast. So, when I see people with M107s sniping unarmed people running around cherno, I don't buy that they're doing it just to survive, or even that they're bored and looking for PVP action. They're looking for victims that don't know how to fight back, or that do know how but can't yet.

On the other hand, being geared with an assault weapon and going into town with a mission and killing other players that pose a threat to you - hey, now that is banditry, and that makes the game exciting.

• Like 3

I got a couple shit hot weapons from deer huts in the past. M4A1 Aimpoint with several STANAG magazines.

True, true. I guess what I meant to say is that most people THINK the good stuff is at NW, and thats where the experienced players converge.

If everyone dying at NW was geared up, and everyone dying at cherno/elektro was starting out or had low tier weapons, and in the middle like stary sobor you had people that learned to get out of the noob zone but weren't experienced/coordinated enough for NW yet, I would say great - a natural progression of both skill and aggression. When I see people hitting up stary and NW, then going back to cherno to fight with people that aren't at their level, thats not banditry. Thats just looking for someone to pick on.

• Like 3

no i think you missed the point COD is a zero sum game becasue any exchange results in -1 ofr player A +1 for player B

Dayz however isnt, an encounter could result in -40 for 1 player while the other player only risks -2, so the player is more likley to take the posative move for them, so geared ppl more foten then not shoot first given the chance, now ungeared people attacking someone with other gear risk -1 (random unit assigned) but because they get all the other guys gear the stand to gain +3 or +10 gear score gain, again the posative move for that player is to charge him down with an axe

that one is kill on sight becasue thats what the game is, it is designed to have very clear friend/enemy dynamics with no thought required, that guys in grey shoot, that guys in green dont shoot thats it

now dayz isnt that clear cut, and becasue a simple +1/-1 k/d ratio isnt whats at stake, and in almost every scenario killing someone gives the greater benefit then letting them go or teaming up with them, couple this with the darkside of mans psychology and you get people killing each other just incase or for gear

im not talking about the people just camping a beach shooting people before they have taken two steps for the lulz thats a different mattr and requires a different solution

Wow are you STILL talking about what the game actually is and not about my point about KoS gameplay, if you could read you would know I never said the game was zero sum in actuality. You must have some type of mental disorder, that or your English comprehension skills are fucking awful.

you simply said put radios in that will fix everything, you didnt explain how they would work, how you would get them, how would communication be handled by them

I have done on numerous threads, cba explaining again just for you sorry.

i have to guess what you mean by a statment becasue for someone so well educated as your self in the sciences you must know that making a statment means nothing unless its a statment about somthing everyone already understands, other wise a small amount of quantifying goes a long way

i gave 3 possible ways it could be implemented, rather then give your own or rework one of mine you again just went 'no no no your an idoit im super smart lalalalala' -_- welldone

if they are implemented for all players on a single channel this is nothing more then global chat

if they are implemented as a findable item then they are only semi useful in thier function of comunnication with other players, becasue not everyone has them

if they are usable like mini chat rooms where people are invited in to increase communication in a team(as ive seen sugegsted before) this again does nothing for the kos becasue of lack of communication argument becasue you cant communicate if they arnt already invited into your channel, and basically provide an ingame ts or skype

so maybe stop showing how good at yoga you are by pulling your head out your ass and your foot out your mouth and put a littl effort into explaining what it is your trying to suggest instead of making half assed comments with no context added so people understand how the suggestion works

I'm not bothering to counter your 3 options because they are all stupid. Look up how radio mods work in Arma II before you start trying to throw your "infalliable analysis" around. (also that is literally the dumbest criterion of meaning I have ever heard)

it seems not only gangs but police can and do operate on a shoot on sight policy to their enemies, in the case of the biker ganags its more usually beat them into a nice long stay in hospital on sight, ganags dont use shoot on sight but mid 80's early 90's standing on the wrong corner with the wrong coloured T-shirt could get you shot even though you had nothing to do with either gang (the territory your stood on, on the assocaited gang colour your t-shirt is)

Way to defeat your own argument (you clearly don't know the meaning of indiscriminately). You'll probably think something stupid at this point like "but why do you think you're not my enemy" which totally misses the point, it's just you in your stupid egocentricity think I'm talking about you personally. Within this game as it is, everyone is everyone's enemy except for those that meet outside the game.

please give better responses then just 'no dont like it so must be wrong' and maybe the responses will improve, when i dont really know what your arguing for the best i can do is a scatter shot and hope i hit the mark before you start moving the goalposts again

You can't make a silk purse out of a dead goat and nor can you attempt a serious debate with someone how keeps missing the point everytime and just keeps repeating the same irrelevant crap over and over. People like you are so numerous on the Internet, you talk about a bunch of academic stuff to try and appear intelligent and knowledgable but in reality you can't even follow an argument. You keep people like pinker in book royalties

Edited by Huntra

Re: #184 Yup, it's what the pricks do, Gear up 'n' hit the coast. There's a good few who camp the points leading up to the Airfield and the Airfield itself in case someone happens by for an easy kill. Should probably steer clear of those if you're new. Although it makes sense, while I agree it's the 'strong' picking on the 'weak', predators will always work their way towards prey, and so it is with us if we're hunting. Most of us won't just wait until they come to us, we'll normally go looking for them.

Edited by ninjaholic

I've only been studying dayz for a month and playing for a week. There's no way I'd go north. I hate going into Cherno and go round it when I can. The problems with the big groups taking the north is the smaller groups and solos hang around elektro and cherno. Spawning's scarey but you got to grit your teeth and do it.

I feel for you. If I had a gun (and had somehow learned to shoot it) I would use it to defend myself but I meant what I said, when I joined this game, I'm not here to kill anyone who isn't dead already. :)

I've only been studying dayz for a month and playing for a week. There's no way I'd go north. I hate going into Cherno and go round it when I can. The problems with the big groups taking the north is the smaller groups and solos hang around elektro and cherno. Spawning's scarey but you got to grit your teeth and do it.

I feel for you. If I had a gun (and had somehow learned to shoot it) I would use it to defend myself but I meant what I said, when I joined this game, I'm not here to kill anyone who isn't dead already. :)

I think you'll eventually learn that you don't have to kill those that aren't dead yet.

The only time I ever kill zombies is when its more convenient than running around them (and it almost always is).

I rarely, if ever, fire a shot at a zombie in the city because it alerts other players that I am in the area. Also, I usually don't shoot the zombies with anything more than a makarov or a 1911 because I don't want them all to converge on my location. Out in the open, if I've got a zombie trailing me across a field forever, I might turn around a shoot him, but just because I'm tired of hearing him moan behind me, not because I need to.

I think you'll eventually learn that you don't have to kill those that aren't dead yet.

The only time I ever kill zombies is when its more convenient than running around them (and it almost always is).

I rarely, if ever, fire a shot at a zombie in the city because it alerts other players that I am in the area. Also, I usually don't shoot the zombies with anything more than a makarov or a 1911 because I don't want them all to converge on my location. Out in the open, if I've got a zombie trailing me across a field forever, I might turn around a shoot him, but just because I'm tired of hearing him moan behind me, not because I need to.

And sadly thats why zombies are more of an annoyance than anything significant. Hopefully Dean sees it that way too and isn't satisfied - if so, one day it will be more important than the worry of players

Edited by Venick

Meanwhile, murder rates are roughly the same and banditry is down compared to a month ago and both are lower than they were a month before that when the bandit skin was still in the game. And life expectancy has nearly doubled in the last 8 weeks.

So does "exploded" mean "remains roughly the same" now? Or am I missing something?

Juts once I wish we could have a discussion that wasn't kicked off by some ridiculously hyperbolic statement that is proven demonstrably false on the front page of the very same website on which the discussion is taking place.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

Reminds me of those days when I played WoW. Higher levels would run to the lower level zones and kill whoever they could. I guess they get a kick out of it or get a power trip? Whatever its rather pathetic.

In dayz I can understand the shoot first thing if you have good gear and in a major city. Plus you can't trust anyone. Last night a mate contacted me via Steam and said him and his buddys trusted a new guy on the server and after about 20min opened fire on them. The guy was killed but so was 2 of his buddies (and him).

If you want to co-op get a friend (my brother plays with me somtimes and its SO much more fun to co-op). Its what others do. You can't really trust strangers.

I'm one of the culprits I admit; I'm new to the game and more often than not players have shot me without asking questions, so I figured that's just how it is.

But FWIW if it's a recent increase it probably coincided with ArmA II going on sale for the Steam Summer Sale. That causes a massive influx of idiots in most games as new players come in and vastly outnumber the folks who "know how it's supposed to work," so to speak.

• Like 1

unfortunately this happened to me last night as well. i am not a new player, but i ran to the coast to help some friends who just got the game, and got shot. not a big deal, i laughed at that. then when i spawned, i ran through kamenka and found nothing but tin cans, as all the other gear worth anything had already been taken. where had it been taken i wondered? when i got to cherno with a trusty crowbar i was shot while trying to get into the fire station. okay, whatever. that happens. then i spawned in elektro, on the pier, began to move into the city and was shot when i stopped to adjust my video settings. spawned again, shot the moment i got anywhere near a place where i could find gear. i never found my friends, and i tried to move in land, saying to heck with the cities. starved to death because i could not find anything to eat. it was pretty bad. basically i was just wanting to start playing, but i never really did. i ended up just going to bed after hours of play with nothing to show for it. just hours of being killed over and over. i do not mind it, but i just wish when i spawn in these little towns that arent cherno or elektro, i can find equipment and food to keep me from having to go to cherno or elektro.

I hate it when noobs play a multiplayer game and only want to shoot NPC zombies. Theres an internet connection for a reason retards!

You say you are anti-bandit but the whole point of this is for human interaction. If the human interaction is me bullying you and taking your stuff thats the whole point of the game.

Carebears who just shoot zombies all day are also part of this so thats fine.

Anti bandits acting as a police force are fine too.

Also umadbro

Edited by tootmaimington

You must be retarded lets say im in one of the cafe's in elektro and someone comes up of course im gonna instantly shoot him im not gonna take my time to say "friendly? hey dude you friendly? use caps lock to talk" then they shoot me first..

I hate it when noobs play a multiplayer game and only want to shoot NPC zombies. Theres an internet connection for a reason retards!

Non-retards might have also noticed that coop games have become increasingly popular over the last years and also require an internet connection.

You must be retarded lets say im in one of the cafe's in elektro and someone comes up of course im gonna instantly shoot him im not gonna take my time to say "friendly? hey dude you friendly? use caps lock to talk" then they shoot me first..

That's understandable - and that's exactly why the game needs to offer more incentive not to shoot on sight. It has to come from the gameplay mechanics, not from the people.

• Like 1

What's really irritating is that.. People get a thrill off shooting unarmed players, just previously I was scouting unarmed in the forest and was shot instantly, Oh lawd.

fear not, for things will surely improve once the wise DayZ gods bless us with the 5-second disconnect timer.

this ground breaking system of putting the player in a corner will surely spawn a new wave of player thinking, a new wave of free-love promoting players that when faced with danger will simply throw up their hands, hug each other and start making sweet sensual love on the floor of the military barracks....... just like rocket intended from day 1. :|

now i still sometimes consider not shooting. give me a little time. i'll be at fire-first in no time <_<