Sign in to follow this  
hazzard65

Temperature

Really like it! The concept really aids the survivor experience of the game. Obviously it needs tweaking and balance but I believe the concept has real potential.

For the first time in a game, when's it's sunny, I get this strange sense of being warm and dry. I appreciate the sun more now and nights become something to really consider and prepare for. When it's raining, I 'feel' wet and cold.

It's a feeling I've never had in a game before, the sense of hot and cold. It's such a strange sensation and I love it! With the addition of a few graphical aids and further the illusion of heat and cold (breath) I can really see this working well when balanced properly.

I've been alive for over 2 days now and I was beginning to find the whole thing to be a bit of a cake walk (even though I am probably about to die, but only because of a bug which wouldn't let me stand up or move after being knocked unconscious by a zombie in a particularly dangerous area).

I really look forward to seeing where this goes!

Really like it! The concept really aids the survivor experience of the game. Obviously it needs tweaking and balance but I believe the concept has real potential.

For the first time in a game' date=' when's it's sunny, I get this strange sense of being warm and dry. I appreciate the sun more now and nights become something to really consider and prepare for. When it's raining, I 'feel' wet and cold.

It's a feeling I've never had in a game before, the sense of hot and cold. It's such a strange sensation and I love it! With the addition of a few graphical aids and further the illusion of heat and cold (breath) I can really see this working well when balanced properly.

I've been alive for over 2 days now and I was beginning to find the whole thing to be a bit of a cake walk (even though I am probably about to die, but only because of a bug which wouldn't let me stand up or move after being knocked unconscious by a zombie in a particularly dangerous area).

I really look forward to seeing where this goes!

[/quote']

The need to find shelter is a very compelling addition to the game. Having to "hunker down" and build a fire during a rain storm to keep warm whilst on an extended operation is a very unique gaming experiance.

We had to keep sending a squad off to find firewood every so often so we can hold our position out in the wilderness. Very enjoyable, it adds so much!

Like it too. Especially when rain is coming and all looking for shelter. Need some Vodka for extra warming your self

I like the idea, especially about finding shelter when it rains but having just respawned on the coast and searching for wood and matches fruitlessly in two towns it felt like I had a countdown timer which will just make me careless in towns to save time.

As I said, it does need balancing certainly :).

Try grocery stores... we found two piles of wood in there the other day.

It's an excellent concept for sure, once the balancing and tweaks have been made it will really add to the game. I think it will lead to other good/useful features too such as having the ability to find better clothes/skins such as winter clothing, water proofs and so on. Could lead to having a change of cloths for warmer weather to prevent over heating maybe, that sort of thing.

I like the idea' date=' especially about finding shelter when it rains but having just respawned on the coast and searching for wood and matches fruitlessly in two towns it felt like I had a countdown timer which will just make me careless in towns to save time.

[/quote']

Head inland and look for barns, I find piles of wood in them.

There are two problem, unreasonably fast temperature loss for no reason and rocket is offline for almost two days already to tweak it.

I found it quite hard to keep warm when I was playing yesterday. I think if the temperature system remains as it is survivors should start with a box of matches to be able to make fires to keep warm.

The temperature effects aren't permanent. Even the worst case of the chills can be fixed... it's just that initial survivability hump.

Personally I think the bigger the hump the better. It should be very difficult to survive when you first start out. It makes every day you survive and invest in bolstering your survivability that much more valuable.

The idea of the game is not combat against players and zombies (even though that is possible) the driving force, the core of the concept is to survive an extremely inhospitable scenario/ landscape.

...Personally I think the bigger the hump the better...

That's what SHE said! :D

I like the idea' date=' especially about finding shelter when it rains but having just respawned on the coast and searching for wood and matches fruitlessly in two towns it felt like I had a countdown timer which will just make me careless in towns to save time.

[/quote']

how does this help with matches? wood is everywhere, matches not so much... even though they are one of the most plentiful manufactured items in the world

I hope we are able to cut down trees in the near future... Or take them from the piles of wood by some of the houses!

I hope we are able to cut down trees in the near future... Or take them from the piles of wood by some of the houses!

I think rocket is going to add an axe or something soon.

The temp feature doesn't seem to work for me at night, I stay at tempval 100 all the time. Maybe the beans keep me hot :/

I personally think you should be able to just wonder the forest and find random drops of small kindling and a few logs here and there.

[/quote']

how does this help with matches? wood is everywhere, matches not so much... even though they are one of the most plentiful manufactured items in the world

Enterable houses and supermarkets tend to have them very often.

Well imo you lose temp at a okay speed but gaining is hell, in reality if you run with lots of items and same clothes as the survivor you will get warm quite fast while in DayZ you run 2 minutes and still stay same temp pretty much.

I've only played for a (very rainy) evening but I have noticed the following:

- When it is dry, temperature stablises when running

- Sitting indoors only stops temperature drop

- Fires raise body tempeature at a steady rate, even when it is pissing it down

- Sitting in a vehicle raises your temperature slowly, our Huey was nice and toasty dispite the wide open side doors :P

I'd like to see sitting indoors raise body temperature at a slow rate, maybe not while it is raining (soaked clothing and all). At least that way the new players whom haven't located matches won't catch their death of cold so easily.

It would also make grabbing shelter much more desirable.