Daddy'o (DayZ)

vehicle "hoarding", what the hell is it?

This has been clogging up in my nerve central and I have to get it out of my system.

Time to time we see threads about vehicle hoarding, how it's unfair and ruining the game play for others, such as casuals. Every time this topic is discussed or viewed we get a rather large influx of people posting and playing the blame game.

This just seems rather ridiculous to me and so I made this topic, to humbly ask for an explanation that would clarify to me how it's unfair exactly, and how is it ruining anyone's play time, casual or not.

I'll try to sum up in a simple example how my mind comprehends the vehicle situation, and it goes like this:

Vehicle 1 has a spawn point at location A.

Vehicle 2 has a spawn point at location B.

Vehicle 3 has a spawn point at location C.

Person 1 finds vehicle 1 at A and moves it to a camp site far north, being location D.

Person 1 also finds vehicle 2 at B and moves it to the same camp site at location D. He's now effectively "hoarding" vehicles.

Person 2 finds vehicle 3 at C and drives around until someone shoots him and the fate of the car is unknown.

Person 3 finds vehicles 1 and 2 at location D and proceeds to take vehicle 1 and shoot out the tyres off vehicle 2 for shits n giggles.

Now explain to me, what is the difference between person 2 and person 3? How has the person 1 influenced the process of finding a vehicle for them? Because it would seem to me, the only thing that changed is the location from A and B to location D.

What difference does it make if a person finds a vehicle at D instead of A, B or C? My common sense is saying that the answer is absolutely nothing. It actually seems that person 3 is happier than person 2 because he found 2 vehicles instead of 1 even if he only took one. Chances are he found a good camp site with tents filled with good lewt. He also has the satisfaction of ruining someones day good n proper.

I'm going to say it like this: You can't hoard vehicles. You could when it was possible to park them 15km outside of the map, but now that you can't do it anymore, all vehicles are on the visible map for anyone to stumble upon, be it location A, B, C or D.

Argue me please.

Edited by Daddy'o
  • Like 8

Honestly, I would think it's rarer than everyone claims. Spent last 2 days running through W and N forests. Found a number of vehicles, but always just a single one, parked under some tree. Found tents too, but rarely more than 2-3 at the same place.

You must have down syndrome/dyslexia so I will keep this simple.

Clan A) hides all vehicles at campsite A)

Player B) does not find any vehicles due to clans hiding them all

The.Fucking.End.

Edited by v1ktor
  • Like 8

You must have down syndrome/dyslexia so I will keep this simple.

Clan A) hides all vehicles at campsite A)

Player B) does not find any vehicles due to clans hiding them all

The.Fucking.End.

And when player B) walks in to their camp? How is it different than finding the car from a random spawn location?

Also, I appreciate the concern for my health you're showing, and I would feel better if you yourself took some tests, you know, just to put my mind at ease.

Edited by Daddy'o
  • Like 7

Location A is next to noob spawn. Noob needs that bike to get to his friends in a reasonable amout of time.

Location D is next to some veteran's collection on the other side of the map. Veteran needs that bike so he can masturbate looking at his collection.

Is that unfair? you tell me.

• Like 5

Location A is next to noob spawn. Noob needs that bike to get to his friends in a reasonable amout of time.

Location D is next to some veteran's collection on the other side of the map. Veteran needs that bike so he can masturbate looking at his collection.

Is that unfair? you tell me.

You're assuming people who don't hoard vehicles (in other words owns 1 car or such) stashes it close to the coast, which rarely happens. Most likely people who don't hoard vehicles and do not collect them still take them as far away from high traffic areas such as the coast.

EDIT: And if you figure that stashing vehicles in general is considered hoarding, would you go through the trouble of fixing a vehicle just to drive it from A to B and then just leave behind? I don't think so.

Edited by Daddy'o

If someone goes through the massive trouble of repairing a vehicle (sometimes several hours of running around finding parts), then they should be well within their rights to try and hide the vehicle so they can continue to enjoy the fruits of their labor; whether he has other vehicles or not.

• Like 5

OP raises an interesting point. The only difference between his "Persons 2, 3" is that Person 2 found his vehicle at a known spawn location, Person 3 did not.

In other words, people look up spawn locations, run to location expecting to find easy vehicles, find that the vehicle is no longer at spawn location, and then proceed to complain on forums that "exploiters" are "hoarding" vehicles.

On the other hand, people such as Person 3 who spend time exploring the map can find vehicles hidden at non-spawn locations fairly easily (I know I do).

• Like 6

Well these people found and repaired the cars, so they got it fair and square. If they want to hoard the cars and bikes they put the effort into repairing then fine.

This has been clogging up in my nerve central and I have to get it out of my system.

Time to time we see threads about vehicle hoarding, how it's unfair and ruining the game play for others, such as casuals. Every time this topic is discussed or viewed we get a rather large influx of people posting and playing the blame game.

This just seems rather ridiculous to me and so I made this topic, to humbly ask for an explanation that would clarify to me how it's unfair exactly, and how is it ruining anyone's play time, casual or not.

I'll try to sum up in a simple example how my mind comprehends the vehicle situation, and it goes like this:

Vehicle 1 has a spawn point at location A.

Vehicle 2 has a spawn point at location B.

Vehicle 3 has a spawn point at location C.

Person 1 finds vehicle 1 at A and moves it to a camp site far north, being location D.

Person 1 also finds vehicle 2 at B and moves it to the same camp site at location D. He's now effectively "hoarding" vehicles.

Person 2 finds vehicle 3 at C and drives around until someone shoots him and the fate of the car is unknown.

Person 3 finds vehicles 1 and 2 at location D and proceeds to take vehicle 1 and shoot out the tyres off vehicle 2 for shits n giggles.

Now explain to me, what is the difference between person 2 and person 3? How has the person 1 influenced the process of finding a vehicle for them? Because it would seem to me, the only thing that changed is the location from A and B to location D.

What difference does it make if a person finds a vehicle at D instead of A, B or C? My common sense is saying that the answer is absolutely nothing. It actually seems that person 3 is happier than person 2 because he found 2 vehicles instead of 1 even if he only took one. Chances are he found a good camp site with tents filled with good lewt. He also has the satisfaction of ruining someones day good n proper.

I'm going to say it like this: You can't hoard vehicles. You could when it was possible to park them 15km outside of the map, but now that you can't do it anymore, all vehicles are on the visible map for anyone to stumble upon, be it location A, B, C or D.

Argue me please.

person 3 never finds vehicle 1 and 2 because it is hidden. infact, thats why you hid it, to ensure that he wont find it, so you defeat your own argument. person 1 knows that vehicle a and b wont be found, and thats why he is hoarding them. just because something is still on the map doesnt mean it has the same chance of being found as if it were in its natural spawn point.

Edited by tfninja
  • Like 2

I think the problem that many people have with this, is that everyone who is actively farming for a vehicle is running along the known spawn points.

And everyone knows them, because of all the maps about dayZ spawn locations out there.

So essentially those hoarding players are changing the "vehicle farming experience" for others from farming known, relatively safe locations to farming unknown, relatively dangerous areas.

As to wether that's good or bad, I don't know. There are obviously pros and cons. Maybe it's initially harder to get around to finding a vehicle. But once you do, chances are actually pretty good that there's some really good gear in the trunk.

• Like 1

So essentially those hoarding players are changing the "vehicle farming experience" for others from farming known, relatively safe locations to farming unknown, relatively dangerous areas.

Those 3 words make me laugh so hard I need to pee. If vehicles always respawned instead of remaining hoarded the spawns would be camped and be even more dangerous than looking out in the forest for them.

• Like 2

It would be nice if vehicle spawns were random so that person A can't just run straight to it every time they're reset.

Have fun collecting your toys.

• Like 3

I think we should just take vehicles completely out of the game. In the 400+ hours I've put into DayZ I've seen 1 ATV, 1 blown up ATV on it's side, one huey flying overhead shooting at me, and one 4x4 pickup truck. I actually got to ride the ATV for about 30 seconds before some dude shot me off the back of it.

I never get to play with the vehicles anyways. Just get rid of them. No more vehicle hogging asshats.

I hate that clan member (the server clan) takes all the fucking vehicles and doesnt use them. They might use them when there is like 10-20 ppl in and they often are 4-5 ppl using a shitty car aswell.

Devteam should change that cars that havent been used in 24H should be relocated or respawned.

• Like 1

I think we should just take vehicles completely out of the game. In the 400+ hours I've put into DayZ I've seen 1 ATV, 1 blown up ATV on it's side, one huey flying overhead shooting at me, and one 4x4 pickup truck. I actually got to ride the ATV for about 30 seconds before some dude shot me off the back of it.

I never get to play with the vehicles anyways. Just get rid of them. No more vehicle hogging asshats.

Cry more. "If I can't have them no one should"

• Like 7

Those 3 words make me laugh so hard I need to pee. If vehicles always respawned instead of remaining hoarded the spawns would be camped and be even more dangerous than looking out in the forest for them.

lol, get a grip ;)

But seriously, if vehicles were always respawned they would be a lot less attractive. Who would even farm those spots for more than a minute when all they're worth for you is to bring you from one place to another once ??

Really, I think that's a terrible idea, I hope they never do that. But they could potentially do something like limit every player to saving only one car, you know? I really think these kind of changes would be long term stuff though. That would really need a lot of work and I don't see Rocket (& team) wasting time on these little details right now.

Edited by c4tch22
  • Like 1

I've satcheled vehicles i've had before when I log back into notice my truck or bike is missing I blow the charges.

person 3 never finds vehicle 1 and 2 because it is hidden. infact, thats why you hid it, to ensure that he wont find it, so you defeat your own argument. person 1 knows that vehicle a and b wont be found, and thats why he is hoarding them. just because something is still on the map doesnt mean it has the same chance of being found as if it were in its natural spawn point.

I myself have have been person 1 and 3 mostly. I went north. Established a camp site 1.5km north of the north eastern airfield. Then I headed west in a semi direct line, running both in the gorge and on the northern border hills. It took me 4 trips to reach the north west airfield, because I kept running in to stashed vehicles. I found 1 white pickup truck, UAZ, some kind of a military vehicle of another sort and finally an ATV. All within 1 hour. I drove em all back to base, and hid them in the most effin secluded region on the map with other 4 vehicles I had found in the northern woods in the previous week. On the same day, someone walked in on the stash and stole the UAZ and blew up the rest for shits n giggles.

Point is, person 3 most definitely finds vehicles because there is no such thing as hidden in DayZ. Anything you TRY to hide will be found sooner or later. Only a matter of time. Try it if you think it's that simple.

My point still stands.

Edited by Daddy'o

I've satcheled vehicles i've had before when I log back into notice my truck or bike is missing I blow the charges.

I doubt satchels survive a server restart.

One week is way too long for unused vehicles to respawn. Make it 2 days max. If you don't use the vehicle and just hoard it for whatever neurotic reasons, then it could as well be used for more interesting stuff elsewhere.

Nothing wrong with finding a vehicle and hiding it somewhere else to use it the next day or have it discovered by people looking for it. But hoarders hide them kilometers off the map, doing nothing with them, effectively removing them from gameplay. They are hindering alpha testing with their personal issues.

Vehicles will be reset anyways from time to time. There is absolutely no point in hoarding them and not using them.

• Like 1

2 days wont be enough. Any small group could get into a vehicle, start it, turn it off and hop out and we'd still have this pokemon hoarding problem.

At one stage we had 5 vehicles between 3 of us on one server, I felt like a hoarder

OP, you are wrong. Please, please, please understand the difference between one person finding a vehicle in a town (high chance) and another person hiding all the cars in one location.

Yes, nothing is "hidden" in dayz but not many people are going to stumble upon 3 cars that are parked in the most remote part of the map. It ruins it for everyone else. If you want to find a car, you shouldn't have to go out into the forrest were some idiot has hidden 3... you should find it in a town or a road, where it should be.

• Like 2