ScottishOwl

Why does everyone want me dead?

6. Connection breakages, random kicks, server reboots... All of these tend to screw up those few times you might actually temporarily coop with some random encounter. All of those few coop times I've had in this game (ones that did not end in getting backstabbed), ended to some of those. The breakages might not be a problem for any people who are cooping using TS/mumble/etc. as they can re-organize the group to another server when those issues occur, but with some random encounter, it's basically the end of the coop session.

This.

This just happened to me today.

I got booted from the server (or it reset) I couldn't find him again.

And it was the first (and only time so far) that I've found another friendly.

It's funny how when you finally get something good going, the game throws a bug your way that almost makes you cry.

There needs to be something done to encourage team play a bit, no question about that. It's a complex issue however AND whatever is done will not significantly reduce killing on sight. A friend of mine got the game recently and I've been helping him to learn controls and basic day z stuff. Yesterday we played for the first time, communicating via Skype we figured out he was in Elektro. He entered a fire station and while searching for loot he encountered another human player:

Friend: Some guy just entered the building!

Me: Is he armed?

Friend: He has a crowbar...

Friend: Hehe, he is saluting me.

Me: Nice, ask him if...

Friend: I got him!

Me: What?

Friend: I shot him.

Me: Why??

Friend: .......

Even though our plan was not to play as bandits, and certaintly not shoot unarmed people, he still shot the guy even though he only had a crowbar and appeared to be a friendly. When I asked him why, he couldn't explain, just said his instinct was to kill him. For some reason this seems to be the case with most people.

that is when you kill your friend for being a dbag..lol. it is a game after all. but KOS is pretty out of hand at this point.

This kind of annoys me as well. I've been shot so many times just trying to scavenge to find food to say alive without any weapons in my hands, sometimes just an axe. I even salute then crouch to show my intentions.

The CoD kiddies need to realize that just because you can shoot someone, doesn't mean you have to.

However for this to actually work and become a success there has to be consequences for actions, just like in the real world.

i declare myself friendly only if

1. I am in one of the major cities

2. I have tactical advantage over the stranger (snuck behind him or shotgun versus pistol)

3. I have friends with me and/or i am not outnumbered

4. They/he/she is not aiming at me or they r unarmed

If one of these conditions fail i usually shoot on sight

I guess a lot of ppl use have pretty similar approaches as me cuz i never met a friendly stranger outside major cities

This is def not the most humane approach, but it keeps u alive

I really dont know, sometimes I can understand people killing me, for example you, sir sniper 1337 pro sees me, a guy off spawn walking around with a crowbar, then you notice ive got an alice pack, so fair enough you want it you take from the other end of the map with your cowardice. But im in a barn just off spawn get a heat pack and a bandage, see a guy come in, yell dont shoot and get blasted in the face, I DIDNT HAVE A GUN and people seem to think every player is a threat, I honestly dont want to have a zombie apocalypse with people this day and age, no trust and only looking out for themselves.... sigh people have got to trust a bit more, or at least check the person before you shoot

I kill people for stuff I don't need, but if I'm in a kind mood, I'll drive you all the way from Cherno to Elektro to Berezino and back.

I'll also give you food and drinks.

Edited by ExESGO

I have some advice for you that may or may not help.

1. I never kill anyone who has no gun, however if they have an axe or crowbar and they come running at me I will not hesitate.

2. I will kill anyone I see in high risk areas unless rule 1 applies. These areas are basically Cherno, Elektro, Balota, Stary and NWAF.

3. In small areas I won't shoot on sight if I see the player, I will do either one of two things. I will make an escape without them noticing or try to make contact.

4. If you try to make contact with some one make sure you are behind cover and can see them at all times. Never leave yourself out in the open because if they open fire you are dead.

5. Anyone with a scoped weapon (ranged scopes, not kobra sight ect) are bandits. No man carries a scoped weapon to kill Zeds. These people I will kill on sight.

6. The better the loot someone has the more wary you should be of them, most of that good loot was not obtained by finding it.

7. If someone enters your backpack without permission or you give them permission but they take something that you did not say they could have, kill them.

8. If you meet up with someone who has no weapons and you give them a weapon never turn your back on them, insist the leave first.

9. If using a mic, when using direct com don't sound like a girl scout. You want whoever you are talking to you to think you mean business. Example, a friend and I were looting the balota airfield . In the hangar I found an AK74u-Kobra, a guy ran passed and saw us, over direct com he stated he had no weapons, relying back to rule 1 I let him live but I said to him in a firm voice that he was to continue in the direction he was going in and if I saw him again I would kill him. He agreed and left.

10. Never turn your back on someone you have just met.

I have killed before for loot, however I will never kill for no reason. Even when I kill for loot it has to be very well worth it because killing someone in this game is a big thing. It's a lot harsher than other games, if you kill someone you are seriously going to screw up their day. Anyway I hope these tips help you to survive whilst not having to kill heartlessly.

• Like 3

I see it a little bit differently: I'd rather get shot by a scared survivor than shoot him myself, because why not - it doesn't take too long to gear up again (and I actually like scavenging for the essentials, all I need is binoculars and a winchester or some other good zombie gun) and at least I'm setting an example that this guy can choose to follow (naturally some people just like to grief and will never change - those guys I'm just hoping to get bored of it all eventually).

That being said, I am cautious and use many of the methods Chewsta outlined in his excellent post above: I give food and guns, but not directly - leaving them in a nearby shack and telling the guy where to find them is a good way to avoid getting assraped with your own Makarov. I don't usually band up with survivors either - after the situation is over, it's time for me to go.

I also naturally mistrust anybody I spot lying low with a sniper rifle. I won't shoot them on sight, but I usually stay hidden and observe what they are doing: if I see them killing others indiscriminately, I start popping smokes, flares and potshots in their direction to mess with their heads and help buy their victims a few seconds or minutes to make a getaway. If I have a clear shot, I will take it (usually a carbine against a sniper won't really win, but I might at least wing him). Most times I am not successful (and sometimes I get killed in the process), but I enjoy the "guardian angel" role so much that I don't mind.

I've been preaching about this in the forums, so I'll post it here too for anybody who's interested:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/42919-law-to-lawless-lands/

It's a plan for a different, and (to me at least) very rewarding way to play DayZ - give it a read if you feel like it and sound out if it appeals to you.

-O

• Like 2

There is always a choice. People should atleast try to make contact before they open fire, I do.. Often with some sort of demand or else I will shot. I'm atleast giving them some sort of choice too showe me that their friendly.

If you do have to cap someones ass, atleast scream out something funny right before you shoot them. That wayt I might die with a bigger smile :)

Edited by Hyd
  • Like 1

Today I met a nice guy, Ive been chased by some zombies and he helped me out with his hatchet, and instead of killing me, he showed me his place where he had alot of food medicine and a hatchet for me!

This feeling is just godlike when someone helps you even if you didnt help him first :]

I try and help people, however i have a sniper rifle. so if ur running from zombies, and randomly they drop, your welcome :)

• Like 2

Part of the game, people would do anything to survive, protecting them self or hoping you got something they need. :)

but could one not ask for said thing? i mean if u need a gun, ill get u an ak. its not hard once youve walked the map. There isnt a real reason to kill other people outside the fact that they want to kill you. Everyone wants my god dam sniper at the moment but what can you do.

when i play i adopt a "don't shoot first" attitude. yes i die a lot, but i also get a massive rush during each player interaction. if i shoot the other guy, the game becomes mundane again. only with the other survivor near me does the game become exciting. unpredictable.

i stopped worrying about losing my gear so much. if i really want to keep something, i put it in a tent.

the game is meant to be about survival, but i prefer it to be more about player interaction. i can survive just fine with a knife, matches, hatchet and water bottle. forever. for a more demanding, intense, and rewarding experience, i choose not to shoot other players.

shooting on sight is a cowardly move.

• Like 3

It doesn't take understanding english to know that a salute means I don't plan on shooting you :P

It doesn't take understanding english to know that a salute means I don't plan on shooting you :P

Except the "people" that play this game like a deathmatch know that and more people have been killed for trusting someone who initially appears friendly than anything else at this point I think.

If you're up north shoot on sight is most likely the rule for everybody. If it's noobs in cherno/elektro it could honestly be whatever, the gear is nothing special there. Most of the self proclaimed pvp lovers just hang in elektro/cherno killing noobs, that's not really pvp. They do it because they can't get away with that stuff at the nwaf or stary.

• Like 1

yep, dayz is a doggy dog world isn't it

Doggy dog lol?

• Like 1

but I enjoy the "guardian angel" role so much that I don't mind.

I don't see why most people don't play this way, its damn fun, so fun in fact I'll hack through a conga line of 13 zombies and loose blood and my only bandage, just for the chance to make someone elses DayZ experience a bit better. And to be honest, only a right royal prick is going to kill the dude who selflessly waded through a horde to save him. You guys should try it, even if only once and you will really enjoy the fact that you just helped some poor sod with the least chance of survival (unless he guns you down, in which case, they're a prick and it doesn't count).

No friendlies. Only people without a weapon. Only because they cannot attack you. Shoot on sight.

No friendlies. Only people without a weapon. Only because they cannot attack you. Shoot on sight.

This is a valid way to look at the game. It just gets so boring sooner or later (or did for me)...

-O

This kind of annoys me as well. I've been shot so many times just trying to scavenge to find food to say alive without any weapons in my hands, sometimes just an axe. I even salute then crouch to show my intentions.

The CoD kiddies need to realize that just because you can shoot someone, doesn't mean you have to.

However for this to actually work and become a success there has to be consequences for actions, just like in the real world.

What consequences are there in a lawless wasteland, with no government, no control? It's just people left to do whatever the hell they want, and it looks like a lot of them just want to kill you for kicks. The sooner people realise that PvP is the main part of this game, the sooner all these threads can be done with. Zombies are not a threat, so what else gives this game the suspense it has? Other people of course. The fear of getting shot keeps me alive more than the fear of getting my legs bit off.

People are and always will be the biggest threat to everything on this planet, including ourselves. The only difference will be that during an apocalypse, there will be no government, or law, holding these people back from what they want to do. So as long as this game exists, there will always be bandits, and murderers, and also (unfortunately in fewer numbers) the ones that just want to not kill, and survive. I've said it plenty of times before, I don't want to kill anyone, but my instinct to survive is stronger than my willingness to get stabbed in the back again, If you say friendly to me, I probably won't shoot you, but you can bet your pretty pennies that I don't intend to trust you just because you've said it.

"Not everyone is out to get you, but you won't meet everyone if the first person you see is."

• Like 1

People will shoot you because they loose nothing by doing so.

Some wont shoot you because they have morals and are applying them in the game.

All the KOS BS about wasteland and "WHAT IF" is pure fiction as this is a game set in a fantasy scenario.

Edited by BL1P