I'm also a newbie, and one thing I learned is DO NOT HESITATE TO SHOOT.

I, with a Winchester and 9 slugs, went inside a barn looking for food, water, and medicine. I noticed several dead zombies, and when I turned around I found another guy running in, also using a Winchester. I could have killed him right there, but I hesitated. He shot and killed me.

Heya! I have read this post and it looks good, so I thought I would put some of my own advice.

First of all: If you want to play nice, and feel like taking a few risks, use the "three seconds or I shoot" call, where you call out to someone you hear, giving them three seconds to reply or else you will shoot them. But do -Not- use it unless you already have backup, otherwise you will be screwed 75-85% of the time.

Secondly: Trust no one. Doesn't matter if your friend who you know IRL picked him up in Cherno, because he was claiming to be friendly, he might just shoot you in the back right when you get a bigger gun. Want to earn someones trust? Don't, because you might end up shooting them the next day when they forget about you.

Thirdly: IMHO, Winchester > Double Barrel + all. Don't risk your life for a AK47 because the thing is low on ammo (military grade ammo is relatively rare, so you will be spending more time looking for bullets then actually firing the weapon) a Winchester + M1911/Revolver works just as well in a pinch as a AK47 ACOG with under-slung gernade launcher (if such a thing exists in game :P) + G17. The Winchester has a very nice rate of fire, and the ammo is relativity common in comparison to other weapons. With the slug and shot mix, it is one of the most versatile weapons in the game. It is also a lot quieter then other weapons, including the Double Barrel (Which is -VERY- loud, I have personally heard one firing in the supermarket from the docks in Electro).

Finally: Can't use/carry it? Dig a whole and stick it in there! A extra Winchester you find lying around could end up shooting at you latter on, so make sure it won't happen. Same goes for ammo, a extra clip might assist the guy who likes to shoot fellow survivors (A.K.A me B) ), and those bullets might be headed at you, so make sure they aren't there.

Well, the real finally: Surprise is your friend. See a survivor in front of you, and he has a gun? Don't hesitate, pop him with as few shots as possible and pick him clean! The motto is survival of the fittest in this, so you live longer with his food and ammo. You might even get a better gun/pack from his corpse. But the rule above applies, hide the corpse with all the stuff you can't use so that it isn't used to hunt you in the future.

(I lied B)) Finally! Use your ears! You have them, use them. Turn off the music in the game and listen. If you are in a conversation with your friend and you hear something, tell your friend to shut up and listen in, it might save your life. Zombies moan, but in a swarm, each moan will be different from the other (sometimes) and it is possible to tell how many are around you using that method. Survivors also make noises when they move, depending on how loaded they are. Keeping your ears open can save you the trouble of sticking your head around a corner and losing it.

That be my advice, and it has allowed myself and my companions to live for quite some time in my sessions of survival.

**WARNING! Make sure you have friends IRL who play this game, it will help you with survival having some buddies at your back to give you cover. **

Feel free to agree or disagree. This advice is open for all, and is not one way.

I just noticed that after you finish the newbie "tutorial" you are on your own. There is no "how to be a better player" from there. It is all basically your own wits that can save you after you know what to do.

I just noticed that after you finish the newbie "tutorial" you are on your own. There is no "how to be a better player" from there. It is all basically your own wits that can save you after you know what to do.

Yes sir. The newbie phase is one hell of a litmus test. If you pass it at all, it means you like the game enough to figure out the best way that works for you.

Damn, I even like just hanging in there at night, trying to pick out the big and little dippers, and listen to the breeze.

Just advice, not meant to be a tutorial if this is a comment to my post. If not, my bad. And I agree, you have wits, you live. If you go off shooting like this is COD, you die.

Edited by Commissarait Ricky

Edited by ImBotLOL