A Zombie

this game is turning into a death match because zombies are easy.

for me and my friends that play in AU1, we have found that there is no such thing as 'friendly' people anymore. if we dont know them, they get shot on sight and the same happens to us, we get shot on sight. and im sure its similar in many other servers.

why?

personally, i think the problem comes from the fact that the zombies are irrelevant push overs that just happen to be in the way while we are raiding a town. they are not difficult to avoid, trick into getting lost or shooting the odd one that gets too close.

the REASON we dont like opening fire with our weapons is not because of an ammunition shortage, its because we dont want other PLAYERS to hear us. otherwise id just go in there guns blazing with my m4.

because players are not afraid of zombies, there is only one challenge left in the game and that is other players. it is our challenge, we hunt other players because zombies are boring and easy.

for example.

cherno is the capital city of the area and i can solo run through it grab what i want shoot any players in my way or get shot myself, grab enough stuff to get me started and head out to meet my friends and resume hunting other players for their stuff.

to put it simply. players do not need to depend on one another to 'survive' and because 'i dont need you' ill just shoot you for your stuff so i can shoot more people even easier.

how do i believe it should be solved?

MAKE THE ZOMBIES HARDER. LOTS and LOTS more of them and make them actually HIT a player when they catch up and do more DAMAGE. oh and make them run INSIDE buildings.

if players are afraid of the zombies MORE than other players then we will start banding together again because we NEED each other to get the lewts.

that is my opinion, im open to others thaughts and input or amendments and feed back.

thanks for reading.

• Like 6

Welcome to the end of May.

It's been in deathmatch mode since then.

You do realize that they are putting as many zombies on the servers as they can?

There are limits to server load and net code optimization.

When testing 1.7.4.2, there were servers with over 1,300 zombies. At those levels, more and more of them just sat still.

So often people put up these threads and are just ignorant of reality or deliberately ignoring what they do know.

Cars should fly! In my opinion, these ground based cars are too slow and why should I have to wait for lights?

Hell I should have teleportation... That cures cancer!

You're essentially stating things that are obvious but can't be done yet... And frankly they've been stated here before.

So good post, good information... Not so useful these days because it's old hat.

Sorry.

Edited by 1.7.2.4
  • Like 5

I agree in ur perspective tho....

dont u think zombies will be to difficult to encounter alone then, in the very beggining to even get started? since you start without a gun.

I rarely see other players except when i am in the capital zity or elektro.

• Like 1

good to know. then this only enforces the need for a stand alone game and i will simply continue deathmatching with my friends. i now accept the game to be at its limit as far as a mod goes.

good to know. then this only enforces the need for a stand alone game and i will simply continue deathmatching with my friends. i now accept the game to be at its limit as far as a mod goes.

In its current iteration.

a simple counter to cranking up zombie volume is to instead crank up their lethality. 1500 relatively easy zombies in a server or 300 that are crazy dangerous to be anywhere near. easier on the server as less zombies to path for. with the same over all effect. Make them harder to kill, and much more lethal when aggroed on you. I suggested elsewhere giving them more methods of detection to make it much more difficult to creep past them. the game already has wind, by giving the wind a vector direction and creating a detection plume drifted by the wind you would create a body odour detection system. by having more players close together you would concentrate the detection plume thence stronger odour etc... would give the infected another way to detect you making them harder to sneak past...

even IF zombies were more of a threat, it wouldn't stop people from trying to PvP - especially because everyone still DC's

I think a slight addition of aggressive wild life would decrease the prevalence of the camp sniping meta game

Edited by ih8

It will always be a death match, regardless of how hard the zombies are. There are already roaming gank groups, all you'll do is make it harder on the people who aren't grouped up yet. Those people will group with friends they made outside the game, for the most part, so you won't be doing anything to reduce death match or reduce shoot on sight.

Your best case scenario for harder PvE just makes the game lean more towards Team Death match instead of Death match---which is where it already is for smart/experienced players.

It isn't the boring PvE zombie fighting that is making this mod popular, it is the open world PvP. Expect that side of the game to get more attention, not less, if they intend to grow the mod. After all, there are plenty of boring PvE zombie games already for people to play, the market isn't just filled, it is saturated.

You need to realize that now and get over it or move on.

Edited by random51

I believe Rocket even said the zombies are not meant to be hard, just a 'hazard' when playing/surviving.

Then why is it that I see bandits all the time snipe my friends, and then when a zombie gets close, they dc?

Then why is it that I see bandits all the time snipe my friends, and then when a zombie gets close, they dc?

They must be big pussys.

have i missed something? did the zombies not *cause* the apocalypse? it they've managed to take over the planet they must be tough as nails... now without the storyline it's impossible to determine where we are in the zombie evolution timeline. If we are now witnessing the tail end of the population bell curve where population contracts after consuming all available resources, and PC's are humans who've survived or recovered from the infection then that might explain why they're so weak... lack of food/new infectees etc... etc...if however the zombie population is still in the growth phase of it's population curve then they should be hard as nails as they have all they need to maintain their strength... all dependent on the backstory... how much would I like to see a dynamic where new spawns are individuals recovering from the infection.... imagine a spawn intro of a speeded up zombie life leading to a collapse where the red mist drops from your eyes and you awake, having fought off the infection... but i digress....

I think zombies should be more difficult but the code doesn't support mass zombie spawns. If they could get it to work correctly, random zombie spawn events would be pretty cool but this is my idea, not Rocket's. Who knows what he will do in the future.

Then again, anyone with half a brain knows that during a real life zombie apocalypse, the biggest threat will always be other humans.

• Like 1

It's already been proven that infected difficulty doesn't make a huge difference to people shooting other people. The infected difficulty has intentionally and unintentionally been ramped up previously. It didn't save jimmy from being shot as he crawled away with broken legs crying for help from the guy standing there laughing at him.

Bring back the side channel to join, and chat in game, brings backs some more social aspect, some people dont have mic's or dont want to use them, in the end it makes it harder to get friendly with other players, we need some social thing in the game to encourage us to make IG friends..

• Like 1

The problem is the high spawn rate for weapons, ammo, and food. They are far too easy to get, so reaching 'endgame' is just an hours run up north.

Edited by Sonblade

I don't remember dieing to zombies since I've first started playing Dayz.

Lol i usually die on purpose sometimes so i can spawn with friends.

Zombies aren't supposed to be hard. This isn't about the zombies, it's about interactions with other players.

It will always be a death match, regardless of how hard the zombies are. There are already roaming gank groups, all you'll do is make it harder on the people who aren't grouped up yet. Those people will group with friends they made outside the game, for the most part, so you won't be doing anything to reduce death match or reduce shoot on sight.

Your best case scenario for harder PvE just makes the game lean more towards Team Death match instead of Death match---which is where it already is for smart/experienced players.

It isn't the boring PvE zombie fighting that is making this mod popular, it is the open world PvP. Expect that side of the game to get more attention, not less, if they intend to grow the mod. After all, there are plenty of boring PvE zombie games already for people to play, the market isn't just filled, it is saturated.

You need to realize that now and get over it or move on.

And therein is the heart of the concept lost. Another "popular" FPS game is not the goal. If participants approach this mod as just another PvP deathmatch game (and I can't stress GAME enough), albeit one in an open and large world, then what I believe is the ethos of the devs has been lost to them. People are already deliberately circumventing the core principle of the mod, The persistence and permanent death of ones PC. I don't believe the core principle of the mod was to provide another social medium to go whack people with your mates, even if that is what it's being used for at the moment.

The idea here is survival. My idea for cranking up the zombie difficulty factor is that it makes one much more wary of exposing oneself to the environment, an environment which caused the apocalypse. I'm not saying PvP should be taken out of the game, just that it should have serious consequences if that 's the route you choose to go.

If this goes down an open world CoD path then the project has failed in my opinion. Even if that is what the consumers want. Rocket has said, I believe, that is the antithesis to what he is striving for, and that his goal is not to provide just another FPS with which the market is already saturated.

and as for "You need to realize that now and get over it or move on." I would argue that is you that needs to move on. that your thrill seeking FPS CoD attitude is detrimental to the project.

Edited by JerFeelgood

Joining a 50 people full server.

Looking at top right corner and finding out only ~120 zombies are spawned.

Then you know 95% of the players are just lurking in the surrounding woods with snipers for hours.

You can safely say that however hard the zombies are, they won't care.

I've argued

Joining a 50 people full server.

Looking at top right corner and finding out only ~120 zombies are spawned.

Then you know 95% of the players are just lurking in the surrounding woods with snipers for hours.

You can safely say that however hard the zombies are, they won't care.

I've argued elsewhere that it's the ease of access to guns and bullets that's driving the PvP element of the game. As long as military kit is on a respawn, then players are gonna kill cos the bullets don't have any value, so spray and play. If you participate in the environment for 2hrs and only find 6 measly makarov bullets. you're not going to waste them killing PC's, they're going to be your last line of defence for zeds. If you play for 4hrs and find no beanz, then that axe, knife and matches are going to be your best friends.

All readily consummable goods should be ultra rare, beans and bullets should be a treat.

I would suggest people have a good read of "lord of the flies" to see where power lays.

Takeaway all the guns and see how quickly all the deatmatch jerks move on.

And I would argue from a european POV and here I expect to be massively flamed, that it's only americans who expect bullets to be lying around on the floor after the apocalypse. Where I'm sitting right now (uk) I have absolutely no clue where I'd have to go to find one single bullet. I certainly wouldn't expect them to be lying around in farmhouses. But maybe i'm just naieve. When I lived in the US, my direct experience was that you could find guns in cars, in everyones homes, in peoples waistbands, at work, in the shopping mall, everywhere. But maybe I'm just a euro pacifist care bear.

Edited by JerFeelgood

blah blah blah

You're making the obvious mistake of presuming that the ONLY way to increase zombie difficulty is to increase their mere numbers.

Half a thousand other ways to do it, chief.

The OP has the right idea, if not precisely the right implementation.

The rest is solved by the post directly above mine: reduce the rate of military loot spawn.

Edited by cogwheel

I dunno if this is just an issue I have with latency or something, but zombies are hitting me while running since the latest update. I think they can also see inside buildings now because I will get swarms coming at me into a building when I haven't had any aggro when entering. I hate the suit zombies!

Edited by Flurf