Sign in to follow this  
torph (DayZ)

Am I a bully or was this justice?

So, I was just in Elektro, or rather on the outskirts spying on a group of three people through my binoculars. Harmless enough, i didn't plan on killing anyone, I had no sniper rifle, i was just bored and wanted to see how other players go about surviving. They go about looting every place they find, bringing them to the supermarket, audibly blasting zombies to bits, they pick the place clean, I assume. Anyway as they're in there an unarmed player approaches and runs into the back room, they immediately open fire and he runs back out, bleeding and they give chase, eventually plugging him with a winchester as he tried to circle around the market, Benny Hill style. These guys just murdered an unarmed guy, they're no danger to me, i'm a good 800m away hiding, so why did I feel I needed to take action?

I moved away from where i was perched and followed them at a safe distance, they go to a firestation, the other firestation, and then across a field, into a white barn and then into a copse of trees. I managed to get myself in an overlook of them about 300m to the north when i grab my binoculars again and spy some more. One looks AFK, the other two are unaware i'm watching, they are still no danger to me. I have an M4A1 CCO SD, at 300m they aren't gonna have a clue where i'm firing from, this is almost a zero risk situation for me, so i open fire, i missed my first 4 shots and they scatter in panic, the AFK one was just alt-tabbed I guess. One finally stops, being attacked by a zombie, he's got revolver i think, I fire again, miss a couple times, before nailing him in the head, insta-kill. The next two are a little more difficult, i manage to nail one in his leg and torso, he's bleeding and runs to the barn. The other i lose track of, maybe a DC i'm not sure. Anyway the guy who ran into the barn, who was using an enfield, musta bled to death because i get a bandit kill flash up, so that's two down.

Next up, a 4th player seems to come out of nowhere and begins firing off, I guess the third didn't DC as this fourth guy just took him out for me with an AKM. Seeing as this guy just accidentally wiped out my last enemy I decide to just walk away and leave him standing. Ok i lie, i fired a couple shots and realised i was running low so ran like a coward.

Alright, so what does this make me? Am i a bully bandit, just as bad as the guys i just killed? I had a better gun, a better position, the element of surprise and stealth, they had no chance, i wasn't in danger during any stage of the fight. In fact, it wasn't a fight, it was a slaughter, they didn't fire once at me. Or did I just gain justice for the unarmed man back in Elektro? I guess as someone who doesn't like murdering people needlessly i'm trying to justify my actions, but I feel i may be just as rotten as they were.

Thoughts?

• Like 6

You hopefully taught them a lesson to not fire senselessly and broadcast their positions in a high risk area.

That'll teach them to stroll through the middle of bean-town shooting unarmed folk and acting like they own the place.

Good job. I may have done the same thing. The incident has not occurred for me to do it. But when it does, ill be the punisher for that one scene.

Torph, In Dayz your gonna learn alot. Chances are they would have shot and killed you on first sight.

You did a good thing, you saved others from an unknownly/timely death.

To me thats something good. You shouldnt feel rotten. You did what you thought had to be done and thats that.

My rule of contact is

1. Talk to see if they are friendly, have them talk back.

2. If they dont talk, ask them to type, maybe they dont have a mic.

3. They put no effort to contact me i do either.

A. If they seem hostilitie kill them.

B. If they are going away from me, go on with my day.

Also you roam around alone?

Torph, In Dayz your gonna learn alot. Chances are they would have shot and killed you on first sight.

You did a good thing, you saved others from an unknownly/timely death.

To me thats something good. You shouldnt feel rotten. You did what you thought had to be done and thats that.

My rule of contact is

1. Talk to see if they are friendly, have them talk back.

2. If they dont talk, ask them to type, maybe they dont have a mic.

3. They put no effort to contact me i do either.

A. If they seem hostilitie kill them.

B. If they are going away from me, go on with my day.

Also you roam around alone?

Yeah i took these guys as hostile when they gunned down the other player, so i ruled out diplomacy here, any attempt to approach them would have gone badly for me.

I'll group up with my clan-mates when any are around, but other than that i tend to lone-wolf. I managed to get into a group of 4 yesterday in Cherno after i saved a couple guys from zombies using my hatchet, i'd recently died myself. After raiding a hospital they turned on me and executed me at point blank range, I have trust issues after this haha!

You should reword your statement to reflect you shot WARNING shots not that you missed. Then you are in the clear.

Edited by LunaTiK

lol but to them you were a randomer who decided to shoot them dwn for no reason , for all they knew tht guy coming in back of shop was you wanting there blood ;)

bandits make bandits

each to there own

Alright, so what does this make me? Am i a bully bandit, just as bad as the guys i just killed?

You got awefull aim and its stupid to waste your ammo like that to take revenge for a newly spawned player that didnt lose anything.

Ofc it sucks if you get killed the 3rd time 5 minutes after spawn, but I sucks a lot more to get killed after 3 days of gathering stuff.

Btw, maybe you thought your actions where righteous, but they did definitely not learn to not kos. They just learned to be more carefull and hide better.

You got awefull aim and its stupid to waste your ammo like that to take revenge for a newly spawned player that didnt lose anything.

Ofc it sucks if you get killed the 3rd time 5 minutes after spawn, but I sucks a lot more to get killed after 3 days of gathering stuff.

Btw, maybe you thought your actions where righteous, but they did definitely not learn to not kos. They just learned to be more carefull and hide better.

I think you've missed the point there a little. As serious as I was hoping the discussion might actually turn out, the fact is this is still a game and the bottom line for doing this was to have fun. I achieved my goal of having fun regardless of 'wasting' ammo, I merely asked what people made of my motives, not to rate my aim or whether i taught these people a lesson. Besides, shooting ANYTHING in game could be constituted as a waste of ammo, as you simply don't need to shoot if you decide to live out in the woods. It's a little bit of a shame that in trying to share an experience of how I play the game has devolved into something of an insulting nature, I can see why people can become frustrated on these forums.

Regardless, thanks for your opinion!

I dunno, I probably would not shoot an unarmed player, but they can pose a threat, they can steal into your backpack or find a gun and shoot you in the back. Maybe they even had a gun in the backpack.

Were you a bully for singly taking on and putting down three murderous psychos? Not by any strectch. The unknown fourth guy that might have helped you? Firing at him was possibly a moment of adrenaline-filled bad-decision making. Nice karma that you missed him.

Justice for them? Sure, in this live & die by the gun world, they got it. Yours will likely come later.

On a side note: Waste of bullets for no reward? Absurd to the extreme. Calmly saving bullets to let murderers go is potentially a far worse act with more negative psychological baggage than the frenzied murder by a group of scavengers whena stranger runs into their midst.

I approve killing asshole bandits on sight. Good job. Should have looted them though and buried their bodies.

So, I was just in Elektro, or rather on the outskirts spying on a group of three people through my binoculars. Harmless enough, i didn't plan on killing anyone, I had no sniper rifle, i was just bored and wanted to see how other players go about surviving. They go about looting every place they find, bringing them to the supermarket, audibly blasting zombies to bits, they pick the place clean, I assume. Anyway as they're in there an unarmed player approaches and runs into the back room, they immediately open fire and he runs back out, bleeding and they give chase, eventually plugging him with a winchester as he tried to circle around the market, Benny Hill style. These guys just murdered an unarmed guy, they're no danger to me, i'm a good 800m away hiding, so why did I feel I needed to take action?

I moved away from where i was perched and followed them at a safe distance, they go to a firestation, the other firestation, and then across a field, into a white barn and then into a copse of trees. I managed to get myself in an overlook of them about 300m to the north when i grab my binoculars again and spy some more. One looks AFK, the other two are unaware i'm watching, they are still no danger to me. I have an M4A1 CCO SD, at 300m they aren't gonna have a clue where i'm firing from, this is almost a zero risk situation for me, so i open fire, i missed my first 4 shots and they scatter in panic, the AFK one was just alt-tabbed I guess. One finally stops, being attacked by a zombie, he's got revolver i think, I fire again, miss a couple times, before nailing him in the head, insta-kill. The next two are a little more difficult, i manage to nail one in his leg and torso, he's bleeding and runs to the barn. The other i lose track of, maybe a DC i'm not sure. Anyway the guy who ran into the barn, who was using an enfield, musta bled to death because i get a bandit kill flash up, so that's two down.

Next up, a 4th player seems to come out of nowhere and begins firing off, I guess the third didn't DC as this fourth guy just took him out for me with an AKM. Seeing as this guy just accidentally wiped out my last enemy I decide to just walk away and leave him standing. Ok i lie, i fired a couple shots and realised i was running low so ran like a coward.

Alright, so what does this make me? Am i a bully bandit, just as bad as the guys i just killed? I had a better gun, a better position, the element of surprise and stealth, they had no chance, i wasn't in danger during any stage of the fight. In fact, it wasn't a fight, it was a slaughter, they didn't fire once at me. Or did I just gain justice for the unarmed man back in Elektro? I guess as someone who doesn't like murdering people needlessly i'm trying to justify my actions, but I feel i may be just as rotten as they were.

Thoughts?

People like you make this game intersting. But then again, so do the bandits and people who cooperate, and those who act seflessly as medics. I think theonly thing a person can do to harm the game is not play.