Sign in to follow this  
badpaint@hotmail.com

Trains!!!!

You should be able to find and rebuild trains carts like this:tta1729_railway_2_man_hand_car__06887_thumb.jpg

it should be 2 players that move the lever up and down and then more space should be added so that other teammates may tag along and sit on the side. But in order to even this out it should break down after a few kilometers or so that way its not a over used or a primary source of transportation for all players to use.

• Like 1

Snipers and satchel charges everyhwere.

While short it does show some issues with your suggestion.

What is the advantage? Why would anyone want to construct/fix a vehicle that only works on train-tracks?

Looking at the map, the train-tracks only go along the coast and go through the major cities of the map.

It will attract a lot of attention, making you a very easy target for other survivors. Zombies are far less of a concern in this case but even if you have the luck of not finding survivors. Isn't it faster to simply go to one of the big cities, stealthy loot it and go north for better loot?

I'm all for more options but the pros and cons need to be balanced but right now the cons far outweigh the pros. (High risk, low reward.)

Hell yes.

I've passed a few trains and have says a few times it would be good to drive them. Hold 7 people max. Odd amount.

Also change tracks so a player has to get out run up. Switch the tracks if they want to get around. Provided they know the tracks switching stuff and where they go.

Derail top speed lol. Also add more rails. So around the map and not just around the bottom of the map.

+1 to this.

• Like 1

so, no more: brrrrains, brraaaaiiiins

now it's: trrrraaaaains, traaaaaaiiiiins

Seriously- what would trains accomplish? They only connect the areas you better walk. The two man handcart is a fun thing for sure, but as someone pointed out it will become a tool for target practice.

Edited by S3V3N

It's a decent suggestion, whether or not it's a wise option to use a pump powered rail cart is anyones guess, but I dare say pleanty of people would! It just makes for another "option", which is what sandbox games are all about. Having bandits set up traps such as explosives, sniper ambushes and tank traps would be another part of the game. For thsoe who were brave enough to risk it it would offer a pretty decent interlink between major towns and cities for quick(ish) raids.

One problem I could see is line changes, a switch system for track changes would have to be implemented.

Edited by Box
  • Like 1

No, I don't want to be a sitting duck for some snipers to practice. Because of the rails they would know the train is going to come back and all they have to do is wait.

I am against this idea because it's easier and safer to travel the way by foot. Trains make a lot of noise and will only attract zombies and evil PKs.

No, please. No.

Sorry ive been away for a while but, as said before it will be a changeable train route that may or may not take, it would lead to all the major cities. And it snipers would be able to snipe you but when you honesty think about it why would you take the train if you have alot of good stuff on you because then you will be asking to die....therefore this train idea would be a main boost for the lower middle/ new player(s) group to enjoy as a way of fast transportation.Yes this way of travel may be loud but just like the ATV it will be loud and fast. Also about the sniper camping problem that this may create,what sniper would actually take that much time out of there day to sit and watch a train rail to see if a train with most likely newbies on board of it.besides the train cart with two people on it rapidly pumping it should get around 15-25 mph or faster.And zeds within a 20 foot radius should be the only ones that are attracted to it....So the speed of the train cart should be enough to make at leasst some snipers miss there first shots leaving your other players just sitting on it able to take the necessary shots to either kill the enemy sniper or at least make him retreat.

No, I don't want to be a sitting duck for some snipers to practice. Because of the rails they would know the train is going to come back and all they have to do is wait.

I am against this idea because it's easier and safer to travel the way by foot. Trains make a lot of noise and will only attract zombies and evil PKs.

No, please. No.

Then...you dont take a train...just because of your personal opinion about not wanting to take the risk being a easy target, doesnt mean the suggestion isn't good.

+1

• Like 1

Then...you dont take a train...just because of your personal opinion about not wanting to take the risk being a easy target, doesnt mean the suggestion isn't good.

+1

Good point. But I also think, that it has technical reasons because of the game mechanics, that trains can't be implemented.

So sorry for you train-lovers. ;)

Good point. But I also think, that it has technical reasons because of the game mechanics, that trains can't be implemented.

So sorry for you train-lovers. ;)

Hmm, I havent actually really played Arma besides the tutorial missions, so when i saw this post I thought there we're trains to :)

Otherwise...it would be pretty dumb to make a suggestion like this...

i love this idea ....but not as a player corp owned thing ,maybe use it as a community vehicle which just automatically rides round like automated ghost train that hits various citys at different times and sure u could be sniped from outside if they are a pro shot but cannot destroy the train itself ..would make the journey up north easier and spread the players about more

would make meeting up with friends easier for sure and ofc the train stations would become zombie/sniper hot spots but ofc not risk - no reward

also maybe the residents of the server can patch it up with scrap metal at times to make it quieter/safer etc

I think you underestimate the difficulty with mass transport from a technical perspective. Trains would mean a lot of players in the same place, which the engine would have to sync. They move at a comparably high speed, which will result in rubberbanding and break the immersion. Also, it will limit the amount of zombies that can spawn in the area - and since the train goes through all the most populated areas it could become a game breaker.

From a realism perspective and technically, it would both make more sense to organize boat trips between the main harbors. It may not be as fast or direct, but the route is almost identical and there is nothing on the water to break the immersion.

Edited by S3V3N