MasterZ

Special Zombies

I've been playing this game a lot and I thought we could give more depth to our friendly neighborhood zombie buddies.

Most zombies we can encounter in Day Z are simple zombies with no special attributes except for being either a civilian or a military zombie. Thus I thought it would be nice to give special attributes to certain zombies that spawn at certain places.

Here are some ideas by me and my friends:

(Please be gentle with me.)

Construction Worker Zombies - These zombies spawn near industrial buildings and will often wear thick construction helmets with special headphones. They prevent sound so these zombies don't hear you at all but at the same time it prevents headshots from low caliber guns unless shot directly in the face.

Soldier Zombies - These zombies spawn near military sites as they do already. They often wear helmets that prevent headshots from low caliber weapons and often wear bullet proof vests that prevent or reduce damage from most guns.

They are much harder to deal with yet they will wear better loot on them.

Walkman Zombies - These zombies spawn just like regular civilians but are exclusive to big cities. They wear still functioning walkmans that produce sound. They are not special on their own but because of the working walkman they spawn with anywhere from 5 to 15 follower civilian zombies that function like a mob. Startle one of them and they all rush towards you, better look out!

Survivor Zombies - Making the game harder isn't everything, adding rewards in trade for risk is also part of a good package. Survivor zombies will be survivors that were not immune. They rarely spawn near cities and wear smaller backpacks with various items, sometimes even guns. You can kill them for loot but try to get a headshot. It would be a shame if you accidentally shot the items he was holding to bits and pieces.

Infected Zombies - These zombies spawn near hospitals and wear the traditional hospital robe of shame. They have a bigger chance to give (stronger) infections to survivors when they attack but as a result these zombies have only about 1000 blood.

Dogs - There is no doubt in my head that these have been suggested before but I'll put them here anyway. They spawn just like civilian zombies but rely twice as much on hearing and twice as less on sight. They are also faster and do more damage than regular civilian zombies. They spawn alone and in case smell is ever implanted as a sense, dogs will smell four times as good as regular zombies. (With hearing being twice as much I mean that 4 sound bars means 8 sound bars for them.)

Wolves - The reason I included dogs. Survivors should never be truly save so why not make the forests a bit more dangerous? Wolves will spawn as a pack of 4-8 wolves and will attack survivors. Like dogs they rely more on sound and less on sight, they would also rely on smell if ever implanted. They will avoid populated areas and open fields and their habitat will be exclusive to the more inland forests.

(Do you want to run into a field and risk sniping or run through the forest and risk wolves?)

I'm sure this community can think of more special zombies that might be a good idea to include in future version or in the distant future stand alone version of this mod. ;)

• Like 23

came to troll the thread expecting L4D bullshit buttttt............ Gravity Cat seems to be ammused XD

Construction no headshot idea is a little sketchy but not bad....nat bad the best suggjestion for "special zombies" yet

Maybe add this too:

Child Zombies:

The are small and fast and have no loot (Childs don't carry much stuff, right?). They are weaker then the average zombie and can be killed easily, but like the Infected Zombies the childs have a bigger chance to infect survivors. Spawns in and nearby towns and cities.

Edited by Zeror

I'm a fan of this. The walkman zombie and survivor zombie seem a little gimmicky but that's just me. Great suggestion otherwise.

I really like this idea... You have my beans!

Zombies with "Class-specific" abilities would be awesome indeed.

Some very good suggestions for special zombies.

I addition to this, I can think of one more; a 'Hunter' zombie that carries survival gear (hunting knife, map, compass, CZ/ Enfield ammo, etc)

They should spawn near dear stands.

Nice ideas MasterZ

I expect others have discussed this elsewhere but I've been thinking of the speed and agility of a Zombies.

Considering they would be in various states of decay, their state may reflect their mobility or intelligence.

E.g. A zombie in an advanced stage of decay may be quite sluggish and dull witted as their muscles have atrophied and their brain functions have diminished becoming more instinctive. These may be more easily avoided but still very dangerous when in large numbers. These guys may have more of a tendency mob up and be particularly common in more heavily built up areas.

Their fresher kin however might be more likely to run and clamber over objects with more success than the others and be inclined to be more dogged and aggressive when in pursuit of potential prey. These may be found anywhere and may be highly unpredictable due to them still retaining small traces of intelligence.

It would also be good if zombies could be found anywhere. Whether shambling almost aimlessly in dense mobs inside heavily built up areas, in small gangs roaming fields and forests or isolated and alone in the most curious places. The possible threat of getting munched by a zombie should be ever present in players' minds.

I would also like it if zombies were harder to kill unless you shot them in the head. Maybe it could depend on how many times you've damaged the creature already, where on the creatures body have you struck it and with what weapon. If going by the usual zombie traits then Leg and arm shots shouldn't kill but just limit the threat at best.

Maybe add this too:

Child Zombies:

The are small and fast and have no loot (Childs don't carry much stuff, right?). They are weaker then the average zombie and can be killed easily, but like the Infected Zombies the childs have a bigger chance to infect survivors. Spawns in and nearby towns and cities.

The amount of people asking for child zombies is unsettling. Also, while I might not like all your ideas OP, you didn't cross over the line to L4D nonsense and your post is well thought out.

My hunger is flashing red, but damn! I'm gonna give you my beans!

Thanks for all the beans! I'm sure to survive for a long time now. :D

Child Zombies:

Not sure about that, I think something like that will pull a lot of negative attention. Having zombie dogs (or dogs in general) being shot already gets plenty of negative attention by certain groups. :o Children might be pushing it too far, with how sensitive the media is nowadays and all.

Some very good suggestions for special zombies.

I addition to this, I can think of one more; a 'Hunter' zombie that carries survival gear (hunting knife, map, compass, CZ/ Enfield ammo, etc)

They should spawn near dear stands.

Yeah that sound pretty cool! Kind of like the survivor zombie but with different loot.

Nice ideas MasterZ

I expect others have discussed this elsewhere but I've been thinking of the speed and agility of a Zombies.

Considering they would be in various states of decay, their state may reflect their mobility or intelligence.

E.g. A zombie in an advanced stage of decay may be quite sluggish and dull witted as their muscles have atrophied and their brain functions have diminished becoming more instinctive. These may be more easily avoided but still very dangerous when in large numbers. These guys may have more of a tendency mob up and be particularly common in more heavily built up areas.

Their fresher kin however might be more likely to run and clamber over objects with more success than the others and be inclined to be more dogged and aggressive when in pursuit of potential prey. These may be found anywhere and may be highly unpredictable due to them still retaining small traces of intelligence.

It would also be good if zombies could be found anywhere. Whether shambling almost aimlessly in dense mobs inside heavily built up areas, in small gangs roaming fields and forests or isolated and alone in the most curious places. The possible threat of getting munched by a zombie should be ever present in players' minds.

I would also like it if zombies were harder to kill unless you shot them in the head. Maybe it could depend on how many times you've damaged the creature already, where on the creatures body have you struck it and with what weapon. If going by the usual zombie traits then Leg and arm shots shouldn't kill but just limit the threat at best.

I do kind of like the idea of zombies having different stages, some being more sluggish than others. We kind of already have that with hoppers and crawlers.

Not sure about the forest idea though, I like how zombies stick to cities because that's where their prey (humans) can be found.

I thought this would be about Left 4 Dead. But I do like the construction zombie special zombie.

The amount of people asking for child zombies is unsettling. Also, while I might not like all your ideas OP, you didn't cross over the line to L4D nonsense and your post is well thought out.

I really respect DayZ and it keeping the infected/zombies more traditional and realistic as far as zombies can be realistic.

I do like L4D but it's a completely different game and the special infect from that game hardly fit in DayZ, I agree with both of you with that. :)

Are the dogs and wolves zombies or not? If not, wolves really aren't aggressive towards humans, and dogs less so. If so, shit.....;)

Are the dogs and wolves zombies or not? If not, wolves really aren't aggressive towards humans, and dogs less so. If so, shit..... ;)

That is kind of a tough question and can go either way really.

On one hand they could be starving and feral due to neglect which causes them to attack live humans because infected aren't edible.

On the other hand they could be zombified as well, which raises questions such as: why aren't the bunnies and boars infected?

Both can work, depending on how it's presented in the game. If you would ask me which one I favor, I would answer zombie dogs and starving wolves.