ZedsDeadBaby

Prevent Spawn Point "Choosing" by Suicide

The removal of the Respawn option in 1.7.2.4 is a step in the right direction both for those who have been unfortunate enough to click it accidentally, and as a deterrent for those who have been circumventing the spawn system for so long by spam re-spawning to get nearer to their desired locations.

The problem is, 1.7.2.4 will just begin the era of "extended suicides." People will kill themselves by zombie or ladder at the first opportunity in order to try for a more desirable spawn point. Unfortunately this will have the side effect of skewing the death statistics since some of these lives will exceed the threshhold of being ignored by the algorithm, but will end shortly thereafter to some purposeful mishap.

A simple proposal: You are bound to a single spawn point until you reach 60 minutes of continuous survival. Any death including zombies, PvP and suicide within 60 minutes will simply spawn you at your most recent spawn point. Only after passing the 60 minute mark will your spawn point be "cleared" and chosen anew randomly upon your death.

A seemingly simple change that would end forever the practice of "choosing" spawn locations by suicide.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 10

I'm all for this compromise. Would stop people from repeatedly respawning to get back to where they were, but also doesn't gyp those who legitimately need to respawn. (Broken leg with no morphine, stuck in a wall, et cetera.)

A simple proposal: You are bound to a single spawn point until you reach 60 minutes of continuous survival. Any death including zombies, PvP and suicide within 60 minutes will simply spawn you at your most recent spawn point. Only after passing the 60 minute mark will your spawn point be "cleared" and chosen anew randomly upon your death.

A seemingly simple change that would end forever the practice of "choosing" spawn locations by suicide.

And then some guy camps the spawn point. Since you cant reach the 60-min mark (or whatever you set it as), you'll continuously spawn in the same location.

• Like 2

And then some guy camps the spawn point. Since you cant reach the 60-min mark (or whatever you set it as), you'll continuously spawn in the same location.

You can change server and spawn then move away and switch back to your chosen server. Problem solved.

Good suggestion in OP.

Valid point, thanks.

But I'm not sure it would be a major issue. Every time the spawn-camping boogeyman gets trotted out, as it was when rocket removed starting weapons from the game and everyone claimed the beaches were about to become a shooting gallery... it turns out not to really be a big problem.

But, just in case, the player could instead be locked to a region or subset of spawn points, such as Kamenka west, Kamenka east & Kamorovo - or Solichniy, Three Valleys, Krutoy Cap.

So you don't appear in precisely the same location each time, but you also can't "travel" very far either.

You can change server and spawn then move away and switch back to your chosen server. Problem solved.

You're right, but I would prefer not to encourage server-swapping.

Still, I think there is a compromise as detailed above.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

so what is your suggestion for people that wanna play with friends that respawn to get closer to them?

Start running lol.

I think it's a good idea. I especially like the subset idea, kamenka east, west...

+1

• Like 1

i dont...you dont really expect friends that spawn in kamenka and Sol to run 20 plus minutes just to meet up with each other do you?

i dont...you dont really expect friends that spawn in kamenka and Sol to run 20 plus minutes just to meet up with each other do you?

Well, if you want my honest opinion... yeah.

Any of us who play in groups have wasted time running before.

Hell, on an off-note, I once ran from around Novy, to Cherno, to Kamenka, then up to Pavlovo, trying to chase my buddies because I fell out of our UAZ. Come to find out, I didn't have my mic on, so they couldn't hear me yelling for them to stop. Was kinda funny, in hindsight, but annoying as fuck for me at the time. We had a laugh about it later that night, though.

There's a fine line between "hardcore" and "tortuous",

and this crosses it in my opinion,

personally I think we should be able to choose our spawn location,

so people who want PvP can spawn at the usual spots and wilderness/survival buffs can go elsewhere without being noobkilled.

There's already enough pointless running in DayZ.

Well, if you want my honest opinion... yeah.

Any of us who play in groups have wasted time running before.

Hell, on an off-note, I once ran from around Novy, to Cherno, to Kamenka, then up to Pavlovo, trying to chase my buddies because I fell out of our UAZ. Come to find out, I didn't have my mic on, so they couldn't hear me yelling for them to stop. Was kinda funny, in hindsight, but annoying as fuck for me at the time. We had a laugh about it later that night, though.

honesly i dont believe that...ive watched plenty of streams where they had a group of people and if they were farther than balota to cherno away from each other, they would just respawn.

your story though is the part where i wouldnt want to be able to spawn with friends. Just keep the spawning with a ffriend to newly created characters, not ones that are existing

It's all a matter of perspective. My survivals at this point are usually in the 15+ day range and the same goes for the members of my immediate group of friends.

If we die before Day 10 we make fun of each other for having such a short life.

So, yeah, if we have to spend 30 minutes or a couple hours or even a day roaming around and gearing up after death before we meet back up with our friends it really doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things. Most of the time we are alive, together, and cooperating and communicating to accomplish group-oriented activities. Honestly, a few hours alone is a nice break and a change of pace once in a long while.

Of course it's not for me to say ultimately, but DayZ does not strike me as a casual, short-session kind of game. If you only have 90 minutes to play once or twice a week, so that a 20 minute run seems prohibitive to your enjoyment of the game, then I'm not convinced DayZ is the place for you.

But, I honestly believe much of the complaint is hyperbole. I'm guessing your average DayZ player has a few hours at least each week to devote, so a 15, 20 or even 45 minute investment in that initial gear-up-and-meet phase is really not asking much, and it ultimately enhances the experience and encourages long-term survival. Some people regret losing gear when they die but honestly the biggest loss to me is contact with my group of friends. And I think that's cool. DayZ has made me value the company of friends more than equipment and gear.

If you spawn with your friend it would just be like "Oh, hey. There you are. Okay, let's play." But when you have to spawn alone and hunt and search and scavenge and communicate and claw your way to meet each other, it turns it into something of import. That moment you come up over the ridge and first see your friend, the giddy calls of "Is that you? Holy shit it's you!" and the relief you feel at finally having someone there to watch your back... it means so much more when you have had to put a little effort into it, you know?

"Nothing easy, nothing free." I think that's DayZ's motto. And for me it works. It makes the small things seem large. In most games, I take it for granted that my friends will be right there when I login, and if not they can "summon" me at a moment's notice. In DayZ if I login alone, I actually feel lonely - and I think that says something about this design direction.

Personally I like it.

I'm not asking you to feel the same way.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

It's all a matter of perspective. My survivals at this point are usually in the 15+ day range and the same goes for the members of my immediate group of friends.

If we die before Day 10 we make fun of each other for having such a short life.

So, yeah, if we have to spend 30 minutes or a couple hours or even a day roaming around and gearing up after death before we meet back up with our friends it really doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things. Most of the time we are alive, together, and cooperating and communicating to accomplish group-oriented activities. Honestly, a few hours alone is a nice break and a change of pace once in a long while.

Of course it's not for me to say ultimately, but DayZ does not strike me as a casual, short-session kind of game. If you only have 90 minutes to play once or twice a week, so that a 20 minute run seems prohibitive to your enjoyment of the game, then I'm not convinced DayZ is the place for you.

But, I honestly believe much of the complaint is hyperbole. I'm guessing your average DayZ player has a few hours at least each week to devote, so a 15, 20 or even 45 minute investment in that initial gear-up-and-meet phase is really not asking much, and it ultimately enhances the experience and encourages long-term survival. Some people regret losing gear when they die but honestly the biggest loss to me is contact with my group of friends. And I think that's cool. DayZ has made me value the company of friends more than equipment and gear.

If you spawn with your friend it would just be like "Oh, hey. There you are. Okay, let's play." But when you have to spawn alone and hunt and search and scavenge and communicate and claw your way to meet each other, it turns it into something of import. That moment you come up over the ridge and first see your friend, the giddy calls of "Is that you? Holy shit it's you!" and the relief you feel at finally having someone there to watch your back... it means so much more when you have had to put a little effort into it, you know?

"Nothing easy, nothing free." I think that's DayZ's motto. And for me it works. It makes the small things seem large. In most games, I take it for granted that my friends will be right there when I login, and if not they can "summon" me at a moment's notice. In DayZ if I login alone, I actually feel lonely - and I think that says something about this design direction.

Personally I like it.

I'm not asking you to feel the same way.

i think you get into this game way to much then. If you live for 10-15 days, your either playing on a very low pop server, your your server hopping for either loot or to snipe people. Either that or your way awsome at this game and everyone else sucks

It also shouldnt matter how much time people have to play the game, if they wanna start with a friend on the coast instead of spending time running to them, what harm is it to you? If you dont like it, you dont have to do it that way, simple as that

like i said you should not be able to spawn at an equiped player. It should only be limited to spawning in after death

give a special gun for toolbelt with 1 bullet that u can commit suicide and its locked for say 30 mins. fixed

It's certainly a good compromise for gameplay, Zed. But the other reason respawn is being disabled is because of the increased server load due to character creation. People's lack of patience is fucking up the servers for everyone else;

By rocket on reddit:

"The main issue is one of performance.

Creating a new character is the single most performance intensive operation the game/central server ever has to do. Each time this happens, it adds at least 0.2 seconds of pause to the server to devote to this task. Take a server with 50 people, you are starting to have real issues. Now imagine it with 100, or 150 people.

So at a base level, having people respawning to get where they want will simply not work. Adding in a "spawn area" is possible but I don't really like the idea.

That's why the waiting for character to create screen takes ages for some and that's the reason why respawn is no longer going to be spammable.

Ok, I got err, "removed" from the forum for a few days, but I read this thread when you first posted it.

Might not be relevant still, but I wrote this :

Being able to respawn to where you want is both unrealistic and a waste of server resources.

I believe every respawn the server must stop whatever it was doing and allocate 2 seconds of processing time, per spawn.

Not to mention a bunch of other factors, like spawning on people, which results in death, spawning next to people, etc.

This is a good way to minimize all this.

I completely agree with the second post by Zed. People should spawn in a certain area.

Bad luck if you aren't near your friends, start walking like everyone else.

It seems to be on of those "can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen" things.

I think it's an idea rocket should trial.

No.

I happen to like being able to meet up with friends with less than 10 minutes of running. Having to leg it for an hour is no fun even in the slightest.

People respawn to get where they want to be, whether be it close to friends or Cherno and Elektro to kit out for going north or whatever, so give them a choice of a few randomly selected areas and they can select the most appropriate one to them, -then- you can feel free to add a 60 minute timer of survival to get a new set of spawns to choose from. I don't think it's fair to complain about respawn spamming to get where you want when that's the fastest, easiest way to meet up with a friend. When I want to play with a friend, I want to play with my friend, not spend a boring hour running to them just so we can actually play the darn thing.

This sounds good but I can imagine some noob getting pinned to their spawn point by a sniper, lol.

I dont really get why people suicide... there is great loot and stuff at all spawn points kamenka got alot of deer stands around it and solinichity (sorry for bad spelling, too lazy too google :D) got military tents and the airfield to the north so really none of the spawn points are bad :/

No.

I happen to like being able to meet up with friends with less than 10 minutes of running. Having to leg it for an hour is no fun even in the slightest.

People respawn to get where they want to be, whether be it close to friends or Cherno and Elektro to kit out for going north or whatever, so give them a choice of a few randomly selected areas and they can select the most appropriate one to them, -then- you can feel free to add a 60 minute timer of survival to get a new set of spawns to choose from. I don't think it's fair to complain about respawn spamming to get where you want when that's the fastest, easiest way to meet up with a friend. When I want to play with a friend, I want to play with my friend, not spend a boring hour running to them just so we can actually play the darn thing.

"I'd rather be selfish and sacrifice special server resources because I don't want to walk without someone there to hold my hand"

I want to play with my friend, not spend a boring hour running to them just so we can actually play the darn thing.

Go play another game. DayZ is not for people who just want to play with eachother without the effort of reaching another.

OT: this is a good idea, I still see too many people dying right after they died the first time.

i think you get into this game way to much then. If you live for 10-15 days, your either playing on a very low pop server, your your server hopping for either loot or to snipe people. Either that or your way awsome at this game and everyone else sucks

Are you kidding? Even in the Cherno or Elektro Hotspots you can survive that long if your playing it safe and tactical (or in an experienced group) and in the North-East this is not a big deal at all.

OT: Honestly I´m okay with respawning as it is at the moment, it would give starting another direction if you are "locked" to a starting point for some time but i see as many advantages for the one solution than for the other.

I would just like to ask if someone could explain me why respawning should consume so many server ressources? I would think someone running in a building causing the server to calculate the loot and the zombies to spawn will cause more workload than choosing a spawn location from a small amount of possibilities and contact the hive to update the player inventory and coordinates. Everything else should be handled by the client?

Edited by okami

What about a minor spawn choice like:

-South-West

-South-East

-North-East

or just

South Shore

East Shore

I found this thread because my buddy, who is new to the game, is trying to spawn somewhat near me and telling me he can't force a respawn... I googled DayZ respawn to see if that option has been removed, and sure enough it has :(

Obviously reducing server strain is priority, but isn't the fact that people are spamming it in the first place a testament to how many players want to have some choice regarding where they start? Give players SOME level of choice and the argument is over... you shouldn't be able to pinpoint your spawn, but you shouldn't be forced into a shitty spot. Some players like to group up ASAP and others don't care as much... let the mechanics allow both styles.

Players will find a way to circumvent the restrictions... my buddy is suiciding by zombie repeatedly as I write this post...

I don't think it's fair to complain about respawn spamming to get where you want when that's the fastest, easiest way to meet up with a friend.

Yes, I absolutely can.

DayZ was not designed to give you things "fast and easy."

You're supposed to have to work for them.

The time you take to meet up with friends is meant to be part of what you lose when you die. It's part of the punishment for death. How is death ever going to be scary, disappointing or feel in any way like a loss if you can just click "Buddy Spawn" and be sitting in your best friends lap again in 5 minutes while he fans you and feeds you grapes?

Get up off your ass and jog for a few minutes. And if you find yourself doing this more than once or twice per month then maybe you need to practice not getting your lazy face shot off quite so often, eh?