Sign in to follow this  
rdubs

Encouraging co-op play - Survivor town

Possible idea to help enourage more coop play without trying to handicap the people who like to PVP.

Like most people I have been disappointed in the direction the game has taken. When it first started out, the newness of it encouraged people to work together. Now that newness has died off and it's turned into a KoS deathmatch because people started getting bored so more fun to kill other players, which means other players trust others less so more shoot-first, and the cycle continues and a KoS-everything outcome was inevitable.

Lots of people want game-mechanics ways of fixing it. But any kind of restrictions which target one kind of player inevitably snare un-targeted players in the net too, not to mention players spend a lot more time collectively in the game than the dev's do so eventually people discover work-arounds to do the bad behavior differently and the cycle continues. So I think the answer is to add things to the game which make coop more fun or interesting, instead of trying to figure out how to do it handicapping-wise. I also think a lot of what would be considered griefing is really people just bored with trying everything else out on the sandbox and being tired of it, so adding some kind of additional challenge might help.

My recommendation to the devs is this: create some kind of in-game support for survivor havens, which come under periodic zombie horde attacks. Remember that movie "I am Legend", where the lady Will Smith meets is trying to make it to that safe haven. Same thing with the Resident Evil movies, people are trying to make it to a survivor town they've heard of. The trick is that the game mechanics would allow the building of defenses and things not currently enabled by the game when enough people work together, but that would be offset by there would be no loot which spawns within the survivor town. That forced players to go out into the rest of the map to harvest supplies and bring them back, and it is there where the risk of meeting other pvp-oriented players lies. But at the same time, since you can't produce supplies in-town it forces you out into the rest of the map. And to keep it interesting, you would have periodic zombie horde attacks on the town which I think would be awesome. That would give currently bored players some kind of objective which currently doesn't exist (help defend the town against zombie horde waves), while also helping to create the need to go harvest supplies.

My favorite kinds of scenarious to run back on Operation Flashpoint and Arma (1) were the defend / siege scenarios. I think most people enjoyed them. This would be a way of encouraging a LOT of coordination and cooperation, and give people something to do beyond the endless "see how long you can not get killed" which gets kind of boring after a while and so people take to killing other players just to have something to do. It also gives freshly spawned players an objective - see if you can find where the survivor town is, make your way to it and get some help, then pitch in and help others trying to do the same.

Edited by Rdubs
  • Like 1

That would be really cool,

You could have the number of zombies attacking randomly increased decreased. to remove the predictability of surviving.

Survivors would be valued, over bandits. because there is that higher chance they're going to not kill you because they want to stay in the town.

while bandits would still have a huge role in the game. they could make ambushes on town leavers etc etc. which gives an arma 2 feel to the game i guess...

i dont think this mod would be able to replace the atmosphere of the game at the moment though.

It requires a lot of change to the 'independent survivors' who stay in small groups and dont like a crowd. pretty much 'dayz introverts' would be pushed out to rule cherno wilderness and small towns. (with the hackers and bandits)

• Like 1

Like most people I have been disappointed in the direction the game has taken.

Incorrect and without any basis in fact to support it.

LOL @ the guy who clearly doesn't read any forum topics he doesn't already agree with. Here's one you probably missed.

http://dayzmod.com/f...tor-for-d-bags/

Oh really? Check my post history pal. Considering you have all of 7 posts on this forum, I'll be sure and take your word as gospel once you finish your research.

I think dayZ coul use player triggered events linked to mini-bosses: killing the rare crazy doctor at hospital could trigger medical supply drop, killing butcher at supermarket could cause mass zombie spawn, killing general at base could trigger helicopter crash (to be fixed), killing lumberjack in woods provides survival kit, killing zombie engineer in power plat causes gas leak & explosions. Killing the zombie poliece in towns increases zombie spawns. Killing enough poliece causes a zombie poliece chief spawn. Killing zombie chief reduces zombie spawn for 6hrs.

I would make these bosses obscenly tough.

• Like 1

Oh really? Check my post history pal. Considering you have all of 7 posts on this forum, I'll be sure and take your word as gospel once you finish your research.

Because posters definitely read more than lurkers.

[On-topic]

I too agree the KoS stuff is fairly annoying, and the only people who won't kill you are people that don't know how to play/are new/are useless to you.

I'd like the idea of a player town. Maybe a bandit would even be able to take down the survivors. Dunno why he would, maybe just to be a dick, but that's meta-gaming, not real life, and people like that need to be slapped irl imo. =) A real bandit (as opposed to a griefer) would wait for them to go out on their own and steal supplies.

Edited by Jurisnoctis

Again, LOL. If all your other posts are 10 words and as uninformative as your first, 200 posts is really not an achievement. Most people understand that there is a difference between posting quantity and posting quality and the two are not correleated. I don't know anyone who thinks the guy who spends the most time talking on Teamspeak adds the most to the channel. In my opinion the number of posts one reads is more important than the number of posts one replies to, and I've only just recently started posting. If my position, and those above who support an idea like this, is as worthless as you claim then if you want to add value to the discussion then merely explain why you think there isn't a problem in the first place. Realize that you're not just talking to me but everyone else who has posted so far on this thread too, and everyone else who has posted in similar threads. I guess we're all incorrect and factless too.

Again, LOL. If all your other posts are 10 words and as uninformative as your first, 200 posts is really not an achievement. Most people understand that there is a difference between posting quantity and posting quality and the two are not correleated. I don't know anyone who thinks the guy who spends the most time talking on Teamspeak adds the most to the channel. In my opinion the number of posts one reads is more important than the number of posts one replies to, and I've only just recently started posting. If my position, and those above who support an idea like this, is as worthless as you claim then if you want to add value to the discussion then merely explain why you think there isn't a problem in the first place. Realize that you're not just talking to me but everyone else who has posted so far on this thread too, and everyone else who has posted in similar threads. I guess we're all incorrect and factless too.

Which is why I told you to read my post history , taken quite simply that your initial accusation would be disproven if you did, but you didnt and still haven't. You chose to read it as 'post count' becuase that's an easy thing to argue against and a foolish thing to brag about.

Moving on , my first post in this thread was calling out the OP on his claim that 'most people'..I'd like to see the proof for such wild claims, is that so unreasonable?

Also, at no point did I say 'worthless' , now you're just venting little man. Any opposition to these whine threads seems to bring characters like yourself out.

Edited by DryGulch

Moving on , my first post in this thread was calling out the OP on his claim that 'most people'..I'd like to see the proof for such wild claims, is that so unreasonable?

That's your whole point? The word "most"? Good job on focusing on a technical wording and completely missing the point of the point. You are correct, to use the word "most" means the majority of players and there's little way to measure that. No doubt I should have used the word "many". So thanks for adding value to the discussion. "Little Man" LOL.

You two must be new here. Taking everything so srs and all. Welcome to the internet. Stop flooding someones thread with your useless arguing. Argue in pm's if you must since i'm pretty sure nobody but the two of you involved care to see it.