Sign in to follow this  
+Ben+

What a Difference a Day Makes...

Just wanted to share my experience that led me to decide to become a medic in this harsh world called Chernarus.

I started playing DayZ about a month and a half ago and up until the last few days i spent my time in game avoiding everyone and everything just to survive. I would run from every player or group i bumped into and would only really go into towns for the hell of it, just to sneak around and have a look what was about loot wise. I wouldnt dream of going near the NW airfield. I was just surviving, and although i know surviving is a big part of DayZ, i was starting to get a little bit bored if I'm honest.

And that was the case until a few days ago when i found myself in a server that had side chat enabled for some reason. i was just doing my usual thing roaming the countryside and checking out random things i'd seen on the map when someone asked for help in side chat. They were stuck outside Vybor and down to a thousand or so blood and needed a transfusion quite badly. So i decide to see if i could help. I ran full pelt for 20 mins or so to Vybor until i had him in view.

I was scared sh*tless to be honest. What was i doing? My character had been alive for over 20 days and i had pretty much every bit of survival gear that i'd collected on my travels, and there was every possibilty that this guy was just going to shoot me in the face and take my lootz once i'd given him the transfusion. But down i went to his position, and luckily his vision was so bad by now due to bloodloss that he couldnt even see me when i was 5 feet in front of him.

So i gave him the transfusion and got ready to start shooting back in case he opened fire on me. Turns out he was pretty sound and we went loot hunting for a bit together, which was when i found my gps (sorry to whoevers tent that was i took it from by the way, but you shouldn't have left it in such an open place :P ). I lost him after the server restarted while we were going for the north barracks at the NW airfield, and when i logged back in to the server side chat no longer worked and i was in the trees next to the barracks on my own. Escaping the airfield was a scary experience just in itself but thats a whole other story!

So thats why i became a medic, in one day i went from hiding from everyone to being a white listed medic actively running round trying to get people back on their feet again. I have to say that its an incredibly satisfying feeling you get from helping someone else survive to loot another day, and theres always somebody who needs a hand or a med supply run into the hospital that needs to be done so your always doing something.

I would wholly recommend becoming a medic to anyone who wants to help others in DayZ. And if you dont feel like actually going and applying first aid to a patient you can help in other ways like collecting med supplies or providing transport for a medic en route to a patient. I'm sure any medic would be greatful of a little bit of help themselves every so often.

Wow. I've just read back through this and its actually pretty long, so if you have read all of it, thankyou for your time. :)

For everyone else:

TL;DR

Spent my time hiding from everyone, now a white listed medic after helping someone in a side chat enabled server. Would recommend becoming a medic to anyone who wants to help people out.

• Like 14

Nice one. Thats what makes this game rock. Not everyone is a banditarseholekindaperson Go the medics. ( i play on us servers or nz. the uk ones ping to high for me. but its nice to hear your story. and sadly i wont be calling. however im sure many players will thank ypu for what your doing. and YES. it was a long post. LMAO

I appreciate you medics. While i may resort to.. Less then noble methods of socialization. Medics are safe in my ROE. As long as i can recognize you. Everyone else is out for themselves. You guys are out from everyone else. Even people like me.

Nice one. Thats what makes this game rock. Not everyone is a banditarseholekindaperson Go the medics. ( i play on us servers or nz. the uk ones ping to high for me. but its nice to hear your story. and sadly i wont be calling. however im sure many players will thank ypu for what your doing. and YES. it was a long post. LMAO

I'm happy to join any server to help a patient out, wherever the servers located. I dont usually find lag/high ping too noticeable so its never a problem if you do need help. I do prefer a night server for an assist though, just in case somebody does try to betray me after i've helped them, it's them a damn sight more difficult for them to see to shoot me unless they have nvg's of course. :D

Glad you found an interest within the game to make both yourself and others happy! In terms of gathering medical supplies do you have any tips? Do you only do it at night or on low population servers?

Ben also makes awesome roasted wild boar steaks. Nothing like a BBQ with the guy who just patched you up :)

• Like 2

It was fun to read your story Ben :)

Looking back I can't believe some of the things I did before I decided to sign up as a medic.

Back in April when the side chat was still on in every server I found myself running from Pustoshka to Pusta without a map and no compass looking to help some poor guy stuck in a barn.

My first patient and the first one I lost. Bastards got to him before me... I can still hear the gunshot from the barn.

Glad you found an interest within the game to make both yourself and others happy! In terms of gathering medical supplies do you have any tips? Do you only do it at night or on low population servers?

I tend to do most of supply runs at night now that i've got some nvg's. But i also have a former patient who hooks me up with a daily supply of meds as well.

Good luck being a medic. Not new, but i like the role playing. Would be nice if medics get a special skin. I hope that i don't kill one by accident. :(

Nice to hear the story of a fellow medic to such extent (I'm still newbie both in the game and being a medic but I have managed to help a few people during the little time I've had to play). I myself happened to read about Dr Wasteland even before I got DayZ and I thought it was pretty cool.I've always been bit of a carebear in all the games I've played as well, never really been interested in pvp so I'd rather go around helping people. When I finally got DayZ less than a week ago and was reading around guides and stuff on how to survive the first days, I happened to stumble upon Dr Wasteland's "Need Medical Assistance?" -thread and knew immediately how I would spend my time in DayZ.

My first patient was already on my third life (first life I got mauled by zombies when still learning the ropes, second time I got shot by a bandit while talking to the first friendly fellow survivor I met ._.), I had just raided a hospital for the first time and was stocked and saw someone in the previously mentioned thread asking for assistance fairly close by so I pmed him and he accepted help from a random newb like me and we set up a meet, I fixed his legs and gave him some blood and we both went on our happy ways.

Edited by Solanum

I tend to do most of supply runs at night now that i've got some nvg's. But i also have a former patient who hooks me up with a daily supply of meds as well.

why do you do it at night

why do you do it at night

At night you can crouch run on grass with only 1 bar of hearing and 0 bars of vision, so i can choose my path through town and stick to back gardens to get in and out as quickly as possible. Carrying a Bizon SD allows me to make to kill any zombies i do accidentally aggro without ringing the dinner bell so to speak for the rest of towns flesh hungry inhabitants :lol: