The Killing Joke

You, you and you. You are all part of the problem.

Ctrl x2 - put the barrel of that damn winny down and we can talk.

Shooting first to prevent maybe getting shot is laziness. Don't want to have to do that? Pay attention and do your best NOT to let it happen. You will have to deal with the occasional psychotic murderface.

If you run into another player with your gun up, having not made yourself known, saying nothing chances are you will be the engineer of your own demise.

Whatever - if you want things to be different running around like a numpty shooting at everyone is not going to achieve it...

+1 Hardtarget. I feel EVERY player should read this before playing or posting on these forums. There are far too many players that don't understand how important intel gathering is.

What we really need is a sense of humanity in this game. Not in the sense of some sort of meter, but in the form of "Wow, I'm really taking this guy's life just for a can of beans. I really don't care how hard he worked to survive that long".

This is the sense of morals I think most players need, instead of treating this like "lol I took ur stuff noob"

SHit I thought I Was on the Tribes Ascend forums.. Carry on.

@ Valhingen, you don't need to, just be weary when you see someone. If you want to make the right choice, I'd suggest myself (Although feel free to play the way you want) that you observe the person first. How does he interact with others? With the enviroment? Is he even someone you'd want to group up with?

I've watched people and seen them backstab, shoot on sight, or generally run around and attract the entire city on them. These were the people I avoided. I then saw some who were a bit more cautious, who still shot others on sight, and avoided them. When I see someone who's however, cautious and doesn't just open fire on the get-go, I sometimes group up with them (I tend to stick alone or in my own personal group of friends), or I let them be.

@ TKJ, glad you enjoyed it, also the P6 Mantra is something I picked up while watching a documentary on Army Snipers, so there's a reason it works damn well.

@Redz, Thanks a lot, although I personally feel it's a bit common sense, as my friend says "Common Sense has become Uncommon Sense these days".

@Ariel, couldn't agree more, the "Raise/Lower Weapon Toggle" is something that should be exercised a lot, as it is IRL with Weapon Safety (just as with Trigger Discipline). Don't point your weapon at another (I understand pistols are a bit more finnicky atm though).

@Jorden, there is, and as Rocket has stated he doesn't want an artificial system in to promote it. We as the players have to decide ourselves how this pans out, so if we want it to end up other than a Deathmatch, we got to work to make it more than a deathmatch. Here's to making that happen.

@LordOpeth, I lol'd.

Long story short...after reading many such discussions I was juuuust about to submit and join the shoot-on-sight club and hated the thought - but you made a great point' date=' so I will keep dieing more often than others for now :)[/quote']

I wouldn't be so negative about it. The more I fail, the more I learn about the mechanics, and I learn more about how "not to die" so much.

:D

What we really need is a sense of humanity in this game. Not in the sense of some sort of meter' date=' but in the form of "Wow, I'm really taking this guy's life just for a can of beans. I really don't care how hard he worked to survive that long". This is the sense of morals I think most players need, instead of treating this like "lol I took ur stuff noob"[/quote']

And you and I are the architects of this! It all starts with us, my friend! (Now, you're getting what I mean.)

Has anyone read the real life stories by a guy named Selco whose town was cut off for a year during the Balkan wars? Google: selco survival. He talks a lot about how "humanity" degraded, and that the only people you could trust were very close friends and family. Shootings happened frequently if you ventured out in the day. Air drops of supplies on the hills around the town resulted in a "Hunger Games" type of chaos.

I think DayZ is giving us exactly the same thing--huge trust issues causing lots of shoot-first situations. I have learned my lesson already trying to be "nice." Now, if I am in a superior position, well armed, well supplied, and you have not seen me yet, I may let you pass, or initiate dialogue. Otherwise, I am probably going to shoot. I just can't trust you, or I am so desperate for supplies I need yours. To me that is realistic and the way it should be.

Me i simply stopped playing on multiplay servers. every 2 feet i was getting gunned down by random people who were not even bandits.

and the one time i retaliated? thats right I ended up the bandit.

maby I will come back now... maby this will help bring some of the trust back.

I doubt it.

Ill come back once the surge of battlefield and COD prats dies down.

Me i simply stopped playing on multiplay servers. every 2 feet i was getting gunned down by random people who were not even bandits.

I guess that heavily depends on whether you are alone or not. Once I teamed up with a friend of mine and we made our way to Stary Sobor we encountered many other survivors. But because we were rather cautios, i.e. one of us always covering the other our encounters have been rather good-natured, Trading food for blood packs / matches etc. Or maybe we were just lucky :-P

but as a general advice: get the funk off the coast as fast as you can, because either you'll get sniped by bandits or get killed by other survivors that just spawned and got NOTHING to lose.

Has anyone read the real life stories by a guy named Selco whose town was cut off for a year during the Balkan wars? Google: selco survival. He talks a lot about how "humanity" degraded' date=' and that the only people you could trust were very close friends and family. Shootings happened frequently if you ventured out in the day. Air drops of supplies on the hills around the town resulted in a "Hunger Games" type of chaos.

I think DayZ is giving us exactly the same thing--huge trust issues causing lots of shoot-first situations. I have learned my lesson already trying to be "nice." Now, if I am in a superior position, well armed, well supplied, and you have not seen me yet, I may let you pass, or initiate dialogue. Otherwise, I am probably going to shoot. I just can't trust you, or I am so desperate for supplies I need yours. To me that is realistic and the way it should be.

[/quote']

I think someone finally understands the point of this game. I wish everyone else could.

There should not be bandit skins. Period. This is a pseudo end-of-days simulation that aims, according to Rocket, to be as brutal as possible. That means no hand holding. No waypoints. No mercy. Everyone needs to grow a pair of nuts and play this game like a man. Bandit skins are ridiculous. I am glad they are going to be gone and I don't even kill anyone. Although, the Bandit skins themselves look AWESOME.

bandit skins weren't broken, and they weren't arbitrary. everyone knows the criteria for getting one. if they glowed in the dark, then that wasn't a very good skin. whether the skins make a difference to how you play, or who you trust, etc, is not a universal, that's simply different people playing different ways, and that seems to be the focus of a lot of threads: why everyone else in the multiplayer is a problem; so the game allows for many things, that's why we love it, but people should be only doing This or That, and those that don't are why it sucks.

The Killing Joke, personally i agree with your summation, but for the bulk of what you are saying i don't see that the game 'agrees'.

it's pointless to have skins that don't reflect the few stats/states we have, unless you believe the elaborations on 3d gaming are just eye candy. in any other game i would expect some visual difference between a survivor and a predator, that's as ordinary and commonplace in a game as particle blood when you bleed, or doors swinging open when they are opened.

there is a limited range of what you can do in the mod- that is its strength- and it WOULD be great if something about your state or activity could be reflected. because the gameplay is small in scope, i think it can be done. so i'm glad humanity is still somewhere in the works.

What we really need is a sense of humanity in this game. Not in the sense of some sort of meter' date=' but in the form of "Wow, I'm really taking this guy's life just for a can of beans...."[/quote'] giving a sense of gravity into the experience is the mission of most games.. they often fail! but the map succeeds in doing that with it's simulation, even more effectively than a rpg with massive amounts of text and background fiction. the rest is up to the personality of the player.

You continue to prove my points' date=' day in and day out. Thank you.

[/quote']

You're welcome

I would still like to see the bandit system getting another go in the future only more 'sophisticated' and tweaked.

Personally I had to suffer the consequences of murdering another player when I first played the game. Shortly after I commited the crime I ran into two other survivors and managed to gain their trust only to get shot in the back for being a bandit. The reason given was that they couldnt trust me. That was one of the moments that really opened my eyes to what an amazing mod this is.

Ok here's a problem with not having a morality system... there's no consequence for being a psychotic murderer, none at all. There's no identifying details. Nothing that will make you look any different than Ted Bundy. You can change your name and no one will ever be the wiser. Even if someone happens to watch you murder another survivor in cold blood from 10 feet away. The next day you could run right up to the guy and never know it was him. (I play on servers without crosshairs and without name tags)

There's a reason the internet brings out the the dickwad in people. Because there is anonymity and no consequence for your actions. That's what we're going to have now.

I know what your thinking, "but this is a zombie apocalypse there aren't any rules or consequence there either." True, however if your not a sneaky murderer as you think. Say someone sees you walking away from a guy with a gunshot wound to the back of his head. They'll remember you should they ever run into you again. That's not the case in this game... you can't really tell one survivor from another. Names can be changed, faces can be changed.

You've asked for and gotten a world free of consequence. And now your trying to say if we all turn in to murdering dickwads it's our fault? Please...

Dude, chill. I used to get riled up like you, believe me, but then I stopped for a second and looked.

rocket is working on allowing players to loot skins. If I was a bandit, and wanted to kill players, why would I dress differently? There was never meant to be an anti-grifing measure in this mod anyways, that's part of it. This may simply not be the game you want, and that's okay, a LOT of players are finding that out now.

What we really need is a sense of humanity in this game. Not in the sense of some sort of meter' date=' but in the form of "Wow, I'm really taking this guy's life just for a can of beans. I really don't care how hard he worked to survive that long". This is the sense of morals I think most players need, instead of treating this like "lol I took ur stuff noob"[/quote']

And you and I are the architects of this! It all starts with us, my friend! (Now, you're getting what I mean.)

Here's the problem: People don't care. Whether they would or not in a real environment is irrelevant. The game culture used to be this way, having a sense of decency and morality, but has since lost it (why else are we having to fight left and right to avoid censorship?).

There is a respawn system and you're shooting digital hitboxes, there's no level of humanity involved. No matter how many ways you try to string it, the core of this game is still based on the concept of Slayer/Free For All/Deathmatch. That's all gamers have been playing for ages, and that's all they're going to play. You can say people "should" have something until everyone is blue in the face (or until it begins raining and we all die of hypothermia) but that's never going to change that this is still these things:

A game

A deathmatch

With respawns

And no souls go to Hell on death.

It's all about anonymity, the fact that you can do whatever you want and nobody will be able to touch you. Your buddy next to you can do what...make you respawn again? You'll just be back with a CZ in 20 minutes to laugh/rape him.

Trust no one' date=' not even yourself, I told myself I wouldnt kill anyone who was a survivor, but I have...times were hard and I was red in food and water...and far away from nearest town...not excuseable, but I did it. You will to.

[/quote']

And people like you are the reason why I'm going to shoot first from now on.

Case in point, just logged on after playing last night under 1.5.8.1, so almost instantly had an infection after losing 70 temp last night before the hotfix.

Flashing red water and food, dropping health massively (due to reduced Blood total and starvation/thirst).

I STILL didn't go and murder the newbies at Balota, but ran into the wilderness, killed a sheep to keep my blood up and found a shack with some pepsi.

@Killing Joke:-

The system DID have its flaws, and it didn't work 100% of the time, but it was far better to have in that it was to not have it in.

It meant that you could identify the serial PKers - those who did it for the "lulz", and those who had robbed and murdered their fellow players as their playstyle.

Yes, a few people would have gotten a skin without necessarily meriting it - but frankly not the number who claim innocence. I've murdered two people in the game and not hit bandit Humanity. People who claim to "kill one person in self defense and are now a bandit" are lying, plain and simple.

Humanity regains so fast as it is, and working as a group makes it go even faster (with giving people Tranfuses and the like) - so unless you go on a rampage, you won't have had a skin.

But even then, people worked with Bandits who weren't hostile - all it took was them announcing their location before you jumped out and put "friendly?" in chat.

Instead though, we have the skin removed and less than 24hours in, I've already witnessed massive sprees going on on the coast through the safety of my Binocs. God only knows what will happen when those who already HAVE the skins have them removed.

This is the best thread on this entire forum!

I for one have stopped playing the game as well... I had 2 choices kill everyone I came in contact with or stop playing the game. I chose the later.

The P6 concept is a good idea and all, but it's still a 50% chance that another player could spot you before you spot them, which 95% of the time you will be killed like I have.

I still have a chracter on the server loaded with loot and I was somewhere in the northeast section of the map, however as I've learned from my partner, that as of 1.5.8, I'll be put right back on the coast.

For now I'm going to sit back & watch things unfold, my best guess from watching gamers over the years, is that this game will indeed become a pvp deathmatch with a few zombies thrown in here & there. I'm seeing less people (youtube videos) willing to take the chance on trusting others or others that glorifiy going on killing sprees!

It seems very few players are willing to play the game as a true survival zombie apocalypse type of senario and are content playing the game as they've always played multiplayer games, "shoot everything in sight", it's the way they've been trained since online gaming started.

This is the best thread on this entire forum!

I for one have stopped playing the game as well... I had 2 choices kill everyone I came in contact with or stop playing the game. I chose the later.

The P6 concept is a good idea and all' date=' but it's still a 50% chance that another player could spot you before you spot them, which 95% of the time you will be killed like I have.

I still have a chracter on the server loaded with loot and I was somewhere in the northeast section of the map, however as I've learned from my partner, that as of 1.5.8, I'll be put right back on the coast.

For now I'm going to sit back & watch things unfold, my best guess from watching gamers over the years, is that this game will indeed become a pvp deathmatch with a few zombies thrown in here & there. I'm seeing less people (youtube videos) willing to take the chance on trusting others or others that glorifiy going on killing sprees!

It seems very few players are willing to play the game as a true survival zombie apocalypse type of senario and are content playing the game as they've always played multiplayer games, "shoot everything in sight", it's the way they've been trained since online gaming started.

[/quote']

I blame (insert popular FPS that touts itself as realistic here), just saying.

Unfortunately, you can paint a chair up all you want, but it's still a chair for sitting, not for survival. ArmA2 is no exception, DayZ paints it up in a beautiful light, but DayZ can never escape its ArmA2 roots: Team Deathmatch. We can say it's all about zombie survival, but at the end of the day we're still killing each other because for some reason Darwin was right.

If anything, I say DayZ is either ahead of its time (but better now than later in my opinion!) or it requires more intelligence than other FPS multiplayer to FULLY appreciate.

I'm really glad we have so many assholes that play this mod and frequent this forum. I'd hate to be the only one.

Not pointing at anyone specifically, but we really do have a bunch of whiny crying assholes here. Rocket must be obese by now.

It makes you wonder how society was ever formed since I think indeed this may be one of the goals of this mod.

There's nothing in the game that encourages grouping together for survival.

You can all argue whether or not this should be the case, but that's the state of the game.

You can all decide how you all want to play the game but there are hardcore spergs who want this game to be certain way or else you remove the 'realism' they feel when they play a mod about a zombie apocalypse.

The only way to group up and trust each other is to do it out of the game. You have to coordinate and post on the forums, or on another forum, and get on someone's TS/Mumble/whatever.

There aren't a lot of organic situations that come about in this game that encourage grouping together or cooperation. There just isn't. You either decide yourself to make those reasons, or you don't. Some people want to live in a singular survivalist world, and other people want to group together.

That's just the state of the game as it is. If you want it to change, stop complaining about some silly bandit system. Start asking for more features and reasons to group together from the guy making the mod.

As a community as a whole we could stop the:

"Shoot first, ask questions later" mentality. You can always get more beans or a backpack, but you may not find another friend.

Doesn't that sound sweet?

What a wall of text, but overall you just seem mad. Don't like it, don't play. Plenty of people are able to get groups of friends to play and work together, and enough to keep servers populated and alive. I know my group's rule is KOS for anyone who is not in our voice channel. We have too much gear to risk losing anything, and honestly I don't care about your experience.

...and honestly I don't care about your experience.

Sadly, this seems to be a rather common mindset these days.

TJ |RUS|' pid='50916' dateline='1337724539']

What a wall of text' date=' but overall you just seem mad. Don't like it, don't play. Plenty of people are able to get groups of friends to play and work together, and enough to keep servers populated and alive. I know my group's rule is KOS for anyone who is not in our voice channel. We have too much gear to risk losing anything, and honestly I don't care about your experience.

[/quote']

Problem with that extremely narrowed minded view is that how is someone ever going join your group or show their friendliness if they're getting killed on sight all the time? They aren't? Well that's the problem. It's a terrible approach and doesn't leave any space for the numerous friendlies that do exist and do just want to go about their own business and own way, not giving a damn about you.

Surely if someone is quite far away and it's obvious they aren't a threat you should leave them be :dodgy:.