scouski

What kind of landscape would you like to see in a DayZ stand alone game?

A Brief Intro...

Hello, my name is Deda. This would be my first thread and one I hope can be discussed in a civil manner without too many people raging at each other. This is less of a suggestion of ideas thread on my part, but more so something I'd like to see discussed by everyone. I've been watching the many interviews that Rocket has participated in these past few weeks and one question that I've been wanting to hear answered and explored is one I have heard nothing of; What kind of landscape would you like to be the setting of a DayZ stand alone game?

Feel absolutely free to criticize, suggest ideas and any improvements or mistakes I may have made in writing.

Potential Settings & Possible Limitations

Fiction or Non-Fictional setting? (by fictional I don't mean a WoW or Guild Wars design style)

​Fictional Setting

Pros:

• Developers/Designers can be creative
  • Viewer input...

Cons:

• A less authentic feel
  • Viewer input...

​Non-Fictional Setting

Pros:

• Authentic experience
  • Viewer input...

Cons:

• Less room to be creative
  • Viewer input...

Landscapes? (Non-Fiction)

• Western European
  • Eastern European
  • North America
  • South America
  • A mixture of all settings?
  • Viewer input...

A Question Of Potential..

I know we'd all love huge cities with all enterable buildings, but I'm pretty sure there are some limitations. As far as how densely populated the setting should be with industrial and residential buildings, what is the potential capacity? Who knows. I guess only Rocket could answer that himself, but feel free to weigh in on this.

• Like 1

Takistan

in all seriousness, a vast countryside like the current map would be fine, all that i would like to see is more modern Cities.

Edited by T.Irish
  • Like 3

"fictional" with heavy inspiration from an actual location, just like the current game. Means the devs can blend the feeling of authenticity but not be shackled by the downsides of w/e location.

I like the rolling forests of the current game. Canada / Eastern Europe. It feels so "right" for survival. I'd like a single enormous city too as well as cherno / elektro sized "city towns". Some super high mountain areas with snow would be a plus also.

Edited by itputsthelotion
  • Like 4

Personally I would love to see the landscape be varied in the sense that it could have:

Coastal areas

Grassland

Tundra

Mountains

Much higher snowy areas

Desert areas are a no-go and would be heavily specified.

I still think Eastern Europe would be the best option. I love the fact that the signs are in Cyrillic and the landscape is somewhat different from the norm. The fact that it avoids the usual stereotypical apocalyptic areas (New York, London, etc) is what gives Chernarus character.

For the above options to work the playing area would have to be significant but each of those biomes would provide a different play-style, in conjunction with hazards native to that area.

Just my thoughts.

I really like the feel of the current map, it suits the style well. I think the next game world should definatley be based on a real location..It's because of this that DayZ has a unique feel to it. I'm not too fussed about what country it's in but nice open wilderness dotted with towns works well for me.

As long as it's not in America I'll be a happy chappy.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 4

Why not in America? I think that if it took place in Argentina, Chile or even in some parts of Ecuador then it would be very cool. There are some great cities there with beautiful mountain ranges, plains and rolling hills.

i like the zones of wilderness interrupted by industrial areas or small town..maybe a really big town..i'd like to see seasons and have to concern about temperature..

Why not in America? I think that if it took place in Argentina, Chile or even in some parts of Ecuador then it would be very cool. There are some great cities there with beautiful mountain ranges, plains and rolling hills.

Yup, my mistake. I meant Northern America.

this eastern europe setting is fine but needs bigger factories with underground levels or maybe some caves at wilderness.

• Like 1

I'm playing metro 2033 at the moment and the feel of the landscape in that game is incredible! I could just imagine that kind of setting, buildings broken, snow falling, underground hideouts and zombies roaming all over the place.

Damn that would be my dream game then :D

I want some snowy areas where you will freeze to death incredibly quick without proper clothing, move incredibly slow without proper boots and see incredibly fuckall without proper eye-protection like goggles or a fish tank.

I'm playing metro 2033 at the moment and the feel of the landscape in that game is incredible! I could just imagine that kind of setting, buildings broken, snow falling, underground hideouts and zombies roaming all over the place.

Damn that would be my dream game then :D

well you should play stalker (first game) if you liked the metro. I wish they copied stalker maps to dayz. would be awesome.

Desert and real cities like L.A or new york if. not saying it should be in north america just city stuff like that you know. but the way the map is now is perfect i just think its a little small :S

I find the current map very fitting for the game. It's not too much crawling in the cities, but you do have smaller towns not more than 15 minutes from each other.

I think the whole idea of having big plains, possibly with some hills like we have in Cheranus to be nice. I do think the forests are needed too, otherwise it would not make much difference from a desert honestly.

I guess a flatland map could be cool, but it would require a lot of buildings and/or forests. If the map is too open it would ruin most of the traveling and such.

I like it how it is now. tropical and snow are overused in games IMO

well you should play stalker (first game) if you liked the metro. I wish they copied stalker maps to dayz. would be awesome.

Variation of weather allows for different kinds of atmosphere, wish it would be introduced... so far there is no snow and no really windy days ;)

• Non-fictional
  • North america
  • Rural
  • ALL BUILDINGS ENETERABLE OR NOT ON THE MAP.

I like it how it is now. tropical and snow are overused in games IMO

I just want snow to fall and then have snow stay on the ground and eventually go away again. Not an only snow map :)
  • Like 1

I just want snow to fall and then have snow stay on the ground and eventually go away again. Not an only snow map :)

Seasons would be great.

• Like 2

STALKER rocked. This map actually has a similar feel because of the Russian vibe. It's off topic and has been discussed before but I'd love to see the gun wear and tear from STALKER in DayZ.

• Like 2

I'd like to see Zombies replaced with Replicants. and give us a neon dark city..

BladerunnerZ

or NexusZ?

:P

Seasons would be great.

I've never thought about seasons before, that would be cool. Maybe an in-game season could last 2 weeks in real time. You should start a thread.