Sign in to follow this  
slugsmoneygirls

put log out timer and make guns do less damage to players

I don't agree with OP but want to point out that a) 9k is not 2/3 of 12k B) 12k doesn't represent all your blood in game, it is some number which represents am mount of blood that should be lost, before you die. Just try to keep logical, if you want to talk about realism.

Anyway, op's ideas are terrible. The only kinda worth any talking about is logout timer, but it is being implemented, along with some technical to stop server hopping and alt-f4. So, really, nothing new here

I liked his idea for making Zed's more difficult too though ;)

luck has nothing to do with anything in this mod besides loot spawn. if someone saw you first, its because YOU were not being careful enough. and if they kill you on the first bullet? NOT LUCK. its called aim. they took their time, snuck up, and took you out like a pro. this isnt a run and gun shooter, you have to be alert and pay attention to your surroundings. You need to develop an eye to catch thing sthat are out of place that hint towards the presence of another player. PvP in a nutshell.

dude once i logged onto a server and walked down the stairs of a building to find a dude with his back facing towards me. i shot him and took his stuff. totally skill aye.

in large cities it is almost impossible to have constant recon updates of every single area from which you can be shot from unless you are playing with like 20-30 friends...... face it, lots of the time its luck. you do a quick scan of your surroundings every know and then to increase the chances that someone might not walk into you from an unfavorable angle. it is impossible to look in every direction at all times if you havent realised. there is a lot of luck/probability involved.

i just proved it with a simple fact- i will repeat

it is impossible to look in every direction at all times

people can shoot at you from any direction when in the open

-

i dont think realism something that rockket should try to strive for and i dont think he is.-- this is the point im trying to make i dont think you get it. I DONT THINK REALISM IS ALWAYS THE RIGHT WAY TO DO THINGS. i think the game will be more fun if he increases the time to kill and gets rid of all the RNG bs....

this is a zombie game in which people die because they didnt eat for a couple of hours and bleeding can be stopped with bandages no matter how bad the wounds and drinking from stagnant water is perfectly safe.....

first off, fun is objective to one's point of view. i currently think the game is fun as hell.

second off, fun is not what rocket is striving for. he wants dayz to be gritty, dark, and difficult.

thirdly, i can't imagine putting even more bullets into someone being more fun. this just drags the fight out and lets anyone else who heard the gunfire have a better chance of joining in and ending it for both of them. if you really want to shoot people more before they die, try using the M4A1 CCO SD, or any suppressed weapon for that matter. combined with the lag, you can put a whole mag into someone point blank before they collapse. does that sound like fun to you?

dude once i logged onto a server and walked down the stairs of a building to find a dude with his back facing towards me. i shot him and took his stuff. totally skill aye.

in large cities it is almost impossible to have constant recon updates of every single area from which you can be shot from unless you are playing with like 20-30 friends...... face it, lots of the time its luck. you do a quick scan of your surroundings every know and then to increase the chances that someone might not walk into you from an unfavorable angle. it is impossible to look in every direction at all times if you havent realised. there is a lot of luck/probability involved.

i just proved it with a simple fact- i will repeat

it is impossible to look in every direction at all times

people can shoot at you from any direction when in the open

-

this isnt skill, far from it. he could have heard the footsteps you made while coming down though, which gave him a chance, but he was probably really new or listening to music.

you also had a major advantage from spawning there, which is why i never abort when in buildings. you could spawn in another player's sights, or the other way around, which is completely unfair.

on the all angles note, you may not be able to SEE at all angles, but you can HEAR in 360. if they dont move, learn to check your sectors, check rooftops, windows, doorways. you dont think strategically whatsoever, do you? if you dont get tunnel vision or walk out in the open for long periods of time, people wont get the drop on you. im always the first one to make a move when im at a high PvP location because of the simple fact that i stay alert. you can use the free look button to turn your head without turning your body, which is very helpful in achieving this. its all about the way you play, not a roll of the dice.

Edited by Epsilon 349

my apologies here if i have insulted rocket personally. i like the guy and like what he is doing. need more people like him in the games industry..

first off, fun is objective to one's point of view. i currently think the game is fun as hell.

second off, fun is not what rocket is striving for. he wants dayz to be gritty, dark, and difficult.

thirdly, i can't imagine putting even more bullets into someone being more fun. this just drags the fight out and lets anyone else who heard the gunfire have a better chance of joining in and ending it for both of them. if you really want to shoot people more before they die, try using the M4A1 CCO SD, or any suppressed weapon for that matter. combined with the lag, you can put a whole mag into someone point blank before they collapse. does that sound like fun to you?

if u are after hard numbers on what i think good gun damage would be i can list some damage for a couple of guns what i think is a good number of body shots to put someone into unconcious state with very low blood left.

automatic rifles: 5-6 shots

submachine guns: 5-6 shots

pistols: 5-6 shots

50 cal sniper: 2 shots shots

pussy snipers: 3-4 shots shots

Go play Cod or BF3 for 'drawn out battles'. You are currently playing a military simulator.

You'd actually be surprised how many real world gunshot wounds are none fatal, unless its a hollow point you have a chance of like 75% it won't be fatal.

this is dayz forum dipshit.

and ill buy whatever i want for whatever purpose try and stop me fatarse.

also what kind of mil sim bone fractures that can be cured by morphine instantly and why do i start dieing of hunger within a couple of hours when in reality you can go for a couple of weeks.

sounds more like " yo dude lets get high and make a game and call it a mil sim haha"

Arma itself is a military simulator that simulates combat at a realistic level, so the engine itself is a military sim, the morphine fixing bones and food lasting a couple hours was added in by rocket for the dayz mod, i think the combats perfect, if you're stupid enough to get caught in the open and the person spotting you doesn't have terrible accuracy then it should only take several bullets to take you down, the amount of bullets you can take probably hasn't changed from arma to this and arma's a combat/military simulator so it should be realistic. Plus on the other side, if you couldn't use morphine to fix broken bones and had to wait weeks for your bones to heal you'd be complaining about that.

if u are after hard numbers on what i think good gun damage would be i can list some damage for a couple of guns what i think is a good number of body shots to put someone into unconcious state with very low blood left.

I'm sorry but 2 shots for a 50cal? have you SEEN what a 50 cal round does to flesh?.. I've used 50cal weapons and trust me,. 1 shot on any part of your body is going to kill you. you might lose your arm and bleed to death. or have a 10 inch hole blown out of your back, but either way you're not gonna be living unless you get major medical attention.

you sir are retarded. it's fine as it is now

• Like 3

1. rocket is not just a "modder" limited by the Arma2 engine. he WORKS for bohemia, had a big part in Arma2, and has bohemia's full support for this "mod".

2. you're an idiot with stupid views.

3. Arma2 engine has great power for doing the things that this "modder" wants it to do. just because you don't understand or realise the potential the Arma2 engine has, doesn't mean it's not there.

1. he is a game designer by profession. i think that generally means he does things like use the engine/editors/assets to make levels/gameplay. i am not sure about rocket but im pretty sure game designers arent the people who make game engine changes (thats what software engineers do) and things like the mouse acceleration seem to be game engine related problems....

2. ok

3. no im pretty sure the arma2 engine sucks. it gets poor framerates, easily hacked, bugs everywhere. if it were a good engine other game developers would be buying it like they buy the unreal engine, havok engine, unity engine and the cryengine.... the fact the game still doesnt have options to remove mouse accel and a proper inventory UI system suggests the engine is not easy to work with/ not very capable.

i never played cod but i played ton of old skool fps like UT and i liked how it took longer to kill people. even if you got jumped by a noob from behind you could turn around and take him out if you were good enough. longer time-to-kill results in a higher skill cap and reduced luck elements (eg i just happened to login and spawned right behind a guy)

this part bothers me "if you got jumped by a noob from behind you could turn around and take him out if you were good enough".....you're not very good if he jumps you from behind! if someone sneaks up on you, puts several bullets in your back, you are dead...gone..finito....not living...that's how it should be, how pissed would you be to go through all the trouble of stealthing up behind a guy to pump a full clip of makarov mags into his back to have him turn with his dmr,ak or whatever and kill you...probably pissed enough to complain about it on these forums here

• Like 1

reduce the gun damage to other players. pvp is fun in this game so make it last longer. fuck realism, i like drawn out battles.

F U C K Y O U COD BOY!!!!

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

1. he is a game designer by profession. i think that generally means he does things like use the engine/editors/assets to make levels/gameplay. i am not sure about rocket but im pretty sure game designers arent the people who make game engine changes (thats what software engineers do) and things like the mouse acceleration seem to be game engine related problems....

2. ok

3. no im pretty sure the arma2 engine sucks. it gets poor framerates, easily hacked, bugs everywhere. if it were a good engine other game developers would be buying it like they buy the unreal engine, havok engine, unity engine and the cryengine.... the fact the game still doesnt have options to remove mouse accel and a proper inventory UI system suggests the engine is not easy to work with/ not very capable.

1. he is NOT working on this by himself.

2. yep.

3. this is not a GAME engine, it's a simulation engine, no they're not the same. so comparing them to pure game engines is again a moot point.

4. try harder. try again/

but you see, the problem with this is how unbalance you just made all the guns. why should any precision rifle be 3-4 shots, while automatic rifles are 5-6? an automatic rifle would win every time. the game's bullet damage system is quite adequate and realistic, making center of mass hits deal the most damage, with the exception of headshots.

seriously think about what you just posted. WHY ON EARTH WOULD I TAKE 5-10 MINUTES CALCULATING RANGE TO TARGET IF MY FIRST SHOT, OR EVEN MY SECOND, ISNT GOING TO INCAPACITATE MY TARGET. sniping would be dead. DEAD.

put a log out timer that keeps u in server for 20-30 secs after u leave the server even if u alt tab. insta log out kind of ruins the whole point of this game.

reduce the gun damage to other players. pvp is fun in this game so make it last longer. fuck realism, i like drawn out battles.

remove RNG based stuff like knocked down when under 9000 hp. this is just dumb. stupid random events like this and bugs are annoying and stupid.

make zombies harder. maybe more damage and/or HP or just add more (might increase lag). reason why people dont work together is because the zombies are so easy. srsly i dont even bother to stealth even if i dont have weapon. just sprint around like a madman and aggro all of cherno, do some crazy tricks its all good. i dont think you should be able to outrun zombies indefinitely either, it makes the game wayyyyyy tooo easyyyyyyy.

please make standalone version fast. arma engine is sucks. god what kind of retard idea was it to put positive accel on y axis and negative accel on x axis and you cant even turn it off. most ridiculous UI and inventory system as well. why use change in colour to represent hunger/thirst levels. almost every other game out there uses a bar or a numerical value because it is better, it is easier to tell what your levels are like compared to stupid colour change system. also current system is not colourblind compatible.

^

DO IT

I die all the time, and I still disagree with making guns do less damage to players, the game is meant to be realistic, Rocket made it as such, if you get shot by a Lee Enfield in real life you're done if its in the torso or head.

put a log out timer that keeps u in server for 20-30 secs after u leave the server even if u alt tab. insta log out kind of ruins the whole point of this game.

remove RNG based stuff like knocked down when under 9000 hp. this is just dumb. stupid random events like this and bugs are annoying and stupid.

make zombies harder. maybe more damage and/or HP or just add more (might increase lag). reason why people dont work together is because the zombies are so easy. srsly i dont even bother to stealth even if i dont have weapon. just sprint around like a madman and aggro all of cherno, do some crazy tricks its all good. i dont think you should be able to outrun zombies indefinitely either, it makes the game wayyyyyy tooo easyyyyyyy.

please make standalone version fast. arma engine is sucks. god what kind of retard idea was it to put positive accel on y axis and negative accel on x axis and you cant even turn it off. most ridiculous UI and inventory system as well. why use change in colour to represent hunger/thirst levels. almost every other game out there uses a bar or a numerical value because it is better, it is easier to tell what your levels are like compared to stupid colour change system. also current system is not colourblind compatible.

^

DO IT

More zombies would be cool. Everything else you suggested hurt my soul. I like the colour system we use for everything. The only thing I have a problem with is the inventory system. Guns should not take up soo much space, when you load rounds into a gun they should not take up a space, ect.

I'm sorry but 2 shots for a 50cal? have you SEEN what a 50 cal round does to flesh?.. I've used 50cal weapons and trust me,. 1 shot on any part of your body is going to kill you. you might lose your arm and bleed to death. or have a 10 inch hole blown out of your back, but either way you're not gonna be living unless you get major medical attention.

you sir are retarded. it's fine as it is now

i have stated numerous times that I DONT LIKE "REALISM" WHEN IT COMES TO GUN DAMAGE. THIS IS MY ARGUMENT. why do people keep bringing up the point that longer time to kill is not realistic. THE WHOLE POINT IS I THINK IT WOULD BE FUNNER IF IT WANT REALISTIC. if you wish to argue please state WHY YOU THINK REALISM IS FUNNER. dont simply tell me my idea of time to kill is NOT REALISTIC. I AM VERY AWARE OF THIS TRUST ME.

and no you dont die from 50 cal hit anywhere in the body. it will fuck you up but if you get shot in the legs or arms or any other non vital organ and can stop the bleeding you will not die. there are no essential organs in the arms or legs.

Yes, some of it is luck. Compare it too all those highly trained Spetsnaz, SF, Seals, SAS and whatnot soldiers out there. Fellas that have been training for years, can hit what they aim at and are generally regarded as the best at what they do. They still die. Some things are simply beyond your control.

Now this might be a terrible example, but I only used it to highlight the fact that some players, who consider themselves "highly skilled" and "at the top of their game", sometimes feel it as an injustice that they get killed in a situation where they feel they should have the upper hand because of their skills. But it will happen! It could be from ten feet away...it could be from a km away...but someone will get the drop on you!

Now the trick is to try to reduce that luck factor as much as possible. The key things you need to remember here are always considering yourself a dude with a big red crosshair on your back...and if necessary...scope a place out way, way longer than you think is necessary. Consider the terrain...why would you run across an open field if you can skirt around and use a hill or forest to obscure your movements? Patience and thinking are the things that'll improve the chances that you will get the drop on the other player, not the other way around! If you spot an enemy in this game, and he hasn't spotted you...then you have already won half the battle! You hear gun shots? Close or far away? In both cases, take immediate measures, be it simply to get away from the gunfire or put yourself in a position where you can actually locate the dude that is firing and see what is going on.

If you really want to pit yourself against other human players in the context of warfare, check out this mod. It highlights all those areas I mentioned.

Yes, some of it is luck. Compare it too all those highly trained Spetsnaz, SF, Seals, SAS and whatnot soldiers out there. Fellas that have been training for years, can hit what they aim at and are generally regarded as the best at what they do. They still die. Some things are simply beyond your control.

don't forget the RM and Sbs :P

More zombies would be cool. Everything else you suggested hurt my soul. I like the colour system we use for everything. The only thing I have a problem with is the inventory system. Guns should not take up soo much space, when you load rounds into a gun they should not take up a space, ect.

thats cool bro thanks for not being a dick and simply disagreeing/agreeing and putting in your own input

• Like 1

i have stated numerous times that I DONT LIKE "REALISM" WHEN IT COMES TO GUN DAMAGE. THIS IS MY ARGUMENT. why do people keep bringing up the point that longer time to kill is not realistic. THE WHOLE POINT IS I THINK IT WOULD BE FUNNER IF IT WANT REALISTIC. if you wish to argue please state WHY YOU THINK REALISM IS FUNNER. dont simply tell me my idea of time to kill is NOT REALISTIC. I AM VERY AWARE OF THIS TRUST ME.

and no you dont die from 50 cal hit anywhere in the body. it will fuck you up but if you get shot in the legs or arms or any other non vital organ and can stop the bleeding you will not die. there are no essential organs in the arms or legs.

realism is more fun because it greatly increases the immersion.

the possibility that a sniper could be on a hill with a 1 shot .50cal adds to the immersion by making you paranoid and ever vigilant. it creates an actual fear that one mistake could cost you your life, just like it could in real life.

if gun damage were decreased, people could run away from fights more often, and they would be way less intense.

Edited by Epsilon 349

I think you are clearly missing the point here. Other game developers don't buy the engine because it was not designed to be a game engine. It was designed to simulate modern military combat for training purposes. And in that version it has been sold to numerous countries and militaries. Arma2 is built off that, some aspects are simplified for gameplay reasons, but in essence it remains more a simulator than a game.

I die all the time, and I still disagree with making guns do less damage to players, the game is meant to be realistic, Rocket made it as such, if you get shot by a Lee Enfield in real life you're done if its in the torso or head.

Now this might be a terrible example, but I only used it to highlight the fact that some players, who consider themselves "highly skilled" and "at the top of their game", sometimes feel it as an injustice that they get killed in a situation where they feel they should have the upper hand because of their skills. But it will happen! It could be from ten feet away...it could be from a km away...but someone will get the drop on you!

Now the trick is to try to reduce that luck factor as much as possible. The key things you need to remember here are always considering yourself a dude with a big red crosshair on your back...and if necessary...scope a place out way, way longer than you think is necessary. Consider the terrain...why would you run across an open field if you can skirt around and use a hill or forest to obscure your movements? Patience and thinking are the things that'll improve the chances that you will get the drop on the other player, not the other way around! If you spot an enemy in this game, and he hasn't spotted you...then you have already won half the battle! You hear gun shots? Close or far away? In both cases, take immediate measures, be it simply to get away from the gunfire or put yourself in a position where you can actually locate the dude that is firing and see what is going on.

If you really want to pit yourself against other human players in the context of warfare, check out this mod. It highlights all those areas I mentioned.

what im getting is that you pretty much agree that death is all about probabilities and the pro

but you see, the problem with this is how unbalance you just made all the guns. why should any precision rifle be 3-4 shots, while automatic rifles are 5-6? an automatic rifle would win every time. the game's bullet damage system is quite adequate and realistic, making center of mass hits deal the most damage, with the exception of headshots.

seriously think about what you just posted. WHY ON EARTH WOULD I TAKE 5-10 MINUTES CALCULATING RANGE TO TARGET IF MY FIRST SHOT, OR EVEN MY SECOND, ISNT GOING TO INCAPACITATE MY TARGET. sniping would be dead. DEAD.

i probably should have been a bit more elaborate. i can understand why u think what i said is completely stupid...

i think sniper rifle head shots should always kill. i think guns damage should fall off with range. obv guns with short barrels and smaller rounds or pistol rounds will suffer greater damage drop off.

the advantage of using a 50 cal over an assault rifle would be less bullet drop, anti material capabilities, one shot headhsot, longer range, greater accuracy, optical zoom.

sniping would be the only way to really get long range kills eg ~400m+. an assualt rifle would not have the accuracy or power at ~400m+ to take out targets.

what im getting is that you pretty much agree that death is all about probabilities and the pro

i probably should have been a bit more elaborate. i can understand why u think what i said is completely stupid...

i think sniper rifle head shots should always kill. i think guns damage should fall off with range. obv guns with short barrels and smaller rounds or pistol rounds will suffer greater damage drop off.

the advantage of using a 50 cal over an assault rifle would be less bullet drop, anti material capabilities, one shot headhsot, longer range, greater accuracy, optical zoom.

sniping would be the only way to really get long range kills eg ~400m+. an assualt rifle would not have the accuracy or power at ~400m+ to take out targets.

Dude. As an ex marksman. I'm going to tell you this. 400 meters to 2 miles a 50 cal round is still going to hit you with more force than a magnum at point blank range. so your statement about 400+ losing power is one of the most retarded and ill-thought out statements I've ever heard. seriously. get your ass back to call of duty and leave us actually ballistics fans to Arma2 and DayZ.

Edited. also shooting more than 400 meters with an assualt rifle produces the same results. 600 meters with an SA80 for example is completely do-able and bullet drop is negligible. and damage is the same.

Edited by Blindingsun