tbartoli13@iskl.edu.my

Whats the point of getting a M16/M4A1/AKS-7U etc?

As they are rare and hard to get, it's an achievement worth having. Having a SD gun is extremely good for zombies, whereas very powerful guns such as M240 can make you deadly if used correctly.

• Like 1

Because they are weaker than the AKM/Lee Enfield/M14 and those one shot kill guns?

What is the point of having an automatic weapon in DayZ?

Rifles are for long range, and have a very slow rate of fire (well most of them)

Assault rifles are much better for close quarters, and will always win over a rifle. Esp. if you miss with a rifle shot up close...by the time you can fire again...your dead.

Well in my opinion anyways.

• Like 7

Erm... The AKM is automatic. Although it is a oneshot kill on zeds. And that is a good question, I enjoy using an Enfield, and am currently using an AKM, and don't have much experience with those other weapons.

Edited by Ratfever
  • Like 1

Sure the akm and lee enfield are great, if your only focus is PvP.

I like my M4A1 with the ACOG on it. Yea less damage, I couldn't care less. If i wanted to only shoot people i'd hang out in electro with the enfield.

But alas i enjoy exploring the world and seeing what i can find.

• Like 5

I like the red dot sight on the Kobra, plus it seems quieter than all of the other automatic weapons.

• Like 2

AK-74 and STANAG magazines are common enough that finding a weapon that uses them is pretty nice.

The M4 / M16 versions also have (in my opinion) nicer scopes than the AKM, and I'll take a Kobra over anything else that isn't a top tier item.

That said, the Enfield is a damn fine gun, and if you know how to use it right it'll work just as well as any other rifle, unless you're up against a sniper.

And to take OP's point a little further, why do we have the Makarov when there's the M1911 or revolver? Why do we have the M9 when you could use a Glock? Why is there the MP5 when the MP5SD or Bizon are in the game?

It adds variety, it means that you can't always find the best weapon, and it means that there's less of a leap from the starting weapons to the military ones.

Edited by Duckman404
  • Like 4

I like the red dot sight on the Kobra, plus it seems quieter than all of the other automatic weapons.

You have a red dot sight on your kobra sight?

• Like 1

AK-74 and STANAG magazines are common enough that finding a weapon that uses them is pretty nice.

The M4 / M16 versions also have (in my opinion) nicer scopes than the AKM, and I'll take a Kobra over anything else that isn't a top tier item.

That said, the Enfield is a damn fine gun, and if you know how to use it right it'll work just as well as any other rifle, unless you're up against a sniper.

The M16 scope is zeroed at 400m and you can't adjust it, feels very awkward using it.

AKM has adjustable iron sights (something that should be on more weapons), is relatively common and ammo isn't hard to find, and packs 4500dmg per hit.

I found a M4 CCO SD and dropped it for an AKM :lol:

• Like 1

You have a red dot sight on your kobra sight?

He has it although it might be rather green then red.

Anyway some people love Kobra/Aimpoint colimators over good ole ironsights of AKM / M4+M16.

EDIT:To the OP>would you rather have only AKM/Enfield as low tier weapons? Wouldn't it be boring? I say variety is the spice of life and I would love to have a bit more low tier weapons ( SA vz58, Skorpion smg, some civilian 5,56 semi-auto rifle etc).

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 1

Currently I'm running around with a SVD and an AK74.

I like the AK74 because it's realy easy to get ammo for it. Also the noise is acceptable. I just had once an AKM an pulled like 15 zombies when i fired it. The AK74 seems to be much quieter. But it need 2 shots to kill zombies. But thats no problem the when you aim for the head or just don't have to care about ammo.

• Like 1

The M16 scope is zeroed at 400m and you can't adjust it, feels very awkward using it.

AKM has adjustable iron sights (something that should be on more weapons), is relatively common and ammo isn't hard to find, and packs 4500dmg per hit.

I found a M4 CCO SD and dropped it for an AKM :lol:

I can't stand the AK iron sights, personally. I'm used to compensating for bullet drop on weapons without zeroing thanks to Battlefield games, so having a nice open sight like the CCO means lining up headshots is a breeze.

I'd take the CCO SD any day because suppressed weapons are much more useful against zeds. If I come across a player, then my tactic is either run if they see me first, hide if they haven't. Or shoot them if they have something I really want.

A lot of it is down to personal opinion, of course. In most instances I wont switch away from the Enfield unless it's for a suppressed weapon or something in 7.62x51 NATO

• Like 1

well, aside from pure sniper rifles i'll take an m14 over anything else in the game, but the m4/m16 variants and the ak-74 variants have a number of advantages.

they are quieter. yeah, i'm usually using my pistol for zeds anyway, but in the occasional instance where i am not, they are less likely to bring down a horde upon you. also, other players wont hear you QUITE so far away (though still pretty far.)

the m4 cco variants have a front grip that seems to noticeably reduce recoil. you can pump out a lot of lead into a target pretty quickly in semiauto mode with good accuracy and not worry about having to readjust your sight picture so much after a shot. yeah, each bullet does less damage but you can get a lot more hits.

the 74u is shorter. that means you get hung up less often in doorways, etc. it's a terrific close quarters/indoor gun. the 74 kobra has that nifty kobra sight on it.

full auto fire is a real plus in close combat. the enfield is great, i LOVE the enfield, but if we meet in a stairwell in a control tower you BETTER hit that first shot, because the guy with the full auto assault rifle is going to be spraying you with bullets and you will be dead before your second.

each gun has its advantages and disadvantages. nobody is making you use a gun you don't like, use whatever fits your playstyle.

• Like 1

Yea, it is all in variety. The guns aren't that balanced though IMO...

For example, the M19/Revolver and it's ammo are easier to find than the G17 and it's ammo. Plus, the G17 is weaker than the M19. Same with the Makarov, its a bit harder to find and it is quite weaker.

• Like 1

Yea, it is all in variety. The guns aren't that balanced though IMO...

For example, the M19/Revolver and it's ammo are easier to find than the G17 and it's ammo. Plus, the G17 is weaker than the M19. Same with the Makarov, its a bit harder to find and it is quite weaker.

M19? Do you mean the M9?

• Like 1

[...] I found a M4 CCO SD and dropped it for an AKM :lol:

... What, why? The M4 CCO SD is one of the best guns in the game because it's silent and you won't attract every player in cities towards you. Especially handy at night. Plus, zombies turn into shooting gallery puppets with it.

You can kill zombies with one hit with an M16..

With a headshot, yes. Bodyshots require two shots.

What ammo does the M4 CCO SD use? because if the gun is that rare, I don't think I have ever seen any ammo that I would have thought fit in to it.

What ammo does the M4 CCO SD use? because if the gun is that rare, I don't think I have ever seen any ammo that I would have thought fit in to it.

It uses STANAG SD mags, which, while not as common as normal STANAG, are still fairly easy to find.