Sign in to follow this  
mkrrr

Quit quit quit...

Bad idea' date=' if I need to go out/have other priorties in RL and need to DC in a hot zone, then that's utter crap if I come back to a dead character. I agree with what someone else said, it's my choice when and where I quit.

[/quote']

That's a poor excuse. If for some reason it's absolutely vital that you leave your computer at that very instant, that for some reason you don't have one meager minute to get to cover and log out, then that's your problem.

You can't leave a game breaking exploit just because it's inconvenient for a few who have extremely inflexible social lives / responsibilities.

Dude' date=' this isn't ArmA 2. You can kill me on a domination server and I just respawn, meet up with my buds at the AF and we move on the objective again, I don't lose all my shit and have to walk all the way back.

And it's all great for tooting your horn about what you play, but you just listed the two most popular mods and expert isn't hard once you play veteran, the only difference is 3rd person which is basically aesthetics. And yeah I've played expert too whoop dee do.

I've played domination TvT matches... soooooo. And I've done various other TvT games and warfare is fun because lots of shit blows up and you can be all high and mighty as you please, but you're just looking like an elitist within a bunch of elitists which makes you a tool amongst tools since us ArmA elitists already look like tools to the Day Z heads.

You're idea is to bring ArmA combat to the max into the mod in the sense that if I shoot at you, you have to either fight back even if I have an overwhelming superiority or sit in a corner and wait to die from either my bullets or of boredom. Great, if you're so awesome, then you should have no problems landing that first CZ round on target and then landing a second within like 5 seconds let alone 15+. This sounds really really really boring for me to have a bullet whizz by me and be forced to sit in a corner for god knows how long. I'm playing Day Z, not TvT insurgency on Sangin.

I've been in 800m machine gun duels on Takistan on a TvT domination server sooooooo, yeah, that's an engagement range right?

It think it's great that you follow all of these rules, I hope you get a medal and a cookie and all that stuff. But maybe you don't realize this, but you are in the extreme minority. Most people use the maps poster here. Every clan has to use 3rd party VOIP and this is true in regular ArmA 2, hell ACRE was designed for it, just change change channels to separate teams. Daylight servers? Well everyone does that except for the 100 guys with NVGs or those who can make their monitors look like daylight all the time. I've been in dozens of servers where if the sun is down, 95% of the chat is bitching about not being able to see. It sucks.

You can keep all of these rules, some of which YOU made up, just let me know what clan you play for so I can avoid your servers. If you can make all of these rules for an Alpha, I would hate to see how you guys run your server. I'm sure it's all "yes sir" and rank structure. That's not for me, I already did that for a living so I don't need it in my games, and contrary to what some people think, you can play ArmA and have a blast at it without having a bunch of rules to follow.

You can cry all you want about having X amount of time or Y number of parameters to determine how long it takes before someone can DC, but you are only crying as much as everyone else, and Rocket will drink your delicious elitist tears to fuel HIS vision NOT YOURS.

I'm merely suggesting something that is equally penalizing for shitty hunters and scared prey, what you are suggesting is something entirely lopsided for the hunter and considering the numbers of people that are bandits (officially), I'd say the hunters are in the minority, and by far.

[/quote']

Once again with the ad-hominem attacks. Can you please address the issues at hand instead of going on tangents and providing feints with no sustenance?

First off, I have nothing against domi or warfare or any other modes. I don't even mind third person, I just simply avoid the servers that have it on. I merely state my own preference for play so you can understand better where I am coming from since you felt it necessary to bring your experience with A2 into play and question mines earlier. Addressing domi and warfare though, those two are probably the worst game modes at demonstrating the kind of tactical and strategic cooperative or TvT game-play that A2 can offer. On the topic of ACRE, if you split teams into two channels you are using it completely wrong. ACRE was designed for all players in a server to be in a single channel to simulate aspects such as radio silence/discipline, capturing/listening on enemy comms, etc. The reason ACRE was designed for use with TS is to provide a realistic radio system that the in game comms can not provide. Trust me on this, the community I play with are the official ACRE testers.

Now back on topic with respect to disconnecting. Your counter point seems to be that not allowing instant disconnects favors the hunters. This is not true at all. There are plenty of hunters who use this very same tactic and it is as equally annoying and advantageous for them as other non-hunters. I've met plenty of players who threaten to kill me, or take shots at me and at the instant they screw up they disconnect and leave. This mechanic removes all consequence from the game and removes the hardcore, anti-game aspects which Rocket is trying to promote. Fixing the disconnect issue simply places players who cheat the system via disconnects on the same level as players who actually try to play the game as intended by Rocket. All tactics and strategy still apply regardless of whether you are a PKer or a honest survivor. I'd just prefer that no matter what play style you adapt, people can't take advantage of it by using A2 mechanics that cheat the intended system.

Also from this quote:

"Dude, this isn't ArmA 2. You can kill me on a domination server and I just respawn, meet up with my buds at the AF and we move on the objective again, I don't lose all my shit and have to walk all the way back."

I think you are missing the point of DayZ. If you take risks, be prepared to face the consequences. You think the players you kill who don't disconnect on contact don't have to deal with the same thing? Do you play so loosely and take so many risks that you have to resort to disconnecting to escape the consequences of your actions?

"I'm merely suggesting something that is equally penalizing for shitty hunters and scared prey"

Rocket has openly stated he does not wish to implement mechanisms that favor one play style over another. See above for why d/c doesn't favor any particular play-style and only serves to cheat the system that Rocket is trying to create.

If you can respond without committing ad-hominem attacks through the majority of your post I would be glad to respond. Otherwise please don't bother responding if you are gonna make asinine comments on elitism and irrelevant topics to the problem on hand.

I've already responded repeatedly with a timer suggestion with a way to implement it.

You are immovable in that you think any disconnect for any reason should be punishable.

I say it will kill the game, because it will, it's killed every MP game that has ever tried it. You need a balance that makes the player weigh disconnect over fight/flight.

Btw, every bit of my post addressed something you brought up. And my "attacks" on you are only in response to your underhanded slights about how only people THAT PLAY JUST LIKE YOU ARE THE ONLY LEGITIMATE PLAYERS and then you go on a tangent about your gameplay.

I don't care if you are an ACRE tester, you missed the point of my post. Split the two TvT teams into different channels or have different radios they don't know about. I know very well how ACRE works, the best feature simply being local comms vs over the net comms separation. Maybe we weren't using it the right way according to you, but it works.... besides why are we talking about awesome realism mods in here......... oh yeah, you had to toot your little horn.

Bottom line:

You want everyone to play in OUR SANDBOX, YOUR WAY.

I think a middle ground where you have a 15, 20, 30 seconds whatever timer after you have patched up your wounds would require shooters to be sure that that first round means something and the people that got shot have to book it to cover, patch up, and then hit the abort key and wait X amount of time paralized........ if they move they have to hit the abort key again.

Your idea of even having people wait for 5 minutes is just flat out too long. So I hit abort and I'm in the woods and I walk off to go get a drink, then I come back and I'm dead because after waiting for 4 minutes, some random guy stumbles on me and now I'm dead.

If you can come up with a decent time limit and a way to implement it as I have, then maybe I'll hop on board, but really dude...... 10 minutes? You'll kill the game.

And just so you know, since apparently you don't understand the point of ArmA since you don't think Domination or Warfare or whatever I play is a good example of TvT. This is a sandbox, it's not the scenario, nor the mods, or any other thing that you think you can place in the game to make it more realistic. ArmA is a terrible game, both in SP and MP if you don't have the right type of people willing to work the same way for the same goal. I can conduct a successful squad operation against an objective manned by bots and players in domination the same as I can conduct a squad operation against just players in X game mode. It's not the game mode, it's the effectiveness of the team in executing the mission.

If the servers were stable then yes having to 'sleep' to save an exit would be fantastic.

But they're not and you'd also have to disable alt +F4

Wow... someone decides to use my name, only to put a 1 after it cause the original was not available..

And even worse, hes a ragequitter..

In Ultima Online when you logged out your character stayed in game for a while, but you could instantly log out in the woods with a bedroll and a campfire.

When you started a campfire you had to wait a few seconds out of combat for a message that your camp is secure, then you could use the bedroll to logout.

A similar system could work well in DayZ. Maybe just allow instant logout after a short delay at a campfire. Or additionally add sleeping bags. Disconnecting or alt-f4 should leave you standing in game for a minute or two.

And what happens when someone disconnects, through no fault of their own, but due to an internet connection problem? To find that they are banned for 15 minutes each time they d/c due to their poor internet or something similar will turn many people away from game.

Use your heads.

Edit; And when they get back in the game they are DEAD because some player killed them? :D And stole all their phat lewtz.

yeah, and where does that put people in countries OTHER than america?

We have maybe FOUR servers here in australia that have a decent ping. And they're CONSTANTLY full. I can pick one, and sit there hitting enter for TEN MINUTES and not get in.

So I try American servers, because, hey. Can't play on Aussie ones.

So it's like goddamn russian roulette. Why? Because the servers have ping timeouts that are NOT stated. I join a server, it goes fine. But LOLNOPE, kicked for high ping. Try a new server. KICKED FOR HIGH PING.

This can happen five times in a ROW.

And you want to punish people for not living close to servers?

No thank you.

a system that wouldnt let u log off if u have zombie agro or have shot/been shot or hit in the last 1 or 2 minutes would be nice.

the idea of a ban when dcing would be nice if things were stable,the way it stands now i often have to connect and disconnect from several servers before i find one that goes beyong waiting for character to create...think if i was banned after every attempt my morale of even trying to connect would be drained fast.

a system that wouldnt let u log off if u have zombie agro or have shot/been shot or hit in the last 1 or 2 minutes would be nice.

the idea of a ban when dcing would be nice if things were stable' date='the way it stands now i often have to connect and disconnect from several servers before i find one that goes beyong waiting for character to create...think if i was banned after every attempt my morale of even trying to connect would be drained fast.

[/quote']

I agree with this.

Too many issues require Reconnection to use this sort of judgement system yet.

I myself suffer from a fps crawl sometimes which can only be remedied by reconnecting a few times.

A method for punishing people who d/c with Zombie aggro is something that should be looked into. But again, those people who are unlucky enough to d/c because of their poor Ping etc will feel the backlash from that.

Also if someone has been shot, yes, this should also be something that is taken into account.

Once you are hit by a Bullet or Melee Weapon, a 60 second timer should start, if you log out during this time your character would not disappear but remain in position until completion of that 60 second timer. If you are killed during this your corpse should remain free loot for all.

A warning marker should appear n the UI to indicate that you are currently in a 'not allowed to Disconnect' state.

Having a timer before you can join another server is a very stupid idea (no offense to anyone). You have disconnects, freezes, sometimes you join a server that you think is day time but it turns out to be night, you and a friend try to join the same server but only one of you gets in so you want to join a different server. There are too many things to have a timer for that. However how about a system where in order to leave a server it takes 10 seconds of sitting there, and if you have been hurt it takes ~2 mins before you can start logging off?

Perhaps a system like League of Legends has (not played in ages) but i believe upon leaving a match a player couldnt join another for 15 minutes with this effect doubling upon each further disconnect (30' date=' hour, 2 hour etc).

This system does seem brutal of course, everyone has a life and may have to disconnect from time to time but if you think about it, people will think wisely before leaving knowing that they will have to wait to play again (not like waiting for server response doesnt do that job for us anyway ;) joking)

It will also fix the full server problem i mean, why should someone be allowed to disconnect and reconnect when other people are desperately trying to get into it too, if you disconnect you should lose the right to join for a few minutes letting new players into the server.

I know what your thinking now "well i'll just not disconnect then, ill stay at the player screen or just afk in a safe spot ingame until i come back" add a force kick to players who have not moved in the last 15 minutes

[/quote']

With stable servers that never crash, maybe something like this would work. However, with the unstable, crashy/error/FPS/can't log into servers we have today this would be a disaster.

Quitters are a total joke, I even had one guy ambush me and my friend in some woods. He killed my friend and instantly vanished when I opened fire on him, I waited for a few mins, then looted my friend only to have the original guy respawn back in and kill me too.

They just need to do what you get when your knockout, but instead of our glass a tent icon that fills up. During this time the game server is getting ready to log you out. So this means you can't DC and escape danger since you will be frozen and wait for a minute or so with the tent icon to fill up. At this time your character is still ingame and can be killed.

Just need to disable Alt+F4.

Problem solved.

For those who just lose their connection or computer crashed- I believe the character is saved every so many seconds so you should be fine.

I'm not sure the engines limitations, but the old 30 seconds to log out or whatever time limit you want is a pretty simple solution.

Should when logging out, spend 15 mins in current location. Item sleeping bag will reduce this time to 5 mins.

This will stop people logging out in high yield places, stop them insta quitting and cause more migration north.

anything thats above 5 seconds is far too long...5 is a good number

One Char Per Server !!

tadar fixed

Last time they tried this everyone started duplicating their shit, but I do support the idea, I hate when people disconnect to avoid death.

Last time they tried this everyone started duplicating their shit' date=' but I do support the idea, I hate when people disconnect to avoid death.

[/quote']

I think what they tried was that you DC but your character is still there but the player sees the server screen.

If you ate frozen and had to wait for like the hour glass to fill then the server actually DCs. This will limit the DC abuse

To anyone who says that DC's aren't a major problem I happily disagree. It undermines the very fabric of the survivalist gameplay. It turns the game into even more of a PvP-only environment because no one is afraid to take any risks regardless of their loot because they have an infinite stack of get-out-of-jail-free cards.

DC's allow people to de-aggro infected, avoid certain death, server hop to get behind other players and so on. If DC's are to stay in the mod as a core component of gameplay (which it definitely is), I would suggest re-branding the mod's genre to "Multi-Dimensional Hardcore Deathmatch". That's how other successful players behave, why deny yourself the same advantage?

The Server you are on Knows what is happening. Whether you have Shot, where you shot, who/what was in the general are, whether you were Shot at, whether Zombies are aggro'd on you, if you have been hit by Zombies or bullets,where you have traveled, what you have looted, whether you crouched/proned/stood/ran/walked, etc etc.

The Master Server(s) know what Server you have joined, whether that Server is still Online, probably what your Ping is(perhaps not), various bits of data on your progress, it can be made to receive other data such as the nature of the last few moments the player was in before quitting, etc etc.

In short, there is certainly enough Data available to make a system viable to counter act exploits. As for Real Life concerns interfering, tough break.

easy solution, been said multiple times, not sure how easy it is to implament. Make a person /camp to log out, takes 10-15 seconds. they can move to stop it, shoot, whatever, if they get hit, it stops it, if they choose to alt f4, they get the same 10-15 second timer, but if they get hit via zombie/person, it resets the timer.