Sign in to follow this  
mkrrr

Quit quit quit...

I'll admit it, if I aggro too many zombies and I'm out of ammo then I'll just say screw it and DC, but I'll fight until I'm totally empty.

I've never ran from a player though, that's really the most fun I have in the game.

I've only DC'd like twice from Zombies, once because I just got bored shooting them on top of the hospital in Berezino and the other time in the fire station tower in Elektro when I ran out of ammo....... it was last night and karma got me like 3 minutes later when I joined a new server.

Server hopping, sure have done it a couple times and karma has gotten me every time. So I should probably just stop.

I'd be cool with a sort of timer for DC. But it would have to protect against "session lost". Had that like 5 times yesterday.

I remember they tried something similar in End War because DCing was a massive problem for people and assholes would use it as an exploit. The solution was to start killing units in your barracks so if you were a routine DCer, you were stuck with shit units. Saddly, this broke the game for me because I hadn't figured out NAT settings on my XBox so I would lose connections a lot of the time and I ended up with shit units too. Btw, End War is a terrible game.

I actually think I'm more in favor of a "15 Minute Cool Down". Yeah people will still bitch because they didn't get the loot from a dead body, but 15 minutes is a pretty steep penalty and it would make me think twice about DCing.

I think the main problem is if the engine will support such thing as the log off timer. Easy to say that "oh let's just get a timer. Game X has one too herpderp".

"]It is being abused by some. That is no lie...

But you said you DC'd when you felt in danger by bandits. That's exactly the sort of behaviour we're trying to avoid.

Either way' date=' I fully agree that this is all secondary. It's not a major issue and should not be put ahead of other features.

[/quote']

I said it was a one time situation. Did you not read the other situation? I fully knew it was a bandit area. And fought my way back got my gear and walked out of Cherno. I didn't get my stuff and DC. I DC'ed on the Airfield after 2 minutes of sitting and waiting to see if he'd walk by my spot. Even under the flag thing that everyone else seems to like. I would have been in the clear.

So no. My behavior is not that which you are all trying to avoid.

What people are trying to avoid is targets getting away, and loot being snatched up and the person leaving to another server to get more.

' pid='49100' dateline='1337703551']

But you said you DC'd when you felt in danger by bandits. That's exactly the sort of behaviour we're trying to avoid.

Either way' date=' I fully agree that this is all secondary. It's not a major issue and should not be put ahead of other features.

[/quote']

it is

Alphas are made to be exploited.

Keep in mind it's better that people exploit the game in alpha state than beta or final state.

' pid='49100' dateline='1337703551']

[/quote']

it is

Because if 1 case of it. After a long wait which would be what the flag system would deem as okay, is the behavior you're avoiding. No one under no conditions should ever leave a server.

But the reason you feel your need to say that my Behavior is what you're avoiding is because the people who constantly do it. And do such multiple times in a day. Aren't going to say it in the thread. So you take the absolutely smallest and best case example of it to promote.

I rarely initiate attacks against other players unless I feel like that's the only way out of a confrontation. But this one time I logged on and I was starving and I was thirsty, I wandered for a very long time and lost quite a bit of blood. Seemed like I'd soon be dead, when I spotted another survivor not too far away from me. Usually I'd avoid other players at all costs, but I really didn't want to lose all that fancy gear I had. So, I opened fire, fairly sure I hit him at least once. Poof. The guy disconnected.

What started out as a very game defining moment turned into a very frustrating game breaking exploit. I really felt less motivated to continue playing.

Having the player remain a few seconds after disconnect would be ideal, but as already mentioned the engine might not support a clean way of doing so. One thing is clear though, there needs to be severe penalties for disconnecting when things get tough.

I don't care about this much. There are worse things to fix in this game. I have similar POV as Deruu. I shoot only when it's necessary and not to kill, but to NOT DIE. And if the guys DC's he's not a threat anymore. If you for some reason want to fraghunt in this game, just gotta aim for the head.

Is there no way for servers to kill people who disconnect after they take damage for about 10 seconds? If possible, I would see it as a good way to stop people from disconnection from some serious shit.

Confrontations usually last for less than a minute. Maybe 30 seconds so a 10 second timer after getting hit would be fine.

lolol "Omg we are so damn busy with so many important things to do how DARE you suggest we have to wait 15 mins to join another server."

If rocket goes with that, I would back it 100% .. just like if he decides to introduce a 30 second timer to put you into sleep mode. If it stops exploiters in any way, I will back it, even if it does mean 1 lose 15 minutes of my favourite game.

Please stop feeling so entitled.

5-10 seconds is more then enough to finish off a player who your shooting at.

/noobmode

Can`t the DEVs just add a mandatory logoff timer' date=' say 15 seconds?

Not being able to join another server for 15 minutes would be really bad imho.

I do agree, it`s lame quitting while being attacked etc..

[/quote']

Quitting means you can't join for 15+ minutes under your idea? Well, what if the server crashes... you now have 50 players unable to do anything for 15 minutes since it'll be the same as a Alt+F4 on the logs. As far as standing still, leave it as is, however, if you have been shot, you can't logout until you stand still for 15-20 seconds, and if you alt-f4 your character stays there for the same period of time. 15 seconds is plenty of time for a pursuer to catch his prey and kill him, and if not, he probably got away.

The noquit flag, or a timer would probably work the best. If a simple 30s - 2 min timer was activated when you wanted to quit, you would just have to watch and wait. But it would also have to have a quick exit dialog, so in the case your position becomes unsafe within the time frame you can defend yourself.

5-10 seconds would not always be enough time to kill another player before exit, just going prone they could possibly last that long, not to mention if they took cover behind anything. During long engagements someone could potentially wait a minute or more behind cover for a logout timer, before the enemy even got to their position.

The noquit flag' date=' or a timer would probably work the best. If a simple 30s - 2 min timer was activated when you wanted to quit, you would just have to watch and wait. But it would also have to have a quick exit dialog, so in the case your position becomes unsafe within the time frame you can defend yourself.

5-10 seconds would not always be enough time to kill another player before exit, just going prone they could possibly last that long, not to mention if they took cover behind anything. During long engagements someone could potentially wait a minute or more behind cover for a logout timer, before the enemy even got to their position.

[/quote']

If you take a pot shot at me and you suck then why should I have to wait 2 minutes for you to walk closer to me just because you lack discipline and can't shoot for shit?

^ Hang on, I Wub Pugs, are you saying that if someone takes a pot shot at you, you disconnect? That is how that reads to me, and if that is what you do then you deserve a 15-120 sec "linger" to punish you, imho.

They will implement something sooner rather than later. Something like EVE Online would be ideal.

^ Hang on' date=' I Wub Pugs, are you saying that if someone takes a pot shot at you, you disconnect? That is how that reads to me, and if that is what you do then you deserve a 15-120 sec "linger" to punish you, imho.

[/quote']

No, in fact I never run from a fight from another player as I've stated before. I've only DC'd from zombies a couple times and one of those times I was just bored and they couldn't get to me anyway. I'm not going to go down some ladder without ammo just so the zombies can kill me......... that's fucking dumb and I should be allowed to DC, but hey I'll sit outside a server for 15 minutes because I put myself in that position.

I'm saying it's bullshit that you put a 2 minute timer in place just because of a pot shot. If you can't hit me in 3 shots because you lack discipline to line up a decent shot then you don't just get to keep trying because you saw me first.

You're stacking the deck in favor of the hunter. Just make it flat for everyone. 10 to 15 second wait timer for DC.

It's a two way street, I may just have a makarov and you may have an enfield, how the fuck am I going to engage you? But because you suck ass and can't hit me within 15 seconds, you should get penalized too.

i hate people who always instantly quit the game after getting in a dangerous situation

i suggest the following:

1)after quitting a server a character stands still for 2 minutes (zombies that didn't follow him don't start to attack him) Every player can attack him

2)"Quitter" CAN'T join ANY server for 15 mins

3)???

4)profit!

Honestly, you sound like an upset bandit who didn't get a cheap kill.

You guys honestly don't understand the time frames for a careful player in this game. The disconnector has very little risk. The player dealing with the disconnector has tons of risk and may even die because he chose not to disconnect.

For a legitimate player, you get on the airfield, scout it for about 20-30 min making sure areas are clear from snipers. Then you slowly advance up to your choice loot areas which takes another good 10 minutes to get in and possibly around ~1 hour to do the entire airfield. Then you plot an exfil path and get the hell out of dodge. The whole time you have to be paranoid about zombies and other players. If you hear gunshots or spot another player you can tack on another hour or two there just to make sure everything is safe before proceeding.

Disconnectors don't have this problem at all. You can clear an airfield in 20 minutes. Too many zombies? d/c. Got shot? d/c. They get all the benefits of looting without any of the risks. And this is assuming they are only after loot. The worst are disconnectors who want to engage in PvP but then disconnect when they screw up or take fire.

You think its bad to wait 2 minutes? Even 5 minutes wouldn't be enough for other legitimate players to successfully engage. What if the guy had friends? You can't just run up to him and pop him even though you knew he disconnected now because you can still die from other players in the area. On the flip side if you disconnect in a safe spot, 10+ minutes of idling would be safe. Why should we let illegitimate players define the game? Players should be disconnecting in safe spots and if they don't they should suffer the consequences.

Furthermore, I'd say the system should be, zombie aggro, bleeding, unconscious = instant death upon disconnect. Yes and I know someone is going to bring up but what if something in real life happens and really needs your attention, or what if the internet really just cut out then. Then too bad. If you have something important happening in real life what happened in DayZ should be the least of your worries (or don't play DayZ if there are other real life things you should be attending to). If your internet cuts out, then just roll with the punches - your character just had a brain aneurysm and there you go. Far more people use disconnecting as an exploit than people who actually have bad internet or legitimate real life reasons. The game shouldn't tailor to people who try to ruin the experiences of others but rather tailor to legitimate players who are trying to experience DayZ as the way it was intended.

Ok, I see what you mean now.

The only thing I can say though is that sometimes the innocent will get caught up in the punishment, but if that is what it takes to deter dcs from asshats who don't want to die after initiating gunfights then I will happily take the occasional punishment myself.

I'm fine with bleeding out being a stop gap. If you are bleeding then you can't DC or if you do ALT F4 you die.

Once you are patched up you can DC after 15 seconds.

Seriously, if a guy can't kill me after I had to bandage myself, take morphine and maybe pain killers.............. after all those animations kneeling and you still can't kill me.

Then seriously gtfo out of ArmA because you can't shoot for shit.

Edit: Btw Lev, if you are engaging by yourself at the AF and this guy has friends or you took a pot shot and you think you have the right to a kill, then A: I think you are a piss poor bandit because you took a poor shot at a poorly surveyed target. And B: I bet you are one of the bandits that shits themselves and runs away when you see that I just directed two fireteams to envelope your position.......... and then the bandit always leaves.

Not being able to change servers would just add more time to me not playing because I cannot get into certain servers, or I get into a server marked xx time zone but I log and it is yy timezone. Oh and debug forrest anyone? Not bitching, people seem to love to flame anyone that points out the obvious. Not to mention it would turn any noob off to get killed on spawn beach, wait half an hour, get killed again, get told to wait 45 minutes, killed again. Waiting for server response is penalty enough :D Please for the love of god don't turn it into a deathban type of game, because that is what it would be like.

I like the sleep idea, I like the 25 seconds to log off idea. You wouldn't be unable to defend your self, you would just have to sit or stay still for 25 seconds before you can log off. The time cannot be to short, or to long either. Say the time of a small stand off? It's less painful to see people doing it to zombies but the people that shoot at someone, miss or hit, run into a building and log off because I am shooting back is what makes me mad. MAYBE some kind of aggression timer, that prevents a log off if you are in or have been in combat, I am not sure if this is possible with this game or not.

The idea that your character will stay in game when you leave is dumb, but making people wait is the way to go imo. That way you have to find a safe spot to sleep, like in real life. If you have to sit or lay down to log out it will leave you semi-vulnerable so you would still have to be smart and alert, even when leaving the game.

I'm fine with bleeding out being a stop gap. If you are bleeding then you can't DC or if you do ALT F4 you die.

Once you are patched up you can DC after 15 seconds.

Seriously' date=' if a guy can't kill me after I had to bandage myself, take morphine and maybe pain killers.............. after all those animations kneeling and you still can't kill me.

Then seriously gtfo out of ArmA because you can't shoot for shit.

Edit: Btw Lev, if you are engaging by yourself at the AF and this guy has friends or you took a pot shot and you think you have the right to a kill, then A: I think you are a piss poor bandit because you took a poor shot at a poorly surveyed target. And B: I bet you are one of the bandits that shits themselves and runs away when you see that I just directed two fireteams to envelope your position.......... and then the bandit always leaves.

[/quote']

You clearly miss the point. The problem is that the player dc's after he is under gunfire and can't survive without dc'ing. In those cases which I have witnessed the dc comes right after the bandit/survivor has fallen to the ground unconscious and is bleeding. One shotting is pretty tricky due to lag issues.

I'm not missing the point.

I just said make it so you can't DC while you are bleeding/need medical attention.

You have to go to one knee to do any of the healing animations. If the guy shooting can't finish his prey while the prey is kneeling for that long then the hunter is shit and doesn't deserve the kill.

In this game if you can't make the first shot count then don't take it. I also said make the DCer wait 15 seconds before DCing regardless of circumstances, but that you can't even start the 15 seconds until you have repaired your injuries.

Really simple concept that would work and doesn't reward shitty hunters anymore than it rewards scared prey.

If you lose all contact with the central server (ALT F4) before doing a proper disconnect, then you die and lose your shit.