Dempsey (DayZ)

Will 'Rockets' proposal resolve the disconnect exploits?

After watching a recent video interview of Rocket, a question is raised regarding disconnect exploits.

At 14:31 he discusses a system the dev team are working on, which tracks accounts, registering log-in/out events. If the log-in/outs occur to regularly a ‘cooldown’ timer will be applied on respawning back-in. If the user continues to login/out regularly over a long period of time they will face punishment (character killed).

Personally I don't think penalizing players with a respawn cool-down timer will resolve this; reason, because by then they are out of danger! and/or have already committed the exploit that benefits them!

Maybe a countdown timer (as discussed regularly on here) on 'logging out'/'disconnecting' is the closest solution to prevent the disconnect exploits. Possibly even alongside 'Rockets' proposal.

But that's just my opinion.

What are your opinions on this? Will Rockets proposal help resolve the disconnect exploits?

The problem is you are not logging out, Alt+f4 is a system command, as far as I know there's no way to trap it in a program (game).

The problem is you are not logging out, Alt+f4 is a system command, as far as I know there's no way to trap it in a program (game).

Good point. Yea I don't think there is a way to prevent that.

Unless the players character remains on the server for say 20-30secs after disconnect.

• Like 2

Unless the players character remains on the server for say 20-30secs after disconnect.

This

I've been saying since I first started playing that this is the cure. When your char looses connection or you hit abort there should be a 10-30 sec wait period before your char actually logs off.

• Like 3

This

I've been saying since I first started playing that this is the cure. When your char looses connection or you hit abort there should be a 10-30 sec wait period before your char actually logs off.

You run the risk of punishing someone who has genuinely lost their connection.

Actually when I first heard of Dayz this is precisely how I expected the game to be.. If not that the player always sleeps/sits in that position until logging back in then certainly he should remain there for 30 seconds or so because that gives a good reason to find a safe place to log out as well as of course avoiding ppl quitting to save themselves from combat.

I am quite shocked this system is not implemented already

• Like 1

When your char looses connection or you hit abort there should be a 10-30 sec wait period before your char actually logs off.

What a terrible interview.. Rocket must have the patience of a saint or a large pay cheque to put up interviews like that.

Edited by MadTommy

Risk we all share, and is in my opinion completely acceptable. This system has been tried and tested in many other games and works. However it might cause too much strain on the hive to work for DayZ.

• Like 4

Risk we all share, and is in my opinion completely acceptable. This system has been tried and tested in many other games and works. However it might cause too much strain on the hive to work for DayZ.

I can only talk from experience and this does not happen in CoD, BF, WoW, L4D etc...

It's not a risk we all share, I'm afraid I would rather see a bandit lose his/her kill than someone who has done nothing wrong lose their character to a poorly implemented, knee jerk idea.

I agree that is a risk, It's a hard one. Do you think it's worth the risk?

Personally I wouldn’t mind the risk, as I spend most of my time running and in non-combat scenarios. However it would be annoying to die as a result of a crash. Maybe when the game is more stable it could be implemented?

um, if you DC sometimes to avoid death, there is no way to tell it from normal DC ..

the system makes no sense what so ever, there needs to be logout timer of min 30 seconds, everything else sounds like BS attempt to silence us

the system makes no sense what so ever, there needs to be logout timer of min 30 seconds, everything else sounds like BS attempt to silence us

Well, hackers will have a lot of fun then. Everyone getting ported together and starting to shoot? sure i like not beeing able to dc at that point and die to some bs.

I will allways altF4 if i am target of a hack like that, i have no problem dieing in a firefight or just of random bugs but not because of hackers.

No chance escaping them, is not the way to go.

Edited by Slitter

Having a timer everytime don't work until ALL servers are working perfectley. Some servers have great ping but low fps and so on.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

There is a way to stop the command Alt + f4 even though it's a system command, you are still using keyboard interaction with the game, even though it's more a system command, it's just developing a way to stop the command working, but it would require the game to basically hack the system to not allow it, so you would get sued in the face.

Another option to the Alt f4 error is that your character is still online, if there was a logout timer of 30seconds and you mashed Alt f4 then the character would stay in the game untill the 30seconds was over, if you die, you die. Like WoW and other things.

Would stop it also.

Edited by Authentic92

Logout timers wont work because alt-f4 forces it, the timer would be skipped because Windows shuts the Game down.

Leaving your character up penalizes those who could have lost their connection legitimately. There are likely more reasons this decision was not made.

The current implementation that tracks your activity is to try illimate the attitude all together, even if you alt-f4 you need to "relogin" again, so that is "tracked" and the more times you "loadin" in a short, frequent manor, especially if that means when you are being attacked, it begins to throw up flags.

Dean wants things fair but has to solve this issue, also please understand this mod is experimental and though a thousand people can say "do this, do that, wont work, will work" etc, there is nothing better than just trying it out, and going from there. The mod will always be like this until further notice XD.

For the logoff problem, as it was said before, the solution would be to activate an exit countdown (10 sec - 1 min just to prevent disconnecting).

For the Alt+F4 problem instead the instance of player on the server will remain active for an amount of time (maybe equal to that of disconnection) if you exit the game without the correct procedure (Disconnecting).

These adjustments are very simple to implement (And I say that as a programmer) and they could improve the way we play this beautiful survival.

Logout timers wont work because alt-f4 forces it, the timer would be skipped because Windows shuts the Game down.

Leaving your character up penalizes those who could have lost their connection legitimately. There are likely more reasons this decision was not made.

The current implementation that tracks your activity is to try illimate the attitude all together, even if you alt-f4 you need to "relogin" again, so that is "tracked" and the more times you "loadin" in a short, frequent manor, especially if that means when you are being attacked, it begins to throw up flags.

This is even more punishing normal players. What if I'm trying to find a server and keep logging in and out (leaving due to lag, whatever)?

Dean wants things fair but has to solve this issue, also please understand this mod is experimental and though a thousand people can say "do this, do that, wont work, will work" etc, there is nothing better than just trying it out, and going from there. The mod will always be like this until further notice XD.

Then why not "try" leaving the people on the server for 10 seconds then? After proper implementation, the one that doesn't kill the hive.

Why not use the system that many other games use? I'm not getting it. So people with bad internet and crashing system don't suffer for it? Maybe they shouldn't play a game with permadeath? It's like playing diablo3 hardcore with a crappy internet. Yes some legit players will die because of that. That's the trade off, but the number is small. Unless you get dced in a firefight or really close to another player you should be fine. Zeds could do 0 damage to a disconnecting player if you want the legit players suffer less.

This is even more punishing normal players. What if I'm trying to find a server and keep logging in and out (leaving due to lag, whatever)?

Then why not "try" leaving the people on the server for 10 seconds then? After proper implementation, the one that doesn't kill the hive.

Why not use the system that many other games use? I'm not getting it. So people with bad internet and crashing system don't suffer for it? Maybe they shouldn't play a game with permadeath? It's like playing diablo3 hardcore with a crappy internet. Yes some legit players will die because of that. That's the trade off, but the number is small. Unless you get dced in a firefight or really close to another player you should be fine. Zeds could do 0 damage to a disconnecting player if you want the legit players suffer less.

The method is not automated, the devs will monitor the logs and see what activity can be "logging due to lag", but that said, why do you keep joining servers with high ping? Joining and Leaving a server and then doing same to another server is not going to do anything, because you havent done anything, if you were to loot, hop, loot, hop, loot, hop it might be okay, if you're just logging in, notice lag, log out you've done nothing.

You need to be patient and understand how activity will be logged because you can degrade the method. Leaving the person on the server immediately punishes everyone in the form of legitimate DC's or game crashes or whatever, it is also not a good idea to do it this way, so its something the devs want to avoid.

Not all games do this, take Diablo 3, if you force out you're gone, even if under fire, your char is not hanging around, MMO's is a little differently because they want to safely store data and thus do this but often times they have lag issues and your character stays in far to long (eg Aion).

The devs will be implementing this method and analyzing logs to see what sort of activity is brought up, if you do not alt-f4 to avoid dying, you will have nothing to fear, those who do, can expect bans.

one thing this does, that the 30 second timer wouldnt do is prevent server hopping in places such as the barracks.

My only problem with that is, what if I'm trying to find a good server?

IE: I need to find a day server, and I join a night server, or the server's laggy, so I DC.

Will I get penalized for that? I generally hit about 5 servers within 10 minutes to find a good one (the flaws of traveling with six), and I don't want to get my character killed because I want to find a server.

I can only talk from experience and this does not happen in CoD, BF, WoW, L4D etc...

It's not a risk we all share, I'm afraid I would rather see a bandit lose his/her kill than someone who has done nothing wrong lose their character to a poorly implemented, knee jerk idea.

See, the probllem there is that you're referencing the wrong games.

Edited by DryGulch

Interesting how strongly Rocket seems to feel about having underground bases...just wondering how we are supposed to store vehicles underground...not much point having a base otherwise except for tents/equipment

My only problem with that is, what if I'm trying to find a good server?

IE: I need to find a day server, and I join a night server, or the server's laggy, so I DC.

Will I get penalized for that? I generally hit about 5 servers within 10 minutes to find a good one (the flaws of traveling with six), and I don't want to get my character killed because I want to find a server.

I dont know personally, but I think of it like this, if you're logging in, and you're not being attacked, and you're not fighting anyone, and you dc pretty much right away to join another server and this happen several times, why would you be punished? What have you gained? What benefits do you get for being in a server for about 5 seconds with zero activity, the logs would show this. It might even show server info like ping/time/etc (idk but i guess).

The main analysis will be "Is this player Alt-f4ing with Zombie aggro or near players who are shooting at them, and do they do it a lot?"

When I say "a lot" i dont mean "within a short period of time", if you Alt-F4 with Zombie aggro 3 times a day for 20 days straight then expect a not very nice warning.

This is, ofc my own interpretation of how i think it will be.

I dont know personally, but I think of it like this, if you're logging in, and you're not being attacked, and you're not fighting anyone, and you dc pretty much right away to join another server and this happen several times, why would you be punished? What have you gained? What benefits do you get for being in a server for about 5 seconds with zero activity, the logs would show this. It might even show server info like ping/time/etc (idk but i guess).

The main analysis will be "Is this player Alt-f4ing with Zombie aggro or near players who are shooting at them, and do they do it a lot?"

When I say "a lot" i dont mean "within a short period of time", if you Alt-F4 with Zombie aggro 3 times a day for 20 days straight then expect a not very nice warning.

This is, ofc my own interpretation of how i think it will be.

Alright, but would that work in practice?

It sounds like a great idea, but is it possible to get every admin to view these logs with a fair perspective? I know we've all heard the horror stories about admin abuse (Hell, I've been a victim of it!), how do we know that admins won't just go: LOL HE LOGGED, BAN BAN BAN BAN...?

The method is not automated, the devs will monitor the logs and see what activity can be "logging due to lag", but that said, why do you keep joining servers with high ping? Joining and Leaving a server and then doing same to another server is not going to do anything, because you havent done anything, if you were to loot, hop, loot, hop, loot, hop it might be okay, if you're just logging in, notice lag, log out you've done nothing.

You need to be patient and understand how activity will be logged because you can degrade the method. Leaving the person on the server immediately punishes everyone in the form of legitimate DC's or game crashes or whatever, it is also not a good idea to do it this way, so its something the devs want to avoid.

Not all games do this, take Diablo 3, if you force out you're gone, even if under fire, your char is not hanging around, MMO's is a little differently because they want to safely store data and thus do this but often times they have lag issues and your character stays in far to long (eg Aion).

The devs will be implementing this method and analyzing logs to see what sort of activity is brought up, if you do not alt-f4 to avoid dying, you will have nothing to fear, those who do, can expect bans.

Oh okay I thought it would be automated. Won't that create a massive amount of labor tho? There's quite a lot of players.

And sometimes I'm changing servers a lot cause they're either lagged, even tho it doesn't show high ping, or there is pitch black night even tho the name said correct gmt or I simply can't join and get stuck on loading.

If this is going to be as accurate as you're making it look like I'm okay with it.