Just jumping on the "fuck firewood' date=' it's dumb and unrealistic" bandwagon here. If you see no problem with lugging around firewood in your inventory, you clearly haven't been in a forest before.

Also adding hatchets to solely get firewood is dumb. It's just "fixing" a retarded game mechanic with another retarded game mechanic.

[/quote']

This! +1

First: I love this game, best game ever!

I like the possibility to make a fire, it's great for morale to make a fire and great to get warm.

But I do have 2 suggestions, I'm just trying to help to make this great game even better:

1) Stop with the wood-items. Wood is everywhere in the gameworld. Maybe introduce firestart-materials; like old newspapers, empty boxes and stuff like that. Stuff you would normaly find in a town. Maybe make it so that if you try to light a fire without those 'firestarters' it will be much harder to light. And maybe goes out sooner, burns smaller or so. So than you can light a fire without firestarters, but it will be much harder and costs more matches to do so. Which brings me to...

2) Make matches finite (if at all possible). Maybe lose the matches alltogether and let the player find (small) pieces of flint which you can only use once or so.

Thanks for this great game!

Not that I think the mechanic makes sense, but you can find a shitton of wood in the villages, particularly barns.

they over complicated the system they should keep to the KISS principle Keep it Simple Stupid

instead of adding lumber why not add a limit to match use thus ending at the same result however with less heacache and less data used

This. This so much.

I'm also waiting for ageing to be added. Basically, the longer you live the older you get. You begin to lose your eyesight, becoming incredibly shortsighted. Then you lose your bladder, and continue to wet yourself only to have wild animals begin to stalk your trail, then you need to acquire arthritic medication constantly, and finally, in the last stages, you need to find a sugar substitute to drink in your tea and coffee, as well as packets of toffee for sustenance.

Just jumping on the "fuck firewood' date=' it's dumb and unrealistic" bandwagon here. If you see no problem with lugging around firewood in your inventory, you clearly haven't been in a forest before.

Also adding hatchets to solely get firewood is dumb. It's just "fixing" a retarded game mechanic with another retarded game mechanic.

[/quote']

This! +1

True story :)

Not that I think the mechanic makes sense' date=' but you can find a shitton of wood in the villages, particularly barns.

[/quote']

I believe that not too many here have been complaining that they can't find wood - problem is WHERE it FORCES players to go to collect wood.

There are clearly lot of people who really try to survive in the wildernes and do it well, avoiding bandits and survivors too. It's a bloody shame that these players are forced to do something that fights against any survival logic what this game tries to simulate...by forcing them to go and die...I mean scavenge wood in hazardous places.

I really really wan't to play dayz the "right way", but only thing I currently want to do is just run amok in big cities and shoot everyone I see. It's not worth to try to survive out there and then eventually get shot when shopping firewood from abandoned wallmart.

Not that I think the mechanic makes sense' date=' but you can find a shitton of wood in the villages, particularly barns.

[/quote']

I believe that not too many here have been complaining that they can't find wood - problem is WHERE it FORCES players to go to collect wood.

There are clearly lot of people who really try to survive in the wildernes and do it well, avoiding bandits and survivors too. It's a bloody shame that these players are forced to do something that fights against any survival logic what this game tries to simulate...by forcing them to go and die...I mean scavenge wood in hazardous places.

I really really wan't to play dayz the "right way", but only thing I currently want to do is just run amok in big cities and shoot everyone I see. It's not worth to try to survive out there and then eventually get shot when shopping firewood from abandoned wallmart.

There is currently nothing dangerous in forests, so I think the point of putting wood in the small towns was to reintroduce your player to danger.

If there were zombies or zombie animals in most forests...

Just make matches finite, several have said the same im just going over it, again. Its the same principle but much much simpler if you will.

i like the firewood mechanics for the most part' date=' but here are my thoughts on the matter:

1- Add kindle as inventory item : Kindle would be used for small fires that burn for shorter period and would also take up only 1 inventory slot.

2- Firewood should be able to be felled from trees with the use of an axe. and the wood stacks you see at house should provide an unlimited supply of firewood.

3- Matches should not be unlimited and should only have a numbered use before depleted.

4- Add a lighter item to inventory that would be unlimited use like the matches are now.

5- Flares should be able to start a fire. Not the best way but should be able to in an emergency.

[/quote']

+1 ^ Good ideas here.

There is currently nothing dangerous in forests' date=' so I think the point of putting wood in the small towns was to reintroduce your player to danger.

[/quote']

Hmmm. I wonder why have I died 8 out of 10 times in the forests by other players... zombies aren't nothing that I'm afraid. I've had to kill only maybe under 50 zombies during the past week (so I sneak alot). There are enough people traveling in those woods. Every time I play I see some players running there or clearly hunting others. So cut the shit about forests not being dangerous.

There is currently nothing dangerous in forests' date=' so I think the point of putting wood in the small towns was to reintroduce your player to danger.

[/quote']

Hmmm. I wonder why have I died 8 out of 10 times in the forests by other players... zombies aren't nothing that I'm afraid. I've had to kill only maybe under 50 zombies during the past week (so I sneak alot). There are enough people traveling in those woods. Every time I play I see some players running there or clearly hunting others. So cut the shit about forests not being dangerous.

May I ask which forest you are in? The forest between Cherno and Balota?

lol.

lol.

No... Between Cherno and Prigorodky you stupid!

lol.

No... Between Cherno and Prigorodky you stupid!

The street says this one is vast, dense and very secure.

there should also be can openers, that are not given upon rebirth. if you want to eat that can of beans find a can opener, or a knife.

i like the firewood mechanics for the most part' date=' but here are my thoughts on the matter:

1- Add kindle as inventory item : Kindle would be used for small fires that burn for shorter period and would also take up only 1 inventory slot.

2- Firewood should be able to be felled from trees with the use of an axe. and the wood stacks you see at house should provide an unlimited supply of firewood.

( 3- Matches should not be unlimited and should only have a numbered use before depleted. )

( 4- Add a lighter item to inventory that would be unlimited use like the matches are now. )

5- Flares should be able to start a fire. Not the best way but should be able to in an emergency.

[/quote']

+1 ^ Good ideas here.

+1 from me too. this sounds quite balanced actually. I don't really think the need for finite matches and a lighter is in order though. It's just complicating a system that is quite ok already.

I love the fact that we need fire. I dig that I have to find matches (mos people cannot create fire by rubbing sticks together, or banging rocks over dried grass). BUT, having to find firewood is a bit silly, imo. Maps are chalk full of bushes, trees, chairs, desks, picket fences, all manner of flammable whatnot. There's no reason why one should have to find actual cords of firewood.

Which isn't to say you should remove the feature. Instead, allow one to light a fire with only matches (this assumes they have scavenged wood scraps from any number of obvious sources within arm's reach). This fire won't last long, or doesn't warm as well, whatever. If you instead have firewood, the fire's duration is longer and the warming effect more pronounced.

I've sat in a house with a box of matches in my pack, freezing to death, staring at a wooden chair and wondering where it all went wrong.

This prop should give you unlimited fire wood, so you get the scroll wheel option when you stand next to it to collect firewood, just like you interact with fountains or large fuel tanks.

2012052500004.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Traditional books burn better, when will Amazon learn...

I think they should remove the firewood item, and like others have mentioned make matches limited. Perhaps include a lighter which has more uses than matches, but is still limited.

New here, so maybe my opinion is worth less than a can of beans, but I like the idea of the limited use matches. I also think a flint would be a great new item. And you could potentially get many more uses out of a flint than a box of matches. Wood can be found anywhere, but a good flint or matches can be worth their weight in gold. For that matter, you could probably start a fire using a flare, or a flashlight, with the right technique.

I also know from experience and from research that a knife has so much potential. Most survivalists would argue that it's the most important item you could carry. You wouldn't need an axe in real life if you had a knife. You can gut animals, use a knife and a flint for fire, and maybe even a potential melee weapon in a pinch. And yes, I know that there are no melee weapons. I'm just making a point.

Anyways, what i'm merely offering is suggestions. Thank you to those who took the time to read my post. I know i'm new, so i'd appreciate it if you kept the flaming to a minimum.

The need for finding firewood is inane and adds nothing to the game. It should just be assumed that firewood in the form of deadfall is readily available EVERYWHERE. I like hardcore elements but requiring firewood or a hatchet to harvest it from LIVE TREES? is ridiculous and should be scrapped next patch.

Need for firewood takes away from the game's sense of realism and freedom, it's terrible. Kindling is everywhere, limit the amount of matches per matchbox instead.