Someone spoke about the refill system water and i think it would be the best for the wood:

You can get wood from any tree but only if it's not raining or if the rain has stopped for " x hours".

Combine that with limited matches and It will force people to get ready:

If you run without wood and the rain comes you risk infection and you are fucked cause you can't gather wood from tree.

You 'll have to go in village/town to get under cover or find wood in houses.

I think just limiting matches to a random number between 20-50 is good enough, i dont like the whole wood thing either, wood is easily available anywhere in terrain like this with or without an axe.

all this whining is incredibly fun to read. you are part of testing this not here to have fun. oh god how many times do people have to repeat it. Rocket will prolly change it in the next few days anyway.

I don't think anyone here at all has mentioned the word "fun". You can act smug with your straw man there, but it's simply not true. No one here wants the game to be more fun - they want it to be more realistic (or as someone said; "not goofy"). No one is talking about whether it's fun or not to go into town to collect wood or to have to use a hatchet to cut down a tree to make wood (seriously, wtf? Has anyone ever cut down a tree to make a giant bonfire just to cook some meat?). Everyone is simply saying that it's really immersion breaking, because that's just not at all how real life works.

I know that some people whine about everything and some people feel entitled or whatever, but I haven't seen people in this thread do that. I've got to assume that people are allowed to give constructive criticism of the mod, otherwise there wouldn't be a forum.

Hatchet - firewood - knife - carve bow - arrows - Bow & Arrow please.

ya' date=' people bring up the matches.

you already had an item that could have been easily modified to require you to scavenge to start fires. I don't see the logic in adding a whole new item to the game to limit fires when you could have easily just modified the current one to be limited use. now i've read that there is thinking of adding a 3rd item item to the game to circumvent problems created by adding the 2nd one.

thats a bad path to take in game design, you don't ever want to add new features to fix broken ones, instead you fix the broken feature at the start. Right now its possible we'll have two features added into the game to fix just one that was broken, and suprisingly the 2nd new item (hatchet) may be added to fix the fact that the first new item is in itself broken (wood that doesn't exist int he woods). The reality is matches are whats broken by having unlimited uses. Fix them and make them limited and you don't need to add wood, and in turn a hatchet. save the developement time and complexity for more important additions

instead of adding new items just to fix current ones that arn't working, try just fixing the source instead.

[/quote']

+1.

A very good solution !

i find it rather silly to leave the woods and search wood elsewhere...silly silly silly

Can't say I'm looking forward to another inventory space being taken up by a blasted hatchet either when it's not that difficult to find general pieces of wood without one when you look around >_>

Hoping Rocket comes to his senses.

I think the system worked better prior to 1.5.8. Having to go searching for wood in towns just doesn't feel "realistic". I'm not having a go here, just want to put my 5c in there.

all this whining is incredibly fun to read. you are part of testing this not here to have fun. oh god how many times do people have to repeat it. Rocket will prolly change it in the next few days anyway.

I don't think anyone here at all has mentioned the word "fun". You can act smug with your straw man there' date=' but it's simply not true. No one here wants the game to be more fun - they want it to be more realistic (or as someone said; "not goofy"). No one is talking about whether it's fun or not to go into town to collect wood or to have to use a hatchet to cut down a tree to make wood (seriously, wtf? Has anyone ever cut down a tree to make a giant bonfire just to cook some meat?). Everyone is simply saying that it's really immersion breaking, because that's just not at all how real life works.

I know that some people whine about everything and some people feel entitled or whatever, but I haven't seen people in this thread do that. I've got to assume that people are allowed to give constructive criticism of the mod, otherwise there wouldn't be a forum.

[/quote']

ehm actually im perfectly fine with contructive critisism but some people in this thread just dont seem to get what "in development" means. It means that this feature will be iterated alot of times prolly once in a week. all this talk about this feature being silly or killing someones playstyles just points out that this people dont have the slightest clue how development works. you dont have a perfect feature from the start, you need to iterate alot to find the right way and thats what rocket is doing here. this man is sparing all his time to make this and some people just dont wanna understand, that he also has a life which needs food and water. is it so hard to sit back and wait how things play out or maybe trie to adapt to the system and tell rocket what exploits it might come up with?

He already stated that this feature is not finished nor is the wood cellection process and you guys are still making raging posts about it. I DONT GET IT.

Now, my character who had map, matches, food and water... He died due to the fact that there is no firewood in the forest. LOL? I hate this patch actually. And why did I freeze up during the day without rain? Why not warm running? so stupid...

Someone spoke about the refill system water and i think it would be the best for the wood:

You can get wood from any tree but only if it's not raining or if the rain has stopped for " x hours".

Combine that with limited matches and It will force people to get ready:

If you run without wood and the rain comes you risk infection and you are fucked cause you can't gather wood from tree.

You 'll have to go in village/town to get under cover or find wood in houses.

This is a prototype mod so things aren't going to be perfect or make 100% sense, as we all know. Making a fire from any wood around isn't as easy as people make out, maybe so with a lighter and other modern things, but just matches and wood/branches in a forest is hard if you lack the knowledge and experience. Anyway as Oilman has said a system for getting wood from forests is being worked on.

I actually found quite a lot in buildings ( churches, resident homes, the large house)

I found at least 6 different of wood. Not rare at all and if you go searching for it you will find it.

in 1.59 you can't eat anything out of a can before you have found a spoon' date=' and there will be only three spoons per map.

[/quote']

Right, lol. And in 1.5.10 there will be added an icon for fullness of your bladder. Worse, you'll need to find a toilet to empty it, and there will be about only three of them on the map (others got destroyed in the apocalypse, let's be realistic here). So if you are in the middle of a wood and need take a piss - you are in trouble, unless you run really fast to Cherno and pray there is no queue of other survivors for it. Good thing, in 1.5.11 they'll add portable toilets, to ease things a bit. Beans will thus no longer be the only item you can get killed for, your night pot will be that too, you know. Life shouldn't be easy in Chernarus.

:D

I think forest could have some dry wood stumps, branches etc. (under trees) which you can burn, because fresh wood don't really burn. Also looting warmer cloths would be nice but probably its too much work.

If we think about the current weathersystem, where it rains several times a day, it would actually be really hard to find dry wood from a forest to make quicky a fire.

I think that it would require wood from inventory to start a fire but then the fire would last like forever, because you could dry a bit humid wood or it would burn anyway once the initial fire is there.

There are small sheds and piles of pre cutted firewood etc. scattered all around the map and i would see those as additional lootplaces.

Wood as a item should be removed. Building a fire place was fine as it was I just assumed that the delay and sounds when building was my character gathering up wood etc.

I understand they are testing ideas here but I hope this doesn't go to show that with each new feature it will require more and more micro management of thing that bring little benefit to the game play.

e.g.

items required to eat beans

Beans

Can opener

Spoon

Find bean, find can opener, open can use spoon.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone here at all has mentioned the word "fun". You can act smug with your straw man there' date=' but it's simply not true. No one here wants the game to be more fun - they want it to be more realistic (or as someone said; "not goofy"). No one is talking about whether it's fun or not to go into town to collect wood or to have to use a hatchet to cut down a tree to make wood (seriously, wtf? Has anyone ever cut down a tree to make a giant bonfire just to cook some meat?). Everyone is simply saying that it's really immersion breaking, because that's just not at all how real life works.

[/quote']

ehm actually im perfectly fine with contructive critisism but some people in this thread just dont seem to get what "in development" means. It means that this feature will be iterated alot of times prolly once in a week. all this talk about this feature being silly or killing someones playstyles just points out that this people dont have the slightest clue how development works. you dont have a perfect feature from the start, you need to iterate alot to find the right way and thats what rocket is doing here. this man is sparing all his time to make this and some people just dont wanna understand, that he also has a life which needs food and water. is it so hard to sit back and wait how things play out or maybe trie to adapt to the system and tell rocket what exploits it might come up with?

He already stated that this feature is not finished nor is the wood cellection process and you guys are still making raging posts about it. I DONT GET IT.

But people expect a bit of reason from a developer that develops a game they spend their free time in who also likes to shine himself in the light of BESTEST MOD 2012 EVAAAA in the PC Gamer.

That a system that makes you go to villages to collect wood not to die by moving 200 meters while wearing perfectly normal clothes and having it take you an hour of your real life to increase it again will not be fun? Not freaking rocket science.

I rather play a Silent Hunter uber realism mod and plot everything myself. Takes hours but is actually fun. Looking at my screen watching some pixels burn is not fun.

I really like the idea of the whole firewood/matches/body temperature implementation, except I just think it needs some tweaking. I've been playing the same character for a while now, and have pretty much every rare item except for NVG's, but after running for 30 minutes or so to meet my friend in Elektro, I started noticing my TempVal drop and realised what it was.

Soon enough, I was coughing and frantically looking in every barn and openable house I could see along the way to find some firewood. After some 10 or so buildings I finally found some, and lit a fire immediately, only to find that my firewood disappeared through the floor and was never to be seen again.

I kept scavenging another 4 or so buildings and found 2 more firewood piles in a barn, at which point my TempVal was less than 30 and my blood was starting to drop. This time I decided to light this fire outdoors despite the added risk, simply because I was dying. After making a fireplace which settled nicely on the ground level, I lit a fire and was instantly relieved, but after 2 seconds it fizzled out and my fireplace disappeared again. The second pile, to my dismay, once again disappeared through the ground.

After that I logged out because I don't want to lose my M14 AIM, GPS, Uzi, Large Coyote, blood packs and all the utilities. What am I doing wrong?

Arguing amongst ourselves is not constructive, everyone should back off, everyone's oppinion is valid, just keep it polite and constructive!

Step 1: Revert to 1.5.7 fire system.

Step 2: Make matchboxes limited use.

[step 3: Add rare flint and steel which is unlimited use.]

@ KT zu Guttenberg

If lots of people didn't make lots of noise about bad ideas, then they might be overlooked by the developer.

Right' date=' lol. And in 1.5.10 there will be added an icon for fullness of your bladder. Worse, you'll need to find a toilet to empty it, and there will be about only three of them on the map

[/quote']

Oh hell no, if they add such features, then i would never eat Beans again.

Last thing i need is to sneak around zombies, only to alert them by explosive diarrhea XD

• Like 1

Without having played this patch, the new fire feature seems quite akward.. and illogical. It IS logical in the sense that one need wood to start a fire, illogical as you need to head for spawn points in villages/barn to collect wood.. when we spend 99% of our time in the bush, where things to burn exists in abundance, without even a hatchet. I understand rocket's ambition, but there is a point where the strive for realism gets unrealistic due to the obvious restraints of a game platform.

Somone mentioned earlier that if this is to be, the next obvious step is to introduce a spoon which you carry in a backpack slot.. without it you can't eat from the cans. I think that the analogy is correct.. we want a realism in the world of Z, but we have to simplify the virtual world to obtain this realism. I think rocket has a very sober attitude towards the development, described by him earlier; if things does not work as intented, he just takes it away; something that is quite hard otherwise. It is often harder, when it comes to design of anything, to remove stuff, than to add stuff. In accordance to his point of view, this feature is defintately in the grey zone. With THAT said; this is alpha and it's better we try stuff out, at least discuss it, before we disregard it completely.

In essence, I sincerely hope rocket oversees this feature.. remove it or change it dramatically. Kindlings, dry sticks ets should be able to be found all over the place so in essence I think that the old fire feature was good enough.. skip wood completely.. make matchboxes limited to 30 fires, with a change of a match going out or similar.

2 cents and apologies for the English

It really boggles my mind at how people assume that because a game has AN ASPECT of realism, that it therefore needs/wants to be wholesale realistic at the expense of fun.

"Oh, you put a system whereby firewood is necessary to feed a fire"

"YOU MUST WANT TOILETS AND REALISTIC BOWEL MOVEMENTS"

Even as a joke, it's not even exceeding elementary school level of humor.

Obviously, the firewood mechanic isn't fleshed out and is being worked on. Hatchet things sound great, and I personally (along with people who play Day Z for something more than deathmatch) relish in the idea of foraging for firewood to survive.

Shit happened on BF3 forums all the time pre-release, "Oh, you want realistic bullet mechanics... You must want a 9-12 month waiting period before you can respawn then". Fucking morons.

Or, conversely, "I want realistic bullet mechanics". "We've got fuckin' medbags that heal you magically, what the hell we need realism for?".

As to the person who suggested a more specific healing deal, somewhat sarcastically. This is exactly what I'm talking about by differentiating between aspects of realism that are beneficial, and those that are merely a hassle or won't work. We've already got a pretty unforgiving health system, making it less forgiving isn't going to help anything and it'd make medical supplies obsolete if nothing could be done to say... clamp a torn artery.