Sign in to follow this  
Ludar149

MAKE NIGHT TIME MORE LIGHT

We take day and night cycles very seriously and critically, i doubt night-time darkness will ever be nerfed from its current state.

Edited by Diederik
  • Like 6

I think as it stands, the issue that comes up is that night time encourages people to switch servers to avoid the massive number of issues that night time brings up for starting characters.

I mean, lets be honest, without a good weapon and night vision goggles, night time becomes a significantly harder experience then day time. And when there is no penalty for switching servers to a day time one (besides perhaps a loss of vehicles should you be so lucky) there is very little reason not to just jump off.

Now, I do like how intense it is, and I approve of taking it seriously, but I see this as an issue that should be looked at.

It depends how the aggro of Zeds is affected by the flashlight, night time is absolutely no hastle to see in as long as you have a flash light active, but can zombies zero on to the source of the light or do they not notice where the light is coming from? i havent found a definative answer yet from experience but as far as i can tell they dont aggro just by seeing the flashlight, in which case there is no problem at all.

In fact, thanks to the flashlight night time can be profitable, since if you come across a place that has recently dropped flares, meaning possible friendlies, you can blink your light on and off to announce your presence (hoping not to get shot by bandits of course.

I like night time the way it is. Forces people to use flashlights, flares and glowsticks. Hell I used a flare to signal to a friend where I was to meet up one night. It also adds to the danger as other people will see you and shoot you.

Night time isn't the problem, it's lack of decent torch functionality that sucks.

you need to be able to run with a flashlight properly - until this is done, no one will really enjoy night time to its fullest. It'll be reserved for NVGers, who can travel through the night at full speed without burden, for now.

• Like 2

It is a bit dficult for new players to start out in dark servers, but there are a lot of things to help: flashlight,flares,chemlights. They are usually pretty plentiful in loot spawns.

I don't believe you've really played Day-Z until you make your way along a dirt track in the middle of the night in an eight man, three car convoy only to get your arse handed to you by a group of heavily armed players with NVGs.

Check out the kill reports at the bottom left of the screen. I was in the little hatchback at the back of the convoy.

I think the night is just too dark and NOT realistic at all. I've been out many time at full night in my neighbourhood or just with friend in some fields to just hang out and talk without ANY lights around and you're still able to see decently thanks to the night sky light.

I am not saying that you can see super well or anything like that, but you can distinguish shapes and like 25-50meters around you. Here it's just... black with no source of lights, like the sun isn't even reflecting on the moon and the sky's light is not there.

I heard this game wants to be realistic, so yes, night time has to be tweaked a little bit.

• Like 1

Does the game currently have different levels of light depending on the moon and the weather? If it doesn't, it should. I'm pretty sure it does though, because I have joined servers at 3am and been able to see enough to navigate my way without crashing into things whereas other servers have been pitch black. Or maybe the night time level of light is a server setting?

Ingame lunar calendar is approaching new moon, which means nights are pitch black, but no worries the full moon will be back in no time(two weeks).

What about those people that can only play at night?

They are forced to use servers in other countries just to see the light of day EVER.

I can understand the thrill of playing at night but its not realistic to keep it like it is if they want this game to be huge.

That sort of feature just wont appeal to the masses. Only hardcore players that can play day or night.

Sometimes games have to sacrafice realism to make it enjoyable, like broken legs dont really heal with morphine injections etc but we do it anyway so we can enjoy the game.

• Like 1

I think the night is just too dark and NOT realistic at all. I've been out many time at full night in my neighbourhood or just with friend in some fields to just hang out and talk without ANY lights around and you're still able to see decently thanks to the night sky light.

I am not saying that you can see super well or anything like that, but you can distinguish shapes and like 25-50meters around you. Here it's just... black with no source of lights, like the sun isn't even reflecting on the moon and the sky's light is not there.

I heard this game wants to be realistic, so yes, night time has to be tweaked a little bit.

Well... most people do not consider the illumination created by nearby cities, buildings etc.

I am not sure where you live but as long as you are not living in a rather rural place with barely no neighbourhood at all, things would be much different and in a cloudy, moonless night, you would see shit, especially in forests. Keep in mind, that there is no electricity in Chernarus, no lights, no cities illuminating the environment (even if it several kilometres away). So in my conclusion, darkness in DayZ is quite realistic keeping in mind that we are among Zeds in a postapocalyptic world with no electricity and .

You did not read me did you ?

Try to read again... I have empty fields around(it's far enough though) my neighbourhood without ANY lights where there are just trees and grass, and depending on the night sky, you're able to see more or less correctly. The nights in DayZ are just BLACK, that's in no way realistic at all. Even with clouds in the sky, you still can see the sky (but you may have some troubles to distinguish what's around you).

You did not read me did you ?

Try to read again... I have empty fields around(it's far enough though) my neighbourhood without ANY lights where there are just trees and grass, and depending on the night sky, you're able to see more or less correctly. The nights in DayZ are just BLACK, that's in no way realistic at all. Even with clouds in the sky, you still can see the sky (but you may have some troubles to distinguish what's around you).

Maybe you still didn't understand me aswell? Fields around you do not make the night pitch black dark. Of course they will be darker compared to a city for example, however, Have you ever been to a place where there is no city about the next 100km? Was there no moon and no stars to make out in the sky? I have, and honestly, this very much reminds me of DayZ. Don't get me wrong I do understand your point of view, but I must disagree. It actually gives me the creeps how a city more than 30km away can have a huge impact on the nights darkness.

I'm living in a rural small town and I know what I am saying when talking about big empty fields without anything around (no lights, no town, not anything which could be a light source), so basically you got me wrong.

The sky's a great source of light, not limited to the moon reflecting the sun light.

Here, the night is just wrong.

I'm in favor of a very slight boost to the light when outdoors in addition to your eyes needing a small amount of time to adjust when moving from well lit areas to darkness (i.e. turning flashlight on/off).

I agree that the night is just too dark in the game. When the moon is shining you can see, lets say, 10-15% compared to the sunlight. The moon does reflect light and you can see little, but you can see something. In DayZ and maybe even in arma2, the night is just pitch black and you can see nothing.

Thats annoying and very unrealistic. That should be changed ASAP.

I'm living in a rural small town and I know what I am saying when talking about big empty fields without anything around (no lights, no town, not anything which could be a light source), so basically you got me wrong.

The sky's a great source of light, not limited to the moon reflecting the sun light.

Here, the night is just wrong.

You don't get it, do ya? Even if you live in a small town, it is still sufficient to brighten the darkness around you. I am talking about a real remote place, no settlement around the next 250km, it is fucking pitch black with no cities, towns, moon, stars whatsoever. You can't see shit, and by shit I mean nada, nothing, nichts but darkness.

Edited by Antipr0duct

The real issue at the moment is the disparity between night and day for different users.

For some Night is dark but playable, for others it's pitch as night, seems to be an issue with clients rendering night differently for different people.

I get Grey scale at night but outdoors it's perfectly playable, not really any different to day just in Sepia tones.

Around the witching hour I have to turn Gamma up to play if I don't have NVG or want to use lights but again it's playable and this is a whole other discussion...

Indoors I can't see anything but that's as should be.

One friend gets almost perfect colour at night just...dark...the other can't see ANYTHING the moment the sun starts to set, just pitch black nothing...even with Gama on full it's just a wall of black.

The sad fact is though in a PC game with the massive spread of hardware and driver c

hoices, that's never going to be a full and easy fix...